Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Even if you fully agree with Gaiman, Gurrm still signed away his story to HBO knowing full well how long Feast took him to write and how slowly he was progressing with Dance. 20 seconds of extrapolation should have clued him into how far behind he'd be after four or five seasons.
GURRM should just realize he created a franchise, and if he ever finishes the books, even if it's after the end of the show, it just mean another adaptation/reboot of some sort down the road with the "closer to the books" tag somewhere on the cover. Hell, an animated adapation would be nice. Unless he really hosed up when he sold the rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ralph Backshi could direct the animated version! Make it like Lord of the Rings and Wizards!!!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

It's Halloween, i guess:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Outstanding. Threadmates, someone should procure a high-quality printout of that image and ensure it is signed by the GURM itself.
Here is the whole set if you want more nightmare fuel: http://www.playboy.com/galleries/sexy-pics-george-rr-martin/slide-1

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

Knowing the cool mysterious things aren't going to ever be explained in any sort of satisfying fashion is what keeps me from rewatching Lost. Which ironic considering my love of this dumb loving book series.

Edit: new Preston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnqxgoOy60U
I like his videos but I really hate that he even have to cover those "DARIO is everyone and everywhere" theories because they really mask the fact that there are other powers in Essos that could be working on a bigger game. I think he did a good job showing it's more about a coordinated work between powerful players in Essos than Superteleporting Dario everywhere, with Dario just being an agent for them. I really like the whole idea of agents setting up Dany in a war with Yunkai in order to draw Volantis away after see cockblocked their land assaults recruitment drive. It's a Ninepenny Kings level conspiracy all over again.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 9, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

These deviations from the books are starting to get extreme.
TV Lollys Stokeworth is not morbidly obese, is able to speak coherently, wasn't raped. That's how extreme the changes are.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Then you start thinking and realize it's how some people probably imagine the Summer Islands.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Did Tyrion's boat trip actually take him to Valyria I can't remember poo poo.
No Tyrion&JonCo&FakeAegon cross the Rhoyne to go south to from Pentos to Volantis (and they are attacked there) and then Tyrion get kidnapped by Mormont in Volantis and they board the Perfumed Fatguy with Moqorro the Red Priest and they go around Valyria while the volcanoes all start erupting. Then they are boarded and taken prisoners by the Slavers/pirates ship while the Red Priest is left floating on a wreck of their damaged ship (all while having visions with the volcanoes flames) before being found alive a week later by Victarion (who Moqorro heals ).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

What if crispy Shireen and dead Stannis causes Mel to resurrect Azor Ahai reborn, Stannis in Jon's body?

He'll be a hosed up blood magic zombie with undead wounds and the sensiest sense of duty.
If it's basicly Fallout's Master but with the triple voices of Jon, Shireen and Stannis, i am sold.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

to kill Ser Cortnay Penrose. Davos witnesses the birth of the shadow that kills the latter.
Context wise, Ser Cortnay "not appearing in this tv adaptation of the books" Penrose is the castellan of Storm's End and guarding one of King Robert's bastard, Edric Storm. Killing him allow Stannis to take control of Storm's End and the bastard. Edric Storm is kinda having the role of tv-show Gendry in the book. I mean his role as a blood sacrifice to Mellisandre is given to Gendry.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^Yeah, after the invasion, they had several kings with Dragons like Maegor the Terrible Cruel that were North Korean level of control and they learned really quick they had to rule with the locals, not against them. Being served by burned corpses isn't the funniest thing. Maegor had six wives.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 28, 2019

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats what it seems like. but it sounds like they might be doing the whole book or at least more than just the dance of dragons. i mean i am fine with whatever. i like the dance of dragons because it kinda captures alot of what i like about thrones in general. people getting broken by the wheel of history and feudalism and and it all ends in tears. like the winner is a broken kid who sees his mom get eaten alive and end up being mentally unwell and suffering from super ptsd for the rest of his days and the guy that technically won the war is a broken wreck of man whose entire family is mostly dead and he becomes a miserable monster who gets quietly killed by his own men. all the people involved in the war, even the various good people, lose something or everything and the dynasty's days are numbered because they couldnt work poo poo out.
There are a few cool dragon fights in the middle of that war too except of course everyone dies, what a totally unpredictable GOT spoiler!
edit: although isn't one of the other survivor a targ girl(or a boy can't remember) who was taken hostage alongside her bother/sister by two criminals then spared after the criminal asked her/his mother who she wanted to keep alive and they obviously lied to the poor mother and killed the one she wanted to stay alive? or is it the same prince? What an happy family!

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 6, 2019

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why would HBO want anything to do with this diarrhea of a franchise anymore after the fiasco that was season 8.
Dragon money. They got lot of it, they want more.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kylaer posted:

They should have cast a black actor for either Jaime or King Robert. All the other casting unchanged, plot and dialogue unchanged.

Edit: actually, replace exactly one of either Jaime, Cersei, Robert, or Joffrey, that would be even better. Dare the audience to make an issue of it.
Or you know you could cast the characters who were black in the book but weren't in the show of the "sorry we want to make a show about the confederate winning" duo.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

This person probably still thinks that GRRM is also going to swoop in one day and deliver the fabled Better Ending to Game of Thrones to wash the sins of the show's ending away from their precious little brain.
Yeah i remember being a summer child during the 2000s, too. Sadly the night is long and full of wildcards and football blog posts.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I still haven't watched HotD and dunno if I will but it has to be better than the Rings of Power show was. They jammed centuries of events into weeks/months and it just comes across as a massive incoherent mess. RoP didn't poo poo the bed as hard as the final season of GoT but it certainly tried. Which is a shame, because a show focused on the Second Age could easily spend a season, or more, on each major event instead of a fraction of each episode of a single season.
RoP isn't very well written.
RoP has a pointless sword training scene on a market among commoners (just walking by next to the fight) with REAL SWORDS(because lol) where the point of the training duel is to show you how good the main character is at sword (her fighting ability is really pointless in term of plot, there is no real crucial solo fight with her later that required it to be pointed out) and no matter how good the other guy is, it doesn't matter either because you will never see him again this season. It's a pointless action scene.
HotD got a sword training scene between all the future people who gonna kill each other later, when they are still teens, and it's with wooden swords, low stakes and it really instill the little drama which will turn into stabbed eyes and dragon snack sessions a few episodes later. Because the show understand it's about personal drama.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 16, 2023

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'm going to start using 3 spaces after a period to spite you nerds. How's it feel?
Just tab ↹ . You coward.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mokotow posted:

Good point. He might get brain worms like Eric Clapton and numerous other olds and just go “it’s was all about battling wokeism”.
You know when the other current big author in fantasy(even if lower) is JK Rowling, i am not sure he should be the one we should fear will reveal themselves as an "out of touch" reactionary. There are worse states than "not writing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

bone emulator posted:

I'm bringing it up because that's the kind of garbage I'm expecting from the Fucker at this point.
So yeah, more Wildcard books.