Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Glad to hear that it's actually a good read. Once I heard that it doesn't deliver on moving some major plot threads forward, I was at least hoping for an enjoyable read. There are few works of fiction I've just plum enjoyed reading as much as the Song of Ice and Fire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Amazon.de shipped 180 copies early last week.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Ray_ posted:

This post is all spoilers, but nothing too terrible.

Dany still dumb:

Is this some stalwart hero? An exiled Lord or famous knight or even a commoner with exceptional qualities? Nope. It's a sellsword captain with a gold tooth. like 4 paragraphs before:

God I hope she dies.

On the other hand, the Lord of White Harbor is pretty cool.

When I read that all I could think of was :goonsay:

Anyway, dude reminds me of Doran Martell. Manderly takes more overt action than Martell, though. For example, he disappears a few Freys on the way to meet some other northern lords. He intentionally set a slow loving pace and when these Freys raced ahead, they got "lost" and no trace of them could be found.

The Boltons are hosed up, man. Seems as if Ramsay made Theon into an eunuch. Ramsay also made him eat out fake Arya in order to get her wet enough to bed on their wedding night. This after he nonchalantly jammed 2 fingers into her without warning and complained that she was too dry.

Seriously, I hope she gets dead as well. Girl is willing to give up her crown for a piece of poo poo like Dario, but she sends my man Jorah away even though he has arguably won more victories and done more for her than anyone else in her entourage.

gently caress that.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Ray_ posted:

Edit:

lol

Edit x2:

Holy poo poo, only eleven?
...Yep, seems about right that Dany relies heavily on an eleven year old girl.

gently caress that poo poo, it should have been my boy Jorah "dining on whichever parts" of her he liked!

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

whowhatwhere posted:

And people criticize the series for characters not acting their age :rolleyes:

Yea, the girl who has conquered city after city, has the only three known dragons on Earth and designs to conquer Westeros using them, sounds like every teenager I know! :rolleyes:

"I want to conquer Westeros, better banish one of my greatest and most loyal advisers and generals because he informed on me a year or two back under completely different circumstances. Time to hop into bed with a disreputable sellsword with a history of betrayal, because I'm a teenager!"

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 9, 2011

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I really tried very hard to read The Way of Kings by BRANDON SANDERSON WRITING MACHINE and I couldn't do it. It just felt so blah and static.

I'd rather the story be left unfinished then have Brandon Sanderson get his milk white vanilla hands all over it.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Downloaded a copy to my Kindle and the thing promptly burst into flames!

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

J.K. Rowling's "A Song of Ice and Fire."

Edit: Real content, just got to the chapter where Jon beheads Janos Slynt. That was an awesome scene and a long time coming for that fucker.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 14, 2011

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Everytime Danerys mentions Dario's gold tooth I do a weird combination laugh cringe. Dario's gold tooth is like the worst part of this book so far.

Everything else has been pretty cool though.

Especially the Theon chapters. His reminiscing about how much more grand and heroic everything seemed when he marched alongside Robb to war was particularly sad.

I knew those Ironmen were dead as gently caress even as Ramsy (that piece of poo poo) was giving orders to feed them. Yet it still hit me like a ton of bricks when Theon walked by that one Ironborn, impaled on a spike, with the parchment Theon had shown him back at the castle shoved in his mouth.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 15, 2011

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

He also told, and I can't remember who, that you can never let yourself be friends with the men you command.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

It's not a misspelling, just an older and out of use way of spelling sergeant.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

About 50% through according to my Kindle. It's not even funny how head and shoulders above everything else the Reek/Theon chapters stand. Not that I think the rest of the book is by any means bad, though the Danerys chapters are becoming increasingly tedious. The Theon chapters however, they have that twisted magic that left me unable to put down the first three books. The scene with Roose calling Ramsay stupid was awesome, if only for someone finally telling Ramsay he's a dumb savage. I genuinely felt Theon's terror when Roose ordered him to take off his dirty rear end Reek clothes and take a bath.

The Davos chapters come in 2nd place so far, and an honorable mention goes out to what I think was the fourth Bran chapter. Bran trying to call out to his father was pretty :smith:

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I know most of you guys are done, but work has slowed my reading pace significantly.

I just got to the chapter where Danerys finally meets Quentyn and he makes his offer. What struck me most was her referring to Barristan as "Ser Grandpa" in her internal monologue. She's loving up big time. She needs to keep Dario in line. Keep him around as a soldier and tool to satisfy her lusts. She shouldn't be letting that piece of garbage influence her opinion on one of the greatest living knights in Westerosi history. Especially when that knight happens to be in her service.

Someone kill Dario already.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Contra Calculus posted:

Welcome to the last 40 pages or so of this thread.

This thread is wind.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

So assuming that Winds of Winter doesn't make them absolutely key to the plot, what bits of Dance with Dragons/Feast for Bros can successfully be left out of the television series? Right now I'm betting that they can cut literally everything to do with Dorne past the the Red Viper and his duel with Gregor.

Quentyn's story arc accomplishes nothing. I did find him amusing as a character, and there was something novel about a group of dudes out on a journey that they are convinced they will tell their children about. It all added up to squat cause Quentyn just goes and gets himself cooked.

And since Quentyn doesn't amount to jack poo poo the whole "fire and blood," reveal in Feast doesn't really mean anything. The show runners could conceivably cut it all out, or bring Dorne back into the picture in season 5 if they end up siding with Aegon.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 27, 2011

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

I found the point of Quentyn's arc, as I've said before, to epitomize the idea of words being wind. He finds that just because his father had a piece of paper, doesn't mean Dany would recognize his legitimacy. But I disagree with cutting out Dorne. Dorne is probably one of the most interesting areas and scenes in both Feast and Dance.

I agree with you. Dorne is indeed interesting, but what has it added to the narrative or drama of the series? More importantly, what will it add to a television series that already has an impressive cast of characters and variety of locations.

I'm thinking in terms of a production budget and a limited number of episodes to work with. There is no way they are fitting all of the stuff introduced over Feast and Dance into the series and still doing it justice. Some of this stuff is going to end up cut, and I'm just curious what you guys think the series can afford to lose. Knowing what we know of the story so far of course. Maybe Quentyn's death will end up being hugely meaningful to the plot? We won't know until the sixth and seventh books have dropped however.

I think non book reading viewers are going to feel some fatigue/possibly lose interest if the main arcs of the story (The Others/Danerys and her return home) that are set up in season one still don't appear to be moving forward at anything past a snail's pace by the time season 4 (5 if they split Swords into two seasons) rolls around.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 27, 2011

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I also like the character of Ramsay for what he indicates about Roose. Roose has made an effort to downplay some of Ramsay's more outrageous poo poo, but he's made absolutely no effort to control or curb his behavior. He doesn't really care about any of the suffering his lunatic bastard has inflicted on people.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Maester Qyburn should be played by Dr. Drew.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

HBO is going to streamline a feast with dragons into one and a half seasons of entertaining TV, do some SERIOUS re-tooling of the Dany stuff and then press the wrap it up button around season 7. Winds of Winter will still be 3 years away.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Rome had the best stabbings on television.

Also it was really cool how the morality and viewpoint of the characters was so deeply rooted in their circumstances and characters made decisions based on what makes sense in the actual context of ancient Rome as opposed to trying to comment on modern morality which was a rare treat.

If you didn't get a little choked up when Ceasar died you're a broken human being. It's staged exactly like the historical record said - trying to cover his face with his robe while he slowly bleeds to death.

During its first season Rome was 10x the show GOT has ever been wrt stabbing, boobs, underhanded political machinations, and it was dark and grim as gently caress while still being occasionally hilarious just like life. CACK.

Carnivale was gorgeous but after the big jarring plot dump in the last 30 seconds of the final episode of the first season I never returned to it.

Boardwalk Empire poo poo the bed when Jimmy hosed his mom and died.

The best part of that whole scene was the decision to have Caesar not say anything to Brutus, and for the two actors to do it all with their faces.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I don't think he's stuck. I bet he's just lazy and now that he's got millions of dollars and no longer hungers for success, why bother putting in 2 or 3 years of hard work writing a compelling end to the series, when he can just fart around and write whatever drivel he wants. No editors, no masters, just GRRM writing Apocalypse Now starring Tyrion and a whole mess of new characters that just bloat the narrative and make things even more difficult to wrap up.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

OhYeah posted:

Is it just me or hasn't there been any interviews/articles lately where Gurm is talking about the pressure he is feeling regarding the fact that the TV show is catching up to the books? I just find it curious. It's almost like he has already given up...

He probably doesn't actually feel any pressure. If the show finishes ahead of him, and if he decides he actually wants to finish the novels and we get a final book 12 years from now on, it's not as if people will not buy it and read it.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hunky Joe posted:

It's sad this entire post puts things into perspective better than GRRM did in the books. I always felt Robert was the hero throwing down the evil Targaryens with Lyanna as a side note. At least that is the story GRRN spun.

I think he does a pretty good job through the books of letting the reader know that Robert was full of poo poo. It really becomes clear by the 5th book when there are multiple characters talking about how great of a guy Rhaegar was. Including one that is full on in love with the memory of Rhaegar.

That's actually one of my favorite parts of the series. That GRRM doesn't have a character out and out state that Robert's recollection of events is totally wrong, but the clues are there that Robert was actually one of the villains in that conflict, along with the mad king.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Robert isn't a villian in the conflict unless you are high.

Yea, poor choice of words on my part. But he's definitely not a hero in that war and Lyanna was definitely not taken by force. It seems that everyone but him understands that.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I don't care if Barristan dies so long as he doesn't go out like a bitch. He must kill at least 10 random harpy dudes before he gets killed by the harpy zerg rush.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The only way Littlefinger's crazy Sansa gamble makes sense is if he makes sure to get the word out to every Northern lord that Sansa stark is in Winterfell and a prisoner of the Boltons. The North then rises up and gets behind Stannis, at which point the Boltons get smashed and Sansa restores the Starks to power.

It's actually not a terrible plan, given the alternative is taking her directly to Stannis, at which point Stannis hangs him.

What's unbelievable and crazy is that Littlefinger would not know about Ramsay and his exploits, or that Roose would tolerate Ramsay literally flaying a lord's entire family in front of him when the position of their house is very precarious.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The Sand Snakes are just loving terrible, but I feel like everything else is much better than I expected.

Hopefully they can turn the SS into something more engaging in the second half of the season.

Also Stannis better not die by the hands of the Boltons. I will quit the entire series if that happens.