Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
So after looking back over the OP of this thread every several months, I finally decided that if the thread is still going it's probably a game worth playing. Got a couple hours in last night and so far I think it is a very cool game. I appreciate the uniqueness of the dialogue system, though I do wish I was given a couple extra seconds to select my response; there are times when I'm being asked to choose a response to a line of dialogue that isn't actually over yet, and given that managing relationships is supposed to be kind of an important thing, I'm not sure if I like always feeling like I have to panic-respond to everything anyone says and hope I chose the thing that will make them like me.

I also kind of just realized, this must be what it's like for people with social anxiety, in video game form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I hate how Veteran doesn't have street clothes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Brosnan posted:

So after looking back over the OP of this thread every several months, I finally decided that if the thread is still going it's probably a game worth playing. Got a couple hours in last night and so far I think it is a very cool game. I appreciate the uniqueness of the dialogue system, though I do wish I was given a couple extra seconds to select my response; there are times when I'm being asked to choose a response to a line of dialogue that isn't actually over yet, and given that managing relationships is supposed to be kind of an important thing, I'm not sure if I like always feeling like I have to panic-respond to everything anyone says and hope I chose the thing that will make them like me.

I also kind of just realized, this must be what it's like for people with social anxiety, in video game form.

There's a certain conversation in the game where you meet someone for the first time, where the limited time adds to the tension of the scene in a big way.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The vast majority of the time the "tone" of your dialogue will be the same depending on its position. Even if it's got a different label the right-hand choice will probably be more professional, the top one more aggressive, the bottom one the one I instantly select above all others because it must be the best one, etc.

It also might be to your advantage sometimes to have people dislike you :twisted:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Generally a conversation is always going to go the same way (unless you select the "Execute" command, of course), so after you get used to the system, you're less worried about "OH GOD WHAT DO I SAY TO MAKE THIS PERSON LIKE ME" and more into the system of "This guy is being a dick, do I get smug on him or threaten to punch his face".

Albatross.

Albatross?

Albatross!

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Always punch, and always execute.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, the one thing to keep in mind is that making someone hate you in AP isn't a failure state like in every other RPG. It has it's own benefits and little perks that might even make it preferable to everyone loving you.

If you do wanna game it though, just know that being professional makes you the most friends and being aggressive makes every character but one loving hate you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, the one thing to keep in mind is that making someone hate you in AP isn't a failure state like in every other RPG. It has it's own benefits and little perks that might even make it preferable to everyone loving you.

If you do wanna game it though, just know that being professional makes you the most friends and being aggressive makes every character but one loving hate you.

Two, actually.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a perk for putting the phone down on people for chrissake.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a unofficial fan patch for this game yet? :smith:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Is there a unofficial fan patch for this game yet? :smith:

As I understand it, the engine is basically untouchable, so there's no modding or tweaking allowed. The closest we can get is editing an .ini file to unlock Veteran early.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Why would you want to change Alpha Protocol?

It's basically perfect as it is, even though there are parts of it that are totally atrocious and broken. It's an artifact at this point, and I think it should be enjoyed in its full, and truthful, splendor.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sexpansion posted:

Why would you want to change Alpha Protocol?

Sexpansion posted:

there are parts of it that are totally atrocious and broken.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
haha my next sentence completely explains why you want to play those parts.

But anyways, it's cool! I just hope everyone gets to enjoy Alpha Protocol because it is bonkers awesome. It is the best choose your own adventure novel ever written.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I picked up the PS3 copy of this at Gamestop for like 3.50. It was sitting by itself all alone and I felt sorry for it. :smith:

I think I'll give it a run this weekend.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sexpansion posted:

haha my next sentence completely explains why you want to play those parts.

But anyways, it's cool! I just hope everyone gets to enjoy Alpha Protocol because it is bonkers awesome. It is the best choose your own adventure novel ever written.

Agreed, I just hate how there are bugs in the game like where you reload and all the enemy dudes are missing

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Sexpansion posted:

It is the best choose your own adventure novel ever written.
Or, at least, the best one that does not feature cattle raids and duck people.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

RadicalR posted:

I picked up the PS3 copy of this at Gamestop for like 3.50. It was sitting by itself all alone and I felt sorry for it. :smith:

I think I'll give it a run this weekend.

When the thread was back in full swing, I would make a point of this, but you haven't beaten Alpha Protocol until you've played it through at least twice; your first playthrough, you don't even realize how much stuff you missed until you go through again, and suddenly characters have motivations you didn't know anything about, and Mike is doing cool poo poo you didn't realize you could do.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Gyshall posted:

Agreed, I just hate how there are bugs in the game like where you reload and all the enemy dudes are missing
Never use the "load last save" option.

(I thought they patched that. Or did Steam never get that fix?)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crappy Jack posted:

When the thread was back in full swing, I would make a point of this, but you haven't beaten Alpha Protocol until you've played it through at least twice; your first playthrough, you don't even realize how much stuff you missed until you go through again, and suddenly characters have motivations you didn't know anything about, and Mike is doing cool poo poo you didn't realize you could do.
Yeah, I remember beating the game and thinking along lines of "Yeah, that was pretty good". Then I came back to it again for a second playthrough some time later and after that I realized that AP was one of my favorite games.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

(I thought they patched that. Or did Steam never get that fix?)

It was still there the last time I played the game, which was a few weeks ago. The PC port is pretty atrocious in general.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Samuel Clemens posted:

It was still there the last time I played the game, which was a few weeks ago. The PC port is pretty atrocious in general.

I've played through the PC version several times and I haven't had any trouble. What's atrocious about it?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I remember beating the game and thinking along lines of "Yeah, that was pretty good". Then I came back to it again for a second playthrough some time later and after that I realized that AP was one of my favorite games.

Same here, first time I played it I figured it was not a bad game but eh. Then I started seeing all the poo poo I did not see the first time round.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Samuel Clemens posted:

The bug is still there on the PS3 version as well.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

reagan posted:

I've played through the PC version several times and I haven't had any trouble. What's atrocious about it?

The goddamn interface which makes hacking several times harder than it should be. Also the dialog selection doesn't work properly, I keep selecting the wrong ones.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

reagan posted:

With keyboard + mouse I felt like I was fighting the game a lot of the time.

Still a great game, I just would loved to see another patch.

and a sequel :smith:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

It was really made with a controller in mind. I mean, it's not like you really need to aim accurately, just chain shot a full clip in the general direction of a dude's face and you're good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gyshall posted:

The gameplay is the worst part, being able to stroll through the missions without enemies bothering you so you can get to the next conversation would rule.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That is pretty much what the high levels of Stealth do. Or at the very least it reduces things to "Pop invisibility, run out and takedown two or three guys, run away and hide until it recharges"

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
They really could strip out the combat and make a entire game based on the conversation system and I'd play the hell out of it. With that said, stick with the stealth to speed through rather than ever use the enemy-disappear-on-reload bug because it can break some scripting.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Telamon posted:

They really could strip out the combat and make a entire game based on the conversation system and I'd play the hell out of it. With that said, stick with the stealth to speed through rather than ever use the enemy-disappear-on-reload bug because it can break some scripting.

I think I know what you mean, but the combat system allows for the active scenes with S.H., among others, which would really come off as hokey or stilted when you're mid-conversation and PICK THIS OPTION FOR LULZ shows up. That was an occasional problem with Torment, in my experience.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm playing on Hard for the CHEEVOS and it's OK so far. Admittedly I know the game inside out and had Veteran available, but I'd heard that you basically couldn't tranq people, while I'm still finding that one crit shot to the head puts anyone down. I'm a little worried that maybe I somehow didn't select Hard at the title screen, but then again I have died a couple of times.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Later on for some dudes, tranqs to the head will take down 90% of their health, and the poison takes the other 10%, but they can raise alarms while they're still poisoned. You'd need to continue to upgrade the pistol on Hard mode unlike Normal where you can beat the game easily with the starting pistol. Also you can just Chain Shot and shoot them in the head twice with the tranq.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I'm playing on Hard for the CHEEVOS and it's OK so far. Admittedly I know the game inside out and had Veteran available, but I'd heard that you basically couldn't tranq people, while I'm still finding that one crit shot to the head puts anyone down. I'm a little worried that maybe I somehow didn't select Hard at the title screen, but then again I have died a couple of times.

From memory even on Normal the guys towards the end don't drop instantly from a crit tranq to the head, the bleed effect takes a few seconds to drop them, I can only imagine it's worse on hard.

Edit: Scorchy I'm gonna negotiate an end to hostilities on your rear end

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
Get pistols with more power. It's the only stat that matters anyways.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just finished my first playthrough in a long while and holy poo poo I thought I knew a lot about this game but I knew poo poo

Scarlet!!!! you loving scum, so :smug: when Mina shot her down, but holy hell this changes how I'm going to play my next playthroughs, no more tips for miss "journalist" here. would she have still shot me if I had banged her?

Also what happens if you don't rescue Mina and you have Albatross as your handler regarding the last scene (boat)? Are you on the boat with Sis?

Also Professional seems the way to go with most characters, except maybe SIE, I feel like I've gotten the most information from that. also not shooting who don't need shooting, though I kind of regret not shooting Brayko and Leland at the end.

I'm so loving shook right now.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 26, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who's finished the game at least once needs to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-NRkXNa5o4

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The only options for the ending scene are Mina, Scarlet and Heck, I'm not certain how it decides who if it could be more than one(you can have Heck as your handler at the start and then rescue both Mina and Scarlet., for example) but I think it's based on your reputation with them and who you have as your handler right at the end. If none of them are available Mike sails off on his own, muttering to himself.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

2house2fly posted:

The only options for the ending scene are Mina, Scarlet and Heck, I'm not certain how it decides who if it could be more than one(you can have Heck as your handler at the start and then rescue both Mina and Scarlet., for example) but I think it's based on your reputation with them and who you have as your handler right at the end. If none of them are available Mike sails off on his own, muttering to himself.

Thanks.

By the way, I love the music of the game but I can't find the game's tracks anywhere, not even on youtube, am I just bad at searching or is the soundtrack really that hard to find?

Is it on itunes or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

all i can find is this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ55oqaSF7yFrC95isR2e8TTX5pVp8J7z

It's been too long since i played it, I have no idea if there are more tracks than that.

• Locked thread