Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I hate DA2 and like most of obsidians games quite a lot. Should I get this then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
About Combat

The key thing to remember is, like the OP says, this is an RPG. Running and gunning is almost never the most efficient way to clear a room full of badguys. Combat is more about using your skills in combination, almost like a puzzle game, than just pretending this is Call of Duty and getting your rear end shot off.

The best thing about this game is that if you want to play the game like a crazy person, tag SMGs or Shotguns along with toughness and you will be able to just run out in the middle of a room and shoot everyone to hell. Know your skills and how to use them allows you to customize the combat of this game to whatever you want it to be!

Kill Whitey
Dec 27, 2010

Be provocative, be organized.

FrickenMoron posted:

I hate DA2 and like most of obsidians games quite a lot. Should I get this then?

gently caress yes. If you like most of Obsidian's games, you're probably capable of looking beyond the bugs and lack of polish and appreciating Obsidian's ambition,so you should enjoy what AP has to offer. At $5 there's no reason to pass.

Kill Whitey fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 4, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FrickenMoron posted:

You should get it, if only for the quality of the writing. One thing pretty much all Obsidian's games have is excellent dialogue, and this is no exception.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
One thing I like about Alpha Protocol is its relatively short length: that combined with the nice reactivity in the dialogue makes it one of the few games that are actually fun to replay. Usually I just burn out if I try to replay games like Dragon Age: Origins — games that take some 60 hours and where maybe 2% of the content changes according to your choices. But Alpha Protocol? It's fun to replay every time.

P.S. Still need to complete an aggressive shotgun rear end in a top hat playthough... ah, if I only had the time.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You should get it, if only for the quality of the writing. One thing pretty much all Obsidian's games have is excellent dialogue, and this is no exception.

Not just that, this is literally the only game I've ever seen that had the tensest situation be a dialogue.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Kill Whitey posted:

The timed responses in conversations and ambiguous choices actually managed to make me REGRET some of the decisions I made, which was refreshing since I'm so used to being coddled by color coded ego trips.

This is actually a really good point. This isn't like your typical Bioware or Obsidian game where your dialogue options are sitting there waiting for you to peruse them and consider which is the best for the situation. You have keyed responses (Aggressive, Diplomatic, Suave, etc.) and you have a time limit to choose. A rather narrow one at that.
There is a legitimate urgency to some exchanges and sometimes you have to choose the best at the moment in the time you're given. Is it the right one or the one you have to choose? Who knows. It adds real drama to the development and it's one of the reasons why the choices you make in this game have real weight.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tortolia posted:

For as much poo poo as SMGs get sometimes, they're a blast to use if you just use the kamikaze approach. There's something amazing about blitzing a large group of enemies, only having one left alive when your clip's about to empty, then using Bullet Storm for 16 seconds of infinite ammo for the last guy left standing.

Pistols are overpowered, but everything else is more-or-less equally cool.

That reminds me, there's one fight that is an enormous pain in the rear end if you only have inaccurate/short-range weapons (SMGs and Shotguns). Luckily, it's easily avoided (or just bring grenades).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

This is actually a really good point. This isn't like your typical Bioware or Obsidian game where your dialogue options are sitting there waiting for you to peruse them and consider which is the best for the situation. You have keyed responses (Aggressive, Diplomatic, Suave, etc.) and you have a time limit to choose. A rather narrow one at that.
There is a legitimate urgency to some exchanges and sometimes you have to choose the best at the moment in the time you're given. Is it the right one or the one you have to choose? Who knows. It adds real drama to the development and it's one of the reasons why the choices you make in this game have real weight.

Yeah, and, importantly, there is no right or good way to play the game. Shoot an arms dealer in the head? Congratulations, you've lost a potentially important lead. Let him go? You get your information, but at the cost of innocent lives in the area being lost to the continuing war, helped along by the guy you just let escape.

That's an early choice, and by no means the worst or easiest. Everything you do will be thrown back in your face sooner or later. Understanding that there is no 'perfect' ending is one of the keys to enjoying this game.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

slide mcgriffin is a great man with much moral fiber.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The funniest part is that Nolan North used to voice Deadpool in a couple of games, yet Stephen Heck is closer to what Deadpool probably should be like.

I was going to post exactly this. I can't help but feel like Wen is Heck's Blind Al, actually.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Heck: "Do you want a loud distraction or a hot distraction?"
Scarlet: "What's the difference?"
Heck: "Hot distractions have more fire!"
"Hey buddy, you like those TV cooking shows?"

Jumping in to add my praise to the game. I've played through it six or seven times and this is definitely my favorite RPG of the last few years. I'd advise anyone on the fence to fix it up.

One thing I think makes this game special that I never see many people praise is its complete lack of filler. You are always moving forward in this game. There are no fetch quests, you'll never have to run around a "Rome" consisting of two blocks looking for NPCs with exclamation points over their heads, and there are no party members you have to chat up after every mission if you want to unlock their sidequests. Every mission, whether optional or not, ties into the main storyline and is pretty much guaranteed to be referenced later. Best of all, you actually converse with NPCs, not just pull information out of them like computer terminals. You will never have a conversation that goes, "Tell me about this area... tell me about X... now tell me about Y... now back to my other questions... I have to go!"

One thing I would recommend is to play the game with a 360 controller, rather than the keyboard, if you have the option. It supports the pad natively, and I think it plays better with one.

Jokymi fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 4, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ChuckDHead posted:

I was going to post exactly this. I can't help but feel like Wen is Heck's Blind Al, actually.

Nah, more like Weasel or Hydra Bob (less a friend, more a noble steed of sorts).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You may want to put this link in the OP:
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Alpha_Protocol

And yes, I'm totally only suggesting it because I contributed a bunch of stuff to that page :)

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
Can I transfer my saves from a non-steam copy onto a steam one? Do I just need to move over the profile and checkpoint folders?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
One story tip I'd give is to generally take an aggressive tone with Mina in e-mails. You will have enough conversations with her to get your approval as high or as low as you need. But by being aggressive in emails you can unlock some extra intel which can have a storyline effect.

Also don't read any spoilers until after you've beaten the game at least twice. I made that mistake after my first run and found out some mind blowing stuff I'd rather have found out on my own.

Even though it is generally recommended (and rightly so) to stick with pistols due to the brokenness of chain shot all the weapon builds are totally viable once you put the points in. Don't be afraid to go with SMG's even though they look a bit crap.

When you see a mission with the Alpha Protocol symbol on it's icon make sure you have done all the other missions available to you in that hub as those missions will advance the plot.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I hesitated on this game, but you pointing out a "No Kill" option I had to give it a try. Now steam can't download it fast enough.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Parks posted:

I hesitated on this game, but you pointing out a "No Kill" option I had to give it a try. Now steam can't download it fast enough.
There's not only a No Kills option, you get to see how much your enemies have paid in hospital costs (Or conversely, the number of orphans created).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hannibal Smith posted:

One thing I think makes this game special that I never see many people praise is its complete lack of filler. You are always moving forward in this game. There are no fetch quests, you'll never have to run around a "Rome" consisting of two blocks looking for NPCs with exclamation points over their heads, and there are no party members you have to chat up after every mission if you want to unlock their sidequests. Every mission, whether optional or not, ties into the main storyline and is pretty much guaranteed to be referenced later.

I agree, but the Triad stuff was pretty filler-ish.

quote:

Best of all, you actually converse with NPCs, not just pull information out of them like computer terminals. You will never have a conversation that goes, "Tell me about this area... tell me about X... now tell me about Y... now back to my other questions... I have to go!"

Actually, you do this several times in Saudi Arabia. Another thing that makes it a bad representative of the full game.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I make a :( face every time I see mention of Alpha Protocol. I bought the game at release without reading any reviews based on the fact that it was a Chris Avellone game, and I thought it was wonderful. Then, I went online and saw that critics were making GBS threads all over it.

Alpha Protocol deserved better.

Throne of Bhalz fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 4, 2011

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I make a :( face every time I see mention of Alpha Protocol. I played the game without reading any reviews based on the fact that Chris Avellone game, and I thought it was wonderful. Then, I come online and see that critics are making GBS threads all over it.

SEGA not making a AP 2 is one of the biggest gaming disappointments I ever had.

gently caress you Sega, you can pump out those loving awful sonic games that sell bad every year but you can't make a sequel to one of the most innovative RPGs in years?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I make a :( face every time I see mention of Alpha Protocol. I played the game without reading any reviews based on the fact that it was a Chris Avellone game, and I thought it was wonderful. Then, I come online and see that critics are making GBS threads all over it.

It's my hope that between word of mouth and Steam sales, the "well actually we own the IP to the game, not SEGA" which later turned into "we'd totally make AP2 if we got the chance" will eventually become "here is AP2. Also you only shoot guns if you choose to or gently caress up badly."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I've been doing a melée playthrough for the first time and really digging it. Usually I prefer shooter gameplay because melée hits don't feel like they have impact (hi Gamebryo games) but it's actually really fun to wreck poo poo up with my running knee.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Agnostic watermelon posted:

SEGA not making a AP 2 is one of the biggest gaming disappointments I ever had.

gently caress you Sega, you can pump out those loving awful sonic games that sell bad every year but you can't make a sequel to one of the most innovative RPGs in years?

Just a warning, last time Sega made a sequel to a underselling game that I loved, they made NiGHTS: Journey into Dreams.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I loved this game, but I have never played DA 2, although I liked the first one. The thing I like about AP is that the responses to your dialogue choices are never super obvious like in every other RPG. The fact that you have a very limited time to make them also made me happy. Fun game buy it now.

Kill Whitey
Dec 27, 2010

Be provocative, be organized.

Slantedfloors posted:

There's not only a No Kills option, you get to see how much your enemies have paid in hospital costs (Or conversely, the number of orphans created).

I tend to enjoy racking up a high kill counts in most games, but I found AP's missions much more satisfying when I aimed to KO/avoid enemies and avoid triggering alarms. It was cool that your handlers often commented on the fact that you avoiding setting off any alarms, it's nice to feel appreciated!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Alpha Protocol is the best spy movie I ever played.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
They don't really need to make a direct sequel to AP. I would be perfectly happy with Deus Vault the game. An AP style game set in the Cold War era. I would buy it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They don't really need to make a direct sequel to AP. I would be perfectly happy with Deus Vault the game. An AP style game set in the Cold War era. I would buy it.

Part of me thinks if you wanted to continue the AP universe you'd almost have to do it as a prequel or else people are going to feel alienated in a world that either doesn't acknowledge their particular choices or counts one approach as canon.

Deus Vult would be sick.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
The thread title forced me to buy it for $5. Dragon Age was boring, hopefully this isn't. 4th game I've bought during the sale, and still under $60 total.

modig fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 4, 2011

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
Sup new AP thread?!

If you are on the fence, $5 for AP is a steal. I'd say it's a little bit easier then the Splinter Cell games, and a bit less thoughtful than Dues Ex (I), but is a generally fun mix of both, with humor and interesting sideshows.

My first playthrough was on Recruit "gently caress yeah!!!". I've always planned on playing again on Veteran, but a faulty hard drive has left me lacking a necessary save file (or something). Can someone tell me how to do this without playing through on recruit (again) ?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Two questions:
1. How well will this run on my Inspiron with Intel graphics?
2. Will this game fill the Deus Ex shaped hole in me while I wait for Human Revolution?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

mason likes onions posted:

Sup new AP thread?!

If you are on the fence, $5 for AP is a steal. I'd say it's a little bit easier then the Splinter Cell games, and a bit less thoughtful than Dues Ex (I), but is a generally fun mix of both, with humor and interesting sideshows.

My first playthrough was on Recruit "gently caress yeah!!!". I've always planned on playing again on Veteran, but a faulty hard drive has left me lacking a necessary save file (or something). Can someone tell me how to do this without playing through on recruit (again) ?

I paid £13 ($20?) and it was worth every penny. $5 is not only a bargain, it is close to outright theft, and you should all buy it then feel ashamed. Then stop feeling ashamed and enjoy a really great game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Oh yeah, two words of advice for anyone picking it up today:

1) If it's your first playthrough, pick the Recruit option. It makes it a little trickier from the start, since you'll have less points to play with, but storywise, it makes a little more sense and you'll unlock the overpowered Veteran class when you finish the game. Just be sure to always pick the Recruit dialogue options for an extra 10AP.

2) A (slightly spoilerful) word for dealing with Conrad Marburg in Rome: always pick the Suave option when dealing with him. He hates cocky upstarts and, trust me, you're going to want to get under his skin as much as possible. You'll thank me later, believe me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

2) A (slightly spoilerful) word for dealing with Conrad Marburg in Rome: always pick the Suave option when dealing with him. He hates cocky upstarts and, trust me, you're going to want to get under his skin as much as possible. You'll thank me later, believe me.

Dont you have to Get the initial suave perk to pull any of that off?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Avocadoes posted:

Dont you have to Get the initial suave perk to pull any of that off?

Not sure. As far as I know you just have to get him to hate you enough, which isn't too difficult or painful to do. Then again, I went to Taipei first, so by the time I got to Rome, I had a fair amount of conversational perks under my belt already.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Just chiming in to say that the SMG-wielding, rear end in a top hat recruit is a great way to play if you just want to bust some terrorist heads. My biggest complaint about this game is there aren't any car chases. How can you have a spy game without a car chase?

My dream game using the Alpha Protocol setup would either be a Dirty Harry style cop game or an X-Files-ish game. AP with aliens and occult poo poo would be neat.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

G22 all the way.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Soonmot posted:

G22 all the way.

Something that fills in more of the apparently scant backstory of Albatross and Sis would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You play as Sis.

Dialogue wheel:

code:

...!      ...?

Pistols

• Locked thread