Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
There's a soundtrack rip floating around the internet. But besides that, there's only those few promotional tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I want to make a gun toting complete gives no fucks playthrough, what's better, assault rifles or submachine guns?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Shotguns. :colbert:

But backwards baseball cap and submachine guns makes the douchiest looking Thorton.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Shotguns are great for kicking down doors and blasting down badguys.

It's how I did my rear end in a top hat run, it was also the fastest playthrough I've done of this game

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Apart from the tracks on the above play-list the licensed music in the game is as follows:
The Lonely Island - I'm on a boat.
Unkle feat Gavin Clark - Broken
Stabbing Westward - Save Yourself
Xzibit - Dying to live
Pleasure Club - Cops & Criminals
Our Lady Peace - One Man Army
Stephan Clark - Wanna Feel it.
Autograph - Turn up the Radio
Killing Joke - Eighties
Europe - The Final Countdown

I'm not sure all of those tracks are in the game proper but they do exist in the game files. As this is an unreal engine game there are tools available to extract the music from the game files.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Where would an Xzibit song even go in this game?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

2house2fly posted:

Where would an Xzibit song even go in this game?

p. much everywhere

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Hank Morgan posted:

Europe - The Final Countdown

I'm not sure all of those tracks are in the game proper but they do exist in the game files. As this is an unreal engine game there are tools available to extract the music from the game files.

Wasn't this song supposed to be used in the Brayko fight before it got switched to Turn Up the Radio? I don't think it appears in-game at least.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Make ap2 god damnit

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Make ap2 god damnit

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

AG3 posted:

Wasn't this song supposed to be used in the Brayko fight before it got switched to Turn Up the Radio? I don't think it appears in-game at least.
On Twitter, Chris Avellone said that they decided The Final Countdown belonged to Arrested Development. I'm glad they went the direction they did, I think Turn Up the Radio fits Brayko better.

I definitely don't remember ever hearing I'm On A Boat in the game, but it's pretty obvious where it would have been used.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Hannibal Smith posted:

I definitely don't remember ever hearing I'm On A Boat in the game, but it's pretty obvious where it would have been used.

The mission where you run into Sis? :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Make ap2 god damnit
I know you told me in that email not to get juvenile with you, but Anal Penetration 2 came out in, like, the 80s dude.

Polaron posted:

The mission where you run into Sis? :v:
the ending :v:

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Only for the Heck ending, though.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...
So AP is now on the PS Now service as a subscription game. There is also currently a free trial of PSNOW. To make a long story short, what a great loving game.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
So what you're saying is that if you have a PS Now subscription, you have absolutely no excuse for missing out on this game?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Just finished my first playthrough in a long while and holy poo poo I thought I knew a lot about this game but I knew poo poo

Scarlet!!!! you loving scum, so :smug: when Mina shot her down, but holy hell this changes how I'm going to play my next playthroughs, no more tips for miss "journalist" here. would she have still shot me if I had banged her?

Also what happens if you don't rescue Mina and you have Albatross as your handler regarding the last scene (boat)? Are you on the boat with Sis?

Also Professional seems the way to go with most characters, except maybe SIE, I feel like I've gotten the most information from that. also not shooting who don't need shooting, though I kind of regret not shooting Brayko and Leland at the end.

I'm so loving shook right now.

The only way to figure out sort of what is going on in the game really is to play it several times over, making different choices and friends. And in regards to your first spoiler, doing different things in regards to that person will indeed grant some different results, if you're smart about your investigation in the final area of the game.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Just finished my first playthrough in a long while and holy poo poo I thought I knew a lot about this game but I knew poo poo

Scarlet!!!! you loving scum, so :smug: when Mina shot her down, but holy hell this changes how I'm going to play my next playthroughs, no more tips for miss "journalist" here. would she have still shot me if I had banged her?

Also what happens if you don't rescue Mina and you have Albatross as your handler regarding the last scene (boat)? Are you on the boat with Sis?

Also Professional seems the way to go with most characters, except maybe SIE, I feel like I've gotten the most information from that. also not shooting who don't need shooting, though I kind of regret not shooting Brayko and Leland at the end.

I'm so loving shook right now.

heh. The great thing about this game is that no matter how you play, it always feels like the way you were intended to play it...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

hectorgrey posted:

heh. The great thing about this game is that no matter how you play, it always feels like the way you were intended to play it...

This is true. Pretty much every path gives you benefits, so you never feel like you're missing out on cool loot for not doing a quest "The Right Way". There's no right and wrong in the world of Alpha Protocol, just choices.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

hectorgrey posted:

So what you're saying is that if you have a PS Now subscription, you have absolutely no excuse for missing out on this game?

I had no excuse. I played five or six hours, then got it for the PC. It's freaking brilliant.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

poptart_fairy posted:

Anyone who's finished the game at least once needs to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-NRkXNa5o4

Well hell, now I want to beat the game again playing as Albert Wesker.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Does anyone have a link to that video where of Mina at the end when she's got a high opinion of you but you've been a jerk to everyone else, and her actress gives an amazing performance?

I can't find it on Youtube.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Does anyone have a link to that video where of Mina at the end when she's got a high opinion of you but you've been a jerk to everyone else, and her actress gives an amazing performance?

I can't find it on Youtube.
Do you have more to go on? Do you remember something she says in particular? Is it really prompted by you being a dick to everyone except her? Or is it, for example, that you've been sent to assassinate her on Leland's order?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Crappy Jack posted:

This is true. Pretty much every path gives you benefits, so you never feel like you're missing out on cool loot for not doing a quest "The Right Way". There's no right and wrong in the world of Alpha Protocol, just choices.
TBH I felt like the Angry path doesn't feel all that great. I mean granted it makes sense in and of itself - in that path, Thorton is an angry bull and there are quite a few characters smart enough to play matador - but in particular I feel like the Marburg conflict, which is the best part of the game imo, gets short shrift compared to the other paths. Cocky Thorton can break him and kill him, profesh Thorton can turn him. Angry Thorton gets nothing

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just so we're clear, Angry Thorton is always DGAF Shotgun rear end in a top hat Thorton, right?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yes, "choose top option" Thorton

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I finally finished my first play through of this after putting it off for quite some time. Went the pistol/karate good guy way. What do you guys suggest for a second playthrough?

I went very minimal in terms of my kills. The few times I did let loose they were on the guys who I generally deemed bad enough to be killed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shotgun rear end in a top hat Thorton. Though don't stomp on downed enemies if you want a high body count because it will count as a non-lethal takedown.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seriously. Shotgun rear end in a top hat gives such a different experience in both combat and conversation it's hilarious. Kind of amazed that none of the characters question why Thorton was hired as a spy in the first place.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

poptart_fairy posted:

Seriously. Shotgun rear end in a top hat gives such a different experience in both combat and conversation it's hilarious. Kind of amazed that none of the characters question why Thorton was hired as a spy in the first place.

I hate that I'm such a RPing nerd that I can't bring myself to actually play this way, because I've seen videos online, and it looks like fun. I mean, I have no problem shooting terrorists or whomever in the face, but the gelato guy? He's cool, he gives you free gelato! But since killing him negates the entire purpose of the mission in the first place, such a MT must not just be an rear end in a top hat, but also an imbecile.

There's smart-good Thorton, and smart-bad Thorton, but those basically play the same way. Stupid Thorton is just something I have to admire from afar.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's also Smarmy Douchebag Thorton, who is also great.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Accordion Man posted:

There's also Smarmy Douchebag Thorton, who is also great.

I'd forgotten about him. Mike Thorton: "The ponciest ponce who ever ponced past the poncing parlor."

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Every time I see this thread at the top of the page I get very sad. This was such a great loving game that really deserved to be successful... and have a sequel.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Look at it like this: Just about every time the thread gets bumped it's because somebody randomly played this game for the first time and loved it. Considering this thread is going on four years, that's pretty good. This game had so many great moments to uncover on my own, it's great getting to relive what certain reveals were like for first-time players.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jack of Hearts posted:

I hate that I'm such a RPing nerd that I can't bring myself to actually play this way, because I've seen videos online, and it looks like fun. I mean, I have no problem shooting terrorists or whomever in the face, but the gelato guy? He's cool, he gives you free gelato! But since killing him negates the entire purpose of the mission in the first place, such a MT must not just be an rear end in a top hat, but also an imbecile.

There's smart-good Thorton, and smart-bad Thorton, but those basically play the same way. Stupid Thorton is just something I have to admire from afar.

One great thing about this game is that you can bust out a completely different conversation style for one-offs like the gelato guy. Westridge even establishes in the introduction that one reason he recruited Mike is how supposedly adaptable he is to dealing with people, so you can RP nerd your way through the game like that if you want. Angry aggressive rear end in a top hat to most people, professional and cool to the people you like. You can have your wodka and drink it too.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

El Tortuga posted:

Look at it like this: Just about every time the thread gets bumped it's because somebody randomly played this game for the first time and loved it. Considering this thread is going on four years, that's pretty good. This game had so many great moments to uncover on my own, it's great getting to relive what certain reveals were like for first-time players.

I played through this game five separate times and got new scenes/dialogue/missions/etc. each time. Absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately it'll be a long time before we ever see anything like it again (we'll never see another game like it :()

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

X_Toad posted:

Do you have more to go on? Do you remember something she says in particular? Is it really prompted by you being a dick to everyone except her? Or is it, for example, that you've been sent to assassinate her on Leland's order?

I can't remember the exact process the poster described, but I think it's either negative opinions from everyone else and positive Mina opinion or choosing the smug bastard Thornton options for everyone else and positive Mina opinion, and maybe those combined with the spoiler?

But the gist of the conversation is that she can't believe that you could be so much of a jerk that even though you've been a jerk to everyone else, you've conned her into liking you.

It's a super emotional reading and I remember it only because I watched a youtube of it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Litany Unheard posted:

I played through this game five separate times and got new scenes/dialogue/missions/etc. each time. Absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately it'll be a long time before we ever see anything like it again (we'll never see another game like it :()
It's sad there really isn't many, but I recommend checking out supergreatfriend's LP of MODE. MODE is this unreleased mid 90's FMV game where you play as a party crasher at this eccentric rich guy's art party. The main form of gameplay is a dialogue system determined by colors, green is positive, blue is neutral, and red is negative. It's actually a really reactive game like AP and there's a lot that you can miss out on. It really felt like a spiritual predecessor to AP when it comes to player reactivity despite the technical limitations and weird UI.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 7, 2015

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'd forgotten about him. Mike Thorton: "The ponciest ponce who ever ponced past the poncing parlor."
Yathzee's "review" of that game was hilarious. Especially that line and the whole thing about graduations in being a complete rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

fez_machine posted:

I can't remember the exact process the poster described, but I think it's either negative opinions from everyone else and positive Mina opinion or choosing the smug bastard Thornton options for everyone else and positive Mina opinion, and maybe those combined with the spoiler?

But the gist of the conversation is that she can't believe that you could be so much of a jerk that even though you've been a jerk to everyone else, you've conned her into liking you.

It's a super emotional reading and I remember it only because I watched a youtube of it.

I wonder if the trigger is that opinion with literally everyone is negative but is positive for her? Because as much as I'd like to go through that scenario, I can't be an rear end in a top hat to Stephen.

• Locked thread