Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
One story tip I'd give is to generally take an aggressive tone with Mina in e-mails. You will have enough conversations with her to get your approval as high or as low as you need. But by being aggressive in emails you can unlock some extra intel which can have a storyline effect.

Also don't read any spoilers until after you've beaten the game at least twice. I made that mistake after my first run and found out some mind blowing stuff I'd rather have found out on my own.

Even though it is generally recommended (and rightly so) to stick with pistols due to the brokenness of chain shot all the weapon builds are totally viable once you put the points in. Don't be afraid to go with SMG's even though they look a bit crap.

When you see a mission with the Alpha Protocol symbol on it's icon make sure you have done all the other missions available to you in that hub as those missions will advance the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Holy Calamity! posted:

In the old thread someone detailed how to turn Marburg, including what dossiers to get and such. Any luck getting a repost of that?

Here's the guide that I posted in the last thread
Some spoilers ahead.

To turn Marburg on Parker. You need pretty full dossiers on both characters. Getting all of Marburgs dossiers is pretty easy but there are a couple of Parker dossiers that are easy to miss.
I just did this recently so here a guide to doing it.

Parker's dossiers

Do the stealth orientation and the extra stealth challenge to get the first two.
Mina will send you an email complaining about Darcy. Take the aggressive reply to this and she will apologise and she will offer to send you intel on Parker, Darcy or Westbridge. This is easily missed so be careful.
Another email from Mina when Westbridge is on the firing range again a choice of one of Parker,Darcy or Westbridge.
On the villa mission buy the intel that reveals the secret tunnel in the garden. Right at the end of the mission you will gain access to this. You will find both a Parker and a Marburg dossier in there. Check your map when in the garden.
His final dossier is found right before you contact him but it isn't needed for turning Marburg as the conversation that triggers this event has already happened.

Marburg's dossiers

Automatically at the start of Rome.
Email automatically sent some time following the gelatto shop mission
Second floor of the CIA listening post. I think it is behind a blackboard in the right hand room as you go up the stairs. Easy to miss.
An intel buy before the Cafe meeting.
In the secret tunnel in the villa alongside the other Parker dossier.
In the museum right where you make the choice on whether to save Madison or disarm the bomb. There are two doors in front of you. The dossier is behind one of them.
In one of the rooms in the greybox but as with the final Parker dossier you will have already turned Marburg at this stage.

Triggering it all

After starting the final mission you will be taken away for execution and you will meet with Marburg. If you have done everything right you will get a special dialog option titled Deus Vult. Pick this and sit back and watch the results.

To turn Parker on Marburg you need to find out Madison's relationship to Parker.
You will need the full dossier on Madison as follows

Automatically when she is first mentioned.
Intel buy at some stage before meeting her.
In Marburgs villa. In the room with the piano right after finding your equipment it is located next to a couch.
In the Roman ruins right next to the communications array.
Immediately after sleeping with her the relationship will be revealed automatically in dialog.

I think you need a positive relationship with this character.

Triggering this

Choose to disarm the bombs in the museum so Marburg will kill Madison
Contact Parker in the final mission and reveal what Marburg did. I think this will overwrite the deus vult option if you have already taken that one.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

One thing to note when you are playing a stealth character is that the early starting armour is too noisy for stealth. You are actually better off going on missions in your civvies until the good stealth armours show up.

Also the most important thing in combat is to get critical hits.
For Pistols you need to line up the cross hairs by holding your aim on the target.
For shotguns you "charge up" your attack by holding the aim button, you can do this in advance of combat to get a head start.
For rifles you will need to hold your aim steady and the crosshair will tighten up for a critical.
For SMGs you need to score consecutive hits on your targets before running out of ammo. A critical hit multipler will build up.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Doppelganger posted:

This thread is pretty surreal to me. I played AP for about an hour, hated it, and never went near it again. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of trying it again after reading some of the posts here though.

You should. A hour barely gets you through the initial tutorial and at that you've probably missed the bonus training challenges. You'll still have to tough out Saudi Arabia but everything after that is golden.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

evilmiera posted:

True, but even then, you can have a lot of fun challenging yourself in some of the really difficult levels. For instance, managing the arms dealer mission without ever being spotted, including the final room. It takes a lot of work, some luck, and probably about a dozen reloads or more patience than I have, but the reward of knowing you managed it is grand.

Yeah that's the single hardest sneak in the game. It's also one of the five missions that can count for the one with the Shadows perk/achievement.

As said earlier stealth is about getting the drop on enemies not being Garrett from the Thief games

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Role Play McMurphy posted:

OK, since we've had like 30 testimonials about people making this mistake and I missed the entire thing on my first playthrough:

Hey, have you just begun the final mission?! Read this first!
Welcome back to the Greybox! There is a point during this level where you return to the nondescript grey junction room that you raced through during the tutorial. The one right off the interrogation room with all the video screens, remember that? Make sure you don't just run to the opposite end of the room once you're here!

There are important plot developments that occur in the doors on either side of you. Before you cross the threshold of the room, make sure you go into the doors on your left and right.

I'm trying to describe the room from memory... is that helpful enough without being too revealing?

The first room is almost immediately after you talk to a former co-worker. You go through the door to the right.

The second room is when the antagonist appears on a tv screen. You go through the door to the left. There will be a screen above the door showing who is in it.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Jose posted:

So can anyone tell me how viable a stealth/martial arts run would be? I'd quite like to do the whole game without using a gun if its not going to be too hard. Will be playing on recruit this time as well

Do an normal recruit run first as that will unlock veteran level for you if you haven't unlocked it yet. The extra skill points you get on veteran will make a huge difference if you are going the martial arts route as otherwise you will be struggling in the early game on recruit due to a shortage of skill points.
If you do a recruit run make sure you take every recruit dialogue choice in the tutorial so you get a skill point bonus.

Edit: I don't have any save games available but maybe someone should upload a profile that has unlocked veteran if that's possible.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Jose posted:

In order to get the Lady's Man perk do I have to choose Sie has my handler for the final mission?

You'll also need to pick her if you're going for the virgin perk.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Naw, it's possible to do - just harder. There's even unique dialogue from the boss if you do it stealthily; he has no idea what the gently caress's going on because you've just come out of nowhere.

There are three special words coming to mind right now.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Potsticker posted:

My favorite "this loving game" moment was when I found out you could get (Moscow spoilers) Brayko to kill Surkov.

I can get this event without any bother but I have a feverish memory of seeing or reading about Brayko killing Championchik for me but I can't seem to trigger this. Any ideas on how if possible?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Green Bean posted:

I bought this game at release, but this new thread got me to go another few rounds with it. Just finished a Professional Stealth+Pistols patriot who saved the world, and obviously now I have to do another playthrough. I'm thinking a gadget-focused run with a fun combination of Suave and Aggressive sociopathy. I'll probably level up Pistols, if only for the boss fights, but is going pure gadget a viable possibility or will I run out of money and gadgets halfway through every mission? If it is viable, does anyone have any advice/favourite strategies?

Gadgeteer is one of the most fun builds you can do. You get perks for carrying extra gadgets when you use a particular gadget enough times and if you choose to blackmail Halbech at every opportunity you should be okay for cash. Combine with a suitably leveled weapon for emergencies or even martial arts and you can really go to town on enemies. Incendiary bombs are probably the best gadget weapon as they have a wide radius, last a long time and the AI is dumb enough to run into the fire.
You'll still probably have most of your kills/takedowns done with stealth though.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 8, 2011

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

Also RE: the music, this was my favourite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOYac7TPZQ4

Unfortunately can't find tracks from the game in good quality.

If you have the PC version you can extract music and dialogue files using this tool.
The music is located in the upk files located in [alpha protocol dir]\apgame\cookedpc\packages\music

Regarding the missile strike I never bought into the theory that Mina was the one who launched the missiles at you. It was clearly Halbech who did that in order to destroy the evidence. Mina did however cut you off from the government and Alpha Protocol at the same time in order to get you to work for her. And if you want to feel anger at that been done to you then the game allows you to express that.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I suppose it could be argued that when Mina flagged Mike as going rogue that whomever had their finger on the missile launch button paniced. The original plan could have been to just recover the missiles, bring Mike back to the controlled enviroment of the Greybox and then destroy the evidence. When Mike was flagged as rogue they decided they had to both destroy the missiles and kill Mike.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

LAWLandMine posted:

So I'm ready to play Alpha Protocol and it doesn't work :(

When I start the game I get the splash screen to choose if I want to start the game or look at the read me and what not. After clicking start game it automatically minimizes down to my task bar. When I click on it on my task bar it opens up a white box that says not responding. Haven't been able to get it work yet.

I can run this game according to Can You Run It as well, so its not that.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about drivers and physx causing problems for them. You could try that.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

LAWLandMine posted:

Trying a fresh install on Steam but I have a feeling it isn't gonna do much. Reinstalled physx and updated Nvidia drivers.

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=55130 First result on google for physx and Alpha protocol. Thread seems to suggest switching to an older driver.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Silent Running, use it. You're wearing heavy armor as a veteran.

If you don't open your locker first then you get to do it in your PJs.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

^^^ This guy has the right idea.

Jamsque posted:

Is it possible to make a run and gun build? My stealthy Thornton was really fragile, I never really like I could go head-to-head with guys using guns or melee, and until I maxxed out the range on the pistol crit shot I had no way of dealing with enemies that were on the other side of open environments.

All the weapons are pretty good once you put the points into them. SMGs are a very underrated build. I usually recommend a bulletstorm-brilliance-bulletstorm combo to absolute demolish your enemies. Just hold down the trigger and charge into them. Shotgun rear end in a top hat is another popular build.
Just pump your toughness a bit more than in a stealth build and use the technical skills that boost your weapon damage/armour and you should do fine.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I just sperged out for an hour trying to identify the used and unused music tracks for the ending. From what I can make out they are:
Xhibit - Dying to Live
Pleasure Club - Cops and Criminals
Our Lady Peace - One Man Army
The Lonely Island - I'm on a boat
Stephan Clark - Wanna feel it
Unkle (feat Gavin Clark) - Broken
Stabbing Westward - Save Yourself.

In addition I came across the composer's website and he has posted a bunch of tracks from the game. A couple of tracks have malformed urls but you can fix them by removing the "\" next to the "'".

Noxville posted:

I assume pretty much everyone here makes their Thorton look like this, right?

I can't not make my Thorton look like this.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

And I was worried since after Saudi Arabia a few things had vanished, but if it's related to people liking/disliking you I guess that makes sense. I'm also curious if Marburg running away at the end of the Rome Museum level was because I took too long or what. This game makes me question everything because of the massive level of spoiler boxes in this thread.

It sometimes quite interesting to look into the sources of where you are getting weapons. The classic case is Nasri is the main weapon dealer in Saudi. If you kill him you cut yourself off from the good stuff. Most of the major factions such as G22/VCI will sell you stuff as well as the independent operators like Heck and Gregori(I could be wrong but I think how you treat Grigori effects the prices you get from him as well)

As for your spoiler there is a way to get that scene to play out differently but it is not time related but rather your relationship with that character and without going into spoilers it's one of the most satisfying bits of the game.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

:aaaaa: The music changes between endings? It can actually be "I'm on a boat"?!

Someone confirm or clarify, please.

I'm on a boat is in the game files but unfortunately it doesn't occur in game. I think there are three different tracks that can play at the end depending on what ending you take. Save Yourself, Cops and Criminals, and Wanna Feel it.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Looking to complete my Alpha Protocol music collection, and I can't find these two songs:

Are those names right? Is there something I'm missing?

e:

Yo Lonely Island, I'm'a let you finish, but Tennessee X has the greatest AP ending track of all time.

I confirmed Cops and Criminals by finding a live performance of the track on Youtube and the other track is listed in the credits but I could find no further info on it. The artist may be a Stephan or a Steven not Heck.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Holy Cheese posted:

What am I to do with Surkov? He dies before I even get there half of the time. Am I to turn into a a jet plane or something?

You can sprint to him as well.

If you sided with G22 you can get a sniper rifle as an intel buy, it's located up on the roof overlooking the courtyard and can make it a breeze if you get to it quickly. Alternatively you can stock up on incendiaries and other gadgets and start tossing them like mad.
One trick is that if you are too violent with Grigori in the bar he will warn the embassy that you are coming and the standard guards will be replaced with heavily armed marines which is a help as long as you don't turn them hostile on you.
Beyond that it's just a matter of trying to keep the attackers off off Surkov. You should try and get them to shoot at you rather than Surkov. Stay around the centre of the courtyard and they should target you more often. Chainshot-brilliance abuse helps a lot here.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

One more thing
How do I get the dialogue options subtitles like in here (spoilers)? Without them I have no idea what I'm going to say.

If you mean the dialog wheel then that's a known bug with forced AA on some graphics cards. Just disable AA in your control panel. There should be clearer instructions in the OP about this. Or you can leave it like that and come back and tell us where picking random dialog choices led you.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

What do I need to do to find out that [secret dossier fact, Rome/Finale] Madison St. James is Parker's daughter? I've missed it on two different play-throughs.

This is how I got it.

You will need the full dossier on Madison as follows

Automatically when she is first mentioned.
Intel buy at some stage before meeting her.
In Marburgs villa. In the room with the piano right after finding your equipment it is located next to a couch.
In the Roman ruins right next to the communications array. If you have to reload this section don't forget to pick it up again.
Immediately after sleeping with her the relationship will be revealed automatically in dialog.

I think you need a positive relationship with this character.

I'm not sure how much you need of Parker's dossiers if any but here they are anyway.

Do the stealth orientation and the extra stealth challenge to get the first two.
Mina will send you an email complaining about Darcy. Take the aggressive reply to this and she will apologise and she will offer to send you intel on Parker, Darcy or Westbridge. This is easily missed so be careful.
Another email from Mina when Westbridge is on the firing range again a choice of one of Parker,Darcy or Westbridge.
On the villa mission buy the intel that reveals the secret tunnel in the garden. Right at the end of the mission you will gain access to this. You will find both a Parker and a Marburg dossier in there. Check your map when in the garden.
His final dossier is found right before you contact him but it isn't needed for turning Marburg as the conversation that triggers this event has already happened.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 15, 2011

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I'm just finishing up Taipei, my last hub, on my hard run and, upon checking my achievement list, saw that the 360 has NO achievement for hard mode. gently caress, you guys weren't kidding about how difficult the minigames were on this mode. I have both integrated circuitry mods and the second difficulty reduction skill for the minigames and I still have to use emps! On normal, even without sabotage or mods I only had to use EMPS if I didn't feel like waiting a few seconds to hack or whatever.

There IS an achievement for hard mode.

Some of those hacks become ridiculously hard. Best thing to do is only do the hacks you need to do rather than every single one.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Just played through Marburg's mansion a few minutes ago and finally got the helicopter to attack me at the end of the mission. It was a bit of a disappointment though as it just hovers above the gate and fires a couple of ineffective missiles that didn't come close to me.

The only thing different I did on this level from what I do normally is I didn't use the sniper rifle overlooking the gardens and as I'm playing a non-stealthy martial artist I alerted the guards in the garden at that point before circling around.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Vizrt posted:

Ah, that kind of sucks, was looking forward to that on this run. I've been doing a mostly Aggressive run so I guess it is out of the question even if I did have an earlier save. Might give it a go if it doesn't clash with the other goal I had in mind for my next run.

Stick with it. You can still get him in an awesome way if you have a lot of dossiers.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Thanks for this. I had his full dossier and that actually gains points with him, knowing his history. But I was professional with everyone else and suave with him and that didnt work unfortunately, so now I know.

To be exact you need to get the suave perk in the Greybox.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

I keep hearing this, but I really doubt it's true. Obsidian doesn't seem like the type to make a bunch of stuff dependant on a choice you make at the very beginning of the game. I think it's more about what dialogue choices you pick over the course of the game, rather than the very first couple ones.

I'm basing it off what other people have theorised in this and the last thread. Anytime I got it to happen I also had the suave perk including a gimmicky run-through where I just cycled the dialogue choices in a circle and tossed a coin on the binary choices.
It is possible of course that there is a hidden personality variable that factors into this though.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Picking more professional options will result in people calling Mike a patriot, suave will get him called a cowboy, aggressive a loose cannon. The game definitely takes stock of which stances you use over the course of the game, and you build a reputation based on that.

I love this game.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I just finished a recruit play through of the game to unlock veteran mode on a fresh install and I think I figured out which file unlocks it. In your [Documents]/Alpha Protocol/Profile folder there should be a file called ProfileOptions.dat. By comparing the file before and after finishing the game there is a single byte change in the file. In my version it is address 000000400 and it's value changes from 00 to 03 as highlighted below.

I've also uploaded my version of the file if anyone wants to take it and use it to try and possibly unlock veteran straight away. Although I'd still recommend you do it the proper way by beating recruit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtendwt3h5hodyh

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 19, 2011

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

doctor iono posted:

Hahaha, I love playing as a recruit already.

Mina: *some joke about Darcy and Thorton getting in a cage match over her*
Thorton: "We have to do a cage match? :ohdear:"

How heavy is veteran on extra dialogue? I've heard there's not much for recruits after orientation.

It's gives you about the same amount of chooses in training but it also changes a few choices and snippets of npc dialogue in the rest of the game.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Hannibal Smith posted:

-Take Heck as your handler, don't take Leland's deal, and don't visit Scarlet in the Greybox. Then, after fighting Leland, go against your instinct and choose the option to spare him. Scarlet will show up, and you'll get a very amusing option to kill her. After that, you'll be given the option to kill Leland a second time. Just as you put a bullet through his skull the achievement will unlock if you did everything else right.

When I tried this the other night I I let Scarlet kill Leland first and then got Heck to kill her so it appears you can kill these two characters in any order but I don't know how that will affect the achievement.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

ARghghgh I was absolutely loving this game until my first boss fight in Taipei and now I'm too frustrated to play anymore. I'm playing a stealth/pistols/tech guy and can't get Omen Deng down below about half health, and that's with whittling away about 1/6th of it in the parts when you're chasing him. He beats me to poo poo when I let him get close enough since I have about 2 points in martial arts, and I only have basic chain shot and it does barely any damage anyway. And I don't have any remote mines or grenades left. Up until now I've pretty much only done takedowns so I don't actually know how the combat works in this game except that I'm bad at it? At this point I'm nearly giving up with this game, it's too annoying to retry this 30 more times. I wish there was a way you could re-spec!

Try changing your ammo type when in a boss fight. If you are having a problem with him beating you up in melee just run away from him until your chain-shot has recharged. Seeing as you are a stealth guy then at the points when he disappears then you should take that opportunity to hide yourself behind some pillars. It's a pity you don't have any traps left as that is an ideal battleground for using them.
What difficulty are you playing at?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Seedge posted:

Got this for the Xbox in work, running through the Airfield as A Recruit. I keep getting spotted by the guy in the tower with the MG, just after you switch off some cameras & take out the "Elite Guard". I have 5 ranks in stealth but short of using Evasion to move up one bit of cover & wait two minutes a time I'm stuck. If I load the mission I have 19AP: would I be able to level Pistols & Crit him with Crit Hit: Basic without getting into his line of sight?

It is possible to slip past unnoticed but don't worry too much about this unless you are going for the stealth achievement. Your only objective is to get past him so if you have to run past him then do that. Any alarm you set off will only affect the immediate area.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

Right, so I'm in the ruins mission in Rome and I can't seem to make the thing end. I defend the comms array from Al-Samad to the point where goons stop spawning, but nothing happens.

Is this a known bug or is my Thorton doomed to wander Roman ruins for the rest of his days?

This happened to me once when I was too effective at killing the intruders. Just reload the most recent autosave and you should get to redo the fight again.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Insanity Prawn posted:

Only if you've done the Taipei missions first, though.

You don't even have to do all the missions. Just visit the dry cleaners.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

unpurposed posted:

Just finished downloading this game and I wasn't sure whether to start on Recruit or not.

Reading through the thread it seems that people can choose whether or not to start on Recruit their first time through but I've also read that you have to unlock Veteran.

Also, are there any other mouse/control fixes that aren't in the OP?

Yeah. You need to play recruit before unlocking veteran. Just be mindful that you will have less skill points to play with which could make the experience a lot more frustrating. You should take every recruit dialog option when it comes up as it gives you some bonus skill points. Just stick to a pistol build and you shouldn't have any problems.

The fixes in the op should be sufficient to run smoothly but if you have a controller lying around you should consider using it due to the way some of the hacking games work and it resolves any camera issues you may get.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Category Fun! posted:

I think you can unlock Veteran straight away with some registry editing, but I don't know the details. I'm sure someone posted it in this thread or the last...

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread but I don't know if it will work for anyone else

Hank Morgan posted:

I just finished a recruit play through of the game to unlock veteran mode on a fresh install and I think I figured out which file unlocks it. In your [Documents]/Alpha Protocol/Profile folder there should be a file called ProfileOptions.dat. By comparing the file before and after finishing the game there is a single byte change in the file. In my version it is address 000000400 and it's value changes from 00 to 03 as highlighted below.

I've also uploaded my version of the file if anyone wants to take it and use it to try and possibly unlock veteran straight away. Although I'd still recommend you do it the proper way by beating recruit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtendwt3h5hodyh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

X_Toad posted:

A look at Derick Tsai's work for Alpha Protocol, apparently for an older version of the game, as it features Madison Parker, and also an Alan Parker and Albatross that seems to have very little to do with the versions we received :

http://www.magnusrex.com/16996/207930/work/alpha-protocol

Thanks. This is a cool find. It appears Mike was going to be a big douche in the original version of the game as well but I definitely prefer the portrayal of Parker that we got in the actual game over the original jittery Jack Lemmon in Glengarry Glen Ross.

• Locked thread