Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Just chiming in that I bought this on the cheap a few weeks ago and really loved this game and hope they somehow go about making a sequal. Much much better than expected and I wouldve been happy at full price. Just seemed kind of on the short side, but that mightve been me just playing the hell out of it every day after work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Didnt really have a desire to do another run through of this despite loving this game the first time. Doing recruit mode now after reading the thread and yea this is the Best Game.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah I know about the sprint button and i'm running away, i'm just finding it difficult for some reason. If I get the Heck poisoned cocaine and I would have to do the whole level again, how much easier does it make the fight?

I was able to beat it the first try with the spoiled info. Also it helps to Run in circles around the gate in the middle. He never caught me, or was even close really

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Dareon posted:

In general Heck likes Suave responses and dislikes Businesslike. Aggressive is a bit of a crapshoot, one response during his meeting (I think it's the "lard on guns" question) results in Mike going "Are you clinically incapable of getting to the point?" (Heck -1) while after the Chingmei Station mission Aggressive yields a line like "Did they think they could keep anything from spies like us?" (Heck +1)

Edit: Also the best way to piss him off is to do all the other available Taipei missions before you contact him.

Yes, and she needs to be of a specific mindset about you, probably based both on her feelings for you and your JB type. I managed it once, but flubbed the Scarlet romance on that play and haven't managed to get SIE to want Thorton's ubermensch rod again.

SIE Answer aggresive to everything she says ever. I managed to get ladies man on my first playthrough :smug:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

One Sick Puppy posted:

I gotta say I've never laughed quite as much at most video games as I have with this one. Stephen Heck, Mike's comments when looking at his souvenirs, pretty much everything involving Brayko ("how many gay cheetahs had to die to make this jacket?"), and just how much of a snarky rear end in a top hat Mike is in general.

This game does have its glitches and quirks but it's so well written it's one of my favorites and I can't believe I got it for five bucks.

Edit: is there any way to turn Parker to your side in the end and NOT have him die? I like Parker and seeing him stabbed in the neck kind of sucks

Yes. (I apparently had a hell of a first playthrough). I dont remember how I did exactly though I did not know about the Madison connection, so I know that has nothing to do with it

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Jose posted:

Man, I'm at the end of Rome and trying to fight Marburg as stealth/martial arts is ridiculous. I'm just getting destroyed every single time. Doesn't anyone have advice? The fact he blocks constantly at the end of a combo and it only does a tiny bit of damage once his armour is off is making it near impossible to do proper damage to him

Rome You WILL NOT beat Marburg or the Taipei boss with just martial arts, or the Russian boss for that matter. You simply can not beat the game without a reliable fire arm

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Hank Morgan posted:

I can get this event without any bother but I have a feverish memory of seeing or reading about Brayko killing Championchik for me but I can't seem to trigger this. Any ideas on how if possible?

I just realized I never fought Championchik at all, which I just knew I would have to after seeing him in that one cutscene

I wonder why

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 8, 2011

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Tiler Kiwi and others disclaiming my post posted:

I beat the everliving poo poo out of Rome boss with no problem. I beat him so hard that when I read his dossiar info that he was an exceptional martial artist I chuckled. The Russian got his drugs poisoned so he was easy to take down with fists. The Taipei boss, though, was a complete motherfucker, but I still managed to do it.

Well gently caress me then :shobon:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Crappy Jack posted:

You never went after Surkov. Perhaps you were a little too hasty in taking out Brayko?

Probably should spoil that :/

And yea probably so Up until that point (I did Russia last) I arrested the Arms dealer, let Shaheed go til later, didnt fight Marburg to the death, and let Omen Deng go so I was trigger happy to execute a boss and Brayko was by far the baddest one anyway (if you dont count terrorism I guess)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

The Viper posted:

The conversation went everywhere, but in a really believable way.

Didnt even think about this but its completely true. It really is an injustice that we wont see a sequel

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Am I the only one who didnt think SIE looked any older than the other female characters?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
OK I need some help from any of you guys who are pretty good at stealth, goin on a "No Alarms" unless scripted run

Taipei: On the bugging the warehouse mission, just made it onto the rooftop with the 2 patrolling ground guards and the 4 on the ledges. I can get the 2 patrollers and the guard on the close ledge immediately to the left, but can not find a working strategy for the 3 by the dish. I get one on the edge and the other somehow sees everytime. I have first level chainshot, silent run, and shadow agent (started on recruit). Seems the only way to get any of the guards is with chainshot but it doesnt cool down fast enough to get the alerted guard who sees. Any advice would be appreciated.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Only have one skill point in sabotage so no remote hack. Started as recruit and Taipei was the first place I went out of Saudi Arabia. Can I toss an EMP or am I basically screwed for not having high enough level

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

THE PWNER posted:

Don't read if you have not heard everything there is to know from Parker near the end!! The missile strike was Mina's doing iirc, and she didn't intend for it to kill Mike, but to use it to convince him that he'd have to go rogue, etc

Also RE: the music, this was my favourite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOYac7TPZQ4

Unfortunately can't find tracks from the game in good quality.

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So ready to go on my America Fuckyea run with shotguns on veteran

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How does it feel to be the only person on the planet with this opinion? (the spoiler isn't really a spoiler btw)

2 people. Heck is unfunny and annoying to me, but I can see why people like him

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Moscow: Do you have to spare Brayko to get the Surkov missions where you fight Championchik or can you still execute him

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Scorchy posted:

I remember doing it without tripping the alarm. That computer in front of the window - it's designed to be used by those with Remote Hacking.

Or shadow agent/emp, or just shadow agent if high enough rank

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
wait whoa stop. You can shoot alarms?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Hannibal Smith posted:

To expand on that you have to have a reputation as a suave rear end in a top hat to really piss him off. You can't just use the options on Marburg when you've been professional or aggressive to everyone else, or he'll realize you're just trying to get under his skin. That means the majority of your choices up to that point have to be suave. You'll know you're on the right track if he comments that you prefer talk over action in the first meeting with him.

Having his completed dossier helps too, but I don't think it's mandatory.

Thanks for this. I had his full dossier and that actually gains points with him, knowing his history. But I was professional with everyone else and suave with him and that didnt work unfortunately, so now I know.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Holy Calamity! posted:

Veteran throws in some hilarious flavor lines from Mike, too. Mike in the crypt and possibly "A lot of fuckin' stairs", but I'm not sure if that's specific to Vet.

He says "A lot of fuckin' stairs" in every play through

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

In Training posted:

That's an interesting idea, I've never really heard of a game where a canon ending is that the main character dies, while it still being entirely the player's choice. It could prove for even more variety and interesting outcomes, especially if scenes would continue to play out after your death, just without your input.

Maybe in Alpha Protocol: The Spiritual Sequel (2016)

I remember reading up on Indigo Prophecy maybe a year before it came out and supposedly one of the characters you play can die and the game continues with the other. I believe Heavy Rain actually did have this option though.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Crappy Jack posted:

Nope. Not quite. Your main character does die, but then he comes back as a walking corpse with Matrix powers and saves the world from a Mayan cult and the embodiment of the Internet. Indigo Prophect is impressive for how engrossing and immersive the beginning is, and then how quickly it spirals into total fanficcy crazy poo poo.

Yea I know about that I beat the game, I meant if you died as one of the other cops, originally they were going to let the game continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I had such hopes for WET :( just couldnt get past that skydiving level

• Locked thread