Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Soonmot posted:

You play as Sis.

Dialogue wheel:

code:

...!      ...?

Pistols

Seriously, I think a game where you play Sis would own hard, and be a great experience, since everything you 'say' would be in the form of expressions and body language. Obsidian saves money on V/A, and I have enough confidence that they'd do it well enough to give you a unique gaming experience.

That said, being a G22 agent would be good enough, if onyl because I have a thing for those goofy helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'm on my second playthrough, playing as a recruit, and in the very beginning Greybox stage I only got one training course -- weapons training with Mina as my handler. Is that the only course available or did I miss any other(s)? I'm actually at the Saudi endgame stage now but I'll go back and start another game if I missed something (I want to experience EVERYTHING).

No offence, man, but you just made the funniest post in the thread. "It's my second playthrough, I'll surely be able to experience everything I missed out in my first! :downs: "

Again, no offence, though I think it's really sad that most modern RPGs have it set up that two playthroughs are all you need to see everything a game offers :(

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those having trouble with the hacking/lockpicking minigame, just buy EMPs. You never really need to upgrade your weapons, and doubly so if you specialize in pistols.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Golashes posted:

Does the 360 pad fix problems with the camera sperging out and jumping you into a random direction? That's seriously been a borderline dealbreaker for me.

I've only had this problem once, and oddly, always at the same place (checkpoint in the Nasri mission, right before the first courtyard)- how frequent is it for you?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Holy Calamity! posted:

"6 out of 10" - 'gaming journalism' community

seriously this loving game is the best. I want another so bad!

Between the terrible reviews for Alpha Protocol and the glowing reviews for Dragon Age 2, the only source I think I can trust for game news is SA, and to a lesser extent, 4chan's /v/ board.

That's right, goddamn 4chan is more reliable than gaming journalism.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

THE PWNER posted:

Finished my first (and probably only) playthrough, my only real complaint is that the storyline felt really short. Only took me 14 hours to complete, and I did everything. I was honestly surprised that after I finished the 3 post-Saudi hubs, it went straight to a new safehouse i'd never seen chatting with Mina about a final assault on Alpha Protocol. Felt like something was missing in between there.

Man.

Man, oh, man.

You have NO IDEA how much you've missed.

Try a second playthrough, but with a wholly different style. Went Stealth/Pistols with a Suave Thorton in your first run? Go for a second run as Tough Shotgun Professional- trust me, it'll be worth your while.

If I may go on a tangent, it's really sad how modern 'RPG's have conditioned players to expect nothing more than a One True Path™ through a game, and that all other playthroughs will be just like it, so when a game like Alpha Protocol comes along, people play once and assume that's all the game has to offer.

Seriously, read the following spoiler list to find out what you may have missed, PWNER:
-Did you kill Marburg?
-Spare the gelato shop owner?
-Find Scarlet/Mina when you returned to the Graybox?
-Discover who Madison's dad was?

And that's just a few things- who knows what I've missed?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

THE PWNER posted:

By did everything, I meant did all the optional missions (that were available on the path I took). Obviously, there's plenty of things you won't see in 1 playthrough - but i'm not one to replay singleplayer games many times unfortunately. I definitely stand by what I said at the end of the passage you quoted, suddenly being in the last safehouse was pretty abrupt.

Well then I don't know what to say- the real meat of AP lies in multiple playthroughs and seeing what you missed and making connections that you just didn't the first time around; if you're the type to only play once and leave, then I have to admit, you just wasted your money on AP.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Whoops, I got the impression you didn't like the game :shobon:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Parselmouth posted:

Yes :black101:

Thankfully, it's one of the few thingss that won't change thanks to your actions.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

poptart_fairy posted:

As far as I'm aware if you don't kill Sis on the boat she'll be captured at Brayko's mission. If she's killed on the boat, then that 'frees up' Albatross for the mansion mission.

I spared Sis and Albatross still got his damnfool rear end captured. That said, with this game, you can never be sure :tinfoil:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Speedball posted:

Though, for full dramatic impact, I still love any ending that has Scarlet snipe Mike out of nowhere--that happened to me on my first playthrough and that was such a "Holy poo poo!" moment.

I STILL haven't got that bit to trigger. What am I doing wrong?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Speedball posted:

You basically have to be completely in the dark as to what Scarlet's profession is; don't run into her during your escape from Alpha Protocol, and (probably) don't get that email from Omen Deng telling you she's an assassin (instead, have a conversation with Parker during the escape). Either Mina or Heck will sneak up on her after she snipes you so you might need to have either saved Mina or made Mina or Heck your mission handler. Something like that.

How about getting her to shoot Leland?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doc Hawkins posted:

I didn't bother playing Mass Effect 2, but it did have a unique ending like that, and I watched it on Youtube. Seemed pretty cool. I'm not sure how different it is from all the others.

That's just a generic BAD END; it's only possible if you actively work for it, anjd won't carry over to ME3.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Exercu posted:

Obviously the game was terrible. There was no Push A for Awesome, nor any deep characterisation where you can ask people about their entire life stories while you chill out in their spaceship, and you can't just push A for perfect solution to everything. What hacks would ever make a game where you can't solve everything to everyone's satisfaction? I want my power fantasy where I save everything, thank you very much.

I heard a slightly rephrased version of this as criticism for AP :psyduck: Apparently the guy thought that games should be like Call of Duty, and that AP's choices made it too complicated :gonk:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

niff posted:

gently caress game reviewers forever, as the quote in the second post says. this game is amazing. just did the obligatory stealth-pistols-suave run, now i am bearded arsehole thorton and having so much fun.

Between this and DA2's reviews, I learned that game reviewing is a crock of poo poo. These days I just use gaming sites as release date announcers, nothing more.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Y'all are pussies. I finished the game umpteen times with nothing more than my trusty mouse and keyboard :smug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pharmaskittle posted:

Just picked this up for $2.

welcome to the danger zone

I just realized I first heard about Archer by reading AP threads. Another thing I owe the game.

Obsidian :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The White Dragon posted:

Noooooooo I missed out on shooting Darcy in the dick because my dog walked in and wanted cuddles when Mina was asking me to do her that favor

It is a fair tradeoff :3:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And as I said before, Jim Cummings (the VA) seems to do the same voice for all his characters, yet is able to make them so different :psyduck: Seriously, listen to Minsc, Marburg and Monterey Jack- all have the same voices, yet are wildly different (okay, maybe Monty and Minsc aren't all that dissimilar).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

vulturesrow posted:

The highest compliment that I can give this game is that I haven't had any desire to look at any walkthroughs. I dont have a lot of time to indulge my extensive gaming habit and as a result Im often impatient. So far with this game I'm perfectly content to just progress through on my own. That is how engaging I've found it.

I am EXACTLY that kind of person too :hfive: I think it's because there's no such thing as an 'optimal playthrough' where you need to collect the 100 Silver McGuffins for the Ubergun, or need to solve some Tower of Hanoi puzzle to progress; you know that you're gonna get to Point B, all that matters is how. And AP give you a lot of hows.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WickedIcon posted:

While Epic Mickey 2 does sound right, I'm hoping with all of my hope that it'll be based on something like Ghost in the Shell that fits their style better.

Ika Musume :v:

But really, they could release a My Life Me game and I'd play the gently caress out of it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PTizzle posted:

Christ, Gamecritics gave it 1 out of 10 :psyduck:

Thanks to Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age 2, whenever I want to know about a game, I first search SA. Gaming 'journalism' can go to hell (though RockPaperShorgun is fairly entertaining at times). Seriously, 'hated by the same critics who loved Dragon Age 2' is both the best praise for AP and the best indictment of gaming journalism.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just as an aside, you don't have to let Marburg kill Madison, just clue Parker in to what happened in Rome.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Whoa, spoiler that stuff, Two Finger. Some people will never hear those lines in three or more playthroughs, that's part of AP's charm.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hectorgrey posted:

I should warn you that KOTOR 2 is very much unfinished. It's awesome, and in my opinion better than the first, don't get me wrong, but unfinished, with some plotlines left unresolved and half the ending removed due to lack of time. Unfortunately, that's what happens when you only have a year to create an RPG.

The Restored Content mod is out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Riven posted:

I've played through five times and never seen Westrodge since Saudi. How do I see him again?

IIRC, you have to (spoiling to be safe) side with Al-Samad in the end.

• Locked thread