Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
:black101: STEVEN HECK :black101:

Allying and therefore pleasing this character is mandatory for everyone on their first playthrough. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ChuckDHead posted:

Heck was Nolan North?

This loving game.

Yup, severely playing against type which is one reason the role took a lot of people by surprise. They didn't see that kind of dialogue coming from him. :v:

Obsidian, please recruit Steve Blum and do something with that arsehole's lack of range please.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

am i playing this game right

Sir, you are playing this wonderfully.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, 'stealth' in Alpha Protocol is more Jack Bauer than Solid Snake. Think of it as a way of eliminating the enemy rather than evading them; with the exception of one mission in Rome, the CIA listening post, take downs/kills are the same as avoidance when it comes to NPCs talking about your sneakiness.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wiseblood posted:

I had this happen to me once reloading after getting killed trying to make a break for the entrance where Omen Deng runs to:

Slender-Deng. :iamafag:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

Is it even possible for Heck not to like you? I've never annoyed him I don't think no matter what option I chose.

Yeah, you need to have another ally for the end game though, otherwise Steve defaults to his "gently caress YEAH :black101:" persona to fill that spot.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Aerial Tollhouse posted:

Definitely gonna do a second playthrough with this info. Can't decide if I want to do a corrected version of this, or an aggressive one.

Aggressive. Save the world once, THEN SMASH IT. :black101:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nitevision posted:

I got through Arabia fine just being careful and clever about guard patterns and timing, but now I'm in Russia at Brayko's mansion and it seems like there's just way too many guards to do it the old fashioned way

Naw, it's possible to do - just harder. There's even unique dialogue from the boss if you do it stealthily; he has no idea what the gently caress's going on because you've just come out of nowhere.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, going to Rome first can make it a lot easier. You can enough reputation as a dick to really get to Marburg, but if you mix things up outside of it other NPCs won't condemn you in the same way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yup. Characters will acknowledge drat near every combination of dialogue options possible - some good, some bad, all perfectly in character and none of them will punish you OOCly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A joke that's still funny after you hear it times, because the punchline is always different. :stare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You just know Obsidian would be do blackface and still be able to pull it off.

Obsidian. :allears:

Avelone. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you have high martial arts it becomes a fullblown headslam. Obsidian. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

THE PWNER posted:

I was against Alpha Protocol/Halbech, but told Shaheed I wouldn't betray the US. Would he have showed up if I had agreed with Shaheed's offer?

Yes, he would have. I can confirm this. Hell, even if agree but still kill Shaheed it'll happen. It's how you get the Judge/Jury achievement.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Moscow Railyard.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You'll lose rep with Sie due to that, I believe, but being RAWR DOM more than compensates for it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

So in the moscow embassy. I killed everyone except 2 guys at the very end and that was only because it said I completed the mission before I had a chance. Sie then complained I didn't kill enough :confused:

Well she would complain. :smug:

But, yeah, this is a bug. It flags up the opposite of what you've done which is odd, but nothing else is like it and you don't lose on anything.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hank Morgan posted:

Regarding the missile strike I never bought into the theory that Mina was the one who launched the missiles at you. It was clearly Halbech who did that in order to destroy the evidence. Mina did however cut you off from the government and Alpha Protocol at the same time in order to get you to work for her. And if you want to feel anger at that been done to you then the game allows you to express that.

While that might be true to an extent Leland will be confused about the missile strike, apparently not having any clue about the one aimed at Mike.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crappy Jack posted:

Do not play the game on hard as a recruit.

Played Hard as a Recruit both achievements in one go.

I earned Rising Star, bitch. :c00lbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The one for hanging up on people is my favourite.

"You're either a very busy man, or just kind of a jerk."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Polaron posted:

In Moscow, what do I get for sending the weapons to Grigori as opposed to myself, beyond points with Mina or Grigori?

You get about thirty grand or so, as well as some very darkly humorous e-mails. It's also implied those weapons go on to supply Al-Samad.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Chasiubao posted:

The post-game news report said casualties were low in a terrorist attack because all they had were Cold War-era weapons

This has many, many variables. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Taipei after Moscow Spoilers.
Correct. You can intercept an e-mail from them talking about how Albatross has gone offline and if you killed Sis, how there's no sign of her either. Not sure what happens if you kill Albatross but spare Sis.

As far as I'm aware if you don't kill Sis on the boat she'll be captured at Brayko's mission. If she's killed on the boat, then that 'frees up' Albatross for the mansion mission.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GetWellGamers posted:

Wait, what? How can you kill albatross before the mansion mission without killing Sis?

No no, I never said that. Read it again. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
...welp, in that case colour me as confused as you are. :psyboom:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

404notfound posted:

Plus people respond realistically to Thorton's corny, pitiful attempts at being suave. Every girl he meets is disgusted and annoyed within five minutes.

Or maybe that's just my Thorton.

Being completely Suave pisses them off, yes, and never gets you laid. Mixing it in with another approach and using it at appropriate times, however, cultivates friendship and can possibly lead to romance depending on mutual decisions and understanding.

:goonsay:

gently caress you guys, Obsidian does romance properly. :colbert:

Yes I know about SIE. Shut up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BattleMaster posted:

I think it really says something about the writing when the most intense part of the game is the dialogue-only mission where you meet with Marburg.

Now imagine if Steven Blum had been in this game...

:suicide:

Holy poo poo, the extended Marburg taunting conversation. That is absolutely amazing voicework, and the burn just perfect.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 11, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My favourite complaint against KOTOR2 has always been how frustrated and angry people get about its approach to black/white, Light/Dark morality. It's meant to be complicating and confusing things, it's demonstrating how morality systems as binary and simplistic as that simply don't work under any sort of scrutiny; the game's theme is of deconstruction.

:(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Chinaman7000 posted:

I hope you picked the beard that's larger than the rest of your head.

With either a ushanka or swamp hat. This is obligatory.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

kuribo posted:

I wanna say, too, that I love how if you play this game like an anti-social killing machine, the game does a really good job of making you feel like you're no better than a terrorist. When I chose to execute the guy at the abandoned shop in Rome, I cringed a little when Mike simply said, "Shut up and let me do my job." It sounded like something a terrorist from 24 would say.

On the flip side...when/if Mina tries to deconstruct this approach in the end game, Mike will have an answer for drat near everything. You are never actively punished or told one course of action is explicitly, OOCly wrong.

Obsidian. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sheen Sheen posted:

Yeah, but (endgame) kill the guy she works for? Without even getting a better offer from a guy she said "hi" to in passing once? Still seems weird to me.

They don't get on. Like, at all. You actually lose rep with one if you've got a decent relationship with the other.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

In Training posted:

Even cooler is that if you have finished Rome and killed or pissed off Marburg, SIE brings it up in conversation and you get a +1 or +2 rep right at the start.

If you have a decent reputation with her and do Rome after Moscow, killing Marburg will result in an e-mail being sent where she remarks she had to change her underwear after being informed you'd killed Marburg.

Um, thanks SIE, thank you. :ohdear:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lynx posted:

Xander77 (I think) requested this a while back, and I've finally gotten around to putting it together: (big time endgame spoilers) it's what happens when you tell Marburg about Parker's involvement in Deus Vult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttNh2j-sZVE

I cannot imagine anyone else as Marburg other than Jim Cummings. The man was perfect for that role.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ElectricSheep posted:

Except that every time he screams at you for shooting up his men during a fight, it's really really easy to hear him as Minsc from Baldur's Gate 2.

Crappy Jack posted:

What's even better is you could say the same thing about Winnie the Pooh.

The guy's good at VA.

You guys are making GBS threads me. WHAT.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crappy Jack posted:

I remember being really impressed by Scarlet's airplane talk after my first couple times through; she can be anything from playfully joking around with Mike, to pure business wheeling and dealing, to immediately regretting sitting down next to that rear end in a top hat.

Equally a lot of characters will call attention to an inconsistent or confusing approach in conversations. It's brilliant to run rings around people and have them not know what the gently caress.

Although, admittedly, this can also make certain people - PARKER - be less inclined to believe you on the rare occasions you are being honest. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I got into an argument (yes... :() with someone who swore blind the game was no different from Mass Effect, and he'd played more than enough of the game to figure this out. When pressed it turned out he'd gotten to the fourth mission in Saudi.

:argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ChuckDHead posted:

Has anyone ever actually paid RRP for this game?

Bought the X-Box version.

Then the PC version.

Nearly bought the PS3 version as well, just to complete the collection. I've not done this for any other game, on any other console, at any other point in time.

:negative:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Steven: Hey Mike, good news and bad news. The bad news is that was our way out of way.

Mike: What's the good news?

Steven: I paid extra on the insurance package! :haw:

:allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yes, please do your second runthrough. This thread must be kept alive. IT MUST. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love how Marburg is the smuggest motherfucker even before the game's finished.

• Locked thread