Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've been playing this on the 360 and, honestly, this is probably one of the most outright fun games I've played in a while. I can see what people are saying about the gunplay being wonky, but honestly, a few AP in the right skills and a couple of weapon mods make all the difference. And I've always been a sucker for any game that lets you turn enemies into allies, which this game allows you to do in spades if you play your cards right.

And playing along with/outright encouraging Stephen Heck is the only way to play. Not like that Wen fellow. No sir. Not like that Wen fellow at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Slantedfloors posted:

I think the "Not like Wen" line is probably my favourite piece of VO dialogue ever.

The funniest part is that Nolan North used to voice Deadpool in a couple of games, yet Stephen Heck is closer to what Deadpool probably should be like.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FrickenMoron posted:

I hate DA2 and like most of obsidians games quite a lot. Should I get this then?

You should get it, if only for the quality of the writing. One thing pretty much all Obsidian's games have is excellent dialogue, and this is no exception.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

This is actually a really good point. This isn't like your typical Bioware or Obsidian game where your dialogue options are sitting there waiting for you to peruse them and consider which is the best for the situation. You have keyed responses (Aggressive, Diplomatic, Suave, etc.) and you have a time limit to choose. A rather narrow one at that.
There is a legitimate urgency to some exchanges and sometimes you have to choose the best at the moment in the time you're given. Is it the right one or the one you have to choose? Who knows. It adds real drama to the development and it's one of the reasons why the choices you make in this game have real weight.

Yeah, and, importantly, there is no right or good way to play the game. Shoot an arms dealer in the head? Congratulations, you've lost a potentially important lead. Let him go? You get your information, but at the cost of innocent lives in the area being lost to the continuing war, helped along by the guy you just let escape.

That's an early choice, and by no means the worst or easiest. Everything you do will be thrown back in your face sooner or later. Understanding that there is no 'perfect' ending is one of the keys to enjoying this game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ChuckDHead posted:

I was going to post exactly this. I can't help but feel like Wen is Heck's Blind Al, actually.

Nah, more like Weasel or Hydra Bob (less a friend, more a noble steed of sorts).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Oh yeah, two words of advice for anyone picking it up today:

1) If it's your first playthrough, pick the Recruit option. It makes it a little trickier from the start, since you'll have less points to play with, but storywise, it makes a little more sense and you'll unlock the overpowered Veteran class when you finish the game. Just be sure to always pick the Recruit dialogue options for an extra 10AP.

2) A (slightly spoilerful) word for dealing with Conrad Marburg in Rome: always pick the Suave option when dealing with him. He hates cocky upstarts and, trust me, you're going to want to get under his skin as much as possible. You'll thank me later, believe me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Avocadoes posted:

Dont you have to Get the initial suave perk to pull any of that off?

Not sure. As far as I know you just have to get him to hate you enough, which isn't too difficult or painful to do. Then again, I went to Taipei first, so by the time I got to Rome, I had a fair amount of conversational perks under my belt already.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pvt.Scott posted:

My dream game using the Alpha Protocol setup would either be a Dirty Harry style cop game or an X-Files-ish game. AP with aliens and occult poo poo would be neat.

Now if this were the setup for the new XCOM game, I'd just about poo poo myself with unbridled glee. Or maybe a new Call of Cthulhu game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Avocadoes posted:

Almost all of the number strings in the hacking game are on the right side of the screen. I usually find at least one in the bottom right side.

A tip: DONT LOOK AT THE TIMER Despite what it says, you have more than enough time to find both number strings. If you keep looking at the timer (the top or bottom one) you only start panicking and lose focus because you have one eye on the timer and the other eye hardly looking. Once you stop worrying about the time, the hacking game becomes quite easy. Granted, this doesn't mean stop and look at each individual number, but don't look at the timer as if your life depends on it.

Yet another thing I like about AP: Using the [Silent] option. Thorton manages to give the perfect expression every time I use it, and it generally pisses people off every time. This goes double when Shepard thorton gives the :smug: look.

edit: why did I write shepard..

Another thing worth mentioning: even when it says it's about to change the pattern (or whatever it comes up with) you still have a second to lock in a code fragment. That's important to remember, since, guaranteed, you'll be right on it just as it's about to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

As a basic rule, use Stealth to thin out the ranks of the enemy to manageable numbers. Armour in this game is good for stopping a handful of bullets, so dropping a few sentries can make all the difference in a firefight. Just don't get the buttons for 'takedown' and 'stealth kill' confused, it makes Mina upset and accidentally killing civilians doesn't look too good on your record.

• Locked thread