Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tortolia posted:

For as much poo poo as SMGs get sometimes, they're a blast to use if you just use the kamikaze approach. There's something amazing about blitzing a large group of enemies, only having one left alive when your clip's about to empty, then using Bullet Storm for 16 seconds of infinite ammo for the last guy left standing.

Pistols are overpowered, but everything else is more-or-less equally cool.

That reminds me, there's one fight that is an enormous pain in the rear end if you only have inaccurate/short-range weapons (SMGs and Shotguns). Luckily, it's easily avoided (or just bring grenades).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Hannibal Smith posted:

One thing I think makes this game special that I never see many people praise is its complete lack of filler. You are always moving forward in this game. There are no fetch quests, you'll never have to run around a "Rome" consisting of two blocks looking for NPCs with exclamation points over their heads, and there are no party members you have to chat up after every mission if you want to unlock their sidequests. Every mission, whether optional or not, ties into the main storyline and is pretty much guaranteed to be referenced later.

I agree, but the Triad stuff was pretty filler-ish.

quote:

Best of all, you actually converse with NPCs, not just pull information out of them like computer terminals. You will never have a conversation that goes, "Tell me about this area... tell me about X... now tell me about Y... now back to my other questions... I have to go!"

Actually, you do this several times in Saudi Arabia. Another thing that makes it a bad representative of the full game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Soonmot posted:

You play as Sis.

Dialogue wheel:

code:

...!      ...?

Pistols

Don't forget [Eye Roll] and [Backflip].

e:

quote:

Goon opinion reigns supreme once again.
_______/

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 5, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

etalian posted:

It's too hard of deal to pass especially since the PC gets raped near the end of the game by a east german woman(who's hopefully not really a man)

Ignoring the fact that the character in question is obviously female by any sane definition of the word, don't be a spoiling sally.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Bluffing Leland gets some of my favorite suave dialogue. And he actually admires your ability to deflect questioning!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sadly, that is unavoidable. :(

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Megabuttes posted:

What the gently caress were they thinking with that hacking minigame?

I love the hacking minigame. It takes calm hands and a swift eye. It makes me feel like a super-spy computer man. :unsmith:

(playing on normal, recruit, no levels in sabotage)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

In case anyone was wondering, I figured out what was wrong. I had NVIDIA PhysX drivers installed from an old card, but I'm using a Radeon card now. Uninstalling them allowed the game to install the right one, and now it works. :unsmith:

:pcgaming:

Also, :hfive: and congrats on being able to play now.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Jose posted:

So can anyone tell me how viable a stealth/martial arts run would be? I'd quite like to do the whole game without using a gun if its not going to be too hard. Will be playing on recruit this time as well

I did this, except without the stealth, which I assume would make it easier.

Most important bit of advice for a full non-lethal run (if that's what you're going for): gadgets are your backup. Some enemies, in some levels (all the ones I can think of are optional), you will be forced to fight without being able to reach them. The biggest offender is a level-ending fight in Taipei, and an optional boss in Moscow.

Some people will also complain about a certain required boss in Moscow. Those people are silly and can't tell when a game is telling you run and wait.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vizrt posted:

I'm getting this bug on the first mission I try, Bug Al-Samad Airfield. No matter how I load the starting mission checkpoint, from the escape menu or exiting to the main menu, the three enemies after the first guy do not spawn.

The same thing happened to me.

It's funny that it only seems to happen if you do it after dying. It's almost like an exaggerated auto-adjusting difficulty feature. "Oh, having a bit of trouble? How about I just get rid of all the bad people that shoot at you. :smug:"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

e: ^^^ Actually your class (or rather, your tagged skills) change little things here and there in cutscenes and conversations later in the game, too.

Nashie 0 posted:

(Late Game Spoilers) Hell, given the general demeanor of his character I figured getting Marburg to side with you would be absolutely impossible.

SmugThorton spotted.

Seriously, he reacts much more positively depending on Mike's general demeanor and specific behavior in a few things. He's just this old school kinda guy. Who kills innocent people to make a point.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 7, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

Only took me 14 hours to complete, and I did everything.

:cawg:

You're gonna want to try out some different things in a second playthrough.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Technique posted:

No way, Brayko is the coolest dude ever. :colbert:

Prostituting your sisters: totally cool.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cowman posted:

I think I'm going to end up breaking this game by monkeying with the .ini files. I've found out you can change the skin color in APGame.ini and man Thorton is weird looking now. At first I made him a vampire by accident then accidentally turned him into a racial caricature minus the big lips and eyes. I'm gonna have fun with this. If you're curious I've taken a few screenshots. I think I'm gonna try for Martian red and Alien green next.

Edit: Oh and they're both for Very Pale :v:

Let me know if you find the value that makes him Blue Man Group blue.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Huitzil posted:

Let's be fair here: the first few hours of the game, in Saudi Arabia, aren't very good as an introduction to the game or as a game in general, and to really appreciate how good the game is you have to beat it multiple times. Games reviewers aren't going to have the time to beat it to completion multiple times to really see its virtues, and most players don't beat games once, much less multiple times. First impressions really do count, and AP gives a lousy one.

Which is a shame because it really is great. Maybe some more extensive use of the flash-forward teases during the SA section would have let people know "don't worry, this isn't another goddamn military shooter set in the desert, poo poo is going to get off the loving chain in short order."

Yeah, that would have been pretty awesome. Honestly, the opening with Leland should have said something like "Well, Mr. Thorton, you've travelled all around the world and made quite a mess of things." Or even mentioning Moscow, Taipei and Rome by name. Basically, there should be a bunch of stuff underlining how you are a super-cool agent in a super-tough spot. I'm not even sure what it gains by showing the attack on the plane.

Also speaking of wishing cutscenes were skippable...

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 9, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's interesting is you can do a sort of stealth-assault rifle run too. That was my second run. You still make plenty of noise but you pick your shots and take them quickly and accurately to drop anyone before they get to an alarm.

Shoot the alarm panels first, so alerted enemies can't trigger them.

(also good point about the intro)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

^^^^ You aren't so good with this "spoiler" thing, are you?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You sure about that :ssh:

I mean, his original plan was for Mike to get killed by the missile strike, right?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I've done it on Recruit. It's a hassle, and I think all you get is avoiding a -1 rep, but I did it anyway. :shepface:

Basically, take your time, observe all the guard's motions, check your Awareness when you come back to the lobby area, because a new guard comes back, and most importantly of all: don't bother, it's not worth it.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 10, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Edit: If you mean ghosting it, I'm not sure if that's possible. It is perfectly fine to knock all the guards out as long as they aren't alerted to your presence.

It is, like I said, I've done it. It changes the dialogue with Parker very slightly: instead of Thorton saying "whatever, they don't know it was me" and Parker scoffing and getting -1 rep, Mike says "No one saw me that I know of," and Parker says "that'll have to do."

Coming from Parker, that's high praise.

e: apparently I am wrong

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 11, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The same thing happens if you knock out all the guards, provided you don't raise their alertness. I knocked them all out last time and he said the exact same thing and I got +1 rep.

Huh! My mistake.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Don't listen to these guys; if you don't care about alarms, Awareness is totally optional. I've beaten the game without a single point in stealth.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vizrt posted:

Just started my second playthrough as recruit. I never noticed one of the photos in the Moscow safehouse on my first playthrough. Got a good laugh out of me when I noticed it this time. Doesn't seem like a spoiler but more of a minor easter egg. Was thinking of using it for an avatar. Need to figure out some good accompanying text though.

The Photo

...Does Mike always have kaczynski-beard in that picture?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Now that, I had not seen. TFG.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

More practical advice: take a relaxing trip to Taipei, meet some folks, see what new intel options open up for that level.

strategery posted:

Question: Is there a Game+ mode?

Yes and no. It's called "Veteran", it doesn't let you keep things from previous playthroughs, but it gives you enough points to max out anything you could want.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ChuckDHead posted:

Well now I feel bad about threatening and beating him.

That vodka's not gonna spill itself.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Slantedfloors posted:

The pre-built histories are basically just a skill template, and don't do much past a couple of comments at the start of the game (I think :tinfoil:).

Having particular skills tagged, whether by having a history or having selected them manually, changes a few cutscenes slightly, showing off your core competencies.

e:

ToxicFrog posted:

If you're in Taipei for the first time, try following Mina's advice to use the shower - I seem to recall someone else having the same problem there.

Hahaha! "Man, this place sucks. I think I'll go check out the other hubs...WTF?!"

I found it even funnier if you go there last.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Because the game's balance is completely hosed and pistols and stealth are both comically overpowered compared to everything else.

It's good to err on the side of caution, but I don't think that's a spoiler.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Noxville posted:

I assume pretty much everyone here makes their Thorton look like this, right?

I think Veteran Thorton is more of a clean-shaven beret-and-mirror-shades type of guy. It fits the Veteran dialogue with Darcy beautifully, IMO.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

:aaaaa: The music changes between endings? It can actually be "I'm on a boat"?!

Someone confirm or clarify, please.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Things the game does not explicitly react to that I wish it did (list in progress):
  1. Wearing the hospital gown for as long as possible.
  2. Sparing Sis but killing Albatross.
  3. Beards
  4. ?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Hank Morgan posted:

In addition I came across the composer's website and he has posted a bunch of tracks from the game. A couple of tracks have malformed urls but you can fix them by removing the "\" next to the "'".

Finally downloaded these, and they're jammin'. I wonder if the game was ever actually slated to feature a "C-130 Tailgating Party at 10,000 feet"?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Looking to complete my Alpha Protocol music collection, and I can't find these two songs:

Hank Morgan posted:

Pleasure Club - Cops and Criminals
Stephan Clark - Wanna feel it

Are those names right? Is there something I'm missing?

e:

Yo Lonely Island, I'm'a let you finish, but Tennessee X has the greatest AP ending track of all time.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 14, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Exercu posted:

Someone must have been spying on about Albatross, he knew he had done nothing wrong but, one morning, he was captured. Every day at
eight in the morning he was brought his breakfast by Sis - Sis was his bodyguard - but today she didn't come. There was immediately a knock at the door and a man entered. He had never seen the man in this house before. He was slim but firmly built, his clothes were purple and garish, looking like an entire coterie of gay cheetahs had died for it, all of which gave the impression of being very objectionable to fashion but without making it very clear why anyone would ever wear this.

Turn up the Kafka.

Fantastic.

I remember that guy from the last thread. At first I thought he was making a running gag when he said he kept "accidentally" killing people.

The most confusing part of playing Alpha Protocol like that must have been coming to the thread and reading us gush about the choice and the replayability and the oy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Look at it this way: if you work with them, they have an expert on the inside. If you don't, they need another plan.

^^^^ Yes, okay, like that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Plus then you get an "awesome" email from Albatross.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It's the CHIM of Alpha Protocol.

e: VVVV You can learn all that anyone could possibly want to know reading this, but the summary is that I'm making a silly one-off joke/reference that should not be discussed further in this thread.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 17, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

There was no mention of Deus Vult that I saw.

Really? I've always seen Marburg say it right before he shoots Madison in the back.

:ninja: No one saw that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Noxville posted:

I was trying to do a kill-free run this time through but having done Saudi Arabia and Rome I've somehow managed to pick one up along the way, which is weird since I've only ever used tranq rounds, melee and non-lethal takedowns. I think I maybe caught someone with splash damage when hitting that APC with rockets. :(

Or perhaps you threw someone off a bridge, where they were hit by an onrushing APC?

I'm pretty sure that's unavoidable.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What is this poo poo here? You're saying that you came across something hackable and didn't hack it? I don't even know what to say.

See, this is why I shake my head when I see people saying "hacking is so hard :qq:"

If you don't put points into hacking, you will not find it easy to hack things, and you shouldn't always try! Just as if you put no points into pistols, you should not be surprised if using pistols is not a productive and fun use of your time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I admit to never having stapled myself in the dick played the game on Hard.

• Locked thread