Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Hannibal Smith posted:

One more piece of advice for newcomers: Don't shut the game off the instant the credits start. There's a newsreel voiceover that plays while they roll that gives closure to a lot of the major events of the game. There were a few people in the last thread who didn't realize that even after playing a few times.

......what?

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Oh yeah, if one thing should be in the OP for first time players it should be which doors that you can miss if you go too far on the final mission.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Oh yeah, if one thing should be in the OP for first time players it should be which doors that you can miss if you go too far on the final mission.

OK, since we've had like 30 testimonials about people making this mistake and I missed the entire thing on my first playthrough:

Hey, have you just begun the final mission?! Read this first!
Welcome back to the Greybox! There is a point during this level where you return to the nondescript grey junction room that you raced through during the tutorial. The one right off the interrogation room with all the video screens, remember that? Make sure you don't just run to the opposite end of the room once you're here!

There are important plot developments that occur in the doors on either side of you. Before you cross the threshold of the room, make sure you go into the doors on your left and right.

I'm trying to describe the room from memory... is that helpful enough without being too revealing?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Why does being a veteran change the hallucination you have when speaking to Mina on the PDA?

Also it just occurred to me that as a veteran I can remove those default ranks in the other weapon styles and max out pistols, stealth and everything else it lets me do at that point. Now that's the kind of ridiculously overpowered veteran I wanna play as.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I think the silencer I start with each game is from the stealth DLC pack that came with my 360 copy (which, as has been stated, is virtually bug free).

Everyone really should post a review on Metacritic, it'd only be appropriate if AP became the bizarro DA2 in terms of user reviews being vastly different from those from on-the-take bloggers.

Even if we don't get a proper sequel, I'm holding out hope that there's a spiritual sequel in the pipe. The studio could use a fresh start with a new IP and I'm sure they feel they've learned a lot since this was released. I'm sure Obsidian would like to have a Mass Effect of their own, and with lots of people calling for that property to be a bit more RPG-like I think there's probably room in the marketplace for a similarly modern action RPG. As much as I'd kill to have a sequel with save importation, though, I wouldn't want them to have to limit the player choice and dynamic characterization in order to facilitate a sequel with manageable outcomes.

Role Play McMurphy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 11, 2011

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

In Training posted:

That's an interesting idea, I've never really heard of a game where a canon ending is that the main character dies, while it still being entirely the player's choice. It could prove for even more variety and interesting outcomes, especially if scenes would continue to play out after your death, just without your input.

Maybe in Alpha Protocol: The Spiritual Sequel (2016)

Dragon Age Origins?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
The latter (you get that cutscene no matter what), but if you watch your mission objectives during the mission there is a way to avoid that unfortunate consequence of getting detected.

Also, c'mon, man, use non-lethal takedowns on those guys, they're chill as hell.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah I could not be less impressed by Deus Ex's conversation system after its use in the final confrontation. It's nothing more than hitting the right button when whichever prompt comes up. The characters come off like total schizophrenics.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I'm with you 100%. And while I appreciate that it offers so many different avenues to tackle each objective, so often it seems like the correct one is just finding the nearest vent. I'm glad that the game at least represents that a CRPG-style game can still thrive in this age of Dragon Age 2 but it really does seem like a poor man's Bloodlines with a gussied-up conversation system.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Eel hovercraft posted:

Finished the game for the first time last night. The game was a blast with the exception of that final loving mission, argh. I managed to find Mina during the final mission but there was no sign of Scarlet, even though Leland mentioned that they had captured her. Did I miss something or did the game bug out?

Speaking of bugs, I had trouble with Westridge and his drat turret, I think I died something like five times during that section. On my final attempt, he somehow teleported right outside the upstairs door and just stood there while I shot him in the head :v: .

Best 2 euros I've spent in a while.

It didn't bug out - there are two really easy to miss doors in the final mission and at least you managed to find one! I've been saying this should be in the OP forever since tens of people have posted about the same problem.

libersyber posted:

Are there any chances for a sequel to this, or did the game really tank that bad?

It tanked pretty terribly and the brand is probably poisonous due to the bullshit terrible reviews it got, but I don't think a spiritual sequel is too much to hope for.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I think I've always done the first one of those regardless of martial arts level.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Inspired by the mistreatment of Alpha Protocol and how severely DA2 was overrated, I've actually been working on a mathematical formula to grade games that punishes those where reviewer and user scores are really disparate - or rather, it punishes those with comparatively high reviewer scores and rewards those with comparatively high user scores. (And it aims to use a broader range of scores than most sites which are then expressed in letter grades.)

Without any sort of programming expertise or the ability/access to query Metacritic, Gamerankings, IGN etc. to get their scores I don't really have any avenue to publish it but my results have been pretty good.

Alpha Protocol gets a C+ which puts it in the same realm as the most recent Call of Duty games - even with a lot of number manipulation and fine-tuning it's hard to get past the 64.92 Gamerankings score and the 63 Metacritic score.

Seriously, DEADLY PREMONITION got a 69.66 and a 68 from those measures. You can complain about Alpha Protocol's polish but it is INSANITY that AP is an average 5 points behind Deadly Premonition and 2 behind Kane & Lynch 2. It's obscene. The gaming press seriously reviewed this game with some kind of vendetta because there is no explanation for that, especially as these are Xbox 360 scores, a platform on which AP has a mere single bug. loving hell, it gets me mad. Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2 have some seriously destructive bugs that they've said they have no intention on fixing and yet Obsidian is the studio that has the reputation of releasing buggy games?

(Dragon Age Origins got a B which puts it in the LA Noire, Halo Reach, Fallout New Vegas region. Mass Effect 1 and DXHR both have an A-.

Dragon Age 2 and Kane & Lynch 2 have D+'s.)

(/derail)

Has there been a single publication that's written any sort of mea culpa about this game?

Role Play McMurphy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 3, 2011

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

GetWellGamers posted:

Not in public, no, but ask any Obsidian dev about journalists who contacted them about AP six months after their initial review for some sad/hilarious raging.

I've been tweeting nonsense at rope kid for months now and no luck

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Stop reading spoilers, idiots!

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Two-Face run, flip a coin for each mission: Heads you go kill everyone commando style, tails you go non-lethal stealth-master.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I mean, once you've played through once you'd pretty much know exactly what all the options are, with the possible exception of when to select the A actions.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Or just bugging all six of the terminals.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
yeah it needs to be in the OP or something I've said this every time some one misses it in this thread which is about 100 times by now

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Have the QR codes on his scrubs been addressed? I spent 45 min loving around trying to decipher them to no avail.

Yeah I don't think they're valid, I tried them as well.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

OldMemes posted:

In the endgame I sent Mina to work convertly, instead of keeping her in the safehouse, joined Haltech, but betrayed them - the only person on the boat was Stephen. I don't recall getting an option to save Mina - did I screw that up?

My first playthrough was very by the book, trying to gain the fsvour of as many people as possible, I think I'll play as more of a maverick rear end in a top hat character next time.

OK, since we've had like 30 testimonials about people making this mistake and I missed the entire thing on my first playthrough:

Welcome back to the Greybox! There is a point during this level where you return to the nondescript grey junction room that you raced through during the tutorial. The one right off the interrogation room with all the video screens, remember that? Make sure you don't just run to the opposite end of the room once you're here!

There are important plot developments that occur in the doors on either side of you. Before you cross the threshold of the room, make sure you go into the doors on your left and right.

I'm trying to describe the room from memory... is that helpful enough without being too revealing?

It didn't bug out - there are two really easy to miss doors in the final mission and at least you managed to find one! I've been saying this should be in the OP forever since tens of people have posted about the same problem.

yeah it needs to be in the OP or something I've said this every time some one misses it in this thread which is about 100 times by now

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
When I win the Mega Millions I'm financing a sequel to this game.

Sign the pledge!

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah, I'd prefer a spiritual sequel more than a direct sequel, probably. Maybe if Sega isn't involved they wouldn't have to anime it up as much (Sis being the most anime thing).

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Because she's a HEEL.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I don't know what any of those things are.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
The first hub is the worst, yes. The other three are considerably better/constitute the real game.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I keep recommending the Two-Face Run and nobody else will do it.

Flip a coin before every level. Heads, kill everyone and execute anyone you can in dialogue. Tails, ghost it or tranquilize everyone and spare anyone you can in dialogue.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I can't imagine how people that had trouble with the helicopter fight would've fared with, say, a boss battle in Mega Man 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Psalmanazar posted:

Just beat the game.

Basically my ending was Steven Heck saving my rear end and then we boated away to gently caress up more poo poo. I realized I forgot to rescue Mina about halfway through that cutscene. Where was she?

Yeah I've been arguing to have this put in the OP for a while.

• Locked thread