Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
One thing I like about Alpha Protocol is its relatively short length: that combined with the nice reactivity in the dialogue makes it one of the few games that are actually fun to replay. Usually I just burn out if I try to replay games like Dragon Age: Origins — games that take some 60 hours and where maybe 2% of the content changes according to your choices. But Alpha Protocol? It's fun to replay every time.

P.S. Still need to complete an aggressive shotgun rear end in a top hat playthough... ah, if I only had the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I cannot think of a reason why the PC version would have worse graphics or loading times. Anyway, I haven't played the console version, but in my experience, loading times are quite snappy on the PC. And it's not a very power-hungry game.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Does hacking....not work with the KB+M or something? I can't move the second password into place and just end up triggering the alarm.

You move the one of the passwords with your mouse and the other one with the WASD keys.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

For me the problem is that the boxes move so loving slowly and the one moved with the mouse can be a bit wonky to aim sometimes. It's not that bad though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

As far as I'm aware if you don't kill Sis on the boat she'll be captured at Brayko's mission. If she's killed on the boat, then that 'frees up' Albatross for the mansion mission.

I think it's either Albatross or SIE who gets captured, depending on which one you chose as your handler on the Embassy mission. I've never even seen Sis appear on that mission.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

Uh uh ummmmm so question.

I went to moscow first because well, y'know, spies and moscow go together like flies and poo poo.

So, uh.

PMC chick with the heavy machinegun. She gets entertained by Mike's initial 'hey what the gently caress are you doing here' approach, I decide to work with her.

I'm going to end up regretting that decision, like a lot, aren't I.

It depends on whether you like to be sexually assaulted by PMC chicks.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Also, playing on Hard makes the minigames significantly harder. Just one more reason to avoid it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

What do I need to do to find out that [secret dossier fact, Rome/Finale] Madison St. James is Parker's daughter? I've missed it on two different play-throughs.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you just need to get her full dossier and use the 'Dossier' (bottom option) in conversation after waking her up in the safehouse..

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Soonmot posted:

There are only 3 or 4 missions that can be completed without setting off alarms.

Saudi Air Field
CIA Listening Post
Taipei Warehouse
and
Moscow spoiler Molotek, but only if you make a deal with Surkov. If you choose to fight him it's an auto alarm.

The Nasri mission is another possibility too. The last part where you have to neutralize his bodyguards is loving hard though, but it's doable.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Also, you don't play on hard, do you?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Huitzil posted:

This is the only thread about a game that I can recall off the top of my head that wasn't filled with its ostensible fans talking about how stupid and rushed it was, how bad the writing was, how lazy the devs were, etc., etc.

And ironically enough, AP truly is a game where anyone can objectively find tons of problems. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but it really, really is a flawed gem. It does some things better than almost any game out there, but at the same time, things like the enemy AI, balance between weapons and the general feel of the gameplay just aren't very good.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stealthing through is very much possible on the Saudi missions. Sometimes the way to go about it isn't exactly obvious, but trying out alternate routes or waiting a bit until the timing of the guard patrols is favorable will pay off. The only really problematic area I can think of is the last part of the Nasri mission (specifically, his bodyguards), which can quite hard to pull off — at least without abusing silent running and the peculiarities of enemy eyesight. The game does have some moments where stealth doesn't really work, but I don't think that the Saudi missions really fall into that category.

Sometimes your cover is blown due to scripted sequences, but other than that, stealth works just fine.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

404notfound posted:

The annoying thing is that you can't end chain shot early, so once you get your skill in it up a bit, you have to let several real-time seconds pass while guys shoot you in slow-mo or you have to waste some bullets to force it to end.

Actually, you can. Someone posted the key in this thread (or maybe in the previous one). If I had to guess, I'd say it was E. But of course, this key wasn't documented in the game at all, so almost nobody knows about it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

thepopstalinist posted:

When I was chatting up Obsidian devs at PAX they made repeated reference to a Japanese samurai game whose name escapes me at the moment. Apparently it was like 2 hours long but had reactivity up the rear end.

It's Way of the Samurai.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Myron! Myron, baby Myron!

Also, Davin and Miria. :v:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Kin posted:

I'm also convinced that the first mission is impossible to stealth through properly. There's a checkpoint you have to bypass that has no means of bypassing other than running right up to it causing the turret guy to start shooting at you.

Which first mission? Sounds like you're talking about one of the Saudi missions, but the thing is, you can do them in any order.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Kin posted:

That's what I did and he loving spotted me :mad:

What armor are you wearing?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Leveling up Sabotage also nets you more cash from succesful hacks.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I don't know how it works on the consoles, but on the PC buying and selling are done through separate menus. If i remember correctly, clicking 'Buy' (at the bottom of the screen) takes you to the buy menu and clicking 'Sell' takes you to the sell menu.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Mike_V posted:

I don't know, I never found it that hard. Wait until you hear the lock on noise and then run to a different area and the missile won't hit you. There's also like 8 rocket launchers so if you miss with a couple it's not the end of the world.

Exactly. I've never died to that helicopter. Just shoot it with a rocket launcher, run to the next cover and repeat until it is destroyed.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

At least 5 in stealth, max pistols, a few points in sabotage and put rest in whatever you want. Tech Aptitude is a decent choice for your third skill.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Solomonic posted:

Steven. :colbert:

The funny thing about that is Technical Aptitude actually gives a reasonable way to save both the data and Albatross (rerouting security, etc). Veteran is just like "Yeah, I'll save both of them" and pulls it off, because that's how great Veteran Mike is.

This is the best thing. :v:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Dominoes posted:

I'm doing it on recruit on hard on my first playthrough - what's the problem?

The minigames. Good luck with the lockpicking minigame when you're on your third hub or so.

E: VVV Erm, yeah, I actually mean the keypad bypassing minigame. Not sure why I wrote lockpicking. :doh:

Smol fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 25, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Just had (Moscow spoilers) Brayko come visit Surkov with me. Every other playthrough he has just disappeared after giving his kickin' rad stereo system to me, but this time he just appeared out of the blue and killed Championchik and Surkov when I went after them. This loving game. :allears:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

gohuskies posted:

Look on your map when you are in the courtyard and it will show which objective is down which down.

Actually, I think the decision must be done in the dialogue with your handler shortly before entering the courtyard. Otherwise the other door can't be opened. Been a while since I've played that section though, so I could be wrong.

E: Forgot to spoiler.

Smol fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 13, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I feel like Obsidian missed out on a great opportunity by not binding the mouse controls for hacking to IJKL. That way, you can get the 100% accurate Hollywood hacking experience: wildly typing on the keyboard and somehow doing things right!

It would've been the perfect opportunity to implement double hacking. :v:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Fixed the graphics stuff and just finished my second veteran playthrough as :smugdog: Mike. Baiting Marburg in Rome was so satisfying, but somehow during the final op I missed finding Scarlet, again. I had figured she would have been with Mina, but apparently not? Or perhaps I just made the wrong choices, again. What exactly does determine her appearance in the Greybox?

She's in the room to your right after talking with Parker/Omen Deng on the screen.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

It's pretty easy to miss. The corridor in question has two doors, and if you choose the "wrong" one, you can't go back.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Here's where I'm getting it from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiFRsfDC6S4&t=1m55s. It sure sounds to me like the law is getting proposed to the US legislature. I mean maybe Darcy can propose laws in Europe, but it doesn't sound like that's what's happening to me.

That Madison Act is a separate event. Parker and Leland explain it quite clearly during the game that primary goal of the Rome attacks was to show Europeans that they're vulnerable to terrorism as well, thus making them enact some Patriot Act-esque legislation, which would increase Halbech profits via defense contracts and such.

E: I should spoiler-tag this poo poo.

Smol fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 29, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Torsade de Pointes posted:

I know what their goals are, but what their goals are and what actually occurs (according to the ending newscast)are not the same thing. If you listen to the newscast, it says she becomes some kind of figurehead for people in favor of stronger government regulations if she dies. It says nothing about what happens in Europe as a result of it. The new Patriot Act is being introduced in America. There's nothing to suggest that Europe is gonna do the same thing.

Ah, you're right. For some reason I thought we were discussing Halbech's goals, not what actually happens.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Went back to playing this again today after a break. The subway missions are cool as balls.

I think you mean cool as heck. :colbert:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Cerepol posted:

Holy poo poo, I just went through the hardest drat part of this game so far.

Basically after doing 2 of the hubs and then working on completing my third (Rome), there's a certain mission Investigate Marburg's Villa where you have to melee 2 guys at once. However the game had already reached a drat near impossible state to melee people due to me being, as previously stated, 2.5 hubs in. This lead to one of the most aggravating "boss" fights of all time. I basically had to throw off a chain and if I got hit twice, back off and regen some endurance so I can throw off a chain. This guys were monsters. They took 10ish punches to finish and they dodged 7/8 punches I threw their way.

Don't play on hard. Seriously.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Magic posted:

Any tips for a first play through?

Don't reload. Get 5 ranks in stealth. Don't worry about alarms and blowing up your cover. Karate chops are fun. Suave and Agressive options are the best.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Shotguns and SMGs don't have chain shot (or assault rifle's long range accuracy).

Regarding (Darcy spoilers) the Darcy fight, another option is to simply kick the door open. It might require a few points in martial arts, though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The Duke posted:

I just beat this game for the first time, couldn't find Mina at the end so she died. I was completely alone on the boat at the end :smith:

(Final mission spoilers) Mina is in the room to your left, after Leland/Westridge mocks you on screen and says something like "We've got Mina". It's pretty easy to miss..

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

It'll be tough maxing all three of them, but leaving stealth at 5 (awareness) until you've maxed the other two skills is perfectly adequate.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Assault rifles also have enough stopping power to be used without critical hits, unlike pistols. A few short burts will down just about any any enemy, critical hits or not.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The hardest part about the Brayko fight was realizing that the game has a sprint button. After that eureka moment (and running the gently caress away when he charges at you), Brayko was just a mild annoyance.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I seriously don't get what problems people seem to have with that helicopter. I've never died to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

I think he means outrunning the subway car

Wait what, there's an another solution than to pick the door behind you open? :aaaaa:

• Locked thread