Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The gameplay isn't even all that bad and its actually fun once you get the hang of it. Having high Martial Art skills and dropkicking and curbstomping every goon in the room never got old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can also leave a hub at anytime to go to another. I never had to do it, but its still handy to know.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Riven posted:

I apparently suck at guns, because I get the other two post missions every time, but I've never gotten that one from Mina.
Performing critical hits get you the most points and are more important than time. It's easy to get it once you realize how the scoring works.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It also makes protecting Surkov easier because then the guards won't die off like flies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just wish they patched that bug where they consider you having killed marines if you snuck in through the roof. That's the only problem I had with the game bugwise.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

El Tortuga posted:

content: Once I get a little more money, I want to buy this game proper from a retailer. I bought it used at GameStop for like 8 bucks. Which was a steal, but also a shame because it shows how under-appreciated this game is. I need to give this team my money directly.
Then you should buy Project Eternity when that comes out instead, because Obsidian doesn't see a cent of AP's sales anymore but will get all of PE's sales.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 13, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Breetai posted:

I'm trying to remain spoiler-free, but just with regards to weapon selection; can I make it through the game with just the pistol, stealth, and the submachinegun, or am I gimping myself?
No, you're far from screwing yourself, stealth and pistols are two of the best skills in the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

You actually missed my favorite reveal.

Instead of going to save Mina, you can find her in the interrogation room at the Graybox if you slept with her and she'll confess everything to you and you can make her your handler.
You can actually find this out right before you leave for the Greybox . If she likes you enough and you persuade her she will admit she set up you to get burned and that's she CIA.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Oh yeah sorry, I can't believe I read that wrong.

Though you don't have to romance Scarlet for her to join you she just needs to like you enough.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Breetai posted:

I'm not sure why this game got such a bad rap. Sure skills aren't completely balanced, and there are signs that it's definitely a bit of a rushed console port in that aspects of the interface lack a little polish and load times/delays in opening menus were frankly horrendous, but it was an extremely fun game that made it feel like every action you took had actual consequences beyond, say, the standard bioware pet-the-puppy/kick-the-puppy 'morality' choices. Why were people so negative towards it?
Because I doubt most reviewers ever made it past Saudi.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pellisworth posted:

Select a handler for the final mission:

Steven Heck

-Select-

:getin:
I still need to do a kill everyone playthrough and betray Leland just so Leland's reaction to Thorton saying Heck's backing him is even funnier.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Assault rifles also make the fight with the helicopter in the Gray Box laughably easy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah you should always have an assault rifle as a secondary weapon, it makes the helicopter boss at the Greybox laughably easy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You also haven't met the best villain in the game yet. I'd say he's one the best video game villains in general because he's the only one I can think of that really puts your player input into account.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I still need to replay this game one day so I can kill everyone off and betray Leland so me and my best buddy Heck can ride off into the sunset with all the swag.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Not to mention that Heck is pretty quick to completely throw you under the bus if he doesn't like you by framing you for Sung's assassination. If he and you are pals he probably decides he likes Thorton more than Halbech and backstabs them instead.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Shaheed is pretty willing to rat out Halbech, I can see why Halbech would want him dead once he was no longer useful.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, it would also seem pretty wasteful to hire this promising new operative just to get him killed.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 8, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
A prequel during the Cold War focusing on Deus Vult would have been cool if Sega didn't own the rights.

I really wish Obsidian would make a spiritual successor, it doesn't even really need the combat just the conversation system.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 9, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wolfsheim posted:

I always got the impression that Darcy was pretty much in the dark. I mean, he was just another field agent who happened to have a rich daddy, not sure why he would really be in the loop, and all of his dialogue about first being jealous at and then betrayed by Mike seemed genuine.

Speaking of Darcy: of all the endgame stats you can leave on, there are only like three that are consistent. Both Heck and Hong Shi left alive and Darcy dead. I wonder if, in the never-to-be-seen sequel, they were planning on including Senator Darcy in any substantial way?
Grigori lives no matter what too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Omen is playing up on a huge facade in order to stay in the Chinese Secret Police so it makes sense why his personality seems inconsistent after you let him live after Sung's assassination/attempt.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can never get Marburg to work for you, right? My last playthrough was Thorton Inc. and getting everyone on my side but I couldn't with Marburg.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Brayko would have fit right into Blood Dragon.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

moller posted:

What's the total tally of unkillable characters? Hong Shi, Heck, and Grigori?

Edit: Can you kill Sie and Albatross in the same playthrough?
Yes to both.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

2house2fly posted:

Wait, if you kill Sie or Albatross at Brayko's mansion how can you kill the other one?
You have to side with Albatross in Brayko's mansion because you can kill SIE at the train station if I'm not mistaken.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Max Wilco posted:

I finally decided to pick AP up again after finding this thread.

I decided to go with the Soldier class, but I'm still trying to use stealth as much as possible. I just did the Nasiri mission, and was able to sneak a few areas, but had to shoot my way through the rest. I've been putting the points I've been earning into Stealth & Sabotage. Should I be putting points into anything else?

Also, when aiming, is there a way to switch which shoulder you aim over?
Put points into pistols and watch everybody drop dead from Chainshot and Technical Aptitude so you can use Brilliance and do another Chainshot right after. Also keep in mind that Stealth in AP, while really good, is more meant for combat than pure ghosting.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 14, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

moller posted:

Everyone misses Mina. I mean, they tried to signpost it, but you're rushing forward while being taunted over the intercom system and you have to make a hard (left?) turn into a door you can't even see.
In my first playthrough I didn't skip Mina but I totally accidentally skipped Scarlet.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

3Romeo posted:

That speaks to a strange contradiction in the game: the animations aim for realism but the mechanics let the player literally turn invisible and freeze time. Might be why it seems so goddamned weird to look at--the medium (quirky game engine)and the tone (quasi-realistic spy story) are at separate odds.
AP takes place in quasi-realistic world in general because you have Omen who can turn invisible and good ol Brayko who becomes the invincible god of cocaine.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can't really ghost AP, so what you're doing is fine.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
My favorite example is Albatross especially if you kill Sis. Taunting him like the smug rear end in a top hat that you are to have him attack the Gray Box because it would be his only way to get his revenge on you is great.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sam. posted:

How do you get to fight Westridge? Every playthrough I've only encountered Darcy during the finale.
Agree to let Shaheed go before the final level.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also keep in mind Stealth is meant to be used offensively, AP is not a game really meant for pure ghosting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, the only story bug I remember is sneaking through the roof in the embassy in Moscow makes the game think you gunned down all the guards.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Thoughtless posted:

Speaking of this, is there a way to actually avoid it?
Bluff past the guard at the front door, aggressive and veteran both work.

Not spoilering it, because Thoughtless should know about it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crappy Jack posted:

When the thread was back in full swing, I would make a point of this, but you haven't beaten Alpha Protocol until you've played it through at least twice; your first playthrough, you don't even realize how much stuff you missed until you go through again, and suddenly characters have motivations you didn't know anything about, and Mike is doing cool poo poo you didn't realize you could do.
Yeah, I remember beating the game and thinking along lines of "Yeah, that was pretty good". Then I came back to it again for a second playthrough some time later and after that I realized that AP was one of my favorite games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shotgun rear end in a top hat Thorton. Though don't stomp on downed enemies if you want a high body count because it will count as a non-lethal takedown.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's also Smarmy Douchebag Thorton, who is also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Litany Unheard posted:

I played through this game five separate times and got new scenes/dialogue/missions/etc. each time. Absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately it'll be a long time before we ever see anything like it again (we'll never see another game like it :()
It's sad there really isn't many, but I recommend checking out supergreatfriend's LP of MODE. MODE is this unreleased mid 90's FMV game where you play as a party crasher at this eccentric rich guy's art party. The main form of gameplay is a dialogue system determined by colors, green is positive, blue is neutral, and red is negative. It's actually a really reactive game like AP and there's a lot that you can miss out on. It really felt like a spiritual predecessor to AP when it comes to player reactivity despite the technical limitations and weird UI.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 7, 2015

• Locked thread