Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
About Combat

The key thing to remember is, like the OP says, this is an RPG. Running and gunning is almost never the most efficient way to clear a room full of badguys. Combat is more about using your skills in combination, almost like a puzzle game, than just pretending this is Call of Duty and getting your rear end shot off.

The best thing about this game is that if you want to play the game like a crazy person, tag SMGs or Shotguns along with toughness and you will be able to just run out in the middle of a room and shoot everyone to hell. Know your skills and how to use them allows you to customize the combat of this game to whatever you want it to be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Torsade de Pointes posted:

They don't really need to make a direct sequel to AP. I would be perfectly happy with Deus Vault the game. An AP style game set in the Cold War era. I would buy it.

G22 all the way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You play as Sis.

Dialogue wheel:

code:

...!      ...?

Pistols

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Can you actually Melee any of the bosses to death in this game? Like, ANY of them?

There's only one that you can't and that boss is optional.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nitevision posted:

Enjoying this game a lot so far (just finished Saudi Arabia) but holy poo poo why would they let someone be a secret agent if he can't loving shoot. At all. God I would bleed for some MGS-style ironsights. Running around CQCing people is so much faster and less frustrating than trying to shoot them

If you're using pistols or AR, wait for the targeting reticule to shrink and turn red. Go for short bursts with the SMGs and hit bullet storm right before your clip empties. With shotguns, go hog wild!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Boy Wunder posted:

I am stuck at the Moscow Embassy, trying to defend Surkov. I am heavily into stealth and pistols and have no other weapons available to me other than level 2 martial arts and one grenade. Is there anything I can do other than reload my last save at the safehouse and buy the sniper rifle? Great game so far, but this part is so loving dumb that I'm close to giving up. The loving guy doesn't even move when a grenade is thrown a foot away from him.

I mentioned this in the last thread, and I think in this one too, but it needs to be said again:

Do not treat AP combat like it's a shooter, or even an action RPG. Treat it like you're playing a puzzle game. You have X amount of enemies and Y amount of skills/ Z amount of gadgets. How can you use or combine Y+Z to eliminate all of X? Someone already mentioned it, but with stealth and pistols you can start with Shadow operative neck stabs and then, once that wears off, activate chain shot to take down a few more guys. Chuck some grenades or shock bombs at the far guys, activate fury and close into whoever is closest while you wait for Chain Shot to refresh. As longs as dudes are shooting at you, they won't be shooting at Surkov.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jamsque posted:

Got this in the Steam sale expecting it to be average and it blew me away. Went full stealth (field agent, spy) and mostly suave first playthrough, trying to decide what do to next. Obvious choice for origin is Recruit, and I'll probably go for SMGs or shotguns or something. Beyond that I'm not really sure how to approach a second playthrough, I can't remember half of the dialogue options I chose. Should I just pick one response and stick with it for 90% of the game or what? My gamer instincts were to try and maximise my reputation with every character at every opportunity, is it actually interesting (plot-wise) to piss people off?

Also I noticed that this game includes 'gently caress off' as a dialogue option twice. Just genius.

Do what feels right, no matter what the game rewards you. Also, after doing stealthy professional, shotgun rear end in a top hat Thorton is a popular second style.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

Just finished my first play through. GAME loving OWNS.

Bioware should take note of how to do romance. Or should I say bromance. Stephen Heck and Michael just boated off into the sunset talking about how much poo poo they just hosed up!

Now I just have to find time to start a second play through...

True Fact: Originally, I'm On a Boat was going to play for that ending, we've been told.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Caseus Maximus posted:

I'm running around in the final mission.

I killed Darcy on the 3rd attempt after realizing I had Shadow Operative and Chain Shot and getting lucky enough to activate Chain Shot when his head was actually showing. I had no idea that one of the other towers had a sniper rifle. Maybe next time.

However, the mother loving infinite missile launching helicopter keeps killing me over and over.

Is there some secret to getting past it that I haven't figured out or is it just Shadow Operative to a good spot, pick off the soldiers one at a time, then grab the rocket launchers and hope for the best?

Because, Shadow Operative doesn't work against the helicopter. It still aims directly for me even when I'm invisible and hits me when I'm backed up in the sniper towers like it has magic Mike-seeking missiles that can change course and bend around roofs.

They don't track you and fire at a regular interval. Kill the guards, grab the rocket launchers and aim for the rotors. Worse comes to worse, you can hide in the building at the far end of the battle area and shoot out of a hole in the roof at the helicopter without it being able to target you.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Caseus Maximus posted:

Does the app have to be running to set the affinity? If I alt-tab out of it, it
won't come back up when I alt-tab back in to it.

If not, how do I set the core affinity without the app running.

It runs fine on my 6 core desktop, but my dual-core laptop has issues.

Are you talking about the one right underneath the helicopter? If so, it hit me with a missile when I was trying to do what you suggest. I was shooting out of the opening in the roof at it and suddenly I was a flying rag doll of death.

Huh. I've never actually done because I've always blown it away before then. :smug:

Seriously, though, if you just hang out in the middle/back of the upper area and move from side to side when it fires, you'll be fine unloading with pistols or AR.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bart Fargo posted:

I'm going through my first Veteran run, and noticed something strange when I'm hacking wall panels like the alarm panels or keypads for doors. I took a couple of points in the Sabotage skill to make most hacking/locks/keypads easier and they were for the first several areas. I'm on Taipei now as my final area and the keypads have gone through the roof in terms of complexity. Up until now they've had at most six nodes you have to tamper with. Now there are ten.

Picking manual locks like on doors or closets have also gone from three tumblers to five which did not happen in the Recruit run. Hacking PCs is still pretty simple though. It's gotten to the point where I carry six to eight EMPs with me because I am not fast enough.

I was under the impression that going with the Veteran option opened up some new dialog options and started you off with a bunch of skill points, but didn't think it affected much else. Was I just wrong about that? Just seems weird that they would be normal/easy-ish for the first two main areas but the final one ramps up the complexity by a ton.

The more skill points you have the more difficult things become.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\ The only 360 minigame I ever had trouble with when it raised to super high levels was lock picking. You're dead on about the circuit game, the more paths, the easier it is to see.

pnumoman posted:

To clarify, it's more about the level you are than the skill points you invest in Sabotage; so the later you are in the game, the harder the minigame.

Not really, people who've hacked the PC version to add more skill points in the last thread posted about how minigame difficulty skyrocketed. Unless they also hacked the levels too. Either way, the result is the same.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pnumoman posted:

Yeah, I know, I can read. It was a rhetorical question, seeing as how points in sabotage are supposed to reduce difficulty of minigames, yet at the same time it makes the minigames more difficult.

So...:golfclap:

Total points in everything, not sabotage exclusively. Sorry if I was unclear. If you dump your points into everything except sabotage, you will have a harder time than if you put points into that skill, reducing the overall difficulty.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've had this game since release. I am just now trying a hard run. I'm cheesing it with a veteran pistol/stealth/toughness build with significant points invested in sabotage and martial arts. Let us see how many times I throw my controller.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Category Fun! posted:

Marburg is an old man who hatesyoung whipersnapperswho act like smug dicks.

It was going to be the ending for leaving on the boat with Steven Heck. Presumably it wasn't included because Obsidian are THE WORST DEVELOPERS EVER

It's okay, I've got it queued up to play on my computer.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress! At the end of Moscow I'm going for Judge, Jury and Executioner achievement and I just executed Albatross at Brayko's. This is the first time I've executed my handler and that poo poo was COLD!

Hard mode is going okay, of course I am cheesing it with pistols/stealth. Surkov's rescue was rough because I forgot to buy the sniper rifle or it didn't spawn, but smart use of Chain Shot, Iron Will, Fury and a few incendiary grenades made short work of the fight.

EDIT: Also, the blood from the dead person is black, I think it was a life model decoy, which would totally fit with that organization.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 14, 2011

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm just finishing up Taipei, my last hub, on my hard run and, upon checking my achievement list, saw that the 360 has NO achievement for hard mode. gently caress, you guys weren't kidding about how difficult the minigames were on this mode. I have both integrated circuitry mods and the second difficulty reduction skill for the minigames and I still have to use emps! On normal, even without sabotage or mods I only had to use EMPS if I didn't feel like waiting a few seconds to hack or whatever.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hank Morgan posted:

There IS an achievement for hard mode.

Some of those hacks become ridiculously hard. Best thing to do is only do the hacks you need to do rather than every single one.

You... you are correct. I think something magical happened because I already have that achievement along with No Time For Love, both of which I know I didn't have already. My only open ones are Judge, Jury, Executioner and Thornton Inc (Which I could have sworn I gained previously).

loving wizards.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GetWellGamers posted:

Speaking of armor mods, if you have two different ones do they add or just use the best one? Like, is a +1 and +2 gloves equal to +3 or just +2 and a wasted slot?

Yes, they stack, this is the only thing that's making late game minigames remotely possible on hard mode.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

Hard mode hacking becomes virtually impossible without cyborg reflexes around the game's halfway point, even if you do have points in hacking.

Without a 360 controller. On normal mode without armor mods or points in sabotage, all the minigames are totally doable, that's why I am so amazed at the difficulty of the games on hard mode. I didn't get 10 pin circuits until the end of the game on normal.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

I admit to never having stapled myself in the dick played the game on Hard.

Me and Heck are storming the castle right now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

It's definitely not worth it, at all. Unless you want the achievement. It's just a waste of time and really highlights and magnifies of the shortcomings that you can kinda gloss over on Easy and Normal.

Here's another theory about critic reception: maybe they all played on hard?

My buddy did video game reviews for a website for awhile and he always played everything on the maximum possible difficulty. I tried to explain that the majority of people would never play at that hard a setting and that his reviews would be more beneficial if he played at normal settings but he wouldn't hear of it. For the record, he likes Alpha Protocol but never reviewed it during his time there.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BSAKat posted:

In Taipei In the Triad Base mission, is there a way to get into Eric Chung's room without tripping an alarm? I can get to the back of the room to close the sluice gates and open the safe, but if I so much as glance at the window there are three assholes looking in and immediately spot me/rush through the door/sound the alarm.

Also, this loving game. Best five dollars I ever spent.

There are only 3 or 4 missions that can be completed without setting off alarms.

Saudi Air Field
CIA Listening Post
Taipei Warehouse
and
Moscow spoiler Molotek, but only if you make a deal with Surkov. If you choose to fight him it's an auto alarm.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Smol posted:

The Nasri mission is another possibility too. The last part where you have to neutralize his bodyguards is loving hard though, but it's doable.

If you don't fire the missile at the castle when you play that level, you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

the_american_dream posted:

wait whoa stop. You can shoot alarms?

Even better, you can sneak up to it and set an incendiary grenade by one, then sneak back to the start and run in, guns blazing. The first unfortunate soul to get to that alarm gets set on fire.

Ninja rear end in a top hat Thorton is awesome.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ShineDog posted:

This changes everything.

Can some badguys just use personal radios though?

They alert other nearby guards, but not the whole level.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Huh, the end game sniper tower door is not bashable again. I have both EMPs and martial arts skill.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I was stealth/ pistols, so I just Shadow Operatived and then chain shotted him in the face with steel core bullets. I'm just weirded out that the last two times I've played the bash option hasn't been there on that door.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ChuckDHead posted:

Ah right. Also good.

By the way, has anyone else found that tossing grenades and incendiaries at Darcy is a totally ineffective tactic since he doesn't seem to take damage from them and possibly seems to be able to throw them back or something? Or am I just somehow not aiming right every single time?

No, I was never able to damage him like that on my tech run.

I realized that I made a mistake in my Judge, Jury, Executioner run so I ended up lighting a stogie at the end of the game. That was kind of cool.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Ha, that's exactly the way I was trying to play too, maybe I will try going the Jack Bauer season 8 route.

Keep in mind that stealth is a means towards killing/incapacitating enemies, not ghosting a level without being seen. I think a lot of people are getting hung up on this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

I feel that the game could have been better if you weren't pushed to specialize as hard or as far as you are. With recruit, for example, you can really only approach maxing three skills and the rest will be pretty lackluster or outright terrible. Maybe if the skill trees didn't go quite so high so you could spread things out (this would also help the problem of some of the ranks feeling like placeholders--oh boy I regen endurance a whole second faster!)

By the way, I'm not really clear on just what the numbers on guns really mean. Damage is obvious but "high stopping power" and "below average stopping power" in a weapon is usually a difference of 2 points out of 30. What exactly do recoil and stability mean in the game world?

edit: And has anyone else noticed that, for all their vaunted rivalry, Mike always keeps Darcy's picture next to his bed?

Recruit is a special situation, but with a normal or veteran playthrough, maxing one, two or all three of your tagged skills as well as whatever non tagged skills you wish isn't that big a deal. Especially on veteran.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

IanCaw posted:

Unrelated note: I want to play a psychopathic shotgun/smg ubermensch-Heckalike in my next run through, so I'm wanting to edit the amount of AP each level gives you. I can't get either DefaultLevelChart.ini or APLevelChart.ini to actually make a difference towards what AP I get at the beginning of the game. Is the steam version protected from such tampering or something?

If you do this, prepare for minigames to be unplayable. Difficulty scales in proportion to how many AP you have.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TotallyGreen posted:

Other than the mini games, is this game dramatically better on either Keyboard or 360 controller? I have both, but I generally prefer keyboard.

Also, is hard ridiculously hard or playable on a first play through?

I just finished a veteran stealth/pistols run on Hard. I've played this game almost a dozen times and all hard mode does is magnify the game's shortcomings. Normal difficulty is the sweet spot.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

This is the key. It seems so natural going through it once you'll be surprised that things could be different.

And will seem just as natural and "correct path" the second time... and the third.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alogen posted:

I bought this on this thread and completed it last weekend on the back of this thread.

I enjoyed this game a lot. The voice acting is really good!

I would have absolutely hated to play this game without reading this thread in advance, though. People have gone over all the gameplay problems and even knowing about them in advance, I still nearly got screwed a few times. In addition I feel that without this thread I just wouldn't have figured a lot of the situations were reactions to my earlier choices or just scripted - since I knew the game had this element I took my time reading dossiers, thinking carefully about conversations and so on. It would have been very easy just to go through it Mass Effect style though and assume a lot of what I experienced was the default, which would make it far less interesting.

The one big thing I wished they'd done is put something in the marketing (highlight it for reviewers!) and at the beginning of the game stressing the effects of decisions down the road, the importance of intel and so on. You've made an adaptive world, let people know!

That your actions feel like the default character path no matter what you do is part of this game's beauty. Seriously, play it a second time doing the exact opposite of what you just did, it'll still feel natural and "right".

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Reichstag posted:

Because of the (somewhat realistic) impossibility of shooting and running, I find myself sneaking most places even during my current assault rifle playthrough. In many ways, assaulting from stealth and cover is proving much more valuable now than during my stealth/pistols playthrough.

e: Also, I went through my entire first playthrough without realizing you can switch locations without finishing them, which is lucky, because beating Brayko was completely impossible without a little help from my buddy Steven.

If you're going AR, run and gun is very viable. When you activate the AR power, just do a quick burst and then release your aim button. When you hit the aim button again, it'll auto lock on/crit the nearest enemy IN THE FACE.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

Some I'm doing my veteran run, in moscow, I think I hosed something up.

The mission after I beat Brayko where I can fight Championik, what's the trigger for it?

You have to spare Brayko and question him further before executing him.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Smol posted:

The minigames. Good luck with the lockpicking minigame when you're on your third hub or so.

E: VVV Erm, yeah, I actually mean the keypad bypassing minigame. Not sure why I wrote lockpicking. :doh:

Mini game difficulty is scaled to the total number of skill points you have, so recruits actually have an easier time than veterans towards the end.

Hank Morgan posted:

Look back a few pages in this thread. I seem to remember this exact issue being discussed.

To save the trouble, the consensus was that PS3 controllers suck rear end and you should buy some trigger extensions.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 26, 2011

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Actually it wasn't. The consensus and solution was to tweak the deadzone in the options of motioninjoy. The ability to press the triggers had gently caress all to do with it and trigger extensions are useless for the problem.

edit: also PS3 controller's don't "suck rear end".

Yes they do. They are tiny, flimsy little things with a retarded plug and charge cord that gets lost all the time. My buddy's PS3 is used as a bluray player because neither of us can stand to use that controller.

I'm not being a console warrior, there are a lot of things I like about the PS3, but the controller is one of the weakest aspects of that system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Okay, so I got clear of Saudi Arabia and let Shaheed live. What's a good next mission for someone still trying to get the hang of the game?

Hop from hub to hub and do the missions that introduce you to contacts. Then Taipei. I like doing Taipei -> Russia -> Rome

• Locked thread