Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's the only CRPG I can think of off the top of my head that's set in non-bizarro modern day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Scorchy posted:

Someone once mentioned it was the 'correct' way to actually knife someone in the throat but hell if I know.

Most of the animations that people have complained are unrealistic suffer because they are realistic and other video game ones aren't. The crouching animation is the best example of this.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ropekid didn't have that much to do with AP, as far as I'm aware.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yes, that's all you get. Some people are missing it (and in at least one case in the last thread didn't know there was supposed to be text, meaning that they executed people accidentally all the time).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Zorak posted:

they didn't take the time to polish out the bugs and niggles that apparently ruined the reviews.

A lot of the things the reviewers complained about aren't bugs or niggles (eg complaining that pistols are worthless when it's a spy game so they should be good, the crouching animation is not the same as the one in other games so it's retarded!) and in any case the bugs generally aren't gamebreaking, as you'll find in games like Dragon Age. Still not fixed, as far as I know!

In addition, according to Obsidian the thing people most disliked (the RPG-lite start insanely inaccurate with your guns) was forced on them by Sega.

Oh, and depending on what plot arcs you're talking about failing to ramp up there's a good chance that's because you didn't find anything about them rather than them not existing. The game doesn't spoonfeed you everything like most modern games do, although it also doesn't ever really give you a feeling of "whoops, I did that section wrong" which is vital with a time limited response.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It hasn't been patched in any meaningful way, presumably due to Sega not giving a poo poo.

And, as always, I don't think that applies to Obsidian games any more than Bethesda or Bioware. Maybe even less so.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kaizer88 posted:

while Westridge is some hypocritical fuckwit who has no compunctions throwing family-less duty driven rookies to the wolves in the name of national security.

You sure about that :ssh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

THE PWNER posted:

The missile strike was Mina's doing iirc, and she didn't intend for it to kill Mike, but to use it to convince him that he'd have to go rogue, etc

Don't read this spoiler (wrt missile strike). Find out for yourself.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Dtoid's always been extra hard on AP.

Obsidian in general. There's an article on there about how much they hosed up KOTOR and Fallout.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Really? I loving loved KOTOR2. And New Vegas was pretty good, though I'm not in the raving fanboy camp on it.

The argument was that they didn't "get" KOTOR and so just made a shitter version of the first game. Same with Fallout.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BIFF! posted:

Did I screw myself by adding too many points in a skill tree or something?

Hacking difficulty is determined by your number of AP. By adding a huge amount, you made the hacking much more difficult.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The bug was chain shot, line up (allowed shots - 1) cancel chain shot, they still go off.

Frankly, Chain Shot is so powerful anyway that it's a bit like turning on God mode and then using the console to kill anything just in case.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

He voiced Jeremy Irons. Like, the actual human being, Jeremy Irons. Took over halfway through Irons' song in The Lion King.

When Irons's voice gave out that is, not in some kind of body snatching thing

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Syvere posted:

I meant story-wise. Any recommended allies and such for the first playthrough?

No because the point of the game is its reactive story

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

Seriously, what is up with that?

You can't break the door unless you have an even number of points with Darcy

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Doesn't have to be an alarm necessarily. Basically, no enemy awareness icon can turn red from what I understand. From what I recall, at least half the levels are impossible.

Turn yellow. Except there are two kinds of yellow - the "I know you're there and I'm hunting for you" and "What was that noise?". The second you can have, the first you can't.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And the Game Informer review wishes the dialogue was more reactive. You know, like Mass Effect :pseudo:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Thorton is definitely more Timothy Dalton than Roger Moore in terms of tone. Although some of the suave lines are just as bad as Moore's time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

epitaph posted:

It'd be cool if somebody who's less lazy than me could map out a conversation in AP and a conversation in Mass Effect along the lines of what was done for a level in Deus Ex; it'd highlight the desparity even more.

That's pretty trivial for ME but (without delving into the code) impossibly difficult for AP.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

You... you worked on AP? :worship:

Tell us more!

He was in charge of the Rome hub, doesn't know what "honeycomb" refers to, left before completion, didn't get a copy from Sega when it was finished and not a lot of people know that.

I think that covers most of it, details can be filled in by ?ing him in this thread or the other thread which may or may not be in the archives by now.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Huitzil posted:

Of course they saved you a lot of money, goons hate drat near everything. This is the only thread about a game that I can recall off the top of my head that wasn't filled with its ostensible fans talking about how stupid and rushed it was, how bad the writing was, how lazy the devs were, etc., etc.

What about New Vegas? Or Arkham Asylum? Or any other actually good games rather than games that weren't much above mediocre (like DA2).

Huitzil posted:

And like I said before, AP is a good game, but you can't exactly be surprised that a game that shows little to none of its good qualities in the introductory missions, and requires multiple complete playthroughs to really appreciate, would be critically panned. Most people don't even play through a game once, much less multiple times.

I don't think it's unreasonable for reviewers to get past what is essentially an extended tutorial when reviewing the game, or to have any idea about what, say, the weapons do.

If they didn't like the game then that's fine, noone has to like things I like. It's when they say things like "pistols should be great in spy games, but in Alpha Protocol the pistol is literally useless" or "It's just another modern day game set in the middle east where you fight terrorists" that annoy me because it's clear they didn't even give the game a chance.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Huitzil posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't I? It is a good game. I would like it if more people enjoyed it.

Just because more people could like it doesn't mean it would be better game. A lot of great games are fairly dislikable to a lot of people due to the things that make them great or give them huge depth. Imagine releasing BG2 today - compared to modern day games (and versions of D&D) the game is very difficult to get into and the combat system is obtuse but that combat system is a large part of the reason why it is great.

Huitzil posted:

Also the lack of publisher support is NOT its only flaw. The game's dialogue and plotting are fantastic but the gameplay is not pulling its loving weight.

I'd say the biggest problem with the gameplay by far is the issue with weapons being levelled RPG abilities, which was a publisher mandate.

The other main issue people tend to have with the game is the animations (eg the crouch walk), and that's nothing to do with Obsidian - that's the orthodoxy being wrong.

You say you don't want to recommend games with the proviso "but it gets better later!". Surely that's something common to almost all RPGs - no matter how good the game is at the start, as long as the combat mechanics are based on stats in some way it tends to be unintuitive.

Take the first level of Deus Ex as an example. A lot of people hated it, were completely put off the game by it. But in terms of the number of options you have and general flow it's probably one of the best.

Demanding that games are all very easy to get into is frustrating because it encourages the simplification of gameplay mechanics and in almost all cases reducing the depth of the combat system. Look at Dragon Age 2 - the game puts you straight into a fight and gives you all your classes advanced abilities right at the start in order, so they said, to give you an idea of how your character will play at higher levels so running around with a single ability will not be frustrating.

But, ignoring all the other problems, this requirement necessarily makes the game shallow. By making all the abilities understandable by someone who's only just started the game they have inevitably made the combat system a simple damage in/damage out model. Completely kills the depth.

Easier to get into than Baldur's Gate 2 or Deus Ex? Certainly. Better game? Certainly not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

Has anyone ever actually paid RRP for this game?

Preordered :c00l:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

But he's using a shotgun. Every video game shotgun has a giant spread, and people seem to like it.

Not Crysis, and I was a big fan of that shotgun

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

Why exactly did this game get bad reviews? I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Because it's the most buggy game ever made. If you try to install it, it will delete your boot.ini file. When you try to play it, random NPCs drop through the floor. Under Windows XP you can't talk to anyone and it claims they're always busy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CoffeeBreak80 posted:

Wait a minute. So just to confirm, if I can see words like "professional," "sauve," and "aggressive" in the dialogue tree, that's all I'm supposed to see?

Yes. That's all you see. The OP is badly written. The problem people were having was that they wouldn't see any text, leading to many accidental executions.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GloomMouse posted:

Just bought this game on a lark and it's really great, but gently caress this "enemies disappear when reloading a save" bug. It's not even a reload after death you loving game.

Go through the menu rather than quickloading or such.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I think that only works in the unpatched version

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Party based games have a problem with this since all party members typically need to fight, so every doctor and scientist is also a fighter.

Myron! Myron, baby Myron!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Towards the end, fighting the helicopter, is it just really tough or what? I cleared all the henchmen and shot at it with all the rockets, it still won't go down. Its quite frustrating and I'd be really angry if the game as hosed up so close to what I presume to be the finale.

Shoot it with guns?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

No mods that I'm aware of, and Steam autopatches. There are some ini changes in the op (or at least they were last time I looked) that may or may not be useful for you, try the game first and see.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

What do you mean nothing happens? You open the door and then nothing or what?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hannibal Smith posted:

I'm pretty sure there aren't any recruit options after you leave the Grey Box. There are some Veteran ones throughout the game, but they're still fairly rare.

That's good though because otherwise you'd be railroaded into taking those ones (unless you wanted to play recruit again) which goes against what's so good about the game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Delacroix posted:

This is a just a suggestion, but it's probably worthwhile to go in the absolute complete opposite of whatever you did the first time around. It seems everyone plays in character and goes bourne or archer, stealthy spy agent, which is exactly why they need to go shotgun rear end in a top hat who makes people spill their wodka.

Archer is a shotgun rear end in a top hat though?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Luisfe posted:

I think Space bar is a fast forward through conversation button.

He means skipping the shooting bits to get to the conversations, not skipping the conversations to get to the shooting bits.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

There were also a bit too many instances of "sure you can sneak if you want. Oh, but wait here's a story triggered alarm!"

It's not really supposed to be ghosted, sneaking in this game is mainly another combat skill.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sis doesn't really go anywhere

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He loses health during the coking up rather than gaining it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The game can be quite short for an RPG, ~12 hours or so? Its replay value is huge, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

One of the last few times this game was on sale, I gifted it to a friend of mine. He was touched, and decided to gift me another game right back.

That game was Dragon Age 2.

It's the thought that counts

• Locked thread