Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

the_american_dream posted:

Just chiming in that I bought this on the cheap a few weeks ago and really loved this game and hope they somehow go about making a sequal. Much much better than expected and I wouldve been happy at full price. Just seemed kind of on the short side, but that mightve been me just playing the hell out of it every day after work

It absolutely is a short game, but that's because you're supposed to replay it like ten times and keep finding new stuff every time you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

I already own the 360 version of this, are there any major differences between it and the PC version besides the PC version having issues with the hacking minigame?

PC version has access to higher-res textures than consoles. Generally speaking, PC version with a 360 controller is considered "the best" way to play. You're not really missing out or gaining anything besides prettier graphics either way, though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Happydogska posted:

Ok, I'm downloading this now through Steam. Playing through as a recruit my first time sounds enticing, but how boned will I be on skill points? Tiny inner ear boned, arm boned, or entire skeletal structure boned? Is recruit a viable way to play the first time through (I get that it's a class rather than a game difficulty, and thanks to those that have explained this), or is it more geared toward a new game + experience, where the player laughs at the more naive main character and uses the lack of skill points as a way to make a repeat playthrough more challenging?

Edit: to clarify, since I know nothing about AP aside from the OP, I like the idea of playing a guy who knows as little about the setting as I do about the game mechanics. Let me know if I'd just be screwing myself over to the point of frustration.

Just don't play on hard and you'll be fine, really. If you're that worried about difficulty vs. roleplaying, feel free to knock it down to easy, have fun saving the world, and then bump it up to play a more asskicking, loose cannon Thorton.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

My favorite part about Alpha Protocol was that the suave option almost always resulted in an incredibly cheesy and lame line which made everyone hate you.

I loved this, too.

"I will be the suavest secret agent, and everybody will think I'm super awesome and all the girls will want to get with me!"

*Picks all suave options, everybody thinks I'm a sexist idiot, girls are disgusted with me, nobody likes me*

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

Out of curiousity, with all this talk about turning Parker, I'm left wondering, is there a route through the game that would let me kill the cranky old bugger?

You mean aside from the default method of walking into the safe room and putting a bullet in his face? Not that I know of, although you can certainly get other people to do it for you.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Polaron posted:

That's not going to happen. Get used to that now.

You see that quote of mine in the second post of this thread? The one where I said I'd played through the game ten times and was still discovering new stuff? That's not a joke. You're going to miss a TON of stuff. People you trust will turn out to be lying to you, people you killed will turn out to be potential allies, things you did for the greater good turn out to make things worse in the long run, and you just plain won't know it until you play through the game again.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Soonmot posted:

If you're using pistols or AR, wait for the targeting reticule to shrink and turn red. Go for short bursts with the SMGs and hit bullet storm right before your clip empties. With shotguns, go hog wild!

Yeah, the thing about pistols is they're not accurate at all unless you've got the crit reticule going. Think of it as Mike needing to take a second to line up a shot; that yellow dot means nothing.

If the shot ain't crit, your aim is poo poo.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I just realized I never fought Championchik at all, which I just knew I would have to after seeing him in Surkov's office that one cutscene.

I wonder why

You never went after Surkov. Perhaps you were a little too hasty in taking out Brayko?

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 8, 2011

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, okay, he's a sociopath who literally whored out his own family and has probably gutted more people than Jack the Ripper.

But he has a DISCO BALL. IN HIS HOUSE.

A DISCO BALL.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Mistikman posted:

The "This loving Game" moments all happen in subsequent playthroughs. On your first playthrough, all the dialog feels natural and organic, but for all you know, it's the same exact dialog no matter what you do. On later playthroughs you realize how much variation there actually is in what you hear and what you can experience.

Exactly. Even if it's not huge stuff, you'll notice little variations that stand out. Even that little plane ride after Saudi with Scarlet can have some big changes depending on how you act around her. Nothing huge, but even the difference between her cracking a joke on one playthrough and being all business in the next one on the same line is proof of how much time and effort went into the conversations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Holy Calamity! posted:

You're playing it wrong. AP's gameplay is all about clearing entire rooms in 5 seconds or less.

"Hold on while I shoot six people in the head in less than a second, then turn invisible and stab the survivors in the throat."

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Zorak posted:

Just finished this game. Man, I don't really get why this was rated so badly.

The combat is simplistic and a bit broken, but honestly it doesn't differ too much from Mass Effect in that regard. The final boss was extremely with how I approached him I managed to put Leland down in literally five seconds with highest level Chain Shot Critically into Head + Brilliance + AGAIN, but that's more using the abilities in a non-retarded way.

Combat did get a bit buggy on occasion, and NPCs were fairly stupid at times with their RUN AT YA, but what shines otherwise is really great. It sucks that this game will never get a sequel just because they didn't take the time to polish out the bugs and niggles that apparently ruined the reviews.

Wish it were a longer game, though. It was rather... short, and the different plot "arcs" don't exactly ramp up into anything really huge. There's a skimpy-ness to its escalation that isn't fantastic, but the ride that's there is pretty drat good.

It IS a longer game. Much longer. It's just meant to be enjoyed over multiple playthroughs, like Way of the Samurai for the PS2, if you remember that game. Honestly, the real joy of this game is playing it through a second time and seeing just how wildly different everything goes; like I said in the last thread, beating Alpha Protocol doesn't mean you've finished Alpha Protocol.

One Sick Puppy posted:

The next game needs to star Steven Heck

Oddly enough, out of all of the myriad ways AP can play out, one of the few constants is that Steven Heck, Grigori, and Hong Shi are the only characters in the entire game who cannot be killed. Therefore this means that it's entirely possible to make a Steven Heck spinoff game, with Grigori as his unwilling partner in crime.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 9, 2011

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

Taiwan: Let Sung die to prevent riots, and got the secret dossier bit about Deng. On to Moscow!

I better get to punch Leland's stupid :smug: face in at the end of the game :mad:

You think Mike's gonna settle for just punching a guy in the face? If you want Leland to get some comeuppance, it's safe to say there are plenty of options for you to enjoy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

If you have high martial arts it becomes a fullblown headslam. Obsidian. :allears:

Likewise, if you have high tech skills, Mike does all the hacking and decrypting work you do at the safehouses by himself. I think your martial arts skill even affects how you take out Shaheed's bodyguard on the bridge in Saudi.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

As long as it's not predicated on my pissing him off. The best I've been able to do is keep him at neutral. I just keep picking the wrong options :( Dissing Omen was good for a -1 though :smug:

Basically, you can't get Leland to hate you. You'll understand why when you get to the end and see what he's been up to. Leland's only concerned with the bottom line, and even though it's loving up his business, he's still impressed by Mike.

Besides, it's not like Mike could possibly be intentionally playing to that in order to get Leland to let his guard down, right? I mean, surely a guy that Leland likes wouldn't, say, bash his head into the table the second Leland gets too close, right? Generally speaking, getting somebody to like you in no way closes you off from completely dicking them over; in fact, it's usually the best way to get them to drop their guard.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Why does being a veteran change the hallucination you have when speaking to Mina on the PDA?

Also it just occurred to me that as a veteran I can remove those default ranks in the other weapon styles and max out pistols, stealth and everything else it lets me do at that point. Now that's the kind of ridiculously overpowered veteran I wanna play as.

Because it's a goofy easter egg, and because it happens when you're a Veteran, it's the designers' way of making sure you only see it after you've already completed at least one playthrough. Long story short, it's a simple way of making sure you don't accidentally stumble across it without having played AP at least once, and thus are able to get the joke. Otherwise you'd have a lot of first time players being very suspicious of the gelato shop guy when they met him

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Do not play the game on hard as a recruit.

Don't do this.

If you're gonna play hard, play it on Veteran. And even then, only play hard if you want to get the achievement, and then never touch it again.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Category Fun! posted:

I'm playing on Hard Recruit with Shotguns/Assault Rifles and no stealth or hacking :unsmigghh:

Oh, okay. Just wanted to make Excelsior aware that there will be no fun if they go for a subtle playthrough. Everybody will spot you, and all the minigames will be literally impossible. It would be much better to play a shotgun recruit who's paranoid and on the run or something; things will not go well if you try to play professionally on hard.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Jamsque posted:

Got this in the Steam sale expecting it to be average and it blew me away. Went full stealth (field agent, spy) and mostly suave first playthrough, trying to decide what do to next. Obvious choice for origin is Recruit, and I'll probably go for SMGs or shotguns or something. Beyond that I'm not really sure how to approach a second playthrough, I can't remember half of the dialogue options I chose. Should I just pick one response and stick with it for 90% of the game or what? My gamer instincts were to try and maximise my reputation with every character at every opportunity, is it actually interesting (plot-wise) to piss people off?

Also I noticed that this game includes 'gently caress off' as a dialogue option twice. Just genius.

Just think of a character type and roleplay that. How would a recruit Thorton handle situations? Maybe he's a bit more green and lacking in experience, so he tends to pick aggressive over professional to compensate. AP is actually great fun to roleplay in.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

You guys having Albatross problems at the end, did you do the mission before you leave for the final mission where you have a chat about your plans on the TV? There's a bunch of optional missions that all affect that sort of stuff, and one of them is calling up Albatross to chat about making plans.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Who can't you kill or allow to be killed in this game?

Fairly certain that you can't kill Grigori, Hong Shi, or Heck and that you have to choose between SIE or Albatross. Anyone else?

Nope, that's it; aside from what's written here, anyone in the game can be made dead by the end of the game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lotish posted:

Helipad? Fight? What? I didn't get either in that stage.

You don't have to be friendly to Surkov in that mission.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

Did I miss something, I know Surkov lied, but as far as I understood he didn't really lie about anything of importance ie: Halbech or something important to Mike's mission in Moscow, just Brayko and his operation. That's pretty forgivable in my opinion

That's why this game is so good, there are so many ways to see it.

Surkov lied, but for the greater good and should be allied with.

Surkov betrayed his protege and closest ally for profit, and cannot be trusted.

Surkov is simply a weak man given to temptation and isn't worth Mike's time.

Surkov is selling out his friends and allying with an evil for the sake of his country, and is a threat to the world.

Surkov is a rather friendly guy you rescue at the embassy who points you to Brayko and is never heard from again.

Surkov has way too many kneecaps and shouldn't be pointing that goddamn gun at you.

All of these are true. Depending on how you see it, anyway. There's not a right or wrong choice.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Moscow: Do you have to spare Brayko to get the Surkov missions where you fight Championchik or can you still execute him

You need to at least keep him talking long enough to talk to him about Surkov. You'll get another execute prompt when you guys are finished talking; incidentally, if you're ever going for the Judge, Jury, and Executioner trophy, you HAVE to do this. Not killing either Brayko or Surkov (even if you don't get the mission to go after them) will result in you not getting the trophy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ephori posted:

Just wanted to let the thread know that I picked this up during the sale as a result of reading posts about it on here, played through and finished it last night and it was incredible. I'm sorry I missed it when it first came out, and from the sounds of it there won't be another? Tragic.

Thanks guys, for putting me on to a game I never would have given a chance otherwise. For anybody reading who's on the fence, the game has flaws-- but it's so, so worth it.

Incorrect. Now get back in there and give Thorton a shotgun and a pissy attitude!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Can you do that if you didn't get it put on high alert? If not I'm hosed. :(

You totally can. Just be cool about it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

I cannot imagine anyone else as Marburg other than Jim Cummings. The man was perfect for that role.

What's even better is you could say the same thing about Winnie the Pooh.

The guy's good at VA.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

worlds gayest baby posted:

So wait, do you have to use Mina as your handler for most of the game or was there some way to change them that I missed? Whenever I got a dialogue option or whatever, I'd go with someone who wasn't Mina, but can you just ditch her from the get go?

I've just finished my first run with Mina's approval at -10. I don't know why she gets so angry about me killing people who opened fire on me first!

They were planning on letting you have either Mina, Darcy, or Westridge as your handler for the entire game, but they had to cut it seeing as it would require a LOT of work to do.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

worlds gayest baby posted:

Like gently caress if I'm going to reload the last checkpoint just because some trigger happy cop decides to instantly start shooting at me. Rushing him would be suicide, and besides, such a reckless and irresponsible officer is a danger to the community anyway!

Don't blame me for taking a trigger happy psycho out of the good city of Taipei before he blasts some kids for stealing candy.

Sorry you're not used to your actions having consequences, dude.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Vizrt posted:

Just got done with the Taipei warehouse. The conversation and your reply with Albatross and the Sis dialogue option (if you killed her) was fantastic."Where's Sis? Ohhhhh, that's right. I killed her.". Fit so well with the gently caress everyone, kill them all with a shotgun Veteran run through I'm doing.

There's even a variant of that for if you figured out the whole locket thing and had that conversation in Moscow. Mike gets up in Albatross' face about risking the life of a teenage girl instead of doing things himself.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I really want to get into this game, I know it's good but every time I start it I stop playing half way through the second mission. I really wish I didn't get the ps3 version too.

Have you considered changing your tactics? Like, if the whole sneaky pistol thing isn't working for you, make an rear end in a top hat freelancer Thorton who solves all problems with shotgun.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Lotish posted:

I feel that the game could have been better if you weren't pushed to specialize as hard or as far as you are. With recruit, for example, you can really only approach maxing three skills and the rest will be pretty lackluster or outright terrible. Maybe if the skill trees didn't go quite so high so you could spread things out (this would also help the problem of some of the ranks feeling like placeholders--oh boy I regen endurance a whole second faster!)

By the way, I'm not really clear on just what the numbers on guns really mean. Damage is obvious but "high stopping power" and "below average stopping power" in a weapon is usually a difference of 2 points out of 30. What exactly do recoil and stability mean in the game world?

edit: And has anyone else noticed that, for all their vaunted rivalry, Mike always keeps Darcy's picture next to his bed?

I believe recoil determines how much your reticule widens when you fires your gun, while stability is how much it widens when it moves.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hank Morgan posted:

To be exact you need to get the suave perk in the Greybox.

I keep hearing this, but I really doubt it's true. Obsidian doesn't seem like the type to make a bunch of stuff dependant on a choice you make at the very beginning of the game. I think it's more about what dialogue choices you pick over the course of the game, rather than the very first couple ones.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hank Morgan posted:

I'm basing it off what other people have theorised in this and the last thread. Anytime I got it to happen I also had the suave perk including a gimmicky run-through where I just cycled the dialogue choices in a circle and tossed a coin on the binary choices.
It is possible of course that there is a hidden personality variable that factors into this though.

It's not really hidden, people will bring it up pretty often. Picking more professional options will result in people calling Mike a patriot, suave will get him called a cowboy, aggressive a loose cannon. The game definitely takes stock of which stances you use over the course of the game, and you build a reputation based on that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Speedball posted:

Crap, I think I screwed up my "Judge, Jury, Executioner" run. Shot Brakyo, didn't get the opportunity to hunt down and shoot Surkov too; think I skipped past the part where Brakyo lets you know Surkov set you up. Oh well. I'm still enjoying the hell out of this game.

Yeah, you kinda blew it there. I did the same thing. Feel free to vary up your next rear end in a top hat run. I recommend doing it the first time as a cocky shotgun rear end in a top hat, and then after that, a professional stealth pistol smoothtalking psycho killer.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Will I find recruit hard as my second play through?

I did my first as normal difficulty and a field agent and there were really only two or three parts that I found hard.

Not in the slighest, especially if you've already had a playthrough to get used to the mechanics. Just don't play it on Hard mode, and you'll be fine.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, hard is pretty much strictly achievement-only. Not only are the minigames impossible, but unless you invest heavily in your pistols and parts for them, you're going to find yourself pulling undetected critical headshots that don't kill people. In other words, you're up against enemies who can straight up survive a bullet to the head and immediately alert their friends.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

doctor iono posted:

One more question for Judge, Jury, and Executioner: does choosing to (Taipei spoiler)prevent Sung's assassination count against it? One of the achievement write-ups I've found says you should prevent the riots instead. That doesn't make much sense to me, though, considering you're not really executing him either way.

I don't think it technically does count against it, no, so you should be fine, but for safety's sake, I'd consider it anyway, just in case.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Suave options change considerably if you've got negative rep with Mina, I know that much. She gives any flirting attempts the cold shoulder, but when Mike jokes around she's either surprised or trying hard not to be amused.

Scarlet's also got considerable variety in responses. There's two or three different conversation trees in the airplane encounter alone, depending on which responses you pick first.

I remember being really impressed by Scarlet's airplane talk after my first couple times through; she can be anything from playfully joking around with Mike, to pure business wheeling and dealing, to immediately regretting sitting down next to that rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Oh man Heck blows.

I have a feeling that after your next playthrough, you're going to look at this post and laaaaaaugh.

• Locked thread