Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Just got this and Bully for less than $10. Steam sales and Goon opinion reign supreme once again.

It's too hard of deal to pass especially since the PC gets raped near the end of the game by a east german woman(who's hopefully not really a man)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zorak posted:

Jesus Christ where did the last six hours go.

This game really is underrated. I find the combat enjoyable enough, though I wonder how the hell someone would ever manage to pure stealth this thing. Stealth seems more useful for setting up shots than anything.

Yeah all the boss fights means you need some solid combat skilss, regular stealth skills are really amazing though for going to town on regular bad guys.

Especially when you get Brilliance ability and can spam the cloak ability back to back. Plus it resets all the emergency stealth skills.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RentACop posted:

Something about the stealth knife stab animation skeeves me out, a few of those and I stuck with non-lethal the rest of the time

Or the non-lethal ball stomp animation

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Sometimes you have to make a silent takedown.

Next Deus Ex game still has a edge since the hookers try to unsuccessfully use kung fu on the PC.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Can you actually Melee any of the bosses to death in this game? Like, ANY of them?

But it takes a long time since they can block and also have a knock-down insta-recover special move.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nitevision posted:

Enjoying this game a lot so far (just finished Saudi Arabia) but holy poo poo why would they let someone be a secret agent if he can't loving shoot. At all. God I would bleed for some MGS-style ironsights. Running around CQCing people is so much faster and less frustrating than trying to shoot them

The first part is sort of miserable due to the lovely gear and also barebones skills/active abilities.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KnightLight posted:

Shotguns are awesome for the knockdown/stomp combo or OH GOD FIRE BULLETS, or SMG if you want to run around like a maniac and not worry about setting up criticals. For a secondary I recommend carrying an assault rifle around because even totally untrained you can use one to pick off a distant enemy if he's too annoying to close with.

Even though it's nice starting out, assault rifles end up being sort of weak since they have the least useful special ability.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

You play The Witcher 2 yet?

Yeah it's a similar more interactive combat RPG similar to Alpha Protocol than just click on targets and letting the background math go along.

Lots of good stuff like bombs, blocking and special spells called Signs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In Training posted:

I've never actually read any of the Alpha Protocol reviews before, but I finally went on Metacritic and checked some out.

My god, they reviewed this game aggressively. People really aren't joking. People got extremely upset over the weirdest little things with the mechanics and just blew its shortcomings wayyyy out of proportion. I also never understood the "so many bugs" mantra. I've played through the game 5 times and experienced less bugs than probably four or five hours in Dragon Age or Mass Effect (barring the weird embassy bug which is just one line of unspoken text anyway).

I guess this is kinda beating a dead horse but drat this game deserved so much more.

Alpha Protocol is pretty flawed especially for production values/annoying technical issues but still much more interesting than Bioware's RPG-lite action games especially the recent lazy Dragon Age 2 game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

I told my brother I'd give this to him after I was done, but I just can't give it up yet. He'll have to buy his own copy. In my next game as a Veteran, I'm going to use my fists as much as possible. I love charging into a room and punching everybody out SO MUCH.

And Flying Knee kick never gets old, sort of sad it didn't have even more melee super moves.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Yes, he would have. I can confirm this. Hell, even if agree but still kill Shaheed it'll happen. It's how you get the Judge/Jury achievement.

Yeah it all depends if you leave him alive in the first hub.

Near the end of the game you have the option either keep him as a ally or decide to kill him off since he's on of Al-Samad's more effective leaders. Leaving him alive means Al-Samad's terrorism sprees get more dangerous in the middle east.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose posted:

Which mission in Moscow so Sie turn up in? Or does it not matter what order I do them?

she always shows up in trainyard mission.

Sort of helps to do Rome first since she gets really excited when you tell her about killing off Marburg since they have a bad rivalry.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

You'll lose rep with Sie due to that, I believe, but being RAWR DOM more than compensates for it.

probably the better path since the only reward for getting Sie to like you is getting badly raped at the end.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

I better get to punch Leland's stupid :smug: face in at the end of the game :mad:

You really get to go to town on him later on in the game even though it means missing out on some more his villain tell-all since he can't talk too well when you are beating the living daylights out of him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nemisi posted:

The best part is that Westridge was (possibly) watching. "I bet it smells like tuna and cat piss in there.".

Also Mike goes out of way to completely destroy the digital recording to cover-up the whole thing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jblade posted:

Just finished it now. it was simply incredible, and I really really hope Obsidian find another publisher or whatever that'll greenlight another AP game. Not neccesarily a sequal, but another game like it that has the same depth and love put into it.

Also shows why RPGs should have more interesting settings instead of the standards wizards and orcs poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vizrt posted:

This is what I'm doing on my first run. So god damned satisfying to throat punch 4-5 dudes in a row, then blow brilliance and do it again on the next room of guys. I can imagine it gets even better when I can sprint to each one with max stealth.

Or when bad guys bravely charge though a door only to get rewarding with a agonizing throat punch

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lotish posted:

Hey, can anyone tell me how I get in contact with "The Turk" weapon supplier? He doesn't appear to be remotely important except for getting some guns, and how you get him goes unmentioned in both the wiki and the FAQs that I checked. I'm past the point where I can get the unique shotgun, and the UC Kodiak, while damaging, is a bitch to hit poo poo with and I end up wasting ammo like crazy. I really want the 3 star Rittergruppen.

I think he shows up once you do the Ruins mission in Rome.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nitevision posted:

I think one of my favorite aspects of the writing of this game is the occasional dorkiness of the "suave" responses. At first I would experimentally pick them and then :doh: at whatever Mike said, thinking the writer had just been bad at crafting "smooth" lines like in every other RPG ever, but then I started noticing that the other characters listening would cringe as well. It's like the writers went postmodern in lampooning how awkward most RPG writing is.

Sauve tends to be more Sterling Archer than Bond especially the NPC reaction to the more horrible smooth lines.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

The Albatross dynamic is really well done. I'm going out of my way to piss him off, and it's all really believable.

Smug shitbird Thorton is the best especially when he crows about killing Sis.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kaizer88 posted:

This loving game

Just had recruit playthrough, and in the last mission I chose to ally with Halbech. Its so amazing how the game makes you feel there are no wrong choices, as looking back Yancy Westridge is an even bigger oval office than Leland. Leland just has a kickin rad pompadour like his idol Elvis, while Westridge is some hypocritical fuckwit who has no compunctions throwing family-less duty driven rookies to the wolves in the name of national security. In my veteran playthrough, I reckon I'll ally with Halbech and take out both Leland AND Westridge.

If course going the seriously join Halbech route is sort of hard since it takes lots of self-control to avoid trolling Leland or using him as a good punching bag.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheTatteredKing posted:

I got 15+ rep with him both playthroughs. I really enjoy manipulating him. Though on my FISTS OF PATRIOTISM run he can piss off

The best troll is playing along with him then suddenly turning on him at the very end thanks to some remote mine goodness.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The mansion level was pretty awesome but it had too many naked man statues.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

piratepilates posted:

If you're having trouble with any boss fight and you have a bunch of pistols experience then chain shot is always just the strategy.

Especially if you have Brilliance and also a good AP ammo supply.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

I never got the chance to punch Leland during the interrogation room conversations. In the end he just signaled the guards to come and take me to the medical room. I did tell him he had something on his tie though.

:(

I think it's tied to getting half-way Ok rep with Leland by giving away the true story during the interrogation, puts him off guard so you can beat him up later.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jamsque posted:

My gamer instincts were to try and maximise my reputation with every character at every opportunity, is it actually interesting (plot-wise) to piss people off?

Also I noticed that this game includes 'gently caress off' as a dialogue option twice. Just genius.

Yes Jack Bauer aggressive spy is pretty hilarious especially getting everyone to hate your guts especially when you smash battles over their head or just execute them outright after hearing their pathetic attempts at bribery.

Wildtortilla posted:

Just finished my first play through. GAME loving OWNS.

Bioware should take note of how to do romance. Or should I say bromance. Stephen Heck and Michael just boated off into the sunset talking about how much poo poo they just hosed up!

Now I just have to find time to start a second play through...

Especially all the extra intel buy options you get from Steve Heck Everything from poisoning Brakyo's coke supply at the Moscow hub so he takes damage during the boss fight when he does his coke snort or having him do a driveby in the Taipei Metro level with a mini-guy to clear the entire platform

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 11, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In Training posted:

Always get awareness, it's worth it in every run you can do. I always pick it up as soon as I can.

Yeah it's a really handy wall-hack that's very handy even for combat focused characters to avoid surprises.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vizrt posted:

Just started my second playthrough as recruit. I never noticed one of the photos in the Moscow safehouse on my first playthrough. Got a good laugh out of me when I noticed it this time. Doesn't seem like a spoiler but more of a minor easter egg. Was thinking of using it for an avatar. Need to figure out some good accompanying text though.

The Photo

Using SMGs this time around and not giving a gently caress about alarms. Quite fun so far. Just finished Saudi Arabia. Can't wait to see how everything changes the second time around.

Make sure you spare Brayko in the Moscow hub for the best safehouse upgrades.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mistikman posted:

The "plot" doesn't actually change much regardless of what you do. The dialog and other communication (emails, etc) varies a ton though based on your actions. It's the same exact missions through the game (though as you noticed a few are missable) with some minor variations to said missions based on your choices.

It is a testament to how well they made the dialog that it really makes you feel like there are really branching story lines.

Yup it's still fun a few times through due to the differences in character builds and also which spy archetype you decide to stick with throughout the game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

404notfound posted:

How does the lockpicking minigame work with mouse and keyboard? On the 360, you press down on the analog left trigger and then press the right trigger to set the pin. Pressing a keyboard button and dragging the mouse don't seem like reasonable analogues for that sort of action.

Lockpicking is also the worst loving minigame, half because of the brutally unforgiving precision required and half because failing it usually means an alarm goes off.

It's extremely simple on the PC with the mouse which sort of makes up for the hacking game being pretty miserable.

You just have to drag the mouse up or down to correctly align the pins, then hit LMB.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 21, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BSAKat posted:

There's no such thing as wasting money on intel.

Or just use the Cheatengine program to do your own hacking mini-game and get a bit better money supply for spending sprees.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

seorin posted:

It's still faster to just waltz into the middle of the room with maxed toughness and shoot them in the head. Boss fights are easier, too. Some of them can be really painful with a stealth heavy build, especially ones that pit you against multiple waves of opponents, like the ruins in Rome or the Embassy in Moscow.

I find the more direct combat builds to be pretty boring since it turns the game into a bland shooter and it really doesn't have enough unique gear/bad guys to make a fun shoote em' up game.

Much more fun to try ghosting through all the levels without getting detected plus wrecking people with all the traps.

Also mixing silent running with the fly jump kick move is pretty hilarious.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PFlats posted:

Jeez. I've been playing through as Shotgun rear end in a top hat Recruit Thorton, best friends with SIE and Stephen, bane of everyone else. Naturally, SIE was my handler for Marburg's mission, and Thorton doesn't appreciate art all that much.

SIE comments when you shoot up Marburg's piano. :psyduck:

Sie is the best handler especially for the mansion level despite giving you too much attention at the end of the game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

seorin posted:

vvv I ended up getting it on my first time through the game. Amusingly, I actually got it at the end of the ruins in Rome, but boy was that end fight a bitch!

Sort of helps if you are gadget expert and have piles of traps to play with.

The comm dish has lots of chokepoints around it meaning a few shock traps or other goodies can really help you make the fight much more manegable. Especially since it allows you to focus on guarding one chokepoint while your traps protect the other routes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah I think AP has some great voice acting, it's not often I find myself laughing at game dialogue like I do with this game.

Especially all the groan worthy Suave lines

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Propaganda Panda posted:

Mass effect: press the any key for exposition

Pick Red/Blue to automatically win any conversation in the game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SmokinDan posted:

I forgot I had an armour mod which made all the minigames easier, too (although I'm not sure how it actually worked.)

People sort of forget about the armor mods but some of them are extremely useful such as the cooldown reducers or the camouflage mods which improve your in cover guard vision evasion even more.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

Mike Thornton: Too good at killing? No such thing! :black101:

Mike Thorton has a Indiana Jones-like attitude for precious historical sites.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Popular Human posted:

ninja edit: I hadn't seen it mentioned, so somebody wanna spoil me on who Wen Shu or however their name was spelled is? The credits imply he was an American sleeper agent, was it Heck?

He's the laundromat guy, he basically becomes the scapegoat for the assassination if Heck likes you since heck sends in a tip and also puts lots of evidence at his home to frame him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh yeah, good call. I don't wear armor at all when I play so I didn't think about it.

Or just wear the stealth armor it gives you a small endurance bonus plus all the armor upgrades really help like the cooldown reducers or sight range reducers.

• Locked thread