Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Count me in as someone who hated Dragon Age 2 and loved Alpha Protocol.

I'll give aspiring agents one bit of advice: choose a weapon skill and put a good amount of points into it regardless of what kind of character you make.
I initially tried to go through the game as a full stealth agent which actually worked really well... right up until I reached one of the several boss battles.

Suffice it to say, they are not designed for a stealth focused character, you will need to get a weapon to a pretty fair amount of proficiency to be able to proceed.
Baring that in mind, this is a really great game and definitely deserves a play, especially while on sale for so cheap.

e: Just noticed this touched upon in the OP, but still, it should be stressed above all else or else you can literally make it impossible to progress through certain missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

croutonZA posted:

Is this the only RPG in a modern day setting?

I think Deus Ex ( a game Alpha Protocol clearly takes some notes from) would classify, even if it is set in the "not-to-distant" future.
Also, Earthbound :razz:

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

gently caress all this Steven Heck love, Omen Deng Crew 4eva.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

I think one of my favorite things about this game (aside from the obvious) is the Recruit and Veteran "class" choices at the beginning of the game.

You have to play through recruit first, which gives you no initial points in any skills and offers up unique dialogue choices throughout the game, I.E. "Gee whiz, they never taught us that in the Academy!", but when you complete a Recruit run-through, you get to play as a Veteran that has three points in every skill (which is pretty drat handy, mind you) and gives you dialogue options like, "this ain't my first time to the rodeo so don't try to bullshit me, pardner."

It's a game that is best when replayed and they give you a pretty awesome way to do it.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Kill Whitey posted:

The timed responses in conversations and ambiguous choices actually managed to make me REGRET some of the decisions I made, which was refreshing since I'm so used to being coddled by color coded ego trips.

This is actually a really good point. This isn't like your typical Bioware or Obsidian game where your dialogue options are sitting there waiting for you to peruse them and consider which is the best for the situation. You have keyed responses (Aggressive, Diplomatic, Suave, etc.) and you have a time limit to choose. A rather narrow one at that.
There is a legitimate urgency to some exchanges and sometimes you have to choose the best at the moment in the time you're given. Is it the right one or the one you have to choose? Who knows. It adds real drama to the development and it's one of the reasons why the choices you make in this game have real weight.

• Locked thread