Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

INTJ Mastermind posted:

A friend of mine is on a local softball team and I was planning on shooting one of their games this Friday. It's scheduled for 6 pm, which is like 1-2 hours before sunset.

I have a Canon Rebel T2i and I'm going to be bringing my 70-200 F4L, and Tamron 17-50 in case they want some group shots. I was also going to bring a monopod and my 580 EX II speedlite. Does that sound like a good equipment set for this game? Yes I know the F2.8 IS II is the best but I'm poor...

Anyway, any advice for shooting softball? And do you think the flash is a good idea for freezing motion / when it gets darker?

I play in a few softball leagues/tournaments and I've been bringing my camera out lately with me. If you can get on the field even better. I'll usually sit myself along one of the baselines near the fence out of the way.

Using my 50d and sigma 70-200f/2.8

Here's a couple games I've shot

https://picasaweb.google.com/113696789439738816936/SoftballGame52611

https://picasaweb.google.com/113696789439738816936/SoftballGame52411

Softball can be pretty easy to predict where the ball is gonna go for action shots. Lefties focus on the right side of the field, 2nd basemen/RF/RCF and righties on the SS and LCF/LF. I like batting action shots but once you have a few of each player they can get kinda boring unless you're trying to get ball on bat pics.

See if you can get behind the catch too, I've gotten some cool pics from that spot a few times as well.

Post the pics on facebook too if you're friends with any of the players or if you're league has a page. It amazed me all the compliments I got on the pics from everyone who saw them. Now if I don't bring my camera out everyone is asking me where it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

Gannet acquires US Presswire, and some details emerge.

That's led to an interesting post in a SS thread which I have a feeling will get ugly and/or hilarious over the next couple days.

Ahh good old SS. I got lit the gently caress up on there like 5 years ago when I worked for a newspaper in IT and was friends with the photo department. They would hook me up with photo credentials for some AMA bike races at the speedway here in Daytona(or any other race I wanted to goto) and was asking some general questions about shooting and all of a sudden I'm taking money out of people's mouths because I have a photo credential when I "shouldn't" have one and me being there was taking the spot of someone who could have been making money being there. There's some real hateful people on that board if photography is just a hobby to you and you happen to know the right people.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dakana posted:

Haha, noticed this today. On the right is a photo on Sports Illustrated's website. On the left is mine.

Looks like his shot is about a second or two before your shot. Did you freak at first thinking it was yours?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

Was there any hassle bringing a DSLR into Nationals Park? I'm in DC pretty regularly and always think it would be fun to bring a camera, but I usually Metro in and don't want to be denied at security.

Most stadiums list their camera policy on their webpage somewhere. The Rays stadium in Tampa I had no problem taking my 50D with grip and my 70-200 f2.8 lens.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

LuisX posted:

A few shots from last weekend's races, Mud Mingle (Orlando) and Color run (Clearwater):

More at my IG account @luisx_com

Small world my fiancé did the mud run. I'll hafta check your account to see if you got her.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

LuisX posted:

Oh cool! If she saw a guy in black carrying around a huge lightstand, that was me :v:

Ya she said she did. She had a gopro strapped to her head lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Something is weird in your link, so here's a working one

http://deadspin.com/julian-edelman-caught-that-somehow-1792036426