Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Golfer1 Holing Out by torgeaux, on Flickr

Golfer19 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Golfer5 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Golfer9 Holing Out by torgeaux, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

KidDynamite posted:

Took some shots at a Golden Gloves show my friend was fighting at last weekend. I feel like I probably should have positioned myself better(I was on a chair like 10ft back from the nearest ringpost). Let me know what else I can fix.

IMG_1179 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1163 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1135 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1127 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1124 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

The other technical advice you got, I agree with. From a content perspective, you have no single shot where a punch is connecting. Take a look at boxing shots: either you show the confrontation (that is, not a punch in progress) or a punch connecting. You've got lots of shots of punches being thrown, but just before or after contact. It hurts the shots. If you can't time that out, go for some of the posturing that doesn't include the punching.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

KidDynamite posted:

Thanks for the great info DJExile that's some great critique and I take it all in the hopes of getting better. Right now the only thing I have faster is my nifty 50. Is there anything you would reccommend for shooting on the ring apron? I'm sure I can get there for the next show.

Torgeaux something I noticed is since I box I was reacting to the movements that come when someone is about to punch. I'll need to work on that maybe timing my button press a bit later.

Yeah, if you have some experience yourself, your photography timing will catch up.

but, don't give up on the non-punching shots. There's some great moments that don't involve a punch.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Shooting sports with a 14mm.

Marine Combat Fitness Test.

Grenade Throw

The Throw by torgeaux, on Flickr

Casualty Drag

The Drag12 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Low Crawl

Going First Sucks by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

n0n0 posted:

How far away from you is the guy in the crawl?

Actually, that one is a 200mm shot. I'm about 4 feet from the grenade thrower, and less from the drag photo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

Livin' on the edge. Gettin' like $4000 worth of body and lens amazingly close to dropping in a lake. Hell yeah :getin:

37 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

43 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

45 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

46 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

47 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

C'mon man, straighten those horizons.

Took the boy to his first ballgame. Strassburg pitching well, Nats win a game, and he loved every second.

First shot, he leans into frame when I'm shooting a quick shot of the field.

Trying to Take a Picture of the Field by torgeaux, on Flickr

First Pitch by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BobTheCow posted:

Was there any hassle bringing a DSLR into Nationals Park? I'm in DC pretty regularly and always think it would be fun to bring a camera, but I usually Metro in and don't want to be denied at security.

"No lenses in excess of 8 inches in length."

Eliminates my 70-200, my 100-400, leaves in my 24-105 and all my primes. I just took the 24-105. And regretted not having my 14mm. A lot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Steve McScene posted:

Buy 3 70-200 thermos flasks.
Take 3 friends.
Very carefully put the real lens at the bottom and fill the other 3 with enough liquid to match the weight.
When they have a look and check one or 2 you are away.
The perfect crime.

They'd have let me in anyway. Didn't lift the camera out of the bag, so all they could see was a lens cap. Didn't want to have to walk back to the car, though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Gutting it out by torgeaux, on Flickr

Second Woman by torgeaux, on Flickr

Sprinting to the Finish by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Keeneland Training3 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The Defensive Lineup by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bang3r posted:

So I got one of my wrestling photos published on WWE.com

Here's the original photo!

Collision Course by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Link to where it is on the site Here

Nice to see they murdered it with whatever compression they use but hey

If overcompression is all that happens, you're ahead of the game. Nice job.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Soulex posted:

Thanks! I actually got the job! So coming up next semester I’ll be doing that and was told I’ll even have an assistant.

This puts me at a cross roads because I definitely want to get a degree in visual arts as “proof of ability” but don’t know if that’s gonna happen. I have 1 year of normal school left and can double major (adding one more year of school) with a bachelor’s or go into a MFA program. That would let me be able to teach and learn more about photography as a semiotic process. I have ideas and messages I want to portray photographically but can’t. I have a school near me but that’s two years (3 total from now) and not a guaranteed. There is also my families imminent move to Europe at some point and I know I can go there for my masters but will take on debt doing so (in the states, it would be free).

It’s not just photography but videography and stuff I have experience and learned from the military. It would also be ideal so I could do internships as that position.

What would you all suggest? You’re professionals. Is a degree worth anything professionally?

Unless getting the degree actively handicaps your other career actions, get the degree. Why is a degree in Europe more money? Most of those schools are free.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Soulex posted:

Thanks, I should have explained it better.

The colleges I'm looking at abroad cost tuition. These are masters level colleges, and I think one is 1 year at 10k euro. 96% job placement after for the one I'm looking at in Bologna. I'd use free ones if I found one in line with what I'm looking at academically.

For America, I'd be using my GI Bill, so I'm making money while going to college basically. Problem is the limit of educational benefits would not expire if I double majored at my current institution but could (possibly) if I went for a masters. The program I'm looking at is really good, but also 2 years long. It would also mean transferring and applying next fall, when my family and I were planning on leaving (father in law has cancer, and it's not getting better). VA has a cap on educational benefits and me going to a graduate school would exceed that by months. I have not done the math, but maybe close to a year.

I can use the GI Bill abroad, but it's proven to be difficult. I emailed a potential VA-approved college abroad and asked to speak to someone listed as their VA representative. They were completely floored to discover that 1) a veteran wanted to go to college there and 2) they were listed as the certifying official despite never having had a veteran student before.

Thanks again. It's a lot to think about.

I figured the gi bill stuff (my son is going to use mine), but i was unaware of the cost of the masters programs overseas. Bologna charging tuition seems out of whack, but I'm not familiar with that area, true. My first wife got most of her masters free at the University of Stuttgart. Interesting they'll a, charge tuition, and b, accept GI bill. Sounds like it would be worth it to either do the footwork for the GI bill in Bologna or bite the bullet and finish your degree program here first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The 55-200 is a nice lens, but it's not a fast focusing lens and it doesn't have a focus limiter so it can hunt. Single point is more accurate, but easier to miss target and hit background/foreground and the hunting on that lens will kill you. My "bird" setting is AF-C, focus set to shutter, with the center 9 points selected.