Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loosenukes
Feb 14, 2005

you don't put your best missile in your crummiest hole

Khablam posted:

The undecideds in the 2016 election were the highest in modern history, and many other celebs and even ex-presidents didn't pick a side.
So, he's in company.

Lol "ex-presidents didn't pick a side"? You mean the two Republican ex presidents didn't support their party's candidate. It's topsy turvy world like Alan Alda being on the right side of clean energy when he's facing santos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Lowe got hosed and betrayed by the network and the show. It's a testament to how much he loves the character and the show itself that he does anything at all like the podcast. He was the big star that anchored it to get the pilot, it was supposed to be a show about Sam and became an ensemble. The cast all got raises and the network would not negotiate with him for even parity in salary. He went to Aaron directly and asked him to speak up for him, but Aaron had his own problems and just looked at him. Never lifted a finger to keep him.

Lowe got chewed up when he was younger with the sex tape with a minor being filmed the night before the Democratic National Convention, etc etc.

He's a good egg, and a sweet guy in real life, but you can't hang in a room with someone so genetically gifted for very long.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah to be fair to Lowe, at a certain point they weren't even including him on publicity photos. Like yeah he thought that Sam was going to be the lead role and I think he was fine being part of an ensemble until Sorkin had a lot less for him to do. I'm part the way through S3 again now and Sam is just sort of...I guess off to the side? For his part, he has also said that by the time they got to S4 that he thought the writing was on the wall for Sorkin (By this point he was regularly holding back production because he couldn't turn scripts in on time) and so thought the writing was on the wall for the show.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I can't believe the undecideds looked at Trump and still wanted to throw the dice on those odds. Jesus tap-dancing Christ on a cracker.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you get all your news from Facebook I can see how that could happen.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SyRauk posted:

I can't believe the undecideds looked at Trump and still wanted to throw the dice on those odds. Jesus tap-dancing Christ on a cracker.

The Apprentice TV show is honestly a huge reason. It was a giant propaganda piece about how Trump is the best businessman/leader/decider ever and it ran for years and years.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Equatorial Kundu was named in iZombie Season 3 Episode 1. :)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I always wonder if that's in itself a sad comment on the US foreign outlook.
'We'll just make up a fake African-sounding country and make it have genocide going on'.

Can you imagine if they made fake US state names for stories, or fake EU countries for the same?
I never got why they needed to make a fake country up. It's as bad as all the durkadurkastan poo poo 24 pulled.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Khablam posted:

I never got why they needed to make a fake country up.

Because if you use a real country and imply that bad poo poo is happening there, that country's ambassador gets all mad and yells at the network.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I've mentioned it before, but I hope the podcast covers Sorkin's cocaine use and how he was holding up production and whatnot (someone mentioned that here a couple posts ago, I don't remember hearing that part before). Not to shame him or whatever, I just think they should cover the facts of what happened. He's a great writer, and his drug use doesn't change that.

They probably won't though. Oh well. I found the second guy they talked to on the podcast (the press secretary dude) today incredibly boring. He's probably the first guest who I didn't at least get minor enjoyment from.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We are also starting to get to the point where the burnout begins and the episode quality begins to dip. Not that they aren't still good but definately less memorable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Khablam posted:

Can you imagine if they made fake US state names for stories, or fake EU countries for the same?
I never got why they needed to make a fake country up. It's as bad as all the durkadurkastan poo poo 24 pulled.

Well movies do this often, too. Just with less nefarious intentions. Like Princess Diaries taking place in Genovia, which just so happens to be the most diverse country in the world, both in races and, somehow, accents. (Chris Pine is related to John Rhys Davis, and from the same country? O...kay)

The reason is usually so they either don't offend the residents of a specific country, or don't have people saying, "But Luxembourg isn't anything like that!" It's lazy, but understandable.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 6, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That and a show meant for the US has the advantage that its average viewer doesn't actually know or care Kundu is made-up, but if you tried to pass off a fake US state, THOSE they had to memorize in school.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Because if you use a real country and imply that bad poo poo is happening there, that country's ambassador gets all mad and yells at the network.

And how does this not apply for all the non-african countries that "do bad poo poo" in the show? Or states, etc?

It just sits bad with me that a writer can just say "oh all THOSE countries are like that right?"

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Let's be clear. The pod cast isn't very good on it's own. They criticize distinctly period choices through a modern lens. When they get nitpicky which is every time they don't have a guest, and most times they do- it's inane and boring. The merits of the podcast exist in their ability to attract people that worked on it to recall anecdotes about the process of it's creation or relate real world perspectives to the show itself.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheBigBad posted:

Let's be clear. The pod cast isn't very good on it's own. They criticize distinctly period choices through a modern lens. When they get nitpicky which is every time they don't have a guest, and most times they do- it's inane and boring. The merits of the podcast exist in their ability to attract people that worked on it to recall anecdotes about the process of it's creation or relate real world perspectives to the show itself.

Disagree

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It always pissed me off that staffers though Micronesia wasn't a real country. I knew that in high school and I wasn't even a geography person.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TheBigBad posted:

Disagree completely. Them discussing the episode is why I listen, most of the guests are terrible and haven't even been on the show. Almost every "political" guest they've had has been boring and awful.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've only recently caught up on the podcast, but during their episodes for season 1, they kept referring to Bartlet as having lost the popular vote based on the line that "most people voted for someone else."

I thought it was a reference to Clinton only ever winning a plurality of the popular vote, not losing it outright.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

McNally posted:

I've only recently caught up on the podcast, but during their episodes for season 1, they kept referring to Bartlet as having lost the popular vote based on the line that "most people voted for someone else."

I thought it was a reference to Clinton only ever winning a plurality of the popular vote, not losing it outright.

I'm pretty sure they're wrong, unless Sorkin has confirmed that was what he meant. It's pretty clear Sorkin meant there was a spoiler in the election, not that fake America pulled a Bush v. Gore.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think the way Bartlet says it implies there was a Perot type figure. He says "A majority of the people voted for someone else." If it was a Bush v Gore situation, or (puke, Clinton vs Trump) situation, he would have said "a majority of people voted for my opponent," who, now that I think of it, was never actually mentioned? Do we know anything about his election to first term, beyond some of the New Hampshire primary flash backs with Josh?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
We do know that Hoynes somehow delivered him the south despite losing his home state by 20 points.:downs:

Though I just realized he might have meant the primaries.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I think he got whooped in the primaries in the beginning, even New Hampshire, but turned around and won New Hampshire in the general, and Hoynes delivered the south in the general.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

meatbag posted:

We do know that Hoynes somehow delivered him the south despite losing his home state by 20 points.:downs:

Though I just realized he might have meant the primaries.

He lost Texas in the primaries and the general, despite having Hoynes

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

algebra testes posted:

We are also starting to get to the point where the burnout begins and the episode quality begins to dip. Not that they aren't still good but definately less memorable.

I actually really like Season 3 so far. It's always the season I remember the least about (Which maybe says something), but I like that the walls are starting to close in. The early episodes are great for it: people gently caress up, and they don't know what to do for once.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

McNally posted:

Bartlett did win with a plurality -- "Most people voted for someone else" doesn't mean "...one specific other person", it means that the majority can say, 'I voted for someone else.' Yeah, the phrasing is a bit too clever for its own good, but that's Sorkin.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

WoG posted:

Bartlett did win with a plurality -- "Most people voted for someone else" doesn't mean "...one specific other person", it means that the majority can say, 'I voted for someone else.' Yeah, the phrasing is a bit too clever for its own good, but that's Sorkin.

I think it's more of a change in the political landscape than something ambiguously written. When it was written, the last time a president was elected while still losing the popular vote was Benjamin Harrison and it had only happened a few times in American history. "Most Americans voted for someone else" is clearly a reference to a plurality, just like Clinton! Twice! It happened seven times in the 20th century, so it's not like it was completely unknown and was, hell, still fresh on everyone's minds. Haven't they said that the beginning of the show was loosely based on Clinton's early couple years in office? Making Bartlett also a winner by plurality follows that nicely.

Then came the 2000 election and it became a thing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The line never stood out to me, because in the UK & Europe that's every election result ever.
I never know why US politicians don't discuss (most of) the rest of the world when someone says 49% isn't a mandate; the rest of the world gets poo poo done with 3+ primary parties and the winning party netting 38% or something.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Khablam posted:

The line never stood out to me, because in the UK & Europe that's every election result ever.
I never know why US politicians don't discuss (most of) the rest of the world when someone says 49% isn't a mandate; the rest of the world gets poo poo done with 3+ primary parties and the winning party netting 38% or something.

American exceptionalism.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I forget, but is it ever mentioned who Bartlett actually beats the first time around?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was some republican. Wasn't there also an episode where Bartlett actually met the previous President? e: yeah it was James Cromwell

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It was some republican. Wasn't there also an episode where Bartlett actually met the previous President? e: yeah it was James Cromwell

He was the last Democratic president before President Bartlet, not the previous president. If President Barlet was Clinton then President Newman was Carter

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think in universe, the elections got pushed forward two years; Gerald Ford was only president until 1975 and we ran another election early rather than him finishing up Nixon's second term; other than the two year bump, the order of presidents was the same up through Reagan. Newman (James Cromwell) got elected in 86 for one term, then it was Lassiter for eight years, then Bartlet.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Who's the last real president that ever gets mentioned in the show? Nixon? Watergate was alluded to during the MS storyline. I don't remember any reference to Ford/Carter or anything from their administrations but I wasn't alive then and I'm not American so I might have missed it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hoops posted:

Who's the last real president that ever gets mentioned in the show? Nixon? Watergate was alluded to during the MS storyline. I don't remember any reference to Ford/Carter or anything from their administrations but I wasn't alive then and I'm not American so I might have missed it.

I think they said Eisenhower was their real life cutoff. Ideally they wanted to not mention any post-Eisenhower President by name. However, they definitely bring up the Kennedy Space Center, apparently the writers would joke that it was named for George Kennedy. :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

WampaLord posted:

I think they said Eisenhower was their real life cutoff. Ideally they wanted to not mention any post-Eisenhower President by name. However, they definitely bring up the Kennedy Space Center, apparently the writers would joke that it was named for George Kennedy. :v:

Actually that was about the Kennedy Center in DC. Like the performing arts center. Because they actually film there once or twice. But yeah, still funny.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

WampaLord posted:

Disagree completely. Them discussing the episode is why I listen, most of the guests are terrible and haven't even been on the show. Almost every "political" guest they've had has been boring and awful.

The best guest they ever had was the costume and set designers, they need more people from behind the scenes like that. I almost always skip past the actor interviews because Hrishi starts with "how did you get the part?" every single time and it's never, ever interesting. I think I've brought this up in the thread before.

Also, guys, stop trying to drop sick :iceburn: s on random people on Twitter, nobody cares.

WoG posted:

Yeah, this is how I always interpreted that line and I was honestly surprised anyone else thought any differently. Before 2000, the split popular vote/electoral vote only happened, like, twice before, and one of those times was for Rutherford Hayes which was such an insane situation it barely counts. You'd think if that was the case they would have explicitly said that. :shrug:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ninjahedgehog posted:

The best guest they ever had was the costume and set designers, they need more people from behind the scenes like that. I almost always skip past the actor interviews because Hrishi starts with "how did you get the part?" every single time and it's never, ever interesting. I think I've brought this up in the thread before.

Also, guys, stop trying to drop sick :iceburn: s on random people on Twitter, nobody cares.

I'm the opposite - I love hearing about the audition process, even if it's often formulaic. IMO the best guests have been our boy Sorkin himself, and Agent Butterfield. I haven't even listened to Janel Moloney's one all the way through because she is annoying as gently caress

And the twitter thing, I dunno, iceburns are kind of the whole point of Twitter, at least it's a bit more real than fawning fanservice

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I love the actor interviews, and I love hearing how they got the part. Rob Lowe's story about signing the contract while in costuming the day before shooting was great. And Dule Hill talking about wearing the same thing to the second audition because, hell, it worked the first time. And Richard Schiff talking about how terrible he is at auditions, and how the room was already prepped for that. That stuff is great. Honestly I've liked most of the interviews from everyone they've talked to.

The only person I haven't loved in her interviews has been Emily Procter, mainly because she keeps hinting at stories but not telling them. (paraphrasing) "Do you have any stories about the audition?" "Oh my god, so many stories I could tell..." *proceeds to move on to something unrelated* But even she was better in her most recent appearance, talking about the ERA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I love the actor interviews, and I love hearing how they got the part. Rob Lowe's story about signing the contract while in costuming the day before shooting was great. And Dule Hill talking about wearing the same thing to the second audition because, hell, it worked the first time. And Richard Schiff talking about how terrible he is at auditions, and how the room was already prepped for that. That stuff is great. Honestly I've liked most of the interviews from everyone they've talked to.

The only person I haven't loved in her interviews has been Emily Procter, mainly because she keeps hinting at stories but not telling them. (paraphrasing) "Do you have any stories about the audition?" "Oh my god, so many stories I could tell..." *proceeds to move on to something unrelated* But even she was better in her most recent appearance, talking about the ERA.

The story about Ainsley originally being from Montana and Emily just doing it in her normal accent anyway was pretty good. I'm still catching up on the podcast (halfway through season 2), but Emily Proctor was one of my favorite guests so far

• Locked thread