Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Since we're on the subject of the sound mix, why is that drat jingle always playing in the credits? It really pulls me out of the moment, especially during the season 1 finale. Seems like they could have muted it, like they did occasionally on 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Marley Wants More posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen this, here's a little West Wing fix for ya.

Mary McCormack's sister ran for Congress last year and reunited the cast for a campaign message. It's corney and hackneyed, but I'd rather watch this cast spend an hour watching paint dry than most of the crap that's on TV now. Alas, Whitford got balder and bloated. But at least now we can say that Isaac and Ishmael is no longer the worst thing they did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52FLMOPSig&feature=youtu.be

Every time I see this I can't help laughing whenever Bradley Whitford is on screen. I swear, the guy looks like he's wearing a really awful fatsuit.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Well, I just blew through seasons five and six over the past week, and I was kind of stunned as to how disappointed I felt. Season 4 wasn't great, but holy hell.

- I know Sorkin left at the end of season 4, but did he take the DP with him or something? I remember watching the meeting between Bartlet and Haffley at the end of Separation of Powers and noticing a ridiculous amount of camera movement, trying to make something dynamic out of the act of staring across a table. Shot composition in general just felt really different, but that may have just been the result of the long break I took between 4 and 5.

- The show just seemed to shift to mirror the head-banging idiocy of real-world politics, which was disappointing as I kind of enjoyed the almost utopian atmosphere the show had early on.

-Most of all, and this one is really spergy, but the whole International Space Station crisis verged on being the dumbest thing I have ever seen put to screen. Did the genius who thought that up honestly not do a thirty second Altavista/Google search on the ISS, one that would have told him about the Soyuz they keep docked for this exact situation? Or did he just hope that audiences would be too stupid to question why we would leave people in space with no way back? As soon as they mentioned their top secret military shuttle I was in tears. Not only would a manned shuttle be pointlessly overcomplicated as an orbital weapons platform, but there is no way you could keep such a craft a secret. A shuttle launch isn't exactly clandestine, and there is no place to hide once you're in space. The whole concept is laughably awful, as is the idea of Toby leaking it to the press. The guy is practically the poster child of loyalty.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

What really let me down was how the morality of such a weapon was almost completely brushed over. There could have been an interesting discussion on the militarization of space, and how the existence of a military shuttle could represent the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude of American foreign policy. Instead we get a crappy whodunit subplot. Everyone in the administration is furious over the leak, but apparently less so over the idea that the government sees no problem with the construction of this shuttle in the first place.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Since we seem to be hating on the female characters, did anyone else despise the character of Amy Gardner? Her constant "what the gently caress is going on" look pretty much summed up what I was thinking whenever she showed up onscreen. I understood that she was a strong feminist advocate who bounced around jobs and had an on/off relationship with Josh, but I never understood why they kept bringing this decidedly unmemorable character back.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

njbeachbum posted:

At the time he did not have a VP did he? Hadn't Hoynes resigned?

Correct, but as far as the order of succession goes it doesn't matter.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Naet posted:

disorienting and viscerally painful.

This serves as a great description of that entire arc actually.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

cams posted:

EDIT: Wait, IMDB hated part two of "20 Hours in America". What the gently caress.

"The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels." COME ON

Counterpoint:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

McNally posted:

Not in the US Government. In 2002, a GS-9 Step 1 made $34,451. To be a GS-9 with no prior relevant experience you'd need to have a Master's Degree.

Blake Gottesman, Bush's body man from 2002 to 2006, made 54,500 dollars a year in that position. He was a 22 year old college dropout when he got the job.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

James R posted:

I had no idea he was in anything on television post-Studio-60. Oops!

You're telling me you haven't seen The Good Guys? :psyduck:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

That third snippet. :stare:

All of a sudden, putting Josh Malina in the "In Memoriam" video at the SAG Awards doesn't seem all that out of proportion.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Slashrat posted:

It's spooky how well the show predicted the 2008 election-lineup. An Obama-inspired minority candidate vs. a moderate McCain substitute, the former with an older VP to lend experience to the ticket, and the latter with a young tea party candidate trying to drag everything to the far right.

I guess I need to watch season 7 again, because I didn't remember that Vinick's running mate was even a character.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Was it only 100? I thought it was a few hundred. And if I remember it wasn't that they were banned just that it was suggested that they shouldn't play them for a while.

Was yakety sax on that list? This is important.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Speaking of timing, how far in advance did they know that season 7 was going to be the last? Did they know before production started, or was there ever a chance that we were going to get a season in the Santos Administration?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Asiina posted:

It also had Rob Lowe saying that he turned it on one time after he left and immediately turned it off...but then wanted to come back for the end. So you didn't watch it when Sorkin left, but wanted to be part of it again?

Get paid money to have a reunion with my buddies and give the audience a nice sendoff? I'd come back too.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

myron cope posted:

It also says they were going to have Alda win at the end but changed after John Spencer died, which I know I've read in this thread before but I don't know if it was "confirmed" or not.

Martin Sheen was the one who said it in this article. John Wells has denied it before, and when you read that they were considering an 8th season before Spencer died, it just doesn't make sense. There'd be no show if Santos wasn't the nominee.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 6, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

MindlessHavok posted:

The only thing that bugs me, and it's not even really a storytelling or show issue, is Joey Lucas' interpreter. I get from a show standpoint why he's there. Marlee Matlin can read lips and speak well enough, but they have the guy there so people can clearly understand what she's saying.

The interpreter is there because a deaf person with a job like that would have an interpreter, mostly for their own benefit. Lip reading isn't an exact science by any means, even experienced lipreaders only pick up about 30-40% of what's said.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Asiina posted:

Except there's a running joke through the whole series about him not remembering people's names (which is true of Martin Sheen also).

Is there? Apart from In the Shadow of Two Gunmen, does Bartlet ever display a problem remembering names? I genuinely don't remember.

I guess this means it's time for another rewatch.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Man, watching Newsroom, and there's gonna be a plotline about a something in Equatorial Kundu. Like, c'mon Aaron, you couldn't make up another name for a fake African country?

I like that about his shows. Little easter eggs can be fun. :shrug:

e: Also, poo poo, I completely forgot to make a Newsroom thread.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

pokeyman posted:

So I get to S1E10 "Noël" and remember that this is the only episode of a Sorkin show centring around a session with a psychologist that I actually enjoy.

Then the story credit comes up and it's someone else.

I guess I don't enjoy any Sorkin episodes with psychologists.

Are you saying that Freudian slips are not the be-all and end-all of psychology? :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Bartlet had relapsing-remitting MS, so I guess we're just left to assume he was mostly in remission for the last season.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

TheBigBad posted:

Remember the time where he marries the President's daughter.

No. God drat show runners.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Is there some version other than the original broadcast end credits? The original ones completely ruin the tone of some of the episodes, too.

I think you're both talking about the same end credits. The DVD and Netflix releases use the same jingle, and the only way to avoid it is to anticipate it.

Assuming the West Wing's original broadcast was like most shows, the credits would just be minimized so that the network can show the preview for the following program.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Not like one needs a reason to rewatch The West Wing, but here is one anyway. New episodes will be online every Wednesday

https://twitter.com/JoshMalina/status/709865028753575937

Definitely can't think of anything I want more than the biggest failed experiment on the show talking about three seasons he wasn't even part of.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

CJ never wore glasses at the podium. Immersion ruined. :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I was watching the Supremes again recently and I'm still a bit hazy on the horse trade that takes place. It seriously feels like the Republicans accidentally picked a genuine constitutionalist, not the young arch-conservative that they were expected to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

McNally posted:

I've only recently caught up on the podcast, but during their episodes for season 1, they kept referring to Bartlet as having lost the popular vote based on the line that "most people voted for someone else."

I thought it was a reference to Clinton only ever winning a plurality of the popular vote, not losing it outright.

I'm pretty sure they're wrong, unless Sorkin has confirmed that was what he meant. It's pretty clear Sorkin meant there was a spoiler in the election, not that fake America pulled a Bush v. Gore.

• Locked thread