Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bluhman posted:

I've heard of people doing similar things with Dex/Ego AoPM build, but actually haven't seen how well that would handle, mainly because it doesn't have the crazy base enrage damage backup, which can apply to any damage at all.

You can get around this if you're melee by using Form of the Tempest. My current character gets +22% damage in Sentinel with every stack, plus the insane energy boost every time I crit. I also have a better healing output than most other passives can grant, with only Seraphim really beating my numbers.

Even if they do fix the math on the offensive passives, I'll still stick with AoPM, just because it's super crazy for wishing away all of your energy issues and still provides really good damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The problem in CO is that there's literally no reason to team up since everything is soloable and doing it with a team doesn't necessarily get you better EXP/loot. Even the most challenging end-game dungeon (Therakiel's Lair) gives poo poo loot compared to just doing Serpent Lantern on Very Hard by yourself.

It's an awful pity because the fight with Therakiel is one of the coolest loving boss fights in any MMO and really plays up the whole blocking/movement aspect of the game that you don't really get in any of the other major fights.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Allatum posted:

Going three ways with the talents is only +18 to each, which used to be a nice secondary item's worth of stats. Before the Adventure Pack drops and PvP vendor items at least.

The removal of a second Secondary slot should help make them more relevant again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Any mention of a crafting overhaul to go along with that?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Friendly Factory posted:

So this is a little hosed up. Going through the early story mission stuff and I need to bully some dude named Wayland Talos to get info on a mobster. I sneak in, beat the poo poo out of him and the big "i" appears above his head. I was currently holding an explosive barrel, which the game refused to let me drop. After about 30 seconds, Talos bolts through the back door and disappears. Forever. I dropped the quest and went back and now I can't bully the fucker because he's gone. I think I'm somehow locked out of forward progress in this questline.

Try logging out for about 5~ minutes and trying again. Instances reset after around that time, so he should be there after that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I just want them to add more goddamn content, already. This game is fun as poo poo, but I've done basically everything already. :I Wish they'd get a pile of money shoved at them so they can make something as atmospheric and fun as the Therakiel encounter again.

Any news on adding epic lairs/PVE queues for all of the lairs?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm not surprised since Atari mangled the hell out of the NWN2 release as well. That certainly explains why Vibora Bay was so well done (seriously, the Apocalypse and the fight against Therakiel are loving gorgeous) and why there was basically jack poo poo after that for a year.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Drone posted:

I'm thinking about giving this a go since CoH is closing down soon. My one concern (as an STO player) is that CO's gameplay is going to be pretty much exactly the same as STO's ground combat (which sucks). Is that true, or is it actually fun?

It's pretty fun. As mentioned, things die quickly (with the exception of the occasional tougher opponents that are sometimes mixed in with packs of dudes). The combat is a touch more action-y, however, since certain opponents will occasionally do big "telegraph attacks" that'll deal a shitload of damage or do something bad unless you're able to block them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stacking up absorb shields on my weirdo Ego Blades/Empathy hybrid tended to do the trick for defense. Only downside on my original build: I needed to have at least one shield up when Therakiel is doing his big final stage attack or I would instantly die, even while blocking. :pwn:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

prefect posted:

I guess I didn't understand what the "slime" meant. :tipshat:

Metal Slimes are a monster from the Dragon Quest series with the aforementioned attributes (ridiculously hard to penetrate defenses but measly HP), unless I'm misremembering my Metal Slime stats.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I heard Fighting Claws sucks, can anyone explain further?

Unless they dramatically changed it from the last time I played, you have a single good attack (Tiger's Bite?) in the entire line. It's a really good attack, but it's never-the-less the only one worth taking.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Has there been much content added since I stopped playing? I ended up quitting right before Alerts got released, so I'm assuming there's at least a decent chunk I haven't done.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

geri_khan posted:

1) Unbalanced powers/sets. I wanted to make 1H Sword or Martial Arts characters for example, but they were a bit crap. My first character used Force, and the personal force field power was rubbish compared to Regen.

They did balance passes on almost every power set (I think Fighting Claws still hasn't been looked at) so everything's on a roughly even keel nowadays. It's obviously still imperfect, but you won't get laughed at for using one thing over the other.

quote:

2) Lack of content. There were a few times while levelling my original characters that I'd completely run out of missions to do, and it always felt like all my characters were doing the same sets of missions.

They did a rejiggering of all of the quests a while back as well. It's nearly impossible to run out of questing content to hit 40 with.

quote:

3) Lack of teaming. I can't recall EVER teaming for fun, only out of necessity. The vast majority of content was soloable and I don't recall teaming improving it.

There's new things called Alerts where you join up with 4 other random people to complete a short task. It's the perfect sort of teaming for the game, really: Quick with good rewards and relatively fun.

quote:

4) Tone. I'm not a RPer, but I do like to have some lore to put punching aliens in the nuts into context. Pretty much everything in CO was a joke or reference though, and a deeply unfunny one. (Anchorman...)

Basically all of the content they released after opening day has been either relatively neutral in tone or ridiculously dark. You'll see what I mean when you get to the Vibora Bay Crisis.

quote:

5) Increasing grind. The last major change I remember was when they introduced some new craftable travel powers, and you had to farm thousands(?) of items off of VIPER to make them. It was utterly ridiculous.

Someone else will have to answer this more fully, but most of the actual "achievable" things like items, costume pieces, etc. aren't too onerous to get. It's a good game to play casually.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I just wish you could do the Brawler/FPS-style controls and still have the ability to support well. The F2-F5 keys just straight up stop working so it's drat near impossible to shield/heal someone in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's not surprising, really, since the Neverwinter engine is the same as the Champions Online engine. They've really gotten their money's worth for the drat thing, considering how you see a whole bunch of the same emotes popping up across all three of their major games.