Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Hyperactive posted:

People who do not do this are crazy. I have literally spent hours in the tailor only to come out with one incredibly minor change.

THAT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL I'M NOT THE CRAZY ONE.

You can also replace 'tailor' with 'Powerhouse/Battle Station' and you've got my CO experience right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Oh man, I can just see the Renaissance Center on launch day:

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Kelp Plankton posted:

So can you mix and match different flavors of the same base type? If I have Mom's Basement, can I pick up the High-Tech Basement and then use the hologram thing or wall-mounted weapon case in the otherwise crummy looking basement hangout? Or is everything locked to it's own 'set'?

It'd pretty much be perfect for my inventor hero to live in a lovely basement but still have high-tech stuff there.

You can mix and match items between different sets that share the same setting, so yes.

PYF size fetishist ITT

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Foe the second style of CC, I narrowed down the list to the categories that I personally believe would be interesting to the contestants, while providing us with some amusing results, given that they have a good amount of time (days) to prepare and get creative:

Female costume most likely to be created by a male
Costume Edward Cullen would choose second over Bella
Best use of costume piece 'bare hands'
Miming
Corny Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Romance Novel Covers (Emphasis on CORNY)
Lords and Ladies FROM SPAAAAACE
Foxbat's #1 Fan
Manimal Hunter
Slendermen and Women (Tall, thin, long-limbed costumes)
gently caress the Ocean
Cosplay Disasters
Most Likely to Appear in a Sex Offender Registry
Rocket-Powered Hobos
IT CAME FROM CLUB CAPRICE
Famous Historical Figures Made Appealing to Anime Nerds
Rejected VIPER Armor Suit Designs
Bootleg Versions of Famous Heroes
A Tribute to Rob Liefeld
Largest Disconnect Between Character Name and Appearance
Most Punchable Face / Costume
Best Combination of Antlers and Necktie
Most Likely to Have Been Shoved Into a Locker in High School
Best Powered Armor Suit with a Monocle
Capt. Thalidomide's Hall of Fame
Best-Dressed Farm Animal
Most accurate A-Team
Best Simultaneous Parody of Hulk & Deadpool
Best Nightmare On Sesame St.
Biography with the most cliches
Angst Angst Angst Angst

Though if there was a category that I would love to see happen first it's either Historical Figures Made Appealing to Anime Nerds or Most Likely to Appear in a Sex Offender Registry. Oh, and Best Simultaneous Parody of Hulk & Deadpool if you prefer something hero-related.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

FlyinPingu posted:

If I'm able to attend I'll likely be Dunold Dock, king of kings.

That means I have to reroll Geefy again! :argh:

Or I could go on as Sigmund, instead.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

That doesn't sound like a goon CC at all, maybe an appropriately-themed category like gently caress the Ocean would be nice.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Aphrodite posted:

Jan, jjac and Bluhman: I need to know your characters for tomorrow.

Everyone else: The CC is at 8 server, most likely inside Champs HQ. We got judges, but feel free to come.

Sigmund, most likely. I'll try to whip up an appropriately-themed costume this time though.

EDIT:

jjac fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 17, 2011

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Heavy neutrino posted:

That's a good point. Do we have a good idea of what each slot boosts the most?

Based on the Wiki, items are capable of giving the following stats:

Offense Slot
Primary: STR, DEX, REC
Secondary: STR, DEX, CON, PRE, REC

Defense Slot
Primary: CON, PRE
Secondary: STR, DEX, INT, EGO, REC, END

Utility Slot
Primary: INT, EGO, END
Secondary: CON, PRE, INT, EGO, END

Keep in mind that primary items get both a primary and secondary modifier, so they also give a small stat boost that secondary items usually have. Blue drops from adventure packs, if done on higher difficulties, have a third modifier that gives the item a small amount in ANY one stat.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I've got screenshots of some of the winners. Someone else cover me here. :ohdear:

Lightning round winner (Can't remember the name)

Thunder Dog, Doctor Doodlebug and Hu-Man (who is not a winner)

'A Lice in Wonderland' and 'The Gimp'.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

sentrygun posted:

Nice. Shame you had to play the game on your laptop though.

quote:

Unarmed: One Hundred Hands: (New!) A new Tier 1 maintained attack that deals damage to targets in front of you with a rapid flurry of fists.

ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

So basically, this?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

To keep the Halloween spirit, I guess we can have a Slutty Classic Movie Monster category. I'm talking actual 1910-1950s Universal monsters and not that Twilight/Underworld crap.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Aphrodite posted:

And mine which I haven't decided yet.

If it's going to be last on the categories list, I suggest "frog". Just frog.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I'm gonna post some screenshots of my own in case anyone wants to see the winners with actual textures and normal mapping.

EDIT: I just realized out of all the winning players only one was female. :gay:

jjac fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 30, 2011

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Benjamin Black posted:

As long as the name of the costume contest is along the lines of 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'.

I dunno, the point is that we treat as a straight-up Christmas CC with the categories mysteriously replaced.

"Alright folks! Time to wear those overalls and march on over to Santa's Little Workshop! It's time for the Frankenstein category!"

And then we all put on our 'elf' costumes like in the Halloween CC.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

If you ever want a way to melt your processor through excessive debris physics, looks like Earth is the way to go. This is all from just spamming block:

EDIT: Bonus Tremor explosion.

jjac fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 10, 2011

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Oh wonderful, even Champions is celebrating the SWTOR launch.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

They really should phase out the old talent system in the process, it's meaningless and obsolete. +5 STR and CON? Who the gently caress cares, especially at level 40?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Aphrodite posted:

Heirlooms

Oh god why didn't I stockpile all my nemesis points instead of spending it all on obsolete purples? :suicide:

Odd to put it behind a nemesis vendor, though. Are those eye glows costume unlocks or can you only get them from wearing the full set all the time?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

UNITY missions? Does that mean their vendors have updated rewards too? I can't check for myself since my 40s are locked.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

There was a point where a SMASH Nemesis alert was up for several hours after the Questionite update. Got a boatload of Q and leveled twice to 38 by punching Kimahri Jong-il in the face. It's the most I've played Champions in a very long while.

:human being::respek::fsmug:

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

If you didn't know already, becoming a subscriber also gives you access to freeform characters AND power customization.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Flesh Forge posted:

Why do my F2-F5 keys not select teammates? (e.g. for healing/buffing team people)

If you're running an alert you're technically not in a party (which yes, is stupid as hell). You'll have to invite them all manually into a 'proper' party or stick to mouse-targeting.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Kelp Plankton posted:

I went digging on the CO official boards to see if anyone had a fun 'turn huge, stomp on poo poo' build to play with and the only one I found is pretty outdated. Anyone here want to take a shot at putting one together?

You can't get as big now as you used to be able to with that one crazy device(which turned you roughly the size of a building) but by stacking the Enrage size growth optional trait and the Miniaturization Ray thing's trait that turns you big whenever it shrinks an enemy, you can still get pretty huge. Which is fun, because, you know. Being huge and stomping on people is it's own reward.

But beyond those two I'm not really sure how to make it work as a build. It's been too long since I've built a proper character so now I have no idea what to take. I just want to make a Hank Pym style giant dude.

Man, I miss that.

You can probably use anything you want as long as you have a reliable way to build Enrage stacks; I assume you're going for a brawler so Roomsweeper is probably your best bet. If you're willing to break concept a bit you can use Howl to maintain stacks between fights (you can also use Aggressor as a subtler alternative, but it's three times the recharge) and focusing on Constitution means your Enrage buff lasts longer as well. Superstats are STR, CON and INT for lower cooldown on Miniturization Drive and the forementioned Enrage maintainers. I don't know how far back you stopped playing, but the Might tree has its own offensive passive now if you want to get your clobberin' on.

I may have missed something since my knowledge isn't exactly up-to-date either, but I'm sure someone else can help you further with that.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

kafziel posted:

The real confusing part there is that it's all in percents. If 60% Resistance means damage is divided by 1.6, then don't loving call it 60 percent resistance. Just say 60 Resistance! Calling it a percent is a flat-out lie.

I'd say it's still accurate as a percent in the "You take 60% longer to die" sense, though I do find it hard estimating anything that isn't a multiple of a hundred.

Recharge time enhancements in City of Heroes worked the same way too.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

How many box gundams are running around right now?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Wanna see that Hen Masters (if it's not part of the creep-fest), it would go great with this:

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Anyone here have a workaround for party binds not working in alerts apart from asking everyone to form a "real" team? I just wanna heal with a gamepad.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

LordSaturn posted:

The rest of the game is still pretty okay, though. Does anybody have wisdom to share regarding ice powers? I kind of want to make an ice tank, maybe with Stormbringer? What's good in ice? How do I not run out of energy?

EDIT: I guess Stormbringer doesn't make any sense for a tank. Mostly I'm worried about how to build an ice character that doesn't starve for energy.

If you superstat CON, Defiance seems up your alley for defense and energy regen. Passives and auras are separate now so you can be tanky and still rock the Stormbringer look.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Flesh Forge posted:

Check this poo poo they're putting in the next lockbox:

A loving TRAIN VEHICLE??

LOOK AT THIS loving THING IT HAS TEETH LOOK

Wanna suplex that train

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

sharkbeard posted:

So I picked this game up after realizing it's the same company as STO, and a friend of mine told me it was fun.

So far it's been pretty neat, but I have to admit I absolutely loathe, LOATHE, how some archetypes can't NOT wear a freaking hat/headgear.

I'm not quite familiar with the new player experience in this game as of recently, but I recall they severely limit the costume options for anyone who hasn't finished the tutorial I think? After that, you can wear and look like anything no matter your powers or gear.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I just got back to fiddling with the costume creator recently and goddamn if the redundant categories for gloves/chest/hipwear got exhausting to navigate between, especially when you can't remember which categories house which looks.

I know they want to avoid major clipping issues, but putting that chestpiece in its own category because it happens to span the shoulders isn't intuitive at all. As if the first question anyone asks when choosing a shirt isn't "what's cool" or "what make sense" but "how many accessory slots is this part potentially gonna overwrite?".

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

malhavok posted:

So I'm trying to follow this build but i don't get the choice of "crashing wave kick" at level 1, what gives?

I think if you refund your second power you're eligible to choose any tier 1 power in the tree you start with.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I can't remember, is Canada or the desert still an alternate leveling route for newbies or is everyone funneled into the lovely sewer 'Mireny Mirreni' mission?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Making original characters for a video game is effort and people just gravitate towards the things they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

The new systems that refund power involve chaining a very specific set of abilities that take up most of your tray so I don’t see how that's a plus for customization.