Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The official policy is that straight out "Batman" isn't okay, but "Batman's Fat Uncle" is just fine. Basically, parody value is what matters.

Meanwhile, I've never heard of anyone getting a worse punishment than a forced rename/costume blanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bluhman posted:

Heavy Weapon

:rock:

My experience with heavy weapons was that it combined surprisingly well with martial arts claws stuff, providing lots of beefy charged attacks to maintain your focus stacks.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FlyinPingu posted:

Is Antiproton still around? Because he was loving terrible and I hate him and he never did anything worthwhile except be a useless piece of poo poo bent on making every item in the game worthless/awful.

Briefly perusing the Items & Crafting forum reveals that he may have disappeared. Good news, right? Except that he was replaced by... nobody. Seems like all the dev attention is on powers and not items.

Aphrodite posted:

My Millenia Rangers spin-off never caught on.

That's not a color! :argh:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

doomfunk posted:

BULLET PISTOL

So THAT'S what I'm going to name my new alt.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mewnie posted:

Holy poo poo, it's Balbaroy and Amon from Shining Force.

I scrolled immediately to the bottom to post exactly this. Now I can make cheesy bird swordfighter guys!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Asimo posted:

Graphically... hmm. I won't lie, ChampO does take a little getting used to, and it's very cartoony and stylized. But honestly City of Heroes looks like absolute poo poo (and frankly, always has; the face options and a bunch of other things have been horrible since day one and haven't gotten any prettier in the eight-odd years since), and the ChampO chargen allows for far, far wider options of build and appearance. There's a few things CoH has that CO still doesn't, sure, but I'll trade some Furry heads for the ability to make a big bruiser brick character without tiny little doll hands, thanks.

Don't forget that Champions only has ONE FACE :argh:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Asimo posted:

Of COURSE he has a deely-bopper, how could he NOT?

(I think I know what to do with The Soviet Dynamo now)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

You fuckers leave the traditional pink-and-blue Goonsquad heraldry alone :argh:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Manliest Anime Character?

EDIT: Or maybe Best Male Character Using The Female Mesh?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Most Disturbing for No Specific Reason (think Rolling Tsundere)

How'd tonight's contest go? I had to go out of town today.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bluhman posted:

The one in the middle... is that Greyhound Tits?

Light Gun Man posted:

edit: trying to come up with a concept for a dumb "hangin with supergoons" character to make and i just keep thinking of presidents (super saiyan Teddy Roosevelt, samurai Lincoln). but we already have mecha Nixon so it doesn't seem very original. hopefully something will come to me.

Given that Mecha Nixon was in a goon-only U.S. Presidents-themed supergroup at one point, maybe you should do it anyway :D

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Aphrodite posted:

... a guy called Super Happy Fun Bomb who uses the bubblehead sphere and droopy antenna to look like a bomb.

I love that all the best uses for the bubblehead sphere involve not using it as a space helmet.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Population's never been an actual problem, but 'endgame content' continues to be. If you're looking for a 'nightly raids' kind of experience, this is probably not the place to find it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Generally, upgrading your EB is a bum deal. Save your advantage points for ranks of your passive, travel powers, any unique qualitative-change advantages (keep an eye out for Swallowtail Cut, you want that one), and after that ranks of your best AoE and single-target DPS moves.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Your experience with The Left Hand sounds very typical; he's not easy unless you have the kind of supertank build that doesn't mind his big spike attack.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

My favorite power combo is the Tech T4, which sucks all the enemies into one spot, and the Orbital Cannon with the Anvil of Dawn advantage. Start the beam, toss the bomb, watch them loving melt.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Man, both those AoE maintains sound exactly like what MA desperately needed.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'm pretty sure Defiant Monk is still a top-tier (such as exists) tank build. Defiance, Parry with Elusive Monk, whatever toggle and circle give the best defensive overlap - you wind up hitting the base of the diminishing returns slope in basically every category of defense, with all the half-measures multiplying together to make you essentially unkillable. Plus, you run enough STR and CON to have perma-free Enrage, assuming you skirt around taking a Focus toggle. (Did they remove the rule that makes Focus cancel Enrage? I can't find anything about it on the wiki.)

Martial Arts also works nicely with Quarry. It boosts all physical damage, so it goes poorly with the new dimensional-damage stuff, but it allows you to easily pull in whatever Munitions/Archery/Whatever attacks that suit you. The stats are a little awkward - super-INT is basically required and super-EGO would be a good idea, leaving you with a sideline either in STR or DEX. On the upside, none of your attacks will cost anything, ever!

I also want to point out that Regeneration is still perfectly workable, as long as it's not your only tool - I layer it with Ebon Void, which is just retard-strong on its own.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So Dark Enforcers wouldn't be "Person most resembling Silverspar"? :eng99:

vvv Ahhh, okay, that sounds right. vvv

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 12, 2011

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Just make it "Werewolf (Human Form)" and give a prize to the one who looks least like an animal.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So I'm not the only one who immediately wondered how hard you could slog a computer with the 'free rocks' button?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I just wanted to see what :siren:SILVERSPAR:siren: posted that you agreed with.

Here is the (already-censored) post for which Lohr got banned: http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=2000554#post2000554 There was a LOT of censoring going on there, what were people talking about that flipped the mods off?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'm impressed with the Wind set - it has a bunch of tie-ins to Negative Ions and Chill, so it dovetails with Ice and Electric to create sort of a weather-themed character, if you so choose.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The Mason-Nixon Line?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I would find it easier to come back and play if they'd stop changing the rules every four months.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ColHannibal posted:

So I outed a dude in the pedophile set in general chat and flare outright banned me from contests channel.

And then you didn't take screenshots? :eng99:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I actually do hate it when they change the rules and invalidate all my old builds, but that's because I have level 40 characters I haven't played in 6 months.

The system today is definitely better than it was at launch, but the horse is largely out of the barn on that one.

Also, let's keep in mind that the cash shop is probably directed to some extent by PWE.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

This game needs more content like Therakiel's lair. Not a LOT more, but like three or maybe four comparably involved dungeons.

(I miss running it with you guys, poo poo made unemployment bearable :unsmith:)

How's the itemization system doing? I know they messed with equipment, did they reimplement crafting?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think you can already just leave Sneak on. It's a toggle, isn't it?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Just dropping this off:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Also pictured: The cape you get from the optional objective on Dimensional Destroyer, two of the emblems from the original Blood Moon event, and the Lifetime Subscriber crest. Because when looking aggressively terrible near RPists, you need to passive-aggressively remind them that you've played more of this game, and played it better, than they ever will :unsmigghh:

EDIT: And the pink and blue madbomb, beloved insignia of the SuperGoons.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Also, look carefully, there should be an Undo button on that screen, which will help you not ruin everything forever.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Here is one of those things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1l8dfqFv1s

(Easter egg: Note where all the debris gets thrown near the end)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ZombieParts posted:

I fixed it.

I haven't played CO since it's launch but with CoH getting its head chopped off, I am looking for a replacement hero game. The graphics in CO are goofy but the Ultimate Thor mock up on page 4 or so really sold me on this. I'm down for swinging some heavy weapons.

I vaguely remember my Might character and he seemed so drat underpowered. My general combat tactic was to take off into a mob at a run and use Roomsweeper to throw the crowd (which is funny) and then I could single target them as they came running back. I never felt truly "super" playing the game though. Has that been balanced out?

Swinging was cool and the earth shattering Super Jump was cool. I'm into special effects, I guess.

Where does the general populace gather to shoot the poo poo and roleplay?

Good news! Might is one of the best power sets, now. They fixed most of the melee sets around the time they added Vibora Bay.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Section Z posted:

This is true. Back when I was playing at launch, the biggest problem to powers was "oh god how do I decide/Oh, there was a X power I wanted after all in Y power set all this time? :doh:", as well as various powers being spiked into the ground with the nerf sledge as the PvP crowd kept cycling through "best single pick power of the moment until nerf" basically every 24 hours.

Are you rolling a pure Munitions guy? Well your Micro Munitions just got halved in effectiveness! Hey, pure fire blaster guy? Do you like Pyre? Guess what!

It amazed me that Gigabolt still gave me a feedback loop of infinite energy to spam it still when I left off, until I realized that infinite energy feedback loop wouldn't work out in PvP. I'm not surprised to read in the OP it's just now merely awesome.

Back to the good things about the game though, you can (and it's my own plan when I get back to it) make a blaster that's tough as gently caress if you were so inclined.

The PvP community was/is awful human garbage, true enough, but to be fair, Micro Munitions got scoured the gently caress out because people were cake-walking the entire PvE game with teleport-micro-teleport.

To make a good build, combine:
  1. A way to kill the clusters of 4-5 mobs that spawn all over everywhere.
  2. A way to kill single, tougher guys.
  3. A passive that helps 1 and 2 above, or at least makes you hard to kill.
You can split the rest of your build thereafter between redundancy, synergy, and awesome poo poo.

Oh God, writing list tags in this thread is giving me flashbacks...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cuchulain posted:

Someone stole Cuchulain again when they merged to PWAccounts. :mad:

I'm back as Kuhulin. Let's see what's new.

Edit: Oh god, the F2P system is even worse then CoH's was. I guess I'll go gold if I decide to stick around.

Sometimes this is caused by having to do a backflip to get PW to reset your password. I forget the trick, but if you mash the right buttons on their site, you can probably get your old account back.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I don't know what Melon is, but I'm disappointed there's not screenshots of it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

It doesn't help that they keep changing those mechanics :(

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

whatspeakyou posted:

Don't be this guy:

:stare:

Why the gently caress not, this owns.

vvv The GMs have literally told us that they'll let you make any copyrighted character, as long as it's an obvious parody. Not sure if that applies to the above, but it's something to keep in mind.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Aphrodite posted:

The owner of the wiki started it to boost her own standing and restricts who can submit to it to an inner circle.

They spend more time attacking people who say the wiki sucks than doing anything with it.

"Well why don't YOU start a wiki and tell us how that goes, then." :smug:

We had one, for a while. I'm pretty sure it and all its data are long gone by now.