Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The powers that animate with two pistols are all pretty strong, but there's only ~ 4 of them. You'll need to accessorize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Flesh Forge posted:

Eh it's not really any worse than any other MMO out there and better than a lot of them, the thing is you level out of the missions wayyyyyyy too quickly for how they're scaled and really there's no big reason to do them in sequence anyway, most of the story arcs are totally independent of each other. It's at its worst in Vibora Bay when even if you start the unlock absolutely as soon as it will let you, you're still gonna be 40 before you even get a quarter or less through the zone content and it's all 37-39.

Which is a blessing, because Vibora Bay has the worst instanced dungeons in the game. "Hey, remember all those horrible same-y warehouse runs from City of Heroes?"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bluhman posted:

I don't even know why that lair has trash mob floors, they just kind of waste time compared to the much more involved bosses. They give a really bad false impression about how difficult the lair actually is.

I don't even know why this GAME has trash mob floors. gently caress trash mobs.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

"walking radio station man" is a good concept

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I have absolutely gotten my money's worth out of my lifetime subscription.

I would probably not pay $15 to access my heap of freeform characters for a month at this point. I might pay $50 once, but not per character.

kafziel posted:

I suppose let me be the first of ... many(???) people driven to give this game a whirl by the recent Monster Factories. In my case, at least, it's *another* whirl, having played it quite a lot back in the day. Mostly solo, never really got into the high levels or the big group content.

I felt a twinge of pride when they hit the Random button and, for a moment, couldn't figure out how to improve on what they got.

kafziel posted:

My main is/was a freeform attempt at a Heavy Weapons tank. It seems to be going okay, trying it again, but I am running into a bit of difficulty with staying alive soloing. Any suggestions on a good heal power? Or should I just rely on devices? Also, anything to speak of for that build in general?

What passive are you on?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'll defer to Bluh on whether Defiance + Resurgence should be fine, or if there's another passive that would serve you better. Just wanted to be sure you hadn't gone with Fiery Form or something.

I will say that my Defiance build is to stack Defiance with Parry and some of the other Dodge/Avoidance buffs. Spreading your defenses out like that helps you skirt the diminishing returns model.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

There's a reasonable amount of content to play with, assuming you've never played any of it before. It's fun to dick around with freeform builds until it isn't anymore. There's an endgame centered around gearing up to fight worldbosses that I've never really bothered with, but other people here have.

If you want build help, you should spell out exactly what it is you want to do.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Songbearer posted:

Just went and scraped some of my old images and I found some old memories. I slapped 'em together in an album - some CO veterans might get a kick out of some Milennia Rangers screenshots I took while putting together the footage all those years ago:

http://imgur.com/a/CBj4m

Good times :3:

I still show that video to people. I'm so glad I'm in it. :3:

EDIT: And then I have to explain about Draysha.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Flesh Forge posted:

:siren: Freeform slots are on sale 50% off, FYI. :siren:

We should basically use the Achewood thread rule, which is to put sirens on that statement.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Reinstalled to play with the costume editor for five minutes, hung around to see what they've done with powers lately. Looks like electric and fire both got some attention? They have their own stances instead of Concentration, a couple of new powers, etc.

Apparently Jack Emmert hopped ship to Daybreak a year ago? Looks like we got a new King of Maintenance Mode, boys...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think they're all T4 powers, so you can only take one per character. The original T4 powers (still free so far as I know) ranged from "combos with another known-good power" to "you could build around making this power work and it would still be trash".

EDIT: yeah, they used to require ten powers from a specific group of power sets, but that was asinine and got removed for the "just be level 35" thing

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 18, 2018

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Jabarto posted:

I"ve been playing this game off and on for a while and finally hit 40 on my first character. What should I be looking at to acquire endgame gear?

Flesh Forge posted:

It's bought with silver and gold recognition, which you get most quickly from doing cosmic monster kills but you'll need a lot more silver rec so you'll be wanting to do a lot of the other content like Qliphothic War Zone, Nemesis Confrontation and whatever. There's a set that requires a ton of token drops from all the the Rampage alerts too. Look in the Champion Recognition vendor in the Recognition kiosk in MC.

while you're working on that, it's worthwhile to farm the nemesis system to get heirloom gear. it's useful both immediately, and then to twink out your alts

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

wind is the answer, as it'll allow you to sneak the word "blow" into the name

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

wooosh

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I dunno, any of them could be fun. Which one was a goon project again? I'd really have to get my hands on any of them to know what I think, there's so much distance between screenshots and gameplay. That said, it seems to me like a colossal mistake to launch an MMO in the current market, capes or no capes.

I can't say I disagree with the facts of any of the bitter comments on massively. The game has been on maintenance mode for years, and it was always kind of shonky and broken, despite how much fun I've had in it and how much it's improved.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Songbearer posted:

Couldn't have done it without you guys. It's still my favourite bit of content I've made and gets plenty of visits even today :unsmith:

I still show it to people every so often and I still remember which one was me. Thanks again for making it!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

if you haven't heard, City of Heroes is back, go over here to figure it out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767383

EDIT: I should be clear, in case someone gets their hopes up: there's no server at the moment. there was before, and there may be again soon.

EDIT EDIT: status keeps changing. just go to the CoH thread

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 24, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

being locked out of the freeform system means you can't do any of the things we've traditionally done to trivialize content, which means you get to notice that the game isn't balanced too well

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FrostyPox posted:

So I never really liked this game, tbh, but I really did give it a chance; last time I played it I hit 40 and did all the content and had maxed out my gear in like a week.

But I'm an idiot who makes bad decisions and bought a freeform character slot earlier today because I want to see what the game is like while using one of its most touted features.

I assume there's still not much end game per se; last time I played it was running daily missions for tokens. I guess there's a new end game lair? Do people actually run it? Last time I played the game getting people to run lairs was like pulling teeth and everyone seemed to hate doing them, but I did manage to get enough people to join me and I did in fact run every single lair in the game (and they were actually pretty cool, especially Therakiel's Temple!)

I also assume you no longer get a free Free-form character slot when you hit 40 on a Free-form character, since there's no subscription now.

Anywho if anyone would like to join me in my misadventures in Millennium City and the surrounding environs, I am @RatBot. I'm doing mostly ice and supernatural powers.

I suspect I won't be playing too long but I wanna get my 30 bux out of it :P

what's the new lair called? I bet andrithal is still broken

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

huh, I guess they really did make a new dungeon. horse is well out of this barn, tho

so what are you gonna make in freeform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I played a poo poo ton of this game but it really made me appreciate the value of defined class roles