Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I can win any costume contest with the amazing Shaden Von Onyxdarkblack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

terminal mehmet posted:

Looks like all glowy costume pieces turned up to 11.

You can't have darkness with out tons of light! So clearly I had to make the brightest character possible for my darkness guy. It just so happens that there are a lot of parts that offer a ton of glow on them.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

The most glowy pieces in the game are the stone armor pieces but I mixed and matched a few others to fill in the gaps.

I've still got the character on my account for when I want to fly around and freak people out. It's even pretty glowy when you have the glow turned off.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

delfin posted:

Given the catering to the RP crew, I'm surprised the anime-style Gigantic Fuckoff Interdimensional Hammer wasn't in this.

Are you kidding furries don't need anime hammers!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Amazing absolutely amazing.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

FlyinPingu posted:

God damned power armor!!

Ugh yes everything about this so much. I really hope one of these updates power armor gets a go over because I love the idea of it but my god everything barely works together at all.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Asimo posted:

Yeah. I love the idea of those, since it's a fun way to make interesting effects and throw on fun weapon gimmicks. But the lack of stats is often crippling, and the fact the weapon replacement powers are at the item's level (at least for the munitions types, rather than the "chance of effect on hit" martial arts types) means they go obsolete incredibly quickly unless there's some unique damage type or effect, and even then they don't have much lifespan. Just kind of sad really.

I just don't understand why the power replacers don't appear in the costume editor with the right effects. Or at least do what STO does and have them scale with your level.

I mean drat dudes it's a feature of your other game! On the same engine! With the same code! With literally the same people working on it!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Say something in the channel if you're looking for people to team with. There's always people around. They might not chat or answer questions, but when you're offering a team they usually speak up.

See in my experience it's the opposite. People will chat up a storm but the second you say "Anyone up for teaming?" the whole chat goes dead.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Jan posted:

The guy literally has skulls on top of of his skulls. He's a walking pile of skulls. Would you really believe a hero with such a costume? (Outside of the obvious "heroes aren't real" aspect.)

What are you racist against skulls or something?

Maybe he just has a boner for skulls.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

So any chance the retro guns actually change your bullet effects?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Asimo posted:

Sadly, nah. That'd be a bigger change than just some costume stuff. They do however have them as options for the appropriate Gadgeteering powers at least, and presumably they'll apply for the ones that are added later this month too.

So sad but the costume pieces are worth it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I am so going to buy it as soon as I can come up with a better name than Captain Future. :negative:

Hmm that makes me want to make a character named Captain Quantum.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

So apparently you can subscribe for Gold, get the benefits immediately, and then cancel your account within the day, you aren't charged for Gold and it's removed from your account once canceled.

You can use that temporary Gold time to create characters in your extra character slots, then cancel Gold and still have access to those characters when your Gold status is removed.

I assume this also works for creating Freeform characters on a free account.

Not sure if anyone will get any use out of this, but whatever. I found out on accident when I canceled my sub right after subbing (to prevent auto-renewal) and then contacting Support about it.

That sounds like a really bad idea. I dunno if I'd recommend doing this as this really seems like gaming the system and I can't imagine cryptic liking that.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

To be fair a simple recurve bow is nothing unique.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

Manliest Anime Character?

I did make Kenshiro a while ago..

Though costume contests.. I never asked for this.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

Brain wave, let super speed run up walls, and let acrobatics wall jump.

This is quite literally the only good thing about DCUO. God drat those travel powers are so much fun there.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

meecrob posted:

Any idea when the Power Armor review will be?

Or the new martial arts animations. Everyone says they look cool but will they show us? Noooo...

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Maxmaps posted:

Noooo don't change Power Armor. I'm just getting my dude working and having several systems working at once just mows down poo poo. I feel like I really am Iron Man. :swoon:

Fakeedit: I do feel pretty much locked into my powerset cause nothing I've tried plays nice with my Power Armor powers at all.

Nothing plays with the PA powers not even half the PA powers. I don't think anyone could possibly argue with them revamping PA. It sort of works but good god does it not live upto what it should be.

Compare it to any other power set and it falls so flat on it's face it would make Iron Man hang up his suit forever. The fact that it doesn't synergize with itself it just ridiculous. What you use at level 10 is pretty much your power for the rest of the game since the higher level abilities just cost too much to use with the effective low level powers is just sad.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Oh poo poo two new unarmed archtypes?

gently caress

Yes

I wonder if there is any info on them yet.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

quote:

Hey guys -

I'm making the big powers checkin for the Unarmed pass right now, but we're still waiting on a handful of fixes from other people before it can go up. Robobo is hopeful that we'll be able to kick off a build around 9pm, so it might not make it up until tomorrow morning, depending on how long the build takes. Of course, it's also possible the build servers will explode and it won't be able to go up all weekend... but let's hope that doesn't happen.

In the meantime, here is an excerpt from the patch notes:
The Unarmed review is here! This is phase 1 of the PTS push, which currently includes many of the changes to existing powers, as well as 6 new Unarmed specific powers, and 2 new Shared Martial Arts powers. For this first pass, we have not hooked up any custom advantages to the new powers and are still using placeholder icons.
Unarmed: Vicious Strikes: (New!) This new power is an alternative Energy Builder for Unarmed Martial Artists.
Unarmed: One Hundred Hands: (New!) A new Tier 1 maintained attack that deals damage to targets in front of you with a rapid flurry of fists.
Unarmed: Backhand Chop: (New!) A quick backhanded strike, this Tier 2 power can Interrupt your foe.
Unarmed: Elbow Slam: (New!) This Tier 2 attack causes you to leap up into the air and slam down on you opponent with your elbow, attempting to Disorient them.
Unarmed: Leaping Uppercut: (New!) With this new Tier 3 single target attack, you leap up while punching your foe, which can Knock them up into the air.
Unarmed: Open Palm Strike: (New!) A new Tier 3 power is a double palm strike that can knock a single target back.
Martial Arts: Rising Knee: (New!) This Tier 2 power quickly strikes your opponent, knocking them off their feet.
Martial Arts: Shuriken Storm: (New!) With this Tier 3 power, you unleash shuriken in all directions while you maintain it.

As usual, once this goes up, we'll be patching PTS as often as we can with additional changes. We are expecting there to be further changes to existing powers that have not yet made it into this build, as well.

Looking forward to the feedback once it hits the PTS!

Man I cannot wait.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Bluhman posted:

Given how dodge chance works, Hundred Fists looks like it would completely rape most enemies on elite. Multiple hits in a single tick means that those hits are still going to do a lot of damage, even on dodge. In addition, hell, I'm almost certain hundred fists energy cost is substantially lower than that of chainsaw.

The thing about Open Palm is that the tap ignores knock resist, so even on full-stacked knock resist, your enemy is going to repeatedly fall down until you run out of energy or they die. Considering how unstoppable has an energy return with knockback...

Yeah hundred fists will be a great counter for dodging. Plus it is awesome as hell. I wonder what the advantage for it will be..

Sadly I cannot see Open Palm staying knockdown crazy.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

delfin posted:

Burning Chi Fists/Fists of Righteous Flame, then Hundred Fists. Four bonus ticks of damage per second, plus Burning Chi DoT, plus normal damage for each attack? Cleanup in Aisle 4.

Yeah this is what I was using on the test server and daaamn does it rock. All I have to say is

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This is gonna be really sad when you get all this and spend half your time yelling at your pets to stop running into walls and help you fight..

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Touche...

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Ok I love that.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Why do they keep giving me more slots.. I'll just make new characters!

I've had a lifetime sub since beta and I'm never gonna get to end game.
:negative:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Well level cap at least.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

delfin posted:

Patch notes are up for the latest update, and there's way too much poo poo in it to summarize so just read it.

(cherry-picking: they managed to make Amazing Grace WORSE. :stare:)

Who cares about Amazing Grace. What's important is that the completely overpowered unarmed attacks are completely awesome.

I popped on with my Kenshiro earlier and my god Hundred Hands is just insane with how fast it mutilates everything in front of it. Then you got the offensive clicky and the dimensional dots. Jesus man insane.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

So what's a good alternative to Super Reflexes on a character focusing on the new martial arts powers and stuff. I've got so many drat SR built characters I'd like to use something else but I can't really think of a good one. Regeneration was my second go to but it has been nerfed so hard it's painful to see it now.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

You mean Lightning Reflexes?

There's Way of the Warrior, but that's also a dodge passive.

Invulnerable or Defiance are good if you want to go defense. For offense there's not really anything else.

Hmm Defiance might be interesting or maybe unstoppable. Dodge gets boring after how good they made it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Wind, Earth, and Infernal all sound like real cool power sets that could be pretty sweet.

What new weapon set could they do? Like staffs or something?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Also they just announced all CO and STO lifers get access to the Neverwinter closed beta.

Woo double the beta!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

There's a new Until field report.

Imminent
Wizard and Witch Costume Set.

In Development
- Nighthawk event. The event includes a new set of missions where you investigate crime scenes. From the sound of it, depending how to do the mission you'll either fight Nighthawk or another villain. Launching with it are a new costume set, archetype, powers and Cape Glide travel power. And of course, one of the rewards from the missions is his jet vehicle.
- We're also getting auras in a dedicated costume slot. So like CoX, basically.
- C-Store coupons, exp gifting, etc.

On the schedule
- More vehicles. The system will include customization (Both cosmetic, and equipment/loadout), and vehicles will be usable on the current exterior maps, plus in special indoor vehicle missions.
- Lair updates
- Zone-wide events. Rift's rifts, basically

Design Discussion
- Large outdoor high level group events. Larger versions of the above
- Alerts stuff
- A sidekick pet system, similar to STO's bridge officer system
- More nemesis stuff
- Hideout expansion
- New Halloween event with a Victorian Steampunk costume set, and Wolf transformation travel power
- More Roi'nesh and Dr. Destroyer

The Future
- A new zone, Dr. Destroyer's island
- New neighborhoods in MC
- An actual end game
- Expanded level cap
- Supergroup leveling system, missions and bases
- Some kind of large war-zone on the moon, where you can become a Not Green Lantern and advance that

I am a fan of all these things and they sound interesting and cool.

What happened to the CO I used to know where every update was a new dumb transform device and one new lovely mission!?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

whatspeakyou posted:

Don't be this guy:

:stare:

Come on that is great.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

That's one thing I will never understand. Why did Atari buy Cryptic if all they wanted to do was destroy them? I just don't understand why they wanted to kill Cryptic so bad.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

General Maximus posted:

Indeed. The crafting skill improves your chance to succeed when fusing mods together to obtain higher rank mods, and nothing else. The costume pieces and devices that used to be obtained through crafting are now bought with drifter salvage, which at present only comes from lockboxes opened with store bought keys.

In short: Welcome to any PWE game, ever.

Can I do anything with all these crafting materials in my bank slots?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

OrangeSoda posted:

I think he's a homestuck character. No, seriously. I am pretty sure he is.

V Hell if I know.

I think this has become the go to response for unexplainable things on the internet. It's usually right to.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I just had some Chinese dude try to change my email to some random rear end hotmail account. Considering that I haven't played any cryptic games in months people might want to keep an eye out if PW lost a bunch of passwords.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

randombattle posted:

I just had some Chinese dude try to change my email to some random rear end hotmail account. Considering that I haven't played any cryptic games in months people might want to keep an eye out if PW lost a bunch of passwords.

Oh boy and now PW just decided to ban my account. I am so pissed at these fuckers for not doing jack loving poo poo about this, making me deal with it, and letting someone just change emails with out a email/password confirmation or anything, only to up and ban my account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I agree with the assessment that a superhero MMO would look like a waste of money to investors, although I disagree that CoX failed; game went on strong in its niche for eight years before being shut down largely due to OTHER games failing, I don't think that classifies as failure.

I think what you'd need is a smaller-budget setup, possibly trying to adapt it to the smaller online server stuff that's popular now rather than the conventional MMO server setups. MMOs aren't really something that pulls in the big bucks anymore unless it's a big property, and big pre-existing properties have been shown to be a bad thing for superhero MMOs anyway. So play lower, maybe, find alternatives that are both more popular and more workable while still keeping the same appeal.

Basically, take all the lessons learned from superhero MMOs and instead use them to punch ARK in the face somehow.

I don't think you could look at any of the superhero mmos as failing. Dcuo pulls in a lot and is still getting expansions and stuff. CoH made money and was popular enough for a sequel. Anyone pitching a superhero mmo has no shortages of things to point to show interest to someone.

Even champions has been successful enough to keep making content for. Compare it to like wildstar that just completely bombed out. Mmos are a complicated business but I really doubt anyone would look at superheroes as the reason for the reasons behind games like cox closing.