Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

kuffs posted:

I've seen those in person and they look like dogshit. The sleeve comes as one square piece that you have to wrap around the grip.

I personally use these http://www.amazon.com/Grab-On-Grips-Grip-Cover/dp/B000WJAH5M, which are similar to http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycles/GRIPPUP.html Trim to length, spray some soapy water on your grips / bar ends, and slide them on.

Bad URL. http://www.amazon.com/Grab-On-Grips-Grip-Cover/dp/B000WJAH5M

Cool, I'll check those out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I use those. Love em. Very comfy.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

I might have to get me a set.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Let me know how they work out, if you don't mind. I've still got the stock grips on my C14 and while I don't hate them, and suspect I may just need to fiddle with the brake lever adjustment, I'm not real thrilled with them. Other than the being heated part, because that's awesome.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I put some foam covers on and it makes a very noticeable difference on longer rides.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

astrollinthepork posted:

What about crampbusters? How do people feel about those?
One came with my Bandit from the PO, and I tried it last year on my trip to Montreal. Mostly, it was in the way when I didn't need it. I had it mounted on the inside of the grip, which is apparently the wrong place to put it :v: It's also the wider model:

I can imagine the slim model to be less of an annoyance,

but I figure if I was doing a lot of long trips I'd go for the Throttlemeister, or one of the clamp styles.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

BMW R1150something - ABS is an option.

RIP the R1150RS/R1200ST.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I have the long skinny Crampbuster and it's great. A cruise control would be nice but it's definitely better than nothing.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I've heard good things about this.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/go-cruise-throttle-control/
Might order one before my next trip.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 15, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's good enough to give you a break but don't expect it to be like cruise control. I had to tweak the throttle position fairly often but the break is still nice.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Retarded Pimp posted:

I've heard good things about this.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/go-cruise-throttle-control/
Might order one before my next trip.

Probably from me, it's awesome. Of course you have to adjust throttle occasionally but it becomes a no brainer soon enough.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I bought a kaoko cruise control for the 1290 - it seems like it'll be just right for long trips. Fits nicely behind the lever guards, so easy installation.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a Kaoko too and I quite like it but find the benefits over a throttlemeister minimal. I suppose if you're wearing gloves the are easier to grip than most other locks, but that's about it.

If I had to do it again, it'd probably come down to cost.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Apparently I've been so spoiled by my Givi saddle bags on my Fz1 that I now need a Givi N47 top case for REASONS. Actually there is a reason and that is my full face doesn't fit in my side bags due to all the crap I have on it. (GoPro and Sema Bluetooth). Thankfully the SW-Motech top rack will be an easy install. It bolts onto the holy gently caress super hard to line up and install bracket from my quick-lock racks which drove me to despair.

Has anyone installed a brake light kit in their hard luggage?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I haven't, but I have seen a 3rd brake light license plate frame several times before. Would that work for your FZ or too gawdy for your bike?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I've already "ruined it" by adding side bags. Adding more lights can't make it any worse right? RIGHT?!??!

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 20, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm sure I've seen a writeup on something similar, probably on ADVRider, it's a very ADVRider thing to do

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Doesn't Givi make light kits to add brake/turn signals to their cases? I would just use one of those.

Also, your FZ looks great with those cases on :allears:, I really need to finish up my other projects so I can start putting money towards a set of cases for mine.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Doesn't Givi make light kits to add brake/turn signals to their cases? I would just use one of those.

Also, your FZ looks great with those cases on :allears:, I really need to finish up my other projects so I can start putting money towards a set of cases for mine.

Mostly top cases.
http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/case-accessories/brake-light-kits

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 21, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I also think your bike looks fine with those cases.

Also a dope slap for me, since a license plate frame with a light would be significantly lower than your existing brake light :saddowns:

Lucky for him he's looking to put it on a top case! :buddy:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I bought my Givi case with the light kit pre-installed, but I haven't gotten around to wiring it up yet. It looks like it magnetizes in underneath the case or something so you can still remove it. I think if you don't have a topcase yet that's a pretty reasonable route because when I was looking into it before installing the light kits into the topcase looked like a real pain in the rear end.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I bought the Givi N46 with the brake lights already installed. Unfortunately, it's only the 4 small lights and not the sides. Admore Lights sells kits that I'm tempted to purchase.

Here's the case:

Here's the lighting kits I may buy because I have too much money.

For the side cases: http://admorelighting.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=145

For top box: http://admorelighting.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=51

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think the sidecase looks cool, BUT, since it would be quite a bit to the side of the signal lights I wonder if it would confuse mouth breathers behind you?

I'd just light the top box personally.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
My poor Speed Triple had a rock crack it's sump on my way to work the other day and even though Triumph gave the thumbs up after the repair, the engine feels a little worse for the wear. I'm now considering something that will be a little more suited to my use - Long commutes - and I'm pretty taken with the newer VFR1200F.. The general consensus seems to be a thumbs up for the 800, but there aren't really any thoughts on the 2010+ 1200. I should be able to trade in my Speed Triple and get a 2010 VFR1200F or FD for about $10k-12k. Is this going to be a big mistake?

For the record, I have done 35000 miles on the Speed Triple and love it dearly, but it doesn't suit rides that are 2 or more hours. It has been prone to niggles of late, and I'm still waiting for parts 4 months after someone drove into it, which really isn't selling the whole Triumph thing on me anymore. I'm not interested in the Tiger, it looks batshit weird to me, the same applies to all BMW tourers, apart from the r1150r.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Crayvex posted:

Admore Lights sells kits that I'm tempted to purchase.

I have an Admore kit installed on my Givi E52 topcase, I highly recommend them.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

sildargod posted:

My poor Speed Triple had a rock crack it's sump on my way to work the other day and even though Triumph gave the thumbs up after the repair, the engine feels a little worse for the wear. I'm now considering something that will be a little more suited to my use - Long commutes - and I'm pretty taken with the newer VFR1200F.. The general consensus seems to be a thumbs up for the 800, but there aren't really any thoughts on the 2010+ 1200. I should be able to trade in my Speed Triple and get a 2010 VFR1200F or FD for about $10k-12k. Is this going to be a big mistake?

For the record, I have done 35000 miles on the Speed Triple and love it dearly, but it doesn't suit rides that are 2 or more hours. It has been prone to niggles of late, and I'm still waiting for parts 4 months after someone drove into it, which really isn't selling the whole Triumph thing on me anymore. I'm not interested in the Tiger, it looks batshit weird to me, the same applies to all BMW tourers, apart from the r1150r.

Only things I can offer are that I dearly loved my 2000 VFR800 and that going from my SV650S to the VFR, granted with a couple bikes in between, gave me drat near everything I wanted coming from ~25k miles on my SV. If the VFR hadn't been such an electrics basketcase I'd probably still have it rather than the Concours. If it's anywhere near as good as the post vtec owners I talked to about the later 800s it's worth a test ride if you can. I couldn't find a dealer with one to test ride before I picked up the last year's holdover Concours that I grabbed last fall, VFR was definitely on my short list. Probably take this with a grain of salt since I did almost 25k miles on the SV with the stock seat, and 2+ hour rides on the DRZ aren't a huge deal for me. Wouldn't want to do a 2 hour commute every day on the DRZ, but I don't know that I would have replaced the SV just for that.

Edit: Or never mind, entirely probable they fall into the Honda hole of bikes that really should be excellent but aren't. Never rode one, really meant to, but maybe not.

drzrma fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 23, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'd recommend scouring the usual internet places (I.e. ADVRider) for firsthand accounts, but IIRC the general gist is that it's a weird bike that's unpopular for good reasons - the suspension is way soft and the engine much less exciting than you'd think, but the ergos are awkward on the sporty side. Also sidebags (which should be a given on a S-T bike) remain unincluded and eye-poppingly expensive. There's meaning to there being so many unsold NOS rides at deep discount.

It would not be my first choice if an FJR / ZZR option was available, and at the least I'd recommend a good sit on one before getting too lustful.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Cool, I wasn't sure, what with there being very few sensible reviews (IE : ones that didn't read like a :krock: Ken Rockwell review). I'm very disappointed to hear that the engine isn't that exciting, it's a goldamn V4 1200! How do you possibly mess that up? Gah!!

I had a sit on one this morning, and it didn't seem bad, given that I'm more accustomed to my Speed Triple, which is significantly firmer and harder on the spine. I will try and wrangle a test ride and see if it's able to, at the very least, match my S3 for entertainment value. What I do like is that I'm able to get them comparatively cheaper than other equivalent sport tourers which are much more common around here. Such decisions.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

sildargod posted:

There's a pretty good writeup on VFR 1200 ownership over at VFR World in the "7th Gen" forum. The guy has had it for over a year, so it's not just a 10 minute test drive.

General consensus is that it has teething pains stock (weird maps through first and second) and some gripes about fuel capacity. There are fixes for the mapping - either a box or a reflash. Prices are good too... there's a dealer by me which has a 2010 demonstrator with something like 4500 miles for $9500, and a leftover 2010 for $9999. Probably means you could get the demonstrator for $8k if you were serious about it.

Only thing I would be worried about is potential parts availability. I don't think it's part of the 2014 lineup, and with the VFR800 coming back it might just be orphaned.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Also it has a tiny gas tank and marginal range for what should be a sport touring bike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mungtor posted:

Only thing I would be worried about is potential parts availability. I don't think it's part of the 2014 lineup, and with the VFR800 coming back it might just be orphaned.
VFR1200 not in the 2014 lineup you mean? It is in Canada at least, albeit with an incredibly blah color this year.

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/sport/vfr1200fa

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

VFR1200 not in the 2014 lineup you mean? It is in Canada at least, albeit with an incredibly blah color this year.

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/sport/vfr1200fa

If you click on the VFR1200 here:

http://powersports.honda.com/street.aspx

it takes you to a page where it lists it as a 2012/2013 model.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/vfr1200f.aspx

It's possible they haven't updated the site yet, but the new 800 comes up as a 2014.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It is listed as a 2014 in Canada though which makes me think it's just not updated.. although it is almost through the year. Maybe they just didn't do it for the US for some reason? Overstock of old models?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

mungtor posted:

If you click on the VFR1200 here:

http://powersports.honda.com/street.aspx

it takes you to a page where it lists it as a 2012/2013 model.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/vfr1200f.aspx

It's possible they haven't updated the site yet, but the new 800 comes up as a 2014.

I was in a Honda dealership last week and he was trying to sell me on VFRs, said they were getting new 800s in next month and he had a used 2012 VFR1200 for ~10k, no mention of new VFR1200s though so I don't think they're coming to the US at least for 2015.

The 1200 I sat on just seemed like too big a bike for my purpose, I do a lot of relatively long distant riding since I'm in Texas and it's required to get anywhere interesting, but I also have an 8 mile commute to work everyday and the 1200 seems like it'd be a ridiculous pig for that. They didn't have an 800 to look at while I was there but at least spec wise it still seems like a pretty heavy bike, how nimble is it going to feel for commuting on surface streets and wrestling for spaces in parking lots? :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You would be surprised how a big (or small?) modern ST feels after you've been on them for a while. Sure, it's not 250 light but I've never had any issues at even the slowest speeds in parking lots or such. Not going to say they feel tiny (they don't), but not as big and heavy as you'd think.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

mungtor posted:

There's a pretty good writeup on VFR 1200 ownership over at VFR World in the "7th Gen" forum. The guy has had it for over a year, so it's not just a 10 minute test drive.

General consensus is that it has teething pains stock (weird maps through first and second) and some gripes about fuel capacity. There are fixes for the mapping - either a box or a reflash. Prices are good too... there's a dealer by me which has a 2010 demonstrator with something like 4500 miles for $9500, and a leftover 2010 for $9999. Probably means you could get the demonstrator for $8k if you were serious about it.

I think these quotes pretty much sum up VFR1200s:

Bart Madson, Motorcycle USA Managing Editor posted:

I didn’t expect to like the Yamaha as much as I did. I completely dig the VFR for its handling capability, I just feel zoned in on the Honda. But its MSRP is way too much for me, and I felt almost as comfortable on the less expensive FZ1. The Yamaha’s sporty brakes, suspension and engine are all way more than I’d ever want, or need, for a street bike. While I found the seat less than ideal, I did enjoy the upright riding position and the wind protection wasn’t far behind its fully-fared rivals. If I were shopping for a bike right now, a good deal on a new or slightly used FZ1 would seal the deal.

Ken Hutchinson, Motorcycle USA Editorial Director posted:

I really hate this question in our shootouts because it’s hard for me to make up my mind. I like the V-Four soul of the VFR, but it didn’t turn my crank like the FZ1 and it is so drat expensive. For some reason I just got along real well with this motorcycle throughout the entire test. It’s very similar to the Ninja 1000, which I also like, but it was a bit more comfortable for me. Plus, this bike is cheap, has a top-three engine, and I do enjoy taking the underdog.

So what I'm saying is, have you looked at FZ1s? (one of us ONE OF US)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Speaking of FZ1's I finished the SW-Motech rack install and mounted the top box. It looks um... really big...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, those big Givis are, well, uh, big. Set looks decent enough on your FZ1 though! Think of all the groceries you can buy now!

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

Were it not for the fact that I absolutely detest the looks of the fz1, it would be an option. That, and there being absolutely zero available on the second hand market. I have, however found a vfr with 6000 miles on it, all the luggage and a gps for $9200. So the majority of the negatives fall away? I can't imagine spending $17000+ on any bike, and I also can't get a zzr with less than 25000+ miles on it, and they also retail for $17000 new here. Eh, I am torn, but at this point, having sat on the bike, and finding a reasonably priced one to boot, I reckon I may try it out for size.
I will be giving my local dealership a very serious probe regarding parts availability and the like, though I can't imagine it could be any worse then my speed triple.
Is there anything I should worry about regarding the transmission and shaft drive? They're an alien technology to me, so I don't know about the reliability or what issues I could run into should they need repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

HotCanadianChick posted:

How are you liking the ABS model? :colbert:

sildargod posted:

Is there anything I should worry about regarding the transmission and shaft drive? They're an alien technology to me, so I don't know about the reliability or what issues I could run into should they need repairs.

Modern shaft drives work like this: they don't need repairs. Remember to change the gear oil in it every 50k or whatever the manual says and forget about it. That's the advantage of shaft over others.

Despite earlier waffling I'm pretty well boiled down to a Sprint ST or VFR800. It will come down to a test ride and which one pops up in clean shape on Ebay/Craigslist first.

Part of me really wants to get an adventure bike but the used market is next to nill save for rough and IMO overpriced KLRs and V-Stroms. So going that way would require financing new, and try as I might I just can't seem to talk myself into doing that.

If I were to get new and still stay budget concious I'd probably go for the Tiger 800. Though if I were to really hurt my wallet I'm at a loss for if I'd end up on the KTM 1190 or the new Aprilia Caponord. The auto mode for suspension looks really kick rear end on the Aprilia. Though something tells me being really impressed by Italian electronics is a recipe for disappointment :P

• Locked thread