Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If I go the concours route, I absolutely agree on the 10+ for that reason. I'd actually prefer a 10 over an 11.

That said, I'm keeping my options open. I'm still researching FJRs and hoping Skiers friends issues are a fluke. Even found an ST1300P (Police) model. The ST is probably last on my list but an all white with a factory Solo seat would be pretty drat :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

slidebite posted:

If I go the concours route, I absolutely agree on the 10+ for that reason. I'd actually prefer a 10 over an 11.

That said, I'm keeping my options open. I'm still researching FJRs and hoping Skiers friends issues are a fluke. Even found an ST1300P (Police) model. The ST is probably last on my list but an all white with a factory Solo seat would be pretty drat :c00l:

You could also do this - take the passenger seat off, leave the front half for the rider, and toss this on the rear.
http://www.corbin.com/honda/st13smug.shtml

The upside is you could do it to any ST1300, and not limit yourself to just the police model. Also, if you wanted to carry a pillion, it's easy to reverse. The ST1300P uses a slightly different frame underneath the pillion seat, and has to be replaced or modified to take a stock pillion seat.

I know the bike isn't high on your list, but just tossing the information out there. :) If I were buying brand new today, I'd probably be riding a Concourse home.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey, thanks for that link. I didn't know that actually existed. I heard years ago that Corbin was doing it, but most (including myself) were skeptical that they ever would. Glad to see the eventually did and actually looks pretty drat sharp!

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Does anyone have any recommendations on luggage? I just picked up an F800ST but it didn't come with panniers. Not real high on the stock panniers, not to mention their ungodly price. I like this Nelson Rigg kit (picture below) and they seem to have pretty good reviews, plus the price is right -- $250 for a giant rear end tail bag + saddlebags.

edit: Here's a picture of my bike, wheeee. I like that it has a dry weight of only 412 lbs, even with fairings and all of that fun stuff that comes with a sport tourer. My only real so far is that the throttle is pretty jumpy in 1st gear at low RPMs. I may install a booster plug which supposedly fixes that issue, but it hasn't bugged me enough yet to need to do anything about it. Also, it kind of sounds like a vacuum cleaner until you get it up to speed.

[panic] fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 19, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kind of a long shot, but thought I'd ask:

Any Kelowna BC goons here? There is a bike there I'm really interested in, but don't want to make that trip unless it's a for sure deal. I was wondering if someone would be interested in taking a look at it for me.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

slidebite posted:

Kind of a long shot, but thought I'd ask:

Any Kelowna BC goons here? There is a bike there I'm really interested in, but don't want to make that trip unless it's a for sure deal. I was wondering if someone would be interested in taking a look at it for me.

I'm living in Kelowna. Whats up?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrZig posted:

I'm living in Kelowna. Whats up?
There is a bike there that I'm interested in and wondering if someone a little more local could to look at it for me.

I was going to PM but I see you don't have it. Maybe fire me an email if you don't mind?

Thanks

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 29, 2011

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Picked up a VFR 800 this weekend to supplement the DRZ.

'06, 9000 kms, hard bags, tank bag, new tires.

I'm in love with this thing and with my upcoming vacation time I think I'm going to ride her to ontario and back (~ 3300km each way).
Based on my 1300 km ride home I just ordered a taller Givi windscreen and throttlemeister knockoff, also going to pick up a pair of padded bike shorts (got a groupon for a bicycle store).

This is my first trip of this size, I plan on camping on my way there and then visiting family for a few days to heal up before the ride home.

Things I'm planning on taking:
- obvious clothes, etc
- tools, maintenance manual
- chain lube (?)
- tent, sleeping bag, etc stuff (will be in garbage bags and wrapped in bike cover, bungeed to passenger seat)
- rain gear to go over bike gear, long underwear, etc
- camera, gopro (going to set it to take intermittent pictures then stitch them into one video of the entire trip)
- u-lock, considering one of those alarms with a tilt/shock sensor
- first aid kit
- earplugs, noise isolating headphones

In addition I'll be getting the oil changed right before I leave and doing the usual pre-ride stuff (tires, brakes, etc)

Any thoughts on what else I should be bringing or any other maintenance I should look into before taking off?

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
I don't know your wrenching skill level, but for that long of a trip personally I would bring it to a dealer and have them give it a full once over before leaving, especially since you just took possession of the bike. At a very minimum, find a dealer checklist for a 10,000 km service and do all of that.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
This is a portion of my own pre-trip maintenance plans for next year. It may be overkill since my trip's going to be 20k miles, but make of it what you will:

Clean and lube chain
Oil change
Change spark plugs
Regrease axles
Service swingarm linkage; repack bearings and all that
Repack steering stem bearings
Check chain tension, sprocket condition, and rear wheel alignment
Inspect tires for any foreign objects (nails and such)
Inspect and bleed brakes
Inspect/lube clutch, choke, and throttle cables

I'm sure there're other things you can do, but I can't recall them at the moment.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

AncientTV posted:

This is a portion of my own pre-trip maintenance plans for next year. It may be overkill since my trip's going to be 20k miles, but make of it what you will:

Clean and lube chain
Oil change
Change spark plugs
Regrease axles
Service swingarm linkage; repack bearings and all that
Repack steering stem bearings
Check chain tension, sprocket condition, and rear wheel alignment
Inspect tires for any foreign objects (nails and such)
Inspect and bleed brakes
Inspect/lube clutch, choke, and throttle cables

I'm sure there're other things you can do, but I can't recall them at the moment.

Color me confused. Don't the wheels spin on bearings which rest on the axles? Why grease the axle? Corrosion protection?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I assume when you say swingarm linkage you also include the swingarm pivot?

And grease on the axles prevents them binding when you try to remove them.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

I assume when you say swingarm linkage you also include the swingarm pivot?

Indeed, shame on me for being brief. Is there anything else along that line of preventative/just-because maintenance that I left off?

edit: I guess you could check your valve clearance and sync your carbs, but that seems a bit unnecessary between service intervals.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 9, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

AncientTV posted:

edit: I guess you could check your valve clearance and sync your carbs, but that seems a bit unnecessary between service intervals.
Yeah, that's a little over the top IMHO. As long as you maintain your bike during the year, unless your trip happens to coincide with a major service interval, to be honest I'd pretty much do the basics and go.

Pay close attention to how it rides in the preceding weeks. Other than that, check tires and pressure, recent oil change and fluids, check filters, check brakes for wear.. and that's about 99% of what I'd ever do.

Now, 20K miles, yeah, I'd probably be a little anal too. :)

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I have an 01 Bandit 1200s and it's awesome. They are also stupidly cheap for how much bike they are. Granted I have put some money in de-cheapening it with some brake lines, suspension work and exhaust/jet. But no 'budget' line bike is perfect from factory.

My biggest gripe for the bandit: subframe! The mounting points for the grab bar (and where my topcase rack bolted onto) are small tabs welded to the main subframe. After a couple months of topcase use they broke off, and I am luggage-less. Not having a good hard luggage option sucks for a tourer/commuter =[

edit: I suppose that's easy metal to weld back... but it would have to line up juuuuust right

Also, if I had lots of money I'd get a K1600 GT

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 9, 2011

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

"[panic posted:

"]
Does anyone have any recommendations on luggage? I just picked up an F800ST but it didn't come with panniers. Not real high on the stock panniers, not to mention their ungodly price. I like this Nelson Rigg kit (picture below) and they seem to have pretty good reviews, plus the price is right -- $250 for a giant rear end tail bag + saddlebags.

I have that same Nelson Rigg kit. I'm quite happy with them. The only issue that I've ever had is that I lost a rain cover for one of the saddlebags on the highway one day. But I attribute that to putting them on too hastily.

Plus, Nelson Rigg has great customer service.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What can you guys tell me about the BMW K75? My first ride was a triple, so I kind of have a soft spot for 3cyls. As far as I know they have a reputation for reliability.

I am kind of curious about the RPM it turns at 80mph.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

clutchpuck posted:

You could probably use the information on here plugged into this to get a pretty close figure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Getting ready for a week long trip to Utah early next month and picked up a set of bag liners from TLC for my ST.
http://www.tlcproducts.com/servlet/StoreFront

Most are around $40. Mine were still only $44 ($54 shipped to Canada) and I must say I'm drat impressed for the price. Fit like a glove in the hard luggage and seem to be built very well with heavy material and internal waterproof pockets for important stuff.

Pick up a set if they make them for your bike. You won't be disappointed.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

slidebite posted:

Getting ready for a week long trip to Utah early next month and picked up a set of bag liners from TLC for my ST.

I got the "wide" style ones, and I love them. Like you said, well built, and cheap too. I toss a change of clothes in one and carry it with me while commuting in case I get caught in bad weather or something happens and I need a change of clothes at work.

Also, I recommend liners for anyone who travels two up - they help a lot when it's time to pack since my wife gets one bag, I get the other, and she knows that whatever she can fit in that bag, she can bring with her. This can prevent you having to tell your pillion what she can and can't bring, which will never end well.

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 10, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Raven457 posted:

I got the "wide" style ones, and I love them. Like you said, well built, and cheap too. I toss a change of clothes in one and carry it with me while commuting in case I get caught in bad weather or something happens and I need a change of clothes at work.

Also, I recommend liners for anyone who travels two up - they help a lot when it's time to pack since my wife gets one bag, I get the other, and she knows that whatever she can fit in that bag, she can bring with her. This can prevent you having to tell your pillion what she can and can't bring, which will never end well.

Yeah, mine are the wide style too. Really tough to go wrong with the price. I can see them being used every single time I hit the highway. The kinda rubberized inside of the fabric probably makes them pretty drat water repellent too in case something gets past the shell.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

What can you guys tell me about the BMW K75? My first ride was a triple, so I kind of have a soft spot for 3cyls. As far as I know they have a reputation for reliability.

Kind of on the big side, cause it is a BMW, a little more topheavy than the boxers, but a nice smooth engine and I think it'll do 80 comfortably all day. Some reliability issues, mostly minor. Important to know if the bike has had its clutch and driveshaft splines greased, if the mileage is over like 50k. Needs to be done to prevent expensive drivetrain damage.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Edit: drat I'm a retard.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 23, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Infinotize posted:

I have an 01 Bandit 1200s and it's awesome. They are also stupidly cheap for how much bike they are. Granted I have put some money in de-cheapening it with some brake lines, suspension work and exhaust/jet. But no 'budget' line bike is perfect from factory.

My biggest gripe for the bandit: subframe! The mounting points for the grab bar (and where my topcase rack bolted onto) are small tabs welded to the main subframe. After a couple months of topcase use they broke off, and I am luggage-less. Not having a good hard luggage option sucks for a tourer/commuter =[

edit: I suppose that's easy metal to weld back... but it would have to line up juuuuust right

Should have got the first gen :smuggo: i can hang my Bandit by the rear grab bars

Kidding, we need to start a bandit krew (aka the bang for the buck crew).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phat_Albert posted:

Kidding, we need to start a bandit krew (aka the bang for the buck crew).

I just got one. '02 600. Amazed at what I could get for 3k. Make a thread.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ziploc posted:

I just got one. '02 600. Amazed at what I could get for 3k. Make a thread.

I got an '02 1200 for 3k. I love this thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Whelp, did the deed and found a 2010 connie ABS/KTRK. Just finished a 1100KM ride home with it (had 1400kms on the clock when I bought it!)

Couple of observations:

The factory seat is terrible. I most definitely will be buying a Corbin, or something, anything, during the winter for it. A porcupine rug would probably feel better. Actually, a Corbin with a snuggler trunk would probably fit the bill nicely.

The power is something, well, different. Compared to the ST1100 which had a flat power curve like a hyphen, this thing absolutely takes off like a rocket once it hits about 4-5K. And it sounds glorious doing it. Below 4K though it feels like its taking it time though. It certainly does have pick up and you generally don't have to kick down from 6th/OD unless you really want to, but it's a freaking Jekyll and Hyde difference.

Gas gauge is a little conservative. I hit the last notch on the gauge @ approx 280KMs using the econo fuel mapping (even though I heard its legs were about the smallest out of all the current true bred STs, it still surprised me). However I found on filling it up it still had 1/3 of a tank. Well, better that way than the other I guess.

The KPASS or whatever the hell its called keyless ignition is a gimmick and I wish it would loving go away. I would pay money for it to be gone.

Surprised the hell out of me the speedo is strictly metric, no MPH at all. Kind of sucks but not the end of the world obviously.

Gauge cluster is nice. Fuel economy, range, tire pressure, outside temp, yadda all seem to work really well and are handy.

Fairing and adjustable windshield do their job well.

Original owner had some handlebar risers put in. Tough to say if I'll keep them. Once I get the new seat in I'll re-evaluate.

Any questions fire away.

Here is a few pics after I cleaned it up today next to its forerunner.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I got an '02 1200 for 3k. I love this thing.

Yeah, I got my 01 1200 with 12k miles for 2750. Later found the guy posting on some forum about how he made money off me. Whatever!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Infinotize posted:

Yeah, I got my 01 1200 with 12k miles for 2750. Later found the guy posting on some forum about how he made money off me. Whatever!

Would you say you made out like a... BANDIT?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

slidebite posted:

Risers indeed. Any higher and you're entering into chopper territory.

Maybe that's why the seat is uncomfortable? Seems kinda odd that such a highly rated ST bike would have a lovely seat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, I'm certainly not alone in trashing the OEM seat. The concours forums absolutely disdain them as well.

HOWEVER, the risers are coming off. I took the ST1100 out for a rip this afternoon and the lower bars really do feel much more natural and comfortable. The risers are "only" about an inch-ish, so I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make, but it can't hurt. Worst case scenario I put them back on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I might be eating my words. Those risers were almost 1-3/4" and the difference is noticeable. I can feel my arms supporting more weight. Will it be enough? Tough to say. I do know that the seat is pretty much universally panned so I'm not expecting a miracle, but it might be good "enough"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Did a couple hundred miles today on my ST2 to see if it would throw a belt or catch fire, and it didn't throw a belt or catch fire!!! Surprisingly comfortable, too. And surprisingly fuel efficient when not riding like a total dong, which I had always done previously because I wasn't just cruising on the interstate. And I passed a Concours. Kawasaki so slow. :smug:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Gnaghi posted:

Seems kinda odd that such a highly rated ST bike would have a lovely seat.

:iiam:

The stock seat on the Honda ST1300 is a piece of poo poo too, had to have Spencer over in Florida mod mine before it was halfway decent.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I'm slowly starting to get things in order for the two big trips I'm taking near the end of October. Pretty bummed that these are probably the only two I'll get to make this year. It feels wrong somehow to have the ST1300 and to not take it out on longer trips. With any luck next year will be better, now that I'm working at a much nicer place and should have a bit of PTO saved up by then.

The bike is due for an oil change in less than 2,000 miles, so it will get a fresh gallon of Rotella T-6 synthetic, a new oil filter, and a new air filter before the first trip. The final drive is due for a drain and fill, too. Tires were replaced about 1,000 miles ago, so there will be plenty of meat on them for the trips. I'll also be preemptively replacing the battery, since it's at least 3 - 4 years old, is some no-name brand, and I'm not sure I trust it.

I've picked up an Aquabox to stuff my Garmin Nuvi 780 into, so no more Ziploc baggies. Initial test fits have been good, and the touch screen works really well underneath the Aquabox's protective shield.

I also grabbed a Cortech Super 18 magnetic tank bag to replace the Cortech Mini I have been using. It's a huge bag and it hits the bars at full lock (random horn blowing for the win), but that shouldn't really be much of an issue once out of the parking lot. There are two wire passthroughs on the bag, but I don't want to run my power cable through either of them, so something like this will be in order - http://www.powerlet.com/product/luggage-electrix-connector/286. Once installed, it will feed power to the Garmin and a USB charger for my phone from the BlueSea fused power block I've installed under the pillion seat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I haven't done *any* trips this year, save my delivery trip on the Concours last week.

Let me know about that Aquabox and mount. I would like to mount a GPS as well for road trips but I don't want to get a special bike only unit. Being able to use my car Nuvi would be great.

I don't know if preemptively changing a battery out because it's no name is something I'd do personally. As long as you use a tender over the down season I don't think I'd worry until I start getting warning signs. Worse comes to worse, you can even buy one at Wal-mart if you're out on the road on the slim chance it outright dies.

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009

slidebite posted:

Let me know about that Aquabox and mount. I would like to mount a GPS as well for road trips but I don't want to get a special bike only unit. Being able to use my car Nuvi would be great.

You can always build a box and mount! This is a iPhone pelican case hacked to accept a droid phone, 4 bolts, and RAM mount parts. Cost less than 50 bucks. I now have GPS, music, and a cell phone charger all in a waterproof case.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
So I've been meaning to ask about GPS and mounts myself. I was in the dealer today, he happened to be installing a Garmin mount on a Daytona 675. He insists that if I want GPS I should shell out for one of the motorcycle-designed ones - he recommends the Garmin zumo 550. (He's not trying to sell it to me.) But why are moto-oriented GPS's so much more expensive than car GPS? Is water and shock resistance that costly?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Also - how do touch screens work at all with gloves on? I'm guessing they don't. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Snowdens Secret posted:

So I've been meaning to ask about GPS and mounts myself. I was in the dealer today, he happened to be installing a Garmin mount on a Daytona 675. He insists that if I want GPS I should shell out for one of the motorcycle-designed ones - he recommends the Garmin zumo 550. (He's not trying to sell it to me.) But why are moto-oriented GPS's so much more expensive than car GPS? Is water and shock resistance that costly?
I think the increased cost is mostly waterproofing. Maybe a bit for shock resistance.

Backov posted:

Also - how do touch screens work at all with gloves on? I'm guessing they don't. :)
They work just fine. I've got a Garmin 2610 and have never had an issue with the touch screen with gloves on.

• Locked thread