Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backov
Mar 28, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

I think the increased cost is mostly waterproofing. Maybe a bit for shock resistance.

They work just fine. I've got a Garmin 2610 and have never had an issue with the touch screen with gloves on.

Ya I just know my phone doesn't work well with gloves.. I guess they've got magic touch screen tech that works with gloves. Good to know, I've got to get a bike GPS unit soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Backov posted:

Ya I just know my phone doesn't work well with gloves.. I guess they've got magic touch screen tech that works with gloves. Good to know, I've got to get a bike GPS unit soon.
There's essentially two touchscreen technologies: capacitive and resistive. Pretty much any phone made since the original iPhone will have a capacitive screen which needs a current from your body to work properly, hence not working through gloves (unless they have some sort of conductive material between your fingers and the outside of the glove). Resistive screens are basically thin sheets of material that create a connection when touched together, so you can use anything. I think most GPSes use these since they're cheaper and a much older tech.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Apparently you can mod your gloves to work with capacitive screens by sewing in some conductive thread into the finger tips.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-A-Glove-Work-With-A-Touch-Screen/#step1

Thread is pretty cheap here - http://sternlab.org/store/

I haven't tried it myself, but it can't be that hard to do.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

So I've been meaning to ask about GPS and mounts myself. I was in the dealer today, he happened to be installing a Garmin mount on a Daytona 675. He insists that if I want GPS I should shell out for one of the motorcycle-designed ones - he recommends the Garmin zumo 550. (He's not trying to sell it to me.) But why are moto-oriented GPS's so much more expensive than car GPS? Is water and shock resistance that costly?

The 550 also has big fat glove friendly buttons. A buddy of mine has one and loves it.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

I've been eyeing the Triumph Sprint GT as a potential candidate for my next primary ride. It looks pretty great and less expensive all-around.

But the final drive is a chain. On one hand, that's a lot of fiddling for a bike that's supposed to sop up miles. On the other hand, they've mitigated a good bit of the fiddle with the single sided swingarm and eccentric axle carrier.

Do any of you guys tour on a chain drive? Is it as much of a pain as I think?

I own a 2009 Triumph Sprint ST ABS.

Here are 10 things you need to know before you buy a Sprint:

1. They depreciate worse than any other major brand. I paid $6,700 for a 2009 with 6k miles on it this spring. Do not buy a new Triumph, it will be worth half in 2 years.
2. Build Quality is iffy. You will have stupid issues like bolts that are cross-threaded from the factory, wires that are stripped too far and stick out of connectors, bearings that are not greased and hoses that are not clamped down tightly.
3. Any part you want no mater how seemingly common it ought to be will require a 2-5 week wait and parts are not cheap.
4. There is virtually zero aftermarket support for Sprints, be it seats or exhausts, your choices are limited and expensive.
5. Triumph loves Special Triumph Tools. You'll have to deal with 46mm sockets, massive snap rings, and giant torx screws. Expect lots of show stoppers the first time if you do your own repairs/service.
6. Triumph service procedures require replacing tons of reusable parts like said snap rings, screws, seals etc. Those parts are stupidly expensive and your dealer will happily perform all service by the book.
7. As a result of the above your 12k mile service will cost $800 at a dealer.
8. There are no truly good maintenance manuals. The Haynes is terrible. The online community doesn't have many how-to guides.
9. Sprint instrument panel sucks. Your speed display is analog with impossible to read numbers, your digital display is worthless and can only display one thing at a time (IE: Time, Distance to Empty, AVG MPG, etc).
10. The Sprint online community is awful. Seriously - it's a bunch of old guys circle-jerking each other and squelching any discussion they don't like because one of them is a mod. You'll see the same 5-7 guys posting over and over and over and dog piling anyone else.

With that said, the Sprint is a fantastic bike and by far the sportiest sport touring bike you can get. It's cheap compared to other bikes and if you do the maintenance yourself it's not expensive to own. It was half as expensive as any other bike that I was excited about. I absolutely love the bike, I just wish it didn't spend 4 weeks of the summer waiting for replacement parts.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
FYI guys the fuel tank on MY DUC has a perfectly flat top so I can eat lunch on it without getting off the bike.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

FYI guys the fuel tank on MY DUC has a perfectly flat top so I can eat lunch on it without getting off the bike.

Just don't get any corn oil on it or it'll start expanding like crazy

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Raven457 posted:

Apparently you can mod your gloves to work with capacitive screens by sewing in some conductive thread into the finger tips.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-A-Glove-Work-With-A-Touch-Screen/#step1

Thread is pretty cheap here - http://sternlab.org/store/

I haven't tried it myself, but it can't be that hard to do.

It works great, I did it with my gloves. My iPhone sits in a ram mount attached to my clipons and I can press buttons on the screen and all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FileNotFound, although I'm not considering a Sprint I have to commend you on your post. I like a good list of gripes that ends with praise.

As for capacitive touch screens, if you don't want to mod your gloves you can keep a sausage in your tank bag and use that instead. Gives you a bit longer reach as well.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

FileNotFound, although I'm not considering a Sprint I have to commend you on your post. I like a good list of gripes that ends with praise.

As for capacitive touch screens, if you don't want to mod your gloves you can keep a sausage in your tank bag and use that instead. Gives you a bit longer reach as well.

I have this problem. What kind of sausage do you recommend?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Ola posted:

Isn't all car/bike ownership a love and hate relationship?

I love the bike, just hate the build quality and poor support which ultimately is a separate issue from the bike itself.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

FileNotFound posted:

I own a 2009 Triumph Sprint ST ABS.

Here are 10 things you need to know before you buy a Sprint:

1. They depreciate worse than any other major brand. I paid $6,700 for a 2009 with 6k miles on it this spring. Do not buy a new Triumph, it will be worth half in 2 years.
2. Build Quality is iffy. You will have stupid issues like bolts that are cross-threaded from the factory, wires that are stripped too far and stick out of connectors, bearings that are not greased and hoses that are not clamped down tightly.
3. Any part you want no mater how seemingly common it ought to be will require a 2-5 week wait and parts are not cheap.
4. There is virtually zero aftermarket support for Sprints, be it seats or exhausts, your choices are limited and expensive.
5. Triumph loves Special Triumph Tools. You'll have to deal with 46mm sockets, massive snap rings, and giant torx screws. Expect lots of show stoppers the first time if you do your own repairs/service.
6. Triumph service procedures require replacing tons of reusable parts like said snap rings, screws, seals etc. Those parts are stupidly expensive and your dealer will happily perform all service by the book.
7. As a result of the above your 12k mile service will cost $800 at a dealer.
8. There are no truly good maintenance manuals. The Haynes is terrible. The online community doesn't have many how-to guides.
9. Sprint instrument panel sucks. Your speed display is analog with impossible to read numbers, your digital display is worthless and can only display one thing at a time (IE: Time, Distance to Empty, AVG MPG, etc).
10. The Sprint online community is awful. Seriously - it's a bunch of old guys circle-jerking each other and squelching any discussion they don't like because one of them is a mod. You'll see the same 5-7 guys posting over and over and over and dog piling anyone else.

With that said, the Sprint is a fantastic bike and by far the sportiest sport touring bike you can get. It's cheap compared to other bikes and if you do the maintenance yourself it's not expensive to own. It was half as expensive as any other bike that I was excited about. I absolutely love the bike, I just wish it didn't spend 4 weeks of the summer waiting for replacement parts.

:psyduck:

That's a crazy list. Only the parts availability issue affects the new Bonnevilles.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I have an Arkon mount on my bike that holds my phone:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YGGFOW
It doesn't show in the product image, but it comes with the mechanism to mount on your handlebars as well.

My phone's capacitative touch screen works great through the plastic with bare hands, but only so-so with gloves. I'm getting some of that conductive thread to see if that's any better.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ Is there a passthrough for a cord?

I just did a 5 hour ride to Great Falls and back. I can say that the bars without the risers indeed DOES make the seat better. It must have changed the geometry of my fat rear end enough to be noticeable, but it's still far from ideal for a 2+ hour trip. A corbin is still going to be ordered over the winter I think.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

slidebite posted:

^^ Is there a passthrough for a cord?

I just did a 5 hour ride to Great Falls and back. I can say that the bars without the risers indeed DOES make the seat better. It must have changed the geometry of my fat rear end enough to be noticeable, but it's still far from ideal for a 2+ hour trip. A corbin is still going to be ordered over the winter I think.

Yeah there's a hole for a passthrough, but it doesn't line up that well with my headphones since my headphones have an angled plug. However, there are two zipper pulls on the zipper chain and I just close the zippers around my headphone cord. I'll use the passthrough for a charger if I ever figure out how to put an outlet on my bike.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So i'm going to be checking out a 99 Honda VFR, it has ~42k miles, and hes looking at 2700$ It got bumped off craigslist so I can't repost it.

Mods:

- upgraded regulator/rectifier
- corbin seat
- Micron exhaust pipe + original muffler
- Original seat also included
- was told it got oil change, new brake pads, and new chain 200 miles ago.

Anything else to really look out for on these? I'm not really concerned about the mileage since these engines should outlast me, and watching all the youtube videos makes me really want to listen to that gear driven cam whine.

No idea on the tires but I might negotiate on the price a bit if they're pretty badly worn.

I wish this played longer it's so cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoOUqYOlWtY&feature=related

infraboy fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 16, 2011

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

infraboy posted:

So i'm going to be checking out a 99 Honda VFR, it has ~42k miles, and hes looking at 2700$ It got bumped off craigslist so I can't repost it.

The VFR needs it's valve clearances checked every 16k. This means this bike would have had it done twice by now. Ask for records. If he says he did it himself but didn't record the values - he probably didn't do it. Not really a huge issue, but it's expensive at the dealer so it's a bargaining point.

Also check all coolant hoses for cracks. If it's been ridden a lot and stored outside, they may have oxidized pretty badly by now.

Other than that, all the regular crap, good oil seals on shocks, good bearings on wheels, no rust in tank, no air in brake lines etc..

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Question for those who ride long distances! Is there anything you can put just on top of a stock seat to improve comfort for long days? I once saw a guy with a tshirt or something on top of the seat out on the interstate, and made me wonder if there is anything like that which is generally recommended? I'm thinking more like gel pads (like the mouse pad things but larger?) or maybe cheaper eg a folded up towel..

Basically as I just bought a new bike I can't justify an aftermarket seat just now. While the stocker seems pretty ok on my Tuono I've got a 3 day ride coming up and I'll bet it'll get tiring anyway.

Edit - just googled and saw there are gel pads for bikers. I guess I was after solutions in the 'extremely cheap or free' category.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 17, 2011

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I've had a couple cruiser guys swear by those sheepskin pads but they're surprisingly expensive and they'd look outright preposterous on a Tuono.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
You could give cycling shorts or something like this a try.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 17, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ibuprofen and bicycle shorts are how I do long days on the KTM or a dirtbike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've had a couple cruiser guys swear by those sheepskin pads but they're surprisingly expensive and they'd look outright preposterous on a Tuono.

I too have heard a lot of guys swear by sheepskin. A lot of them for the very reason you have, don't want to spend big bucks on a fancy saddle so they go with a cover on the OEM seat.

Most here are $50-ish

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/the-template/application/Page

That's not "use a bath towel I already have" cheap, but it's pretty reasonable.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

AncientTV posted:

You could give cycling shorts or something like this a try.

I swear by those LD Comfort shorts. I hear bicycling shorts work well too, but the biggest thing I've found is to not wear cotton underoos. Cotton means monkeybutt, especially if you're sweating.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Skier posted:

I swear by those LD Comfort shorts. I hear bicycling shorts work well too, but the biggest thing I've found is to not wear cotton underoos. Cotton means monkeybutt, especially if you're sweating.

I've always heard it referred to by it's more technical description, "swampass"

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
There's also those inflatable cusions, but they're not cheap.

Just get your rear end out of the seat a lot, that'll already help a ton.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

KARMA! posted:

There's also those inflatable cusions, but they're not cheap.

Just get your rear end out of the seat a lot, that'll already help a ton.

Yeah just standing up on your pegs every 50 miles or so usually does this trick. Plus if you're rear end is really starting to hurt it's probably a good time to stop for a break anyway.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

ought ten posted:

Yeah just standing up on your pegs every 50 miles or so usually does this trick. Plus if you're rear end is really starting to hurt it's probably a good time to stop for a break anyway.

I think this plus I already have some shorts from track days is going to be it for me.

Thanks for the advice, I am still thinking about the sheepskin, I figure I have to be able to find it cheaper somewhere and may be able to cut it to size. It will look out of place on my bike... but I'd rather have the comfort.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Or one of those bead mats cheap taxi drivers all used to use, cut to size.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GanjamonII posted:

Question for those who ride long distances! Is there anything you can put just on top of a stock seat to improve comfort for long days?

I had a sheep skin cover and a bead seat for my old Vulcan. I liked the bead seat better in general because it kept my rear end unfunky and drained rain off the seat right under me, but when it gets cold the sheepskin feels nice.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, I'm gonna say I have a tourer now. I got the jetting on my b1200 a bit closer, and I'm up into the 50mpg range. That means I can go from El Paso to Albuquerque on one tank of gas. Fumes into ABQ, but one tank nonetheless.

Still, that round trip isn't a great deal of fun; I'll try to find some sheepskin or beaded cover or something. Maybe look into moving pegs or bars to fit my frame better.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just bit the bullet and ordered a Corbin seat for the Concours. I didn't bother with a rear seat but I did order a smuggler trunk which certainly inflated the invoice a little bit. A guy on a Connie forum ordered one for his black 2009 and it seems like the bees knees. I didn't bother ordering a Corbin passanger seat as Mrs. Slidebite never really rides, so the rare time she might I'll just put the OEM seat back on. It's about a 45 second change over.

Also ordered a Kaoko Throttle lock as I really missed not having one. I have a Throttlemeister on the ST1100 but I understand there are a couple of niggling issues with the 2010+ Concours because of the factory heated grips.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 20, 2011

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

slidebite posted:

snuggler trunk.

I know its probably a typo (Smuggler trunk?) but this is the cutest drat name for a product ever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

haha - not really because I actually thought it really WAS "Snuggler" :3:

I had to go back to the Corbin website to double check!

Now I'm sad. :smith:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The throttlemeister imho is the best throttle lock especially considering the cost.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

The throttlemeister imho is the best throttle lock especially considering the cost.

150$ for a machined bar end? gently caress that...vista cruise all the way. 30$ and you can flip it on and off with your thumb, rather than having to rotate the bar end with the side of your hand.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You guys are ghetto with your throttle locks.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/k11cruise/k11cruiseInstall.shtml

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Ooops I meant a vista cruise. I have a throttlemeister on my Aprilia which I did not purchase and I consider it a silly waste of money.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You guys are ghetto with your throttle locks.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/k11cruise/k11cruiseInstall.shtml

Call it needless paranoia but I really don't like the idea of being in a situation where I slam the throttle shut and the bike keeps trucking on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I don't think I've seen anyone post about it in this thread.Edit: Pope Mobile owns one.

Does the Yamaha FZ600 count as a sport tourer? What do people think about it? How does it compare to other bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

Call it needless paranoia but I really don't like the idea of being in a situation where I slam the throttle shut and the bike keeps trucking on.

Why? Do you feel that way about cars too? I think cruise control would be awesome on a touring machine. Endless straight highway just hit cruise and.. cruise. Would help relieve pressure on my horrible right shoulder, that's for sure.

Obviously you wouldn't use it in town or on a twisty road, and I'm sure that if you hit the brakes it shuts off.

• Locked thread