Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Adds the ability to sync contacts and calendars between a Mac and iOS device using a USB connection

If this isn't just adding that back into iTunes, then: weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I know I've seen this asked before, so my apologies in advance: does anyone have a rough idea of how long it takes for the App Store to serve new OS X builds these days? I recall in years past that if I tried with Mountain Lion or Lion that it would still pull older versions a few days later.

I'm just wondering how quickly I can get 10.9.3 installation media put together. I'd like it before I wipe a family member's machine this weekend, but it's not the end of the world if it's not possible by then.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Oh good, they made life easy for those of us in the non-dev beta program - it appears in software update :toot:

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 15, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I know I've seen this asked before, so my apologies in advance: does anyone have a rough idea of how long it takes for the App Store to serve new OS X builds these days? I recall in years past that if I tried with Mountain Lion or Lion that it would still pull older versions a few days later.

I'm just wondering how quickly I can get 10.9.3 installation media put together. I'd like it before I wipe a family member's machine this weekend, but it's not the end of the world if it's not possible by then.

Looks like they're on the ball with this, the Mavericks package I just redownloaded from the App Store has folders inside that were modified on May 12th, sounds about right for 10.9.3 unless there's somewhere more exact I should be looking..

Edit: all the install packages in InstallESD.dmg in the package have modification dates of May 10th..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 15, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I noticed that the App Store says Mavericks was last updated on May 15, 2014 and mentions 10.9.3 as the version. I'm grabbing it now and will see what the installation media made from it looks like.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Holy poo poo, I deleted an email on my iPad and the email disappeared from my Mac!! I look forward to this continuing! (Fingers crossed.)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

LmaoTheKid posted:

Nope, didn't work.

Here's an example image: http://imgur.com/S8aBf05

Just turns black once the image is fully loaded.

I guess I'll do a clean install and see if it fixes things. I probably should, this thing has been through hell anyway.

Son of a bitch this is still happening :(

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What do you use for off-site backups?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gmq posted:

Arq with Amazon Glacier.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Arq with Amazon Glacier.
Holy poo poo.

I never even bothered looking for a good front end for Glacier. That's awesome.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Is there no good imgur uploader for OSX? "Imgur Uploader" is okay but I can only do one at a time and it doesn't just spit out a url to the actual image. Everything seems like garbage.

Walt pics are in the balance here

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

gmq posted:

I use CrashPlan. Java app sucks balls and I've never had to restore anything so I can't comment on that, but it's cheap.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

gmq posted:

I use Mozy. It works well enough, though I've never had to do a full recover.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

So has anybody else who installed the 10.9.3 update just hang at the "Completing Installation Less than a minute remaining..." step for like a half hour? I'm terrified to interrupt it but at the same time I have no idea if it's still working or not aside from the progress bar continuing to shimmer but not move.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Promoted Pawn posted:

So has anybody else who installed the 10.9.3 update just hang at the "Completing Installation Less than a minute remaining..." step for like a half hour? I'm terrified to interrupt it but at the same time I have no idea if it's still working or not aside from the progress bar continuing to shimmer but not move.
Did you install it through the App Store or from the Combo update link that was posted? If it was from the App Store then you may want to try the Combo Update version instead. My update from retail 10.9.2 to 10.9.3 via the Combo update took about 2 minutes, fwiw.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I noticed that the App Store says Mavericks was last updated on May 15, 2014 and mentions 10.9.3 as the version. I'm grabbing it now and will see what the installation media made from it looks like.
It made 10.9.3 installation media :dance:

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Quick Look lives up to its name once again in 10.9.3. That is, it works now!
:toot: Hooray! :toot:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

It made 10.9.3 installation media :dance:
Seems to be okay. I made a base OS image and NetBoot set from it today and was able to boot one of the new Airs off it and wipe/restore it using Casper.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Promoted Pawn posted:

I had it hang at the "Restarting" step. I shut down my machine, started back up and everything was fine. In my experience big updates like this can occasionally be temperamental but I've never encountered anything that would cause real damage to your system.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

decypher posted:

I suppose this is an OSX question, but could very well belong in the hardware thread as well:

Basically, OSX keeps rudely ejecting then remounting an external USB drive I have. I made sure that 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible' is unchecked in the Energy Saver window. Apart from that, I'm lost. Never happened on my previous computer. Power Nap is enabled, perhaps it's the culprit?

I see this virtually every morning and always when I get home from work.

I had this problem but it was only because the USB 3 port didn't have enough mW for everything I plugged into a hub. Your case could be driver related, but the eject-reconnect cycle from my research is related to power hungry externals like DVDs and HDDs.

Maybe the port is turning itself down to save battery and starving the drive? Try a powered hub if you can find a cheap one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone did updates yesterday and noticed /Users was missing for some reason, apparently it was the iTunes update + Find My Mac :psyduck:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/hidden-users-folder-result-of-itunes-11.2-and-find-my-mac-combination-not-1

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
How are you guys making install media? I'd like to wipe my system soon. In the past I've had to download the update from the store and make a usb stick.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's in the OP that no one reads and likely the same process you used before.

How do I make a bootable installation disc for Mavericks?
  • Download Mavericks from the Mac App Store on any compatible Mac.
  • Format a USB drive with Disk Utility with the default volume name of "Untitled"
  • Open Terminal and run this command:
    code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction
  • Wait a bit (can be up to 30 minutes on a slow USB drive) until the Terminal output states that the process is finished.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Mercurius posted:

Did you install it through the App Store or from the Combo update link that was posted? If it was from the App Store then you may want to try the Combo Update version instead. My update from retail 10.9.2 to 10.9.3 via the Combo update took about 2 minutes, fwiw.

App Store. I bit the bullet and powered down after another 15 minutes or so with no change, thank goodness it booted right back up into 10.9.2 like nothing happened. Just installed 10.9.3, then the RAW update, then the iTunes 11.2 all separately and everything was fine.

Still not quite used to an environment where you can interrupt an OS-level update like that and not being likely to damage something.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's not 10.9.3 (might have been 10.9.2) but I distinctly remember updating some Macs at work and having one or two get stuck, after waiting about half an hour to make sure they were just stuck, I powered them off and it had worked fine.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
A corestorage volume of 2 identical HDDs should be fine right? This is a more or less proven use? I know its probably mostly for fusion right now but I'm in a situation where the extra space is worth more than the speed.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

japtor posted:

If anyone did updates yesterday and noticed /Users was missing for some reason, apparently it was the iTunes update + Find My Mac :psyduck:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/hidden-users-folder-result-of-itunes-11.2-and-find-my-mac-combination-not-1

Haha, I hadn't even noticed. The best bit is that unhiding /Users only sticks until a reboot, unless you disable find my mac, according to the article.

Thanks, Apple! At least this is just sorta annoying, rather than anything serious.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

japtor posted:

In addition the bug makes the /Users directory :siren: world-writable :siren:. I'm not entirely sure of the ramifications of this but I'm pretty sure that isn't good.

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/users-folder-being-hidden-with-itunes-11-2-installed-and-find-my-mac-enabled/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

A corestorage volume of 2 identical HDDs should be fine right? This is a more or less proven use? I know its probably mostly for fusion right now but I'm in a situation where the extra space is worth more than the speed.
Not sure if it's a proven use other than Fusion (which is probably a bit different in action), but I've heard of people doing it.

Do you basically just want to span for a single large volume? Any reason you can't just do a concatenated drive set in Disk Utility? For all I know that's a CoreStorage thing too these days but I just mention it cause it's supported in the actual UI rather than having to muck around with command line stuff.

Oneiros posted:

In addition the bug makes the /Users directory :siren: world-writable :siren:. I'm not entirely sure of the ramifications of this but I'm pretty sure that isn't good.

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/users-folder-being-hidden-with-itunes-11-2-installed-and-find-my-mac-enabled/
Check the update, they actually fixed it already (iTunes 11.2.1).

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I just had my first ever bad update of an official OS X update.

the 10.9.3 update seemed to work fine, and it shows 10.9.3 in About This Macintosh, but when I run vmware fusion I get "Unable to retrieve kernel symbols"

After digging around a bit, I notice that my MBP is running this kernel:

code:
Darwin retina-mbp.home.thebucket.org 13.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.1.0: Wed Apr  2 23:52:02 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.92.1~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
While my macmini is runnign this one:

code:
Darwin macmini.home.thebucket.org 13.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.2.0: Thu Apr 17 23:03:13 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.100.13~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Whoops.

I tried to run the combo updater hoping that would fix it, but no dice.

So now I'm doing a backup and I'm probably going to nuke and pave and restore with migration assistant.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Is there a way I can remote desktop into my Mac Mini as a completely different session?

Basically, my Mac Mini's primary function is running Plex for media center duties. However, I frequently ARD into it to piss about with other software, requiring me to quit out of Plex. It would be far better if I could just leave Plex running, and just connect into a new session at the desktop. I'm sure this is possible, but how?!

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Is there a way I can remote desktop into my Mac Mini as a completely different session?

Basically, my Mac Mini's primary function is running Plex for media center duties. However, I frequently ARD into it to piss about with other software, requiring me to quit out of Plex. It would be far better if I could just leave Plex running, and just connect into a new session at the desktop. I'm sure this is possible, but how?!

I've only run plex server on a windows machine where it runs in the background. Why do you need to quit out of plex server for the Mac version?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Ericadia posted:

I've only run plex server on a windows machine where it runs in the background. Why do you need to quit out of plex server for the Mac version?

Sorry, i should have been clearer - the Mac Mini runs both the server and player software, and I only need to quit out of the Plex player.

Edit: Figured it out. It seems that ARD doesn't support this, but the built in Screen Sharing app allows logging in as a new session.

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 17, 2014

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

echobucket posted:

I just had my first ever bad update of an official OS X update.

the 10.9.3 update seemed to work fine, and it shows 10.9.3 in About This Macintosh, but when I run vmware fusion I get "Unable to retrieve kernel symbols"

After digging around a bit, I notice that my MBP is running this kernel:

code:
Darwin retina-mbp.home.thebucket.org 13.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.1.0: Wed Apr  2 23:52:02 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.92.1~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
While my macmini is runnign this one:

code:
Darwin macmini.home.thebucket.org 13.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.2.0: Thu Apr 17 23:03:13 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.100.13~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Whoops.

I tried to run the combo updater hoping that would fix it, but no dice.

So now I'm doing a backup and I'm probably going to nuke and pave and restore with migration assistant.

I solved it and it looks like it's a bug.

I turned off filevault and waited for it to decrypt my drive (luckily fast on my SSD)

Once I rebooted I'm not running the right kernel

code:
uname -a
Darwin retina-mbp.home.thebucket.org 13.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.2.0: Thu Apr 17 23:03:13 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.100.13~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Ok I'm posting from my brand new rMBP and I'm totally new to this. I understand the combo update is a bit more reliable and I should ignore the App Store's update. To install, I just download from the above link and run it, right?

As it runs, can I continue to play with this beautiful thing?

Ignore this?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I always just run the App Store update. 10.9.2 had an issue on one computer that I updated that way (out of about 80) and 10.9.3 has so far not caused any problems.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Butt Savage posted:

Ok I'm posting from my brand new rMBP and I'm totally new to this.

You should just use the store updater - it'll download/install the updates and then tell you it wants to reboot, and then it'll sit and install for a few minutes. Or you can just tell it to install overnight, and it'll be updated in the morning.

echobucket posted:

I solved it and it looks like it's a bug.

That does look like a bug - the updater will update the kernel installed on your encrypted partition, and then there's a separate process that goes and gathers everything needed to boot far enough to decrypt your main drive (i.e. the kernel and related stuff) and copies it out to the unencrypted partition - it looks like that didn't happen correctly. VMware was confused because the kernel on disk that it inspects (/mach_kernel) didn't match what was actually running (the cached kernel from the unencrypted partition).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Uncertain if this is the proper thread for IOS apps.

Apple's iPhone/iTouch is now unusable after this latest update. I'm looking for an alternative that will sync straight from my computer just like Apple's. I tried Podcruncher, but it doesn't seem to have this functionality. It has to download through the app itself. I want to be able to listen to podcasts on my computer or device and merely have to sync between them when I want to jump from one to the other.

Any suggestions?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Have a look at instacast, perhaps? I only use their iOS app, but I seem to recall It having a desktop app that it can sync with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Met posted:

Uncertain if this is the proper thread for IOS apps.
It is not. Here's the iOS apps thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522474