Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does anyone know if there’s a way to get Steam Link working on Catalina as the client? I want to play Disco Elysium from not-my-office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you care to the tune of $30/mo about having a really fast and productive email experience on macOS and iOS, Superhuman is quite good. Its offline support is better than Airmail’s especially, which is what I was using before.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pram posted:

$30 a month for email. lol.

one of the best things I expense in terms of payoff, tbqh. fast, reliable offline email (and macros/snippets, and search that works usefully, etc) saves me meaningful time literally every day

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use macOS on one screen and win 10 on another. Nothing majorly crazy usage wise. Windows 10 always finding something new, or repeated, to annoy the living poo poo out of me. Usually involving Office.

You find that Office is better on macOS than on Windows? It’s an honour to have met you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

maybe it got a lot better in the last couple of years, but running a Windows VM with Outlook in it, including all the D&D and clipboard jank and split filesystems, was so much better than running the Mac version of it that it was a standard config option for Mac users at a previous company.

there’s also the fun game of “will the macros in this crazy workflow document work correctly on the Mac?”, which I understand is still underway. pretty much every program is missing meaningul features on macOS, like Word not being able to embed fonts or Powerpoint not working with some complex animations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Last Chance posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember Growl.app. RIP

I always think of Growl as an Adium ride-along, and similarly with whatever that update system was.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hyper-G will have its day.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lol if you have so little screen real estate that your windows overlap

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

Might want to use single quotes up there, double quotes throw you into the shell

What do you mean by this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pzy posted:

I'd love it if it had something to do with this:

https://twitter.com/alannerd614/status/1214902388894654464

This was my first thought!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fedule posted:

I don't understand why Music doesn't just maintain everything under its designated directory, like iTunes did.

I don’t think Music was made by the strongest people from the iTunes team.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ok Comboomer posted:

Now you either need to get an Airplay-equipped receiver (not a dongle, I mean like the integrated amp-receiver, you know the thing you probably hoped to keep using and not replace), use a hack plus something like a raspberry pi to spoof an AirPlay access point, or go through an Apple TV/HDMI (so through a TV) or wired iOS device.

I just have my AppleTV connected to my receiver, and airplay to it works great without the TV turning on at all. :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

For me, it's better than the CrApp Store because all I have to do to check for the latest version of an app is

brew cask upgrade somecoolapp

None of this poo poo where I have to track down the website, find the update link, download, mount, drag the app to the Applications folder, tell it yes I know I'm replacing an older version.

Wait, you don’t get updates through the App Store?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weedle posted:

most good apps are not in the app store

Sure, but I thought a whole thing about the App Store was that it handled updates for you reasonably well. (Xcode obviously an exception.) it’s weird to me that someone would install something from there and then go chasing feral DMGs for updates.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I came out of nowhere with an update to a formula the other week and everyone was perfectly pleasant about it, so this is surprising!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

Remember that NTFS was written by Microsoft, an Apple competitor; if you want to make software that reads/writes to it, you gotta pay Microsoft something.

Apple wasn't going to pay Microsoft the money so they literally reverse engineered a read-only driver without Microsoft's help or sanction, which is why you wouldn't want to trust macOS's read-only ability too much.

Why do you have to pay them? Are there specific patents that need to be licensed? There are multiple open source NTFS tools that don’t seem to be patent-encumbered, from a quick search at least.

And if you have to pay Microsoft to make software that reads or writes NTFS, how did Apple make software that reads it in order to avoid paying Microsoft? I can’t make sense of this post.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weedle posted:

microsoft considers the ntfs specification a trade secret and will not license it. however it is legal to reverse-engineer something that can interface with a proprietary system as long as you don't reuse any proprietary elements.

Yeah, that’s my understanding too, but it doesn’t match what BB posted, and what they posted contradicts itself, I think?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fallom posted:

Yeah; I've tried it on both 2.4GHz USB and Bluetooth modes and still get the stutter. The issue popped up well after I started using the mouse but I can try a wired one to definitely rule it out.

Nearby microwave?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

Guess we're gonna get the return of Fat Binaries..

Or bitcode payloads that are compiled at install? I forget what the state of that is for disparate ISAs versus ARM variants. The App Store will just ship the perfect set of binaries to you of course, so maybe more shops will move to it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

duck monster posted:

Its not part of the use case. Rosetta is really a bandaid for apps delivered outside the app store or app-store apps that havent been playing catch up that havent compiled an arm version. Existing mac applications need to work on the new machines or its dead in the water since Apple doesnt have a monopoly on mac applications yet

Who on earth is seriously building Mac apps without doing so on a Mac? That has to be a vanishingly small set of people, but even so I think “company has a monopoly on tools for producing software for small-share platform that they make” is going to be hard to get a lot of attention on.

IIRC the iOS/iPadOS App Store gets bitcode these days, so they could probably generate non-optimal-but-functional x86 binaries from that if they wanted to do all the other work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BobHoward posted:

(as a side note, lol if you think the justice department did anything significant to microsoft)

Seriously. I had a friend try to argue that the antitrust settlement is what reignited the browser space and ... yeah, no. I had my email subpoenaed for that lawsuit and it had less than no competitive effect when it was resolved.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AlternateAccount posted:

On the Safari vs. Everything Else debate, I really like the containerization options in Firefox. Safari has their "Intelligent Tracking Prevention" by default, is that functionally the same thing?

No, the ITP stuff isn’t as complete AIUI. The Firefox containers are almost exactly what I want, if they had better tab management stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s a really good write up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's cool he got paid 100k to report it.

Almost 300K at last count.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

Apple has been updating the APFS format so much that they literally haven't bothered to update previous OSes to at least be capable of reading the new format..

Can you imagine how thrilled the FS developers are when they get told, for the first time in their lives, that they can iterate on a format and not care that much about backward compatibility? What a dream.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nexxai posted:

They can probably correlate which certificate was used to sign which application, but the closest they'd be able to identify you by is your public IP address; there's no authentication involved in OCSP.

Your set of public IP addresses and all the certs you’ve ever requested. They can see you install from the store and then a cert request when you start up the app shortly after, and correlating that activity isn’t rocket science. If they want to stick to correlating all your OCSP traffic they can probably get most of the way there just by matching up TLS session resumption data. (All of this assuming that trustd doesn’t do anything else that’s easily fingerprintable.)

CRLite would help a lot of this, but Apple doesn’t support it yet afaict.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kefkafloyd posted:

OCSP is a standard (with flaws) that's used not just by Apple. It's not "unencrypted messages telling apple what app you're launching," it's a developer, not even application, cert that it's requesting a verification. Anyone (including web browsers) that implement OCSP have similar flaws and downsides.

That OCSP works for web browsers doesn’t mean it’s a good choice here. For one element, OCSP relies on stapling for privacy and scalability, and Apple doesn’t staple responses (nor could they really given their architecture).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Data Graham posted:

a function that had been working fine since 1992

if it helps, which it probably won't, email was bullshit in 1992 as well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, IIRC they found a bunch of Big Sur bugs (which isn’t that surprising, a web browser touches a lot of API surface) along the way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, what magic do I need to perform to get my Big Sur MBP to unlock with my Apple Watch? I’ve tried turning it on and off, toggling Bluetooth, rebooting everything, surgery on my keychain, and it still tells me it can’t connect to my watch.

Also, when I try to turn off iCloud Keychain it prompts me with a warning then briefly clears the checkbox before checking it again on me all of its own accord.

Am I dying?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lignicolos posted:

Is your watch on the latest OS version? There was an update very recently that fixed this exact issue.

It claims it’s up-to-date and running 7.1. I’ve only had it for a few days, so that’s the only version it’s ever run AFAIK.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AlternateAccount posted:

Good tip, thank you. It now lists an available update for Big Sur 11.0.1, which... I am already running. So that's weird, we'll see what it does.

It's possible that the beta stream 11.0.1 and the release stream 11.0.1 have different internal identifiers, and the release stream version compares higher. I don't know a ton about how Apple manages its build and delivery, but I've worked with a number of systems that have that property and I think it's relatively common.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think this is quite a tech support question, more one about macOS behaviour, but let me know if I should post in Haus instead.)

I have been copying a decent amount of data (>100GB) from a Mac laptop’s main APFS filesystem to a USB key that was formatted to exFAT by this Mac. While trying to monitor the progress (macOS doesn’t have watch?) I discovered that the number of files returned by ls on the USB key was jumping around weirdly. I set up a loop to compare echo * with ls and got the weirdness here:

(There is one file name with a space in it but that should be handled the same by both bash globbing and ls anyway in terms of what wc -w sees. And it’s varying in ways that can’t be explained by name splitting!)

The copy process is a single cp -rXp that preserved timestamps on one USB key when rsync -a didn’t, and then didn’t preserve them on another key, but that’s a different mystery.

OS is 13.0, no weird betas or anything.

I then sampled ls -l nine times with a second delay between them, and got these results:

The files with the same size are identical, and the shorter ones are proper prefixes of the longer ones.

Another goon put direct I/O in my head in that maybe ls is using it and not seeing buffered writes, but that doesn’t really explain the reported file set shrinking. Maybe ls is seeing the directory blocks in an inconsistent state, but exFAT’s directory structure is pretty simple and I would expect this write pattern to just append new entries.

Anyone have thoughts about this? I used to work on Linux filesystems a long time ago but I don’t know the macOS VFS stuff at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So I have an M2 Mac Mini that I’m trying to connect to my DisplayPort KVM, but I can’t get it to detect the USB-C-to-DisplayPort cable I just got. I skimmed Console.app’s logs and didn’t see anything, but I don’t really know how to diagnose USB stuff on macOS. Anyone know how I might proceed? I’m not sure I have anything else to test the cable with, but I’ve tried different Thunderbolt ports on the back. I don’t have (or want, ideally) a display connected via HDMI, so I hope it doesn’t require a primary display there…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Three zero-days addressed in this patch apparently.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Part of the issue I believe is that game scaling on multi-GPU configurations is significantly more difficult than scaling in apps.

I don’t understand what you’re saying here,. Does Apple Silicon expose the different GPU cores as different GPUs and make apps/OS schedule across them? I thought the GPU core count was basically just telling you how many (hundreds of) lanes of compute you had for the GPU instruction set, like AMD APUs talk about having different “CU” counts.

If they’re exposing each core as a separate GPU to schedule work on, it seems like a pretty odd choice, but will still be much easier than in the PC/SLI case because the Apple Silicon has unified memory across the GPU cores and the big problem with SLI is memory copying. It would make the ports of BG3 and RE basically heroic miracles, though, since their engines were almost certainly not designed for distinct GPUs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kibner posted:

The Ultra and Max are two separate GPU slabs of silicon, I believe, so they encounter the SLI issue of how to coordinate them to best draw frames.

Oh, right, in which case I assure you that nobody is going to try to make a AAA game scale across them at all for the sake of Apple gamers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:kimchi:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I use Raycast and it’s pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Data Graham posted:

Lol this seems like a real dumb name for a flag

yeah they’re going to add more things to newcursor.dylib all controlled behind that flag and there will no longer be a good choice