Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

The Kins posted:

Oh, in case you missed the press release while you were in a mad rush to download Lion, there will be a physical release - a $69 USB thumbstick version coming "later this month".

Yea, christ. I would much rather have that. Assuming it's a full OS install. I guess I get to keep waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Binary Badger posted:

3) I see sales of the Lion thumbdrive going through the roof. They'd better loving make it available in retail, I'm not going to pay $70 for FedEx to stomp it with a boot and say it fell off the belt or something.

I will buy this the second it comes out. Stupid App Store. I want the key.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, you can image the dmg to a usb stick or burn it to a dvd with disc utility.

Which is only good for upgrades right? And you can run it off the stick? Does it force an AppleID login every install?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Don Lapre posted:

No, you can clean install off of it. Insert usb drive or dvd, boot up holding option, and boot off of it. No authentication required. You are never asked for an appleID or anything.

This is amazing. I was going to hold off, but it turns out I can make my own USB Lion key for 30$ instead of waiting for physical release?

If yes, then I will click the buy buttan.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, you can.

So many thank yous. :f5h::)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

hannibal posted:

Xcode is back up on the MAS and free for Lion users.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/xcode/id448457090?mt=12

Awesome. Time to play!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
This just popped up on my Twitters:

Make An OS X Lion Boot Disc

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/make-an-os-x-lion-boot-disc/

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Ok, I'm confused now.

I ran the Lion app and it did it's thing and restarted my machine. But why after restarting do I only have an option to instal Mac OSX or restore from backup?

Shouldn't there be an upgrade option to click on?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

Ok, I'm confused now.

I ran the Lion app and it did it's thing and restarted my machine. But why after restarting do I only have an option to instal Mac OSX or restore from backup?

Shouldn't there be an upgrade option to click on?

Well that was loving weird. I restarted back to my old OS and re launched the Lion installer. Which is now upgrading hands off properly...

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Oh lame.

Full screening an app only fullscreens it on the main monitor. Leaving the external monitor to become absolutely useless.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Toady posted:

The second monitor is used for auxiliary windows.

Which no full screen apps use?

I'd rather the app full screen on the monitor it was sitting in. Leaving the other monitor fully usable for anything.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

I actually like the two finger swipe for backward & forward. If I'm already navigating up and down with two fingers, why not go left and right with two?

What about when someone breaks your tables?

EDIT: I wish Safari had an awesome bar.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I have two Skype icons on my LaunchPad. I have no idea why. Clicking both open the same program.

What?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why is Time Machine an anal retentive bitch now?

Before, I would backup about once a day (or every two days depending on file changes) to an external hard drive. This worked fine, and I would only get the ( ! ) up top when it was longer than a week from the last backup. I liked this because it was a good reminder.

Now I get the ( ! ) after like 30mins - 1hr after removing the external HD. Why? Is this behavior I can change? Or is this a new Lion 'feature'?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can I upgrade Lion from a home made Lion boot disk?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Doctor Zero posted:

Yep. just did it yesterday. Just run the .dmg. It will ask if you want to upgrade.

Run the InstallESD.dmg?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do you have Skype in /Applications and ~/Applications, maybe?

Spotlight turns up only one Skype.app.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So I booted another computer using the Lion DVD I just made from the ESD image.

My only option is to "Reinstall OSX: Install a new copy of Lion."

Is this going to upgrade? Is it going to wipe all my poo poo?

EDIT: I should clarify that I have other options, but none to "Upgrade."

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 23, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

withak posted:

That is it.

You people are so vague.

"Yes choosing the Reinstall will not wipe your poo poo. You are safe."

EDIT: I will know soon.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 23, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Does BitLocker work with Time Machine in Lion? I can't remember if something changed when Lion released. I don't remember the two things working well together previously.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

computer parts posted:

the new Filevault is pretty much seamlessly integrated with Lion and Time Machine (although I think you have to reformat your TM drive to get the encrypted backup).

Oops. I meant Filevault.

Anything I should know before turning it on?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Choadmaster posted:

Encryption doesn't work with software RAID setups; other than that (and the fact that you can't *lock* a drive once you've unlocked it), I've found it to be awesome.

I've started motorcycling to work, and I'm paranoid that the little bit of confidential info I have on my laptop will be stolen if I'm ever in an accident and the laptop is damaged/stolen/taken/lost etc. I can't run after my poo poo if I'm in an ambulance!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What does one do if they want smart borders on a Mac?

Like dragging to side to fill 50% of the screen.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Aw. The display icon in the menu bar doesn't let me quickly choose resolutions anymore. Instead is just a shortcut to the preference pane.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Nuntius posted:

We're 'adding' features to the OS (removing options)

Argh. I actually boost my res when recording webex presentations in order to record them in native rez. Can't do that anymore!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is there a notification center hot-key?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Holy poo poo. Is there really no way to disable scroll acceleration?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

A Yolo Wizard posted:

My mother's imac is at the lower end of the requirements to upgrade - 2.4ghz core 2 duo (24 inch). Does mavericks run well at that end?

I'm the same processor on a 13 inch MacBook. Runs pretty swell here. I have 8gb of ram though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I know it's possible to dual boot with Linux on a Mac. And I know it's possible to run Linux in a VM.

However, is it possible to do both? Have the Mac setup for dual booting, and if I need to do a quick thang, can I access that second partition in a VM?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What's people's virtualization software of choice? This is primarily for Linux.

I don't care about having app windows float around or any of that poo poo. I just want the machine on it's own space. I've tried VirtualBox and was reasonably impressed. Is it worth checking out VMWare Fusion? Parallels kinda looks dumb. I never trust apps that need an installer. Since I swear they probably leave tons of poo poo behind after they are 'removed'.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I just recently used a April 2018 downloaded from Microsoft's website that I downloaded and installed just last week. Worked without a hitch.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It usually has to do with Time Machine stuff. Once you run some commands to clean out TM images it's fine.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

nitsuga posted:

I'm torn with Mojave. I don't want to go full dark mode, but I want the dark menu bar and dock. Maybe it's time to become a High Sierra stalwart.

Don't install. You can either go all in on dark or not.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is there a reason why Rosetta can't translate iPad apps on the fly for Intel machines?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Public beta works great on my 11 inch air.

My only gripe is that the Safari address bar is SO THICK on a screen this tiny hah.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
gently caress sakes. I finally installed the 10.15.6 update on my 16inch and now my CalDigit dock will only connect to one monitor at a time. Both active DVI to DP, and active VGA to DP. Everything was working great before the update. And now it's borked. This was the only other person who I've seen with the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/hsizqr/16_mbp_caldigit_ts3_plus_and_10156/

Feck! Everything was working so good with my dock! I was just getting into the one cable life. And now I'm back to a single monitor. Maybe it's time to try Big Sur and see if it fixes it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Karsh posted:

Not 100% related, but my DAC (Schiit Fulla 2) stopped working with my CalDigit dock as of 10.15.6. Apple and Schiit support didn't have much to say, CalDigit told me to reinstall macOS. Not sure who's at fault here, but it sucks.

I found this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251595534

EDIT: While there's still a lot of weird fuckery going on. (like all of a sudden my dual monitors can only be plugged in one way eg. right to left instead of left to right) resetting NVRAM and SMC seemed to actually let me get dual monitors back again.

EDIT2: I take that back. It's still super picky and sucky and annoying as gently caress. ESPECIALLY since I had everything cable managed.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 10, 2020

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Mercurius posted:

I dunno how long you’ve had your CalDigit dock but there was a firmware update for the TS3+ released in January that addressed the two monitor thing because Apple did something that made it stop working. If you’ve had your dock longer than that and haven’t checked for the firmware update I’d try that first.

No firmware update for the CalDigit Pro unfortunately.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'll try these things thanks!

I've un cable managed my setup so it's easier to unplug and attempt different things now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Apple issues Supplemental Update for macOS 10.15.6 :siren:

This memory leak may also be responsible for a lot of kernel panics that have been seen for some people since upgrading to 10.15.6, continuing Catalina's reputation as one of the most bug-ridden updates pinched out by Apple in a long while.

Hopefully there's video and Thunderbolt issues that get addressed as well.

If you have Catalina, it should be available in the Software Update control panel.

lol what the gently caress is that iMac update. I had this happen on both my 2016 15inch and 2019 16inch. I wonder if they know it's not just iMacs.

Also, I just noticed that there are some websites that see how small my 11inch MacBook Air screen is and serve me the mobile version of the site.