Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Maybe this has been posted already, but copying files from a USB stick doesn't work.

It will "copy" but once you un-mount the stick, the files disappear.

This pretty much pissing me off a lot, as I am trying to load a Windows 7 .iso and every time it copies, it disappears. This strikes me as a major issue...any solution?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3200189?start=0&tstart=0

Edit: This is on a new MBA w/Lion pre-installed, if that matters.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
18gigs incoming (updating three Macbooks). 1.5 hrs on each...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just download on one system and make USB installation media for the others.

Nah, want to make Comcast and my new Timecapsule sing. :v:

Edit: oddly enough, my MBA connected to the router as 802.11ac is going much slower than my other Macbooks (connected via N). I know, I know, ac only gives you faster on network peer speeds, but the general population thinks N is better so AC must mean way faster internet!

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 22, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

October 6. Curious as iWork still shows a cost per app in the App Store. I guess my original question of who do I complain to stands.

Bought mine Oct 18 so I'm interested as well. Googling isn't helping. I know they always have a "up to date" program and such for recent purchasers, not sure if they will have one for iWork. It's obvious they want this software on everyone's Mac, so I'd guess they will have something in order for within 30 days ago purchasers...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

I have taken the plunge and have tossed Chrome now that I am on Mac/iOS 100% and Keychain access is available.

Excited to see where this takes me.. I hope its good :ohdear:

I'm almost there. My entire life is in Google though (use Google for literally everything). I don't know if I can do it, but it's tempting as I'm sure Safari is better on Mavericks.

Is X Marks still the go-to cross platform bookmark manager? That way I could swap back to Chrome if Safari sucks...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Anyone else noticing a weird side to side bounce in Chrome when scrolling down (w/two fingers on the trackpad). I don't recall the bouncyness in 10.8.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Have a question about securing an iMac (running Mavericks). I bought my elderly parents an iMac. They can use it, but barely (tried iPad before you say that). Everything is fine most of the time...when it's not, I have to remote into the machine (use Logmein free - works great).

The problem is, I have a shady family member who is quite malicious (behind everyone's back) and she likes to go in and disable Logmein as a startup app because she knows they don't know how to re-start it (long story as to why someone would do such a thing). She doesn't want me helping them out. This creates havoc as my parents call with an issue and their machine shows offline. I have to walk them through the process of searching "logmein" using spotlight to re-start the program so I can access their machine.

I think she knows the password, so I just changed it remotely. Also, I registered "Logmein" as a hidden startup app in system settings, then clicked the lock icon.

I still think she can close it from the menu bar, right? If so, is there a way to totally lock the system so that a user can't close running programs? There has to be a way (libraries, etc).

I just need Logmein to run 24x7 with no possibility of being closed by anyone but myself (who has the password to the machine).

Thanks

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Guys it's my 41 year old sister. She can barely use a computer as is. She's not going to hack the thing.

Long story and believe me, I'm fully aware of the social issue at hand. It's very difficult, trust me on this.

And I happen to be 2,500 miles away and rarely have the chance to visit in person, so that's the reason I need a technical solution.

But thanks for the suggestions.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 5, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

syndex posted:

You could also try using broomstick to hide the icon in the menu bar.

http://www.zibity.com/broomstick

Hasn't been updated in a while but seems to work fine in mavericks.

Thanks for this (and the other suggestions). Between changing the password, locking the startup item Logmein and this, she won't even know it's running. Of course she could go into system settings and try to de-register it as a startup item, but whoops, wrong password.

That's all I need to know. Silent win is good by me. poo poo breaks, just have them reboot like was suggested.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Post the e/n thread please.

Do OSX software questions go in E/N? Serious question. I was just providing a bit of background as to why I needed to do such a thing. My bad.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have a Fujitsu Scan Snap scanner. I am in the process of digitizing basically everything I own.

Is Yep! still a good app for organizing lots of .pdfs and other digital documents? I used it like 7 years ago (never bought it) and was curious if it's recommended these days.

I don't want some complex database program, just something to quickly and easily tag pdfs for later retrieval (i.e. search by "2013 tax" and there are all relevant documents, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I cannot get this thing to download.

What are the chances if I buy a 4gig movie from iTunes, Akamai will serve that thing up in under a minute? Sudden bandwidth...

Very annoying.