Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Xee should be on the list of apps. It does but one thing, but it does it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
There used to be a couple of choices for the "Create a Black text document here" functionality.

I have an Apple Script to create a plain blank text file, but I need one that can create a blank .RTF file in a location with a keyboard shortcut. Apparently a 'blank' .rtf file needs headers and such.

Anyone know how to do this, or no software to do this?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Create a blank rtf file in Text Edit, save it somewhere safe, and modify your AppleScript to copy it to the current directory instead?

Sounds good. How do I do that?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Look in your existing script to find out how it knows your current active folder.

Then you want something like:
code:
tell application "Finder"
  copy file "Macintosh HD:Users:user:blank.rtf" to folder XXXXX
end tell

I will give it a shot. Thanks!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anjow posted:

Does anyone use Launchbar? I am looking for a way to make it faster and use less memory. As it stands, it takes a couple of seconds to register my input and is using 450MB RAM... Does disabling things from indexing speed this up, and if so, does anyone know what things are best to disable?

All I want to use it for is launching applications and opening directories.

Delete the index and let it rebuild. LaunchBar gets really slow if its index/cache is screwy, and does not do any routine maintenance on it indexes/caches so it won't fix the problems without your intervention.

Sworn Launchbar lover myself (it's the only launcher that plays nice with IMEs), but ran into that problem once or twice.

Once you get rid of the troublesome indexex (maybe use TrashMe or a similar program to do it to make sure you get everything), you should have no problems. It is faster than the other choices once everything is squared away.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

error -36 s listed in various things as an OS 9 I/O error code.

Is it the same for os X? (Have I managed to kill another drive?)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Stupid "Numbers" question

Is there a way to number a column of cells 1- 5000 without using a formula?

In Excel, it will rather intelligent realize that you want to add a numbering column when you select the first few cells that are labeled "1, 2, 3, 4" and fill in the rest with appropriate numbers.

There does not seem to be a way to do this in Numbers.

Help?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mithra6 posted:

I'm having a strange issue. Some characters are show up as Hebrew letters. This only happens in browsers (Safari and Firefox). I think it only happens if special characters are displayed like č, or ǹ, and so on.

Maybe it's font based? I've never seen it happen here in SA, and it seems to happen on random sites.

I've looked through all regional settings, and I don't see anything. I'm on 10.7 and it's fully updated.

Here's a print screen of an example. You can see how the search box has a Hebrew character, and near the bottom of the Wikipedia search result:

Download Onyx or whatever the recommended System Cache Cleaner is and have it delete your font caches. After the upgrade to 10.6 corrupted font caches have become a failure regular source of problems IME.

I have had weird font problems in Numbers, in Excel, in Firefox, and in Opera.

Deleting the font caches (which the system and or applications just rebuild) always corrects the problem for me. It will require a reboot.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

4 gigs is fine. Ask all the people that love their Macbook Air.

SSDs mask problems with too little memory because disk swaps are painless with SSDs.

The OP has too little memory and way, way, way too little free disk space, both of which stand OS X on its nose by themselves. In combination, they are a giant pit of suck.

4 GB is dead minimum for OS X. OS X will always behave better with more memory. Always has always will.

4GB free disk space will stop a Mac dead. Hell 15 GBs free will stop a Mac dead. SSDs may alleviate the problem but OS X really starts to run slow with a full disk, especially since a phycial disk is running at less than half its rated speed at that point.

VVV WHoops, apparently.VVV I got the posters mixed up, then.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 4, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Is there a way to make a (.m4v) movie that is being played with an incorrect aspect ratio play with the correct aspect ration by default?

VLC has no problems just changing the aspect ratio during playback, but I want to watch this in iTunes/iPos in the correct aspect ratio.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anyone use SkyDrive with 10.6?

I'm not upgrading anytime soon, and I am trying to spread my files among several free options.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Somehow I have managed to separate my iTouch Apple account from my iTunes Apple account and now I have stuff registered to two different names including apps.

Knowing that this is not really a OS X software issue, but is there anyway to say "Collapse all these into one account dammit?"

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Again, these are all listed in the OP.

What is this "OP" you speak of?

Other Place? Optional Programs?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Back before the beginning of time there was StickyBrain which was awesome for grabbing bits of text and throwing them in a bin, and remembering the websites they came from etc.

I come across this line:

quote:

It's important to remember that every reality is always happening at the same time.

in this well-written article about well nothing much, and I know at some point, I will want to reread this article, and enjoy the writing again.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7846322/taking-concert-doubleheader-creed-nickelback-world-most-hated-bands
(actually apropos of nothing Mac, that website has some of the most interesting writing I have read in years, and all of it about nothing. I love cultural studies done right.)

When StickyBrain was good before it became the steamy mess the devloper turned it into. Is there something like that around now?

I don't want to tweet these things, or share them. I just want to stash my little OCD scraps of paper where I can find them later.

EverNote never seemed to do it right for me. Should I give EverNote another chance?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 9, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks!!

Two FOSS options!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

El Duke Silver posted:

1password is currently $40, so it depends on how much you want it, but it's pretty much the #1 recommended app for a password companion around here, for good reason. It goes on sale every now and then though, generally at 50% off.

I know 1Password is good, because I here it all the time, but what's good about it? Does it work crossplatform? Is there a way to not have to be annoyed to death typing passwords on the touch when the password is stong?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

eames posted:

I just updated to the latest nightly of Launchbar and it now has complete 1Password integration. sooo nice.

cmd-space, type first few letters of website, it loads and logs me in automatically. :holy:

Launchbar is really underrated in my opinion. It used to be a must-have but that kind of died down when Spotlight was released. People don’t realize that LB is sooo much more than spotlight.
The looks I get from my colleagues when I send them a resized picture of something within 3 seconds and without taking the hands off my keyboard are priceless. "Are you some kind of wizard?" :D

For a different reason (when typing Japanese Spotlight, Quickilver, and GSB all require the romaji input to be resolved before launching, and LaunchBar grabs the text before the IME does so it is immediate, instead of a two step process), I have always paid for and used LaunchBar.

But because all I use it for is an app/doc launcher, I am clearly missing out.

So how to I resize something in three seconds? Or any other tricks?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

SpiderOak. You get your own encryption key, and the company never knows it, rather than Dropbox's common-key approach. I think there's a referral thread somewheres in SH/SC.

Take advantage of this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420383

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

If it is security, then just use SpiderOak.

(Yes the entire dmg, encrypted or not would be uploaded every time you changed something. DMG are fantastic for storing fixed data. They kind of suck otherwise, between sparse images having random corruption issues to non-sparse images not being expandable.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

http://www.filecluster.com/reviews/082009/how-to-suspend-a-process-in-mac-osx/
That tells me how to suspend a process like Firefox which uses up battery by using 20-50% of the CPU whenever it is running.

But I fear terminal, and would like something that I can just launch with launchbar like the kill the dock command which fixes the spaces fuckery.

The terminal commands are apparently

kilall -STOP firefox-bin

To resume it, the command is:

kilall -CONT firefox-bin

How do I make these into an AppleScript so that I can LaunchBar it?

Or is the a ready made app that does this?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

japtor posted:

I think in AppleScript it's something like:
code:
do shell script "killall -STOP blah"
Otherwise just open Automator and use the shell script block in there. Pretty sure there's some free or shareware app that does what you want with a little fancy GUI too, but I forget the name. You could probably do a less fancy simple little GUI with Automator for it too.

I forget but I'm not sure a stopped process can free memory (like if the system wants to swap it out), so there could be some side effects to it.

Oh and just noticed a typo on that page/your quote, it's "killall" not "kilall".

They say OS X can swap out the memory, but I don't care about that, I just care about battery life, and not having to restart Firefox which takes forever to load in the beginning, and requires all kinds of interaction before I can use it.

I don't know how to use Automator. Maybe easy to use for some, but it has never come close to doing anything I need.

If I just end up with an Palle Script that's fine because LaunchBar makes running an Applscript easy. I do not need a GUI, just a way to send those commands without spawning a terminal window and having to type in it. My typing sucks.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Experto Crede posted:

Here's a quick and dirty shell script I made. It works fine here, and is chmodded to 777, so it should work on yours too. It will pause the firefox process and wait for you to press a key before restarting it.

However, the firefox process was just called firefox for me, not firefox-bin. If you have issues, though, just edit it in textedit.

I says I do not have prvileges to use it, but Pasting the commands into Terminal worked. I had to add bin to the end.

Since the commands work in terminal, is there a way to make an AppleScript that will send the command
killall -STOP firefox-bin
to terminal, and run it?

I am perfectly happy with having one to stop it and another to continure it. Spaces is messed up enough that any pop-up window just might get lost anyway. I routinely have to force quit apps because pop-up dialog boxes get lost in the netherlands, Spaces cannot rasie them to the top level of a window that did not spawn them, and once the space is switched they no longer are accessible to the window that did spawn them.

(I just ran into the with Apple Script Editor which would not quit because it had spawned a pop-up window, that was not visible with all other apps hidden.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The Apple Script thing works perfectly. Thanks for taking the time!

(I am terminal allergic, because bad typing makes for bad things.)

Now I can suspend FF with a simple LaunchBar code! Now if I can fugure our what Opera, and Safari are called in terminal I'll be golden.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 19, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

japtor posted:

Well I think you can cut out the Terminal bits entirely by using the "do shell script" command, like so:
code:
do shell script "killall -STOP firefox-bin"
set dialogResult to display dialog ¬
	"Click Restart to restart Firefox" buttons {"Restart"}
if button returned of dialogResult is "Restart" then
	do shell script "killall -CONT firefox-bin"
end if
Now the Terminal doesn't open at all, just the restart dialog!

Is that in a .command file or in an Applescript?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks to both of you. This is cool.

So I can use that AppleScript outline to send commands to Terminal wihout popping up the terminal window. Cool.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I did something potentially silly maybe...

I had a ~5gb file in the trash, and the trash would not empty. It was giving me the "Trash cannot be emptied because file "thefile.mp3" is in use by another program" runaround. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in use by another program, and if it was, it shouldn't have been. So I took it out of the trash, opened a terminal window, and deleted it with that.

Only problem is that I didn't gain any space on my hard drive. Finder (and terminal) still reports the drive as having ~3GB of free space instead of ~8GB. Do I just need to wait for OSX to realize the file is gone and give me that space back?
something, so I killed it and my CPU usage fell back to normal and my free space jumped up to 9GB.

And everyone lived happily ever after.

(Leave more space free to speed up yer mac.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anhone who uses Fantasctical want to walk me through how you use it?

I am trying to get it to set up things that happen over several days and it starts to get it right, highlighting all the days, but then when I start adding more info it collapses it to the first day.

Also as a different question, but realted I want iCal to give me times and places in the monthly view. How do I do this?

(Edit: Check preference box to show times in monthly view.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 21, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Somehow I updates my Opera to the latest version which caused problems, so I had to use TimeMachine to roll back to Opera 11.64 and now my window rotating CMD+~ no longer functions in Opera.

Any ideas?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Tippis posted:

If I were to guess, Opera 12 gave you a new set of keyboard shortcuts, one of which took over that particular combination, and when you TM:ed back to 11.64, you only did it on the app, not the settings files? You can try wading through the keyboard shortcut settings and search for ~ to see if it's attached to something.

By the way, if you haven't already, make sure to turn off auto-update (Preferences > Advanced > Security), or it'll revert to v12 at a drop of a hat, and as you noticed, that version isn't quiiiiite ready for prime-time just yet.

No I laid everything back in place. For whatever reason it suddenly started working again....

BUt I cannot thank you enough for telling me how to shut off the update prompts! Thank you thank you thank you.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

What's the magic to make a tempalte in Numbers from a document?

It seems to have disappear in some Numbers update?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

kapalama posted:

What's the magic to make a tempalte in Numbers from a document?

It seems to have disappear in some Numbers update?

It's in the pulldown menu not in a dialog box from CMD+S, for anyone else confused by this.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Have you tried? This sounds dubious.

Seconded. If a MacBook (and Intel based Mac) cannot boot from USB, there is something wrong.

Van Kraken posted:

Yeah. Boot Camp Assistant won't give me the option burn a bootable USB, and when I made one anyways and tried it, it didn't show up in the boot menu.

Windows will not boot from USB, so Of course that does not work.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Flash is stopping everything on my computer pretty much anytime certain pages load in my browsers.

If I uninstall Flash, what will I lost the ability to do?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Remove it. Then install Chrome and when you need to visit a page that uses or requires Flash, use Chrome.

Then use Safari/Firefox for everything else.

Oh wow this is exactly what I want. CHrome has flash built in so if I have to I can use Chrome..

Thanks!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

This is what I do. The whole-system-jolt while it waits for Flash to spool up is infuriating to me. Hence none of my Macs have it installed anymore. What I don't get is how it appears to be getting worse with every version.

Flash has steadily become less and less reasonable to allow to run to the point that it seems like all anyone is trying to do is actually justify why iOS avoids it completely. I thought uninstalling Flash would cost me something other than freedom from a bunch of ads and non-responsive page loads.

Seriously why did I not uninstall Flash a while ago? Do I really need to see all those flash ads?

There ought to be a law(TM): Once every thee years, software companies will not be able to continue feature bloat/creep, nor issue major point releases and instead be required to optimize code, and increase security without trying even slightly increase 'capability'.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

kim jong-illin posted:

Is there a shortcut or extension that will let me print directly to .pdf from Safari?

I'm doing online practice questions and like to print the answers to .pdf for later revision but it's tedious to have to keep clicking the little PDF button on the print options. It would be nice if I could just hit a shortcut, enter the name and have the page automatically printed to .pdf to a specific directory.

japtor posted:

There isn't, but you might be able to AppleScript/Automator something up and stick it in as a shortcut. I can probably try making something up later today when I get back if no one else does first.

I can't believe it, japtor missed one! (Only saying it because japtor always knows the answer. Thanks for all the other times.)

CUPS PDF, as crazysim notes, is the answer*. CUPS PDF is really great for exactly what you are looking for. One quick tip for it: put a alias to the CUPS PDF spool folder in the sidebar otherwise the annoyance becomes hunting down the CUPS PDF spool folder.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20219/cups-pdf/

*but it's not perfect. It may not work in Lion, and the things it prints are larger than they need to be.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Bonobos posted:

What's the easiest, most idiot proof way to convert my DVD movie collection into HQ iTunes compatible movies these days?

I already have Ripit (which is an awesome DVD ripper to rip into ISO, I know it can encode, but this again doesn't do anything for tagging). So basically I am looking for something I can just take the file I ripped with Ripit, and encode it into a high-quality movie format (auto-tagged would be ideal) so that I can play it in iTunes / iOS devices.

I read that iVi, iFlicks and Roadmovie would do what I am asking, but I can't seem to find a consensus on which is best. Handbrake seems that it has way too many options (and I no idea which settings would look the best while taking the least amount of space). Also, that doesn't help with the tagging, which I believe it doesn't do last I checked. I also read that there is an automated version of Handbrake, but I can't seem to find it (anyways I read its based on an old version and is unstable). I have roughly about 300+ movies to convert, so I would like something automated if at all possible.

Since I would like to do this only once I do not mind spending money to get a better product...any suggestions?

HandBrake is really smart about making iTunes capable vids. Unlike other transcoders I have used, it never make an unnecessarily large file because it never upscales the resolution, which is a problem with others I have used. Also tagging is a pain.

The automated part is not as good as it should be, because the 'automation' requires direct interaction to add things to the queue. But once you learn the trick of cmd+B adding to the queue it saves some time. It is part of the regular distribution.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

Thanks for the tips guys... Ended up just installing Windows Mp3tag with WineBottler. Seems to work fine, and it's free!

If anyone ever gets TagNRename to work in a WineBottle, please say so. I miss that program like the desert misses the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

It looks cool but I'm going to refuse to use it just because they said whilst.

We will be having clean menu bars whilst you will be sorry.