Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

echobucket posted:

64-bit iTunes? Just a guess.
Isn't that only in iTunes 10.5 betas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

hannibal posted:

- Is there a newer XCode out now? I thought I had the version from the MAS but when I launch it I get an error saying XCode 3 is not compatible with Lion (of course). The Mac Dev Center seems to be overwhelmed right now (maybe other people trying to download xcode?)
Doh. I have a long-standing bug that has yet to be fixed in Xcode 4...

KidDynamite posted:

If you have a paid dev account you can get Xcode 4 for free. If not it's 5 bucks on the app store.
I believe you need Xcode 4.1 for Lion, actually.

hannibal posted:

The Mac Dev Center seems to be overwhelmed right now (maybe other people trying to download xcode?)
I haven't been able to hit it for the last few hours, glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Hey, anyone using Lion, what's the status of QT7? In the betas, it would offer to download it if needed, but always failed.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KidDynamite posted:

Is there any reason the dev site would be getting hammered right now?
Maybe it's not getting hammered and they're updating it?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Ah, crap, developers now get a code for a free copy of Lion from the App Store. :argh:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Oh, neat, Software Update locked up!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So for anyone else wondering, QuickTime 7 will install fine in Lion now.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Anyone else notice that Photoshop Elements is on the App Store now? That seems like sort of a big deal to me. I never thought we'd see Adobe aligning to Apple's distribution method, but I guess they don't care about their consumer licensing as much. Still, it gives me hope for Photoshop CS eventually making it there.
I'd imagine a lot of the CS suite would require major updates in order to fit App Store requirements.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Can I remove apps from Launchpad without deleting them? Launchpad has chosen to display a bunch of internal apps from Office, Creative Suite, .etc .etc that I could care less about.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Martytoof posted:

Also is Xcode 4 going to be free for Lion users forever on the App Store? Kind of pissed I paid five bucks when it first hit the App Store since I basically bought it specifically so I'd be ready to install Xcode when Lion shipped :q:
Apple strictly adheres to some weird U.S. accounting laws passed a few years back, so it's possible they could charge you again later when they introduce some new version of Xcode.

edit: vvvv I think that was a listed as a "bug" or "known issue" in betas. Figured it would have been fixed by now...

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 21, 2011

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jiblet posted:

1. How can I remove an app from launchpad? Right now I have a ton of apps that I never/rarely use taking up space and I'd rather avoid bundling them all into a "junk" folder. Can I just remove them from the launchpad?
Google says ctrl - option - command and click, but that seems to have been a beta thing only as it doesn't work on my install at least.
I'm wondering this too; anyone know?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Molten Llama posted:

There are no particularly exciting or show-stopping bugs in the flagship apps. Check out the KB article.
In case he wants some personal experience, I had to do some editing in Photoshop on a pre-release Lion box; worked fine.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

DirtyWorker posted:

VVV Your grandma is awesome. Tell her that from me. I gave my mom the old iPad as a birthday present. Now she can't go anywhere without it. :D
iPads are, in fact, quite useful for the less technically inclined members of the family. (I gave my mom one, too.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

SourKraut posted:

To be fair, in the IT environment I work in, many of the professionals who are using Macs and OS X, are becoming more vocal in meetings and around the office about their dislike of the direction that Apple is going. I wouldn't at all be surprised if in the next 3-5 years a lot of them switch back to a different OS, depending on the direction Apple continues to take.
This is happening more in some of the (media-intensive) environments I work in, but the reality is that there aren't any good alternatives.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Drosophilaphile posted:

I use my Mac mini to share my DSL connection over its wifi to a bunch of different devices. In 10.6, everything worked great. I created a PPPoE connection, then enabled Internet Sharing to share the PPPoE connection across Airport. Updating the mini to 10.7 seems to have ruined that. The PPPoE connection still works (I can get to the internet on the mini), and the wifi network I make through the mini shows up and I can connect to it with other devices, but I can't actually get to the internet from the other devices.

Any ideas?
There was something earlier in the thread about how Internet Sharing in 10.7.0 only works if the private IP is set to a particular address.

EDIT:

Accipiter posted:

Suddenly Internet Sharing started working just fine. I went back and re-tested a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or missing something, but sure enough, Mac OS 10.7 Internet Sharing from Wireless to Ethernet will only work if your Mac's ethernet address is set to 192.168.2.1. Period.

THANKS, APPLE. :argh:

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 22, 2011

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Oh, one application Expose is now Ctrl + Down. I was said I'd lost that feature :(

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apparently 10.7.2(?!) seeds are going out to developers.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Am I the only one who's shocked that 10.7.1 isn't out yet?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Lion has been nothing but fast, stable, and reliable for me.
A lot of us have not been quite so fortunate.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apparently some of the problems we've been seeing in Lion are widespread, e.g.:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/24/lion-bug-some-imacs-locking-up-after-playing-video/

Interestingly, the issues appear to differ on hardware class.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Fren posted:

Getting some weird artifacts on Lion, but only on system widgets and icons. I doubt it's an overheated video card or anything, but if anyone has seen this before:

I have seen these once or twice on a 27-inch Mid-2011 iMac. Reboot fixed it.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apparently there's a 10.7.2 GM?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Accipiter posted:

I guarantee that Lion is the last version of Mac OS X. There won't be a 10.8.
I think it's more likely they'll just naming it after something else.

edit: Really we're on OS 17 anyway

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Can we install that over the GM?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
...So how do I update the GM to final?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Martytoof posted:

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to AIM through iChat after the 10.7.2 update? It just keeps disconnecting me without any errors or anything. Nothing in the system log either.

Happened right after the upgrade, but I don't know if it's a coincidence.
Same here. :(

EDIT: Disabling SSL appears to fix the issue. Time to file bug reports!

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 13, 2011

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Martytoof posted:

Oh thank god. I just installed Adium because I needed to talk to someone, but it is really ugly out of the box and installing themes makes it crash on my machine. It would be an amazing iChat replacement if I were somehow blind. Back to iChat for me!
Assuming that resolves the issue for you, please file a bug report.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Martytoof posted:

It did work. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to make sure it's not a problem on AOL's servers but I'll file a report tomorrow afternoon.
I complained to a friend at Apple, and then a few hours later he said it should be fine now... works for me now, at least.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody here ever used NeatReceipts for Mac?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

computer parts posted:

Probably a dumb question, but can I put all the "Adobe CS#" application folders into a generic "Adobe CS5" folder in /Applications/ without it breaking everything? I'd think yes but it is Adobe, so...
I've asked it to install the apps specifically into such a folder, but there are always a few it leaves out...

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Didn't Apple hand off JVM development to Oracle? Is there somewhere I should be going to get newer JVMs?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

For those wondering, the reason I'm going back is because ML needs Xcode 4.2 which isn't compatible with some of the other developer software I use, so back I go!
You mean 4.4?

(Also just curious what other developer software you're using, and if you recommend it.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

4.4 seems to move everything (all the tools that used to reside in the Develop folder) inside of Xcode, so I assume that's messing with things. CodeRunner can't find my compilers. It's just a small program editor that I use for class projects since Xcode is a bit unwieldy for that sort of thing.
4.3 does this too. Looking at the release notes, it looks like you can ask to install command line utilities. That might fix it for you?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

I'll play around with it a bit in a VM (if possible) before jumping back in.
There are reports that it runs inside a VM, but has not yet for me.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FlashBangBob posted:

I'm pretty stoked about the new OS update too, however I'm wondering if a year update cycle in "Late Summer" will alter their Mac product release line at all. I know that Lion released and iMac's got refreshed with the "Buy a mac now and get [Mountain] Lion when it comes out" type of stuff.
There have been rumors Apple will introduce its first "retina" screen Mac this year, I wonder if these could be related.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

I'm probably looking in the wrong spot but I don't see that checkbox.
I believe it's only for Universal applications, and not PowerPC only ones.

(Alternatively you could always upgrade to Emacs. ;))

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm working on a dual-monitor machine of my employer's (dual identical Apple displays), and when I load up display preferences, brightness only appears on the first monitor. How can I adjust the brightness of the second monitor?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

End Of Worlds posted:

I had Leopard. I wanted to upgrade to Snow, finally, in preparation for Lion.

To get Lion, I need 10.6.8. Apple doesn't sell above 10.6.3, though, so I updated to that. Now I need to update 10.6.4 so I can update to 10.6.5 so I can update to 10.6.6 so I can update to 10.6.7 so I can update to 10.6.8 so I can loving download Lion when it goddamn comes out.

Is there an easier way to do this?
You can actually buy Lion on a USB stick, although it's pricer than the download.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Was Safari 5.2 really just 6, they just didn't want to actually announce the major version number until WWDC? I don't really see a difference between 6's preview version and 5.2's preview version.
Seems like the browser manufacturers have gotten into a version number war (looking at you, Chrome and Firefox).

Any guesses that 10.7.4 is the last Lion release? We haven't seen a developer preview for 10.7.5 yet, and we're already approaching the release of Mountain Lion.

Godspeed Lion, we hardly knew ye. :patriot:
Apple has purportedly stated that it now intends to update OS X on an annual basis, so I guess this is the new norm.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The Apple Store has purportedly blacked out the last week for July for employee vacations, which suggests the possibility of Mountain Lion and/or minor hardware updates then.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I forget -- were there any changes between Lion's GM and final release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I think I don't understand Mac OS X permissions at all. I am trying to set the Info.plist file inside some app to read and execute only, but no matter how I play with them the file gets overwritten when I launch the app. I also tried setting the parent directory's permissions to read only and that didn't work (although the directory's permissions did not get reset, the file inside was overwritten). Is my app somehow getting root? What the gently caress is this? My only other idea is to replace the Info.plist with a symbolic link to something on a partition which is read only (or a device which physically cannot write?!?!) but what a hassle that would be.
What app is this?