Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I have a lot of poo poo on iCloud's data servers. Contacts, financial spreadsheets, resume stuff, etc. etc. stuff I really don't want to lose. Is it tin-foil hat levels of paranoia to want to print some of this stuff out periodically in case "something" happens to my cloud data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
In OS X Yosemite, Option-w is the default shortcut for "∑". How can I change that key combination to output a different character ("₩") instead?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a recommended Mac PDF editor? I just need to make simple changes and highlights.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Tippis posted:

Depends on what kind of changes you're talking about. Preview can do basic markup and commenting. If you want a full document review workflow (including text changes), you're going to need a PDF authoring suite, which eventually just leads back to Acrobat. While lots of programs will let you work with PDFs in various ways, the deeper content editing is something Adobe tends to reserve for themselves or for professional licensed prepress applications.

Thanks! Preview should work fine for me then.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I use a VPN to get around the Great Korean Firewall, and it works great… except I can’t send email. The VPN’s tech support (IronSocket) told me to use ports 25, 465 or 587, however I still get timeouts when I try these ports in Mail. Any idea on what else I can try?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I use my iPhone 6's Personal Hotspot via USB to get online with my 2015 MacBook Pro 13". Yesterday after a restart, the USB Interface option randomly and literally disappeared from the Network preference pane.

I can still get online with a Personal Hotspot via Bluetooth, and tried a different cable to eliminate a faulty USB cable. Any suggestions on how I can get my precious wired connection back?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Pivo posted:

There have been updates to iOS and iTunes in the past few days. Are those two up to date? Just a shot in the dark, really, I know on Windows iTunes is responsible for installing the software that allows iPhone to tether, and all the software churn lately has got a lot of people in a weird spot. For example everything works for me (including USB tether), but WiFi sync absolutely refuses to work. All the usual troubleshooting steps don't work either. It's infuriating. Every time Apple does something big it's like this though.

All that stuff's up to date, but that's a great point. I'll wait until the dust settles from all these updates and take things from there if the functionality is still gone. Thanks!

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
After the Windows 10 update a couple of days ago, I’m unable to use the Startup Disk panel in System Preferences to select my Boot Camp partition anymore. This is the error I get when I select the Windows partition and click “Restart…”

I can still boot into Windows by holding “option” on startup, and I have no problems booting back into Mac OS X via Windows. Any suggestions on what I can do to make the Startup Disk pane usable again?

e: timg

Peteyfoot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 15, 2016

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I successfully installed Windows 10 via the Boot Camp Assistant, and Windows is running great. However I don't have a taskbar icon in Windows to switch back to OS X. What do I need to do to download and install the missing software that will let me do this? I can boot back into Mac via holding option, however this is a pain since I'm running my MBP in clamshell mode and the option key isn't recognized on startup if it's coming from an external keyboard. :|

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

You don't have the Boot Camp Control Panel? (Gray diamond) You can et the startup disk using that.

Nope, it's missing completely. I tried downloading and running Apple Software Update for Windows but that only added iTunes and the iCloud app.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
How well do Google’s services integrate with the built-in Mac apps? Specifically, Mail with a Gmail account, Calendar with Google Calendar data, and Address Book with Google Contacts.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I’m on 10.12.6 and backing up via Time Machine. If I upgrade to 10.13.1 and have issues, can I use my Time Machine backup to go back to 10.12.6, or is that only possible with something like Carbon Copy Cloner?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
How do I share via AirDrop the URL for a Safari web page that I have open?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

Just installed Mojave.

Loving Dark Mode and Safari seems to be much improved.

Alfred's lost all of my website bookmarks though. I'm hoping telling my computer to index itself again will bring them back.

https://twitter.com/alfredapp/status/1044536183269871618

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can I use Automator or an AppleScript to open a set of web sites in Safari? I check the same sites every morning and it would be great to be able to load them all in tabs with a single command.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can anyone recommend an alarm clock app? There are quite a few on the Mac App Store but many of the top rated ones haven't been updated in a long time.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there an app or shortcut that can change mouse settings with a single action? Specifically I’d like to toggle between two presets for tracking speed and scroll direction.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Are there any significant non-Apple Arcade roguelikes on the App Store other than Darkest Dungeon and Bad North?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is HandBrake still the free go-to app for DVD ripping?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there recommended software for creating and burning disk images?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

the_lion posted:

Toast used to be the best app for that, but I'd just use disk utility these days.

Oh poo poo, this is exactly what I needed. I forgot it existed! Thank you!

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
This popup started showing up after I installed Big Sur:

I had no idea what it was, so after poking around I found this stuff in /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions:

And all these in /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Frameworks/EveUSB.framework/Versions/A/Support:

Any idea what this stuff is? I don't own any CalDigit products, or have any kind of RAID array.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

BobHoward posted:

There are exceptions. Apple's own apps (and third party apps written to Apple's guidelines) try to minimize activity whenever there's no user-visible (or user-audible) effects. So, if you have a Safari window open with a bunch of tabs, all the tabs that aren't the selected tab have substantial restrictions on how much javascript etc. they're allowed to run. If the entire window's obscured, whether because you've hidden the app, other windows are in front of it, or it's in a different space, same deal.

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" base model running Big Sur. In order to squeeze as many frames as possible out of games, I am in the habit of quitting all open apps — pretty much all Apple apps (Calendar, Mail, Safari, Messages) with only two third-party apps (1Password & Things). Is what I'm doing unnecessary?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

BobHoward posted:

I wouldn't expect Calendar, Mail, or Messages to ever matter.

On an 8GB computer like yours, Safari with a lot of open windows/tabs could use enough memory to make things uncomfortable for a game that needs lots of RAM, so it might make a difference even if Safari is successfully preventing itself from using lots of CPU.

A lot depends on the game, too. What games are you doing this for?

Hollow Knight (GOG version), which does drop frames unless I turn graphics settings down. I usually play 2D indie stuff with some emulation mixed in (RetroArch PSX with CRT shaders at the most CPU/GPU intensive).

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a Mac equivalent to NVIDIA's ShadowPlay? Something that is constantly recording and will save a predetermined chunk of video to my drive via a keybind.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Are uTorrent and Transmission from the OP still okay clients for downloading?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for the recs! I'll stick to Transmission since I'm just snatching, if later on my use case changes now I know what to use. :tipshat:

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I have a bunch of 3840x2160 120 FPS HEVC videos. What software can I use to batch crop them to 2732x2048?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Handbrake should be able to do that I believe

https://handbrake.fr/

Hasturtium posted:

Yep, seconding Handbrake. Create a custom profile to output your video to 2048p, then simply add each video you want with an output filename, save to the queue, and when you’ve added them all, run the queue. It’s great for fire and forget bulk conversions.

I appreciate y'all. :thanks: Incredible that free software does this, I thought I'd have to poney up some cash.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Cross-posting from the iOS thread:

Any recommendations for non-subscription software to make 2D layouts? My primary need is to be able to keep things to scale according to my measurements. Here’s an example of what I want to convert to raster form and have correct scaled dimensions:

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I used TouchDraw on my iPad a few years ago for just that purpose. Don’t know if there’s a MacOS port.

Looks like there is! Thanks for the heads up on that app, it looks like a great option!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

tuyop posted:

just sketchup at this point. The iPad app is useful for checking dimensions on the go, may have some premium features but I haven’t checked on those because the desktop app is free and perfect

I'll check this out as well, thank you!