Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

There have been updates to iOS and iTunes in the past few days. Are those two up to date? Just a shot in the dark, really, I know on Windows iTunes is responsible for installing the software that allows iPhone to tether, and all the software churn lately has got a lot of people in a weird spot. For example everything works for me (including USB tether), but WiFi sync absolutely refuses to work. All the usual troubleshooting steps don't work either. It's infuriating. Every time Apple does something big it's like this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Pivo posted:

There have been updates to iOS and iTunes in the past few days. Are those two up to date? Just a shot in the dark, really, I know on Windows iTunes is responsible for installing the software that allows iPhone to tether, and all the software churn lately has got a lot of people in a weird spot. For example everything works for me (including USB tether), but WiFi sync absolutely refuses to work. All the usual troubleshooting steps don't work either. It's infuriating. Every time Apple does something big it's like this though.

All that stuff's up to date, but that's a great point. I'll wait until the dust settles from all these updates and take things from there if the functionality is still gone. Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

terre packet posted:

I use my iPhone 6's Personal Hotspot via USB to get online with my 2015 MacBook Pro 13". Yesterday after a restart, the USB Interface option randomly and literally disappeared from the Network preference pane.

I can still get online with a Personal Hotspot via Bluetooth, and tried a different cable to eliminate a faulty USB cable. Any suggestions on how I can get my precious wired connection back?

Try deleting all your network preferences from here and restarting. I had to do that before to get some MBPs online.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

How do I downgrade from the El Capitan GM to Yosemite?

Out of interest, what's making you want to downgrade? Not calling you out at all, just curious.

I've been running ElCap since the first beta (in a dual boot with my existing Yosemite install) and I've found it to be an improvement all round. I've actually begrudged having to boot back into Yosemite to open my Photos library (I didn't want to risk migrating my data to a beta), and I don't want to install the GM just in case there's a last minute change, but I'll be upgrading my main install to ElCap the moment it's released for real.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else run into issues with iTunes 12.3 and El Cap GM? I keep getting this annoying as hell message stating "Unable to connect to iTunes purchases: A communication error has occurred. iTunes will try to connect again later." All I can do is click OK, and half an hour later the icon is bouncing in the dock with the same message. iTunes also still refuses to remember that I turn Shuffle on for my podcasts (so it only plays one at a time instead of going down the entire feed), but that's been happening for at least a year now :(

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Froist posted:

Out of interest, what's making you want to downgrade? Not calling you out at all, just curious.

I've been running ElCap since the first beta (in a dual boot with my existing Yosemite install) and I've found it to be an improvement all round. I've actually begrudged having to boot back into Yosemite to open my Photos library (I didn't want to risk migrating my data to a beta), and I don't want to install the GM just in case there's a last minute change, but I'll be upgrading my main install to ElCap the moment it's released for real.

If there's a change between GM and release you'll just get it as an update...

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Froist posted:

Just a hardware incompatibility that won't be fixed until after the official release. El Capitan is quite nice, but I guess I can wait a bit longer.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

terre packet posted:

I use my iPhone 6's Personal Hotspot via USB to get online with my 2015 MacBook Pro 13". Yesterday after a restart, the USB Interface option randomly and literally disappeared from the Network preference pane.

I can still get online with a Personal Hotspot via Bluetooth, and tried a different cable to eliminate a faulty USB cable. Any suggestions on how I can get my precious wired connection back?

Same problem, can get on via wifi but usb tether is gone completely.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Just got this email:

"We recently introduced new, more affordable iCloud storage plans and your 200GB plan’s monthly price will be reduced from £2.49 per month to £2.49 per month."

Sweet deal!

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I was recently given one of these: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook_pro_2.16.html and for shits and giggles, I'd like to get it going again. The hardware is fine, but it has no OS installed on it. When it was given to me, no discs were included and I have no macOS installation discs.
Can someone point me to a downloadable image for osX 10.5 that I can burn to disc? I know that I can buy them, but the laptop is almost 10 years old and I dont want to invest any money in getting it going if at all possible. Thanks.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Can someone point me to a downloadable image for osX 10.5 that I can burn to disc? I know that I can buy them, but the laptop is almost 10 years old and I dont want to invest any money in getting it going if at all possible. Thanks.

I can't give you a link as it's :filez:, but if you have any friends who have apple developer accounts they should be able to download an iso or dmg for you.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW, that particular laptop can run OS X 10.6.8, Snow Leopard.. ah but it costs $30 to order it from Apple, or $29 from Amazon. You said you didn't want to spend any money, so maybe beg around for someone with a Snow Leopard retail installer?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anyone using MacTeX with El Capitan? I can't seem to get a clean setup working, and kind of need LaTeX. It's sounding like El Capitan changed what apps are allowed to do with the /usr folder so I might need to wait for a fix from the TeX community.

Edit: I guess this is what I need

https://tug.org/mactex/UpdatingForElCapitan.pdf

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 19, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Where's the parrot gone :colbert:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Where's the parrot gone :colbert:
Beats the hell outta me! I was on vacation the last week. :confused:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Roobsa posted:

Just got this email:

"We recently introduced new, more affordable iCloud storage plans and your 200GB plan’s monthly price will be reduced from £2.49 per month to £2.49 per month."

Sweet deal!

They did actually lower the plan cost for the 200 GB and 1 TB tier while raising the 20 GB tier to 50 GB. At least they did in the US.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yup, I got an email today about my storage being increased from 20GB to 50GB. I don't really use it as storage but my phone backup was taking up enough space to not fit into the free storage quota and paying 79p a month is a much easier option than trying to delete stuff.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

phosdex posted:

Same problem, can get on via wifi but usb tether is gone completely.

I can connect via USB tethering, but not wifi. Hmm.. :\

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks for this, I use LaTeX a lot as well but hadn't gotten around to setting it up on El Cap yet.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Binary Badger posted:

BTW, that particular laptop can run OS X 10.6.8, Snow Leopard.. ah but it costs $30 to order it from Apple, or $29 from Amazon. You said you didn't want to spend any money, so maybe beg around for someone with a Snow Leopard retail installer?

The funny thing is, theres a OSX installer disc jammed in the drive! I have no clue what version it is, and I cant get it to eject (pushing/holding down the eject button does nothing). I can boot from it but when I try to install, it tells me that this version of OSX cant be installed on this hardware. Weirdness.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I've got a mid-2013 Air running 10.9.5 and poo poo has been getting weird lately. My Mac Store is totally broken and cannot connect to the servers, I'm getting all sorts of weird certificate errors on HTTPS sites (I've tried clearing the issues with certificates under Utilities), and now Safari is loading pages with broken scripts and disorganized layout. I want to get to Yosemite but am kind of at a loss currently, Googling says to get a torrented copy or doing a flatten + reinstall, does that sound about right? Or should I buck up and go see the Apple Store?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TACD posted:

Thanks for this, I use LaTeX a lot as well but hadn't gotten around to setting it up on El Cap yet.
I never did get my LaTeXTools working in Sublime Text (maybe it needs an update?) with El Capitan but TeXShop is working just fine with a BasicTeX installation.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Is there any option or command line wizardry to absolutely force my iTunes library to stay fixed at a particular directory, even when that directory is an unmounted drive? I've migrated my library to an external drive, which works fine, but if I make the grave mistake of launching iTunes while that drive isn't mounted, it reverts to to default (internal storage) directory. I want to use 0% of my internal storage on my library (which raises another question -- possible to store album artwork, caches, etc. externally?) and don't want it to bite me in the rear end again, when I launch iTunes, add a bunch of new stuff to my library, get album artwork, rearrange tracks, etc. and whoops! It's adding it to the default directory because I forgot to mount the external drive.

Keep the iTunes Library files & folders on your local, with an alias to the "iTunes Media" and "Album Artwork" folders that sits on the external drive.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
edit: Nothing to see here. Fixed it.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 19, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

enojy posted:

Is there any option or command line wizardry to absolutely force my iTunes library to stay fixed at a particular directory, even when that directory is an unmounted drive? I've migrated my library to an external drive, which works fine, but if I make the grave mistake of launching iTunes while that drive isn't mounted, it reverts to to default (internal storage) directory. I want to use 0% of my internal storage on my library (which raises another question -- possible to store album artwork, caches, etc. externally?) and don't want it to bite me in the rear end again, when I launch iTunes, add a bunch of new stuff to my library, get album artwork, rearrange tracks, etc. and whoops! It's adding it to the default directory because I forgot to mount the external drive.

Move the entire ~/Music/iTunes directory over to the external drive.
Use Alt-click to start iTunes. It will ask you for a library location.
Point it to the external drive.
Make sure it is set up so that all the directories in the preferences point to the external drive.

Hopefully, from now on, if iTunes ever tries to start or save or anything, really, without the drive attached, it will simply say that the library isn't available and give you an option to pick a new one. This should be your cue to cancel, quit, re-mount the drive, and re-start — with a bit of luck, it'll load correctly from the start; if not, re-start while holding Alt again and pick the correct library. In particular, this should render it impossible to accidentally mix locations the way you're describing — if you don't have access to the drive, you can't load that iTunes library so you can't add anything in the wrong location to it.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Laminator posted:

I've got a mid-2013 Air running 10.9.5 and poo poo has been getting weird lately. My Mac Store is totally broken and cannot connect to the servers, I'm getting all sorts of weird certificate errors on HTTPS sites (I've tried clearing the issues with certificates under Utilities), and now Safari is loading pages with broken scripts and disorganized layout. I want to get to Yosemite but am kind of at a loss currently, Googling says to get a torrented copy or doing a flatten + reinstall, does that sound about right? Or should I buck up and go see the Apple Store?

First thing to check with certificate errors like this is to make absolutely sure your date, time and time zone are correct. Pretty difficult for this to gently caress up these days with ntp and whathaveyou but it can still happen.

If that's good, open Keychain Access and make sure you have root certificates intact. Maybe do keychain first aid but I don't know if that will do anything with the system roots.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Granite Octopus posted:

First thing to check with certificate errors like this is to make absolutely sure your date, time and time zone are correct. Pretty difficult for this to gently caress up these days with ntp and whathaveyou but it can still happen.

If that's good, open Keychain Access and make sure you have root certificates intact. Maybe do keychain first aid but I don't know if that will do anything with the system roots.

Ah, I had tried all of that before but you mentioning root certificates brought up some new information and I found a solution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6984765

Looks like an update earlier this year messed up some certificates, just had to delete the "login" certificates that were acting up and now things seem to be working again. Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Yahoo Sports notification center app is hilariously terrible and broken. Any good alternatives?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Does theScore do what you want?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm on 10.11 (I don't know what beta version it is), and the only thing that fucks me up is every time I open a new tab in Chrome, the cursor is in the URL bar for a second and then it disappears. Sort of interfering with my work flow. I know that's what you get for installing a beta on a work machine but whatever.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I have the GM seed of el capitan installed atm, now apple's telling me 10.11.1 pub beta is out

my understanding is if i stay on the gm seed it becomes the official version once its properly released, right? but what happens if i download the .1 public beta, will I be stuck on the beta release track even after el capitan comes out?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

El Capitan is already out though - can you install it from the Purchases section of the Mac App Store?

edit: Oh, Sept 30th, I had to download something from Purchases, must have been the GM.

Just unenroll from the beta channel:

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/unenroll

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 22, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

El Capitan is already out though - can you install it from the Purchases section of the Mac App Store?
Only the GM Candidate. Release date is the 30th, at which point people running the candidate will likely need to run an update or reinstall to get off of the beta track. For now just hide 10.11.1 beta from the Updates tab if you don't want it installed automatically/accidentally.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If anyone is concerned about their copy of Xcode:

code:
spctl --assess --verbose /Applications/Xcode.app
Should return 'accepted', with a source being 'Apple', 'Apple System', or 'Mac App Store'. Might take a few minutes to process the command.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PRADA SLUT posted:

If anyone is concerned about their copy of Xcode:

code:
spctl --assess --verbose /Applications/Xcode.app
Should return 'accepted', with a source being 'Apple', 'Apple System', or 'Mac App Store'. Might take a few minutes to process the command.

Thanks. Does this have to do with the recent "Chinese malware" thing? I pretty much ignored it because I tell myself I'm not a dummy that downloads malware, but I'm also uninformed. Was the App Store version of Xcode actually infected?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

enojy posted:

Thanks. Does this have to do with the recent "Chinese malware" thing? I pretty much ignored it because I tell myself I'm not a dummy that downloads malware, but I'm also uninformed. Was the App Store version of Xcode actually infected?
No, copes of Xcode from the App Store were always safe. Developers in China were downloading copies of Xcode from other sites, which were infected.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why the heck would you download xcode from some 3rd party mirror? I guess to get faster download speed if you're in China?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Last Chance posted:

why the heck would you download xcode from some 3rd party mirror? I guess to get faster download speed if you're in China?

Hackintoshes?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Last Chance posted:

I thought someone said earlier it was because it takes so drat long to download it in China that people go looking for local sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Long shot, but anybody have a still valid coupon for a discounted license of AirServer?