Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oh My Science posted:

Videos just stop loading at random requiring a refresh of the browser. On some occasions it will start to play again after 30-60 seconds. It will do this multiple times per video. I've tried the usual tricks but nothing seems to work.

Hmm… I get that, but it happens at the same time too often and too inconsistently to be able to say if it has anything to do with the browser or the OS. So I'd just stick with blaming youtube, personally. Recently, it has also started to default all new videos to zero volume on half of the computers around here for no obvious reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oh My Science posted:

I get this as well, just forgot about it.

Fiki posted:

Getting this as well. And three finger swipe to go forward/back in Finder isn't working for me either.

Apparently, it's a known issue and they're working on it. It can supposedly be fixed in the mean-time by doing a complete reinstall of Flash.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Is there a way to reset the badge on mail.app to 0 without having to actually mark all e-mails as read?

A bit of a faff, but… if you don't want to use archiving, one work-around would be to create a combination of auto-flagging/tagging and a smart mailbox. If you can figure out a rule or tag for everything you want to see (or not see), you can make the smart mailbox only contain or exclude those mails, and then tell mail to use that smart mailbox as the “Dock unread count”.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

dino. posted:

Look at that. It's like "Is that the best you can do? HAH!" In the past, being unplugged meant that the computer would drag rear end for a while as it switched to power save mode.

…speaking of which, is it silly of me to be absolutely in love with the new activity monitor? I don't know what it is, but it just seems so much more clearer and intuitive and informative than the old one. :3:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

jeeves posted:

Rabble rabble new white 2d dock sucks rabble rabble

Yeah, I really don't get that choice… surely they must have noticed the awful contrast this creates. :confused:
I suppose that some mechanism for changing it will develop that doesn't rely on byte-hacking system files, but come on! It shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Are all these crappy peripheral apps that Adobe sprinkles over your applications folder safe to delete? I want to simply trash them and leave just the photoshop and illustrator folders, because those are what I actually told the installer to install, dammit adobe!

Same goes for office 2011 I guess, with microsoft communicator and all that...

Most of them can be nuked pretty safely. The installers it dumps in the Utilities folder are probably best left alone, though, since you might need those to make CreativeCloud behave properly again if it begins flaking out.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

IUG posted:

Yeah, it had an address on the location, and I remember trying to change the alert time so that it seemed to reference travel, but couldn't figure it out.
…also, does it (or did it) know where it was right then? Having only experimented with it a little, I'd imagine that if you disallow calendar from reading your current location (or if it can't because you run entirely wired), it won't be able to calculate travel time in any meaningful way.

Neurophonic posted:

Is anybody else finding that some apps on Mavericks refuse to stay logged in? So far SimpleNote, DeskConnect and Evernote are the most prominent problem apps. I've removed and reinstalled them all from the MAS but no joy, even wiping out all preferences doesn't make a blind bit of difference either.
Have you checked that they're not app-napping? Depending on how they manage that connection, it's entirely possible that they time out or just get disconnected because OSX decides they've been to inactive to be allowed their normal CPU allotment. Of course, it should detect that they're trying to create or maintain that connection, but still…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

iostream.h posted:

Any advice on the best Youtube downloader?
Mostly it's for ripping the audio from ambient storm soundtracks and stuff (mainly to sleep) since my bandwidth is capped so low, I can't just throw something on and let it play.

“Best” is subjective. I use MacTubes and it has always served me well. It breaks every now and then when youtube updates the page structure, but the program has received quick updates to match.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

phosdex posted:

But how do you know which videos are sigint false flag parallel construction Obama hitler deceptions then?

That's easy: they're on the internet.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yup. It's a Haswell thing.

You can still change the settings through the terminal using pmset, if you really want to.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Red posted:

So I've upgraded to Snow Leopard (finally), and now that I'm ready to go Mavericks, I want to make sure I should.

I meet the minimum requirements, but here's my computer profile:

Model: MacBook5,1
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2 GB

It's really going to chafe with that amount of memory, but as always it'll depend on what you intend to do with the machine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

the_lion posted:

Will it still work I guess I'm meaning. Or will I have to reinstall windows?

It will still work. Your bootcamp install doesn't care about any other OSes you have on your system and short of nuking the windows partition, nothing in the OSX install cares about what else you might have there either.

At most, if you've installed something special like rEFIt, you might have to reinstall or re-bless your boot loader, but again, I don't think the OSX installed fiddles with any of that unless you start altering the partitioning of the drive.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I just use InCopy… but maybe that's a bit overkill for most kinds of work. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

How can LaTeX not be the smuggest?

“So you wrote your [ paper | report | essay | book ] huh…? Well, I programmed mine.” :smuggo:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

carry on then posted:

You marked it up.

It's turing complete. That's all that matters (and it lets you be smug about calling turing complete to boot).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

pipes! posted:

May I take this opportunity to recommend TotalFinder.

I just wish someone would do an actual TotalCommander version for OSX. :(

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

carry on then posted:

I'm surprised that version still works, honestly. You're not missing much except a terrible one window interface and more ads.

Well, it no longer recognises my iSight (ever since the update that removed the old drivers, and none of the updates since have been able to restore the functionality)… so there's that, if new versions even fix that problem.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

japtor posted:

Tried any alternatives? Seems like there's a bunch of candidates...with varying opinions of each, but depending on what you need it for one of them might work out. List of a bunch I just found now:

Forklift http://www.binarynights.com/forklift/
DCommander http://www.devstorm-apps.com/dcommander-mac/
Disk Order http://www.likemac.ru/english/
Path Finder http://cocoatech.com/pathfinder/
FastCommander http://osx-fastcommander.appspot.com/
CRAX http://www.ewas.pl/crax/
Mover http://www.themaninhat.com/mover.html
Leap http://www.ironicsoftware.com/leap/
muCommander http://www.mucommander.com/
Double Commander http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net/
Some of those are new, but I've tried most of them.

The main thing they tend to miss is that they're not designed around the concept that mice are useless and should be chucked out the window, and/or that they lack the mass selection and manipulation tools that made the Commanders so powerful. They pretty much universally try to be Finder-replacements with added functionality, rather than actual *Commander equivalents. Most of the ones in that list (that I've tried) that purport to have “full keyboard control” tend to lack such basic functionality as jumping to and selecting files with a single key, which earns them a place in the bin on test #1.

Even apps that come close, such as Forklift, are unintuitive in how the commands are handled — they're hidden away and they don't treat selections in a consistent manner. Customisation is minimal or focused in the wrong area or, just to pour salt in the wounds, slow as molasses. Some of that is just a (multi-)decade old workflow that is deeply set in muscle memory that I would like to (but generally can't) replicate, but some of it is just good old UI failure on the developers part.

The one that I haven't tried that looks at least somewhat promising has no demo and split reviews… so the dream remains that Ghisler takes up OSX development. :eng99:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

pipes! posted:

the mouse is a perfectly acceptable input device and if you care that hard get better at bash or whatever

The mouse is an insanely inefficient input device for mass manipulation of listed items. The only thing that is worse is bash, since it requires entire commands rather than gestures — it's only advantage is in batching those commands. So no, I'd rather have a keyboard-based file manager that is quick and efficient and, for that purpose, built around the quickest input device available.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

vkeios posted:

jesus, instead of writing all this silly nonsense, you could have just downloaded and compiled midnight commander.

For one, MC is nice, but it's ageing. In particular, it's missing a lot of the multi-location and batch manipulation. It certainly keeps NC alive, but NC is over a decade old. It's great for SSH; not for local/desktop use.

For another, what's with all this hostility against having good tools available for OSX when there's a gold standard available in Windows that so many attemt to, but fail to, emulate?

pipes! posted:

are these your hands

If they were, bash would perhaps be an option (if nothing else because all the relevant man pages would be loaded into the brain).

To be slightly more constructive: assuming you have no particular disabilities that prevent standard computer use, imagine you had to write your posts, not by typing on a keyboard, but having to use the mouse to click away on the on-screen keyboard. That's the difference in speed and ergonomics I'm talking about between what most of these programs offer and how the proper implementations do it. In a way, the ones that do it half-way are actually even more frustrating — imagine (in the same scenario) being able to use the keyboard for everything except whitespace, which you have to click the on-screen keyboard to input.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 23, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ninja Rope posted:

It sounds like you're describing using the command line. Why do you not think that is a good solution to your problem?

Because it's hellalot slower and relies on being a grand master at grep.

japtor posted:

Yeah the guy just likes keyboard controls, seems like an overreaction to a (possibly :spergin:?) post about it.
Weeeell… kind of. The thing that made the Commander series so good, going all the way back to the Norton days, is that it's action oriented and that all the crucial actions are literally available at your fingertips without having to reach over for a peripheral to guide it all over the screen. Hence the “designed around the concept that mice are useless and should be chucked out the window” part: because back in the day, mouse functionality was pretty much completely a secondary consideration and because, even now, shooting off an action with almost every hit of a key is much more efficient than chasing around the screen for buttons and menus.

It's kind of the same as why things like Quicksilver or Alfred has such a die-hard following: it boils down a workflow to its barest essentials and does it exceedingly well by giving intelligent and immediate access to the actions you're interested in without having to hunt them down manually. Sure, Spotlight can do some of it, but not as well, and if you knew the ins and outs of find(1) and piping and regular expressions, you could conceivably do the same in bash… but why do either of those when Quicksilver or Alfred do their thing so much better?

quote:

Probably doesn't make a difference, but have you tried messing with custom keyboard shortcuts (in System Prefs)? Otherwise I noticed Forklift has a key binding tab in preferences where you can set whatever, with an "enable keyboard selection" checkbox. Not that it matters cause I don't know what functionality is/isn't there for you.
Admittedly, Forklift comes very close. Close enough that it becomes an uncanny-valley kind of of problem instead: the workflow can almost be transferred wholesale, but there are a few crucial differences that you constantly stumble over and some (almost purely informative) UI bits are missing to the point where it's at times more frustrating than if it worked completely differently.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 23, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

pipes! posted:

Regexes are designed to do the kind of mass-yet-nuanced-manipulation you desire. If you're feeling inadequate about your regex-fu, why not dedicate the time spent bemoaning the lack of some sort of mythical solution that solves your incredibly fringe needs to, I dunno, getting better at the one thing that will get you where you're going? Bash is awful, yes, but I guarantee you that for what you want to do some sort of niche ported Finder wrapper will get you what you want at the expense of being worse for your everyday usage.

Seriously, you've been served probably one of the most comprehensive round ups of Finder replacements that I've ever seen ever, and summarily pooh-pooed the lot, all while grouchily harking to a neigh-nonexistent paradigm of computer usage that had it's heyday around the time we all collectively gave up using light pens. MC is showing it's age because it's old, and it sounds like you, the individual, have failed to move past it.
“Fringe”, “esoteric”, “nigh-nonexistent”, “[implied] stuck in the past”…? How sweet of you, do go on. :allears:

Ok, I'll bite right back.

Because it's not a mythical solution or a fringe need — that's just you being clueless about the topic. It's a solution that is well-known, well-used, and that has existed and evolved over decades. Again, the main problem with the ones suggested is that they just don't go all the way in emulating the software they're meant to emulate… for some reason. Maybe they want to retain some ephemeral Mac:ishness that just ends up getting in the way of what they're supposed to be. I'm not just “summarily pooh-pooing” anything. I've tried everything in that list (except the one that offers no demo); I have decades of experience with the line of programs they're trying to emulate; I can tell you with confidence why they don't match up.

Bash is not the solution because it's much clumsier; much slower and, yes, even with masterful regex-fu, less precise. This also has nothing to do with OSX being visually oriented (after all, all the modern *Commander versions are), but with a consistent failure to implement basic functionality. In fact, the lack of, or inconsistent use of visual elements is what ultimately trips up the program in that list that comes the closest to the original.

Your tone is frankly appalling here. Your suggestions fall right into the category of “what is this quacksilver thing? Just use spotlight if you want to find stuff” levels of ignorance. Ok, you don't use these tools. That's fine. Then don't try to “correct” my looking for something that implements a common workflow.

And that's just it: I'm not looking for a Finder replacement — I already have one of those. I'm looking for a file manager of a particular family (or paradigm if you like), of which there are plenty of examples, but none of which actually do what they're aiming to do. Again, imagine that someone wrote a word processor that only accepted some of the alphanumeric keys on your keyboard — the rest had to be fed in using the mouse. That's the level of implementation oddness I'm talking about here.

I've moved way past MC (except over SSH) because the state of the software that traces its roots back to NC has done so… except for some inconceivable reason, the OSX implementations are lagging behind in what made the entire concept great to begin with.

quote:

The other thing worth thinking about is if you find yourself constantly needing this kind and scale of file manipulation, it may belie a greater workflow issue. Have you thought about what services like Automator or Hazel could do for you?
Sure, but they'll rely on the same kind of non-generic and slow input as the solutions I'm trying to avoid, and again: why should I go there when what I'm looking for is so tantalisingly close, except for some mindboggling missteps the developers have made?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 23, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

japtor posted:

Re: CommanderChat, maybe think of them as alternatives rather than full replacements (not that it'll change your opinion of them :v:). Like Apple's, Microsoft's, or Google's various apps, the purpose is the same but the execution makes them different. They could be using TC as a basis conceptually and replicating this or that feature, but not necessarily cloning the whole app, like they're commander type app for Mac users rather than necessarily something specifically for TC users (like you want), although I'm sure they hope for some crossover there. Even if they are trying to be clones it's probably just a matter of getting some basics down to be good enough for however many people, like Pixelmator vs Photoshop. It's missing a lot of stuff and weaker in many ways, but the basic stuff makes it decent enough on its own.

I suppose. It's just that it boggles my mind how close some of them has gotten to TC and then tripped over some small (but crucial) detail. It's obvious what they're trying to do, but also obvious that they haven't succeeded. Forklift is definitely a contender — had I started there and then gone over to TC at some point in time, I would have been pleased as Punch.

…but I mean, how do they manage to screw up selection?! Maybe there's just some setting I've overlooked, but it sure looks like they've managed to introduce two separate selection systems that overlap but don't interact (i.e. select a range with one system; use the other to invert the selection, and yet the range stays selected…).

Ninja Rope posted:

Saying "why don't you try this" is at least attempting to help. The alternative would be to say nothing like that exists, just give up?

Yup. There were indeed some on that list that I hadn't tried, or that had received major updates since I last went on this quest, but they were consistently missing features — notably proper keyboard control. The list itself certainly belies the notion that it's somehow an esoteric or fringe request. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Splinter posted:

Have you tried running it in Wine (or CrossOver)? Looks like at least some versions run well on OSX.

I've thought about it. My main worry is that since it often calls for various meta-key combinations, and since a fair amount of other windows programs I run that way can be a bit… flaky, let's say, when responding to those keys, it will turn out a mess. Still, worth a try, I suppose.

Also, I managed to get a hand on a copy of DCommander. It's a fairly faithful adaptation, actually, with customisation being its main blind spot.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

uggy posted:

Don't think so. I did some googling and it seems like people have had this problem, typically in Chrome.

I've had something similar occur, mainly in browsers (or, more likely, that's where I notice it because I scroll around a lot). It just stops unless I try again a couple of times or if I explicitly places the pointer over the scroll bar and scrolls there. No idea what's causing it. At first I was afraid it was a trackpad issue, but the fact that it still tracks the mouse just fine and responds immediately if I place it somewhere more scroll-specific suggests that something simply loses track of the fact that I'm already over a scrollable area.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I've got a Mini running 10.4.11 that I don't use for much, and I wanted to make it into a little media server. What's the cheapest and simplest path to upgrading OS? There's lots of stuff that 10.4 just doesn't do.

App store is telling me I can't download Mavericks without at least snow leopard, I guess.

The first question is: how much RAM does it have?
Even if you're just going to have it serve content, some of the later versions will quickly become really sluggish unless they have some room to play.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It looks from that list — and from what vaguely I remember of earlier versions — like you can use a 5-year gap as a general rule of thumb. If the hardware and the OS is more than 5 years apart, you might want to start thinking about upgrading (or stop updating the OS). For higher-end machines, you might get a bit more; for lower-end, a bit less.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Caged posted:

Good stuff.

Something I just discovered by accident - Option (Alt) plus a function key brings up the System Preferences for that function. So Option + Volume opens the Sound settings, Option + Display Brightness opens the Display settings, same for Mission Control and Keyboard.

Now try Shift + Option and the same function keys — fine-tune options for things like brightness and volume.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I use the Youtube Options plugin for safari for in-browser downloads and MacTubes for more integrated mass-downloading.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

vikingstrike posted:

Not in front of a Mac at the moment, but is there not a "Recently Close Tabs" section in the History menu?

The main problem is that closed tabs don't retain their browsing history. You can't reopen a closed tab and then use the back button to go to a previous page. Sure, the page visit will (probably) be in the overall browser history but you will have to find it yourself since the browser doesn't associate it with the tab you just reopened.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Neurophonic posted:

Undo to reopen last closed tab definitely remembers the tab's own history when restored. I'm not in front of my mac to test the menu list myself but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least possible via an extension. Maybe SafariStand or Glims or something.

You're using a very different version of Safari then. I have no “reopen last closed tab” — just undo close tab (which I can use to restore any number of tabs), and it definitely does not remember any history.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 23, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Then I'll have to dig around a bit because what you describe is almost the exact opposite of how my Safari operates.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

After some digging around…

Axiem posted:

Now I realize that my old Tab 2 had something on it that I wanted.

Ctrl-Z will "Undo typing", which doesn't help. I don't have anything in the "History" menu that allows me to open tabs that I previously closed. I do see the two articles from Tab 2 on that list (god forbid I clicked even more on foobar.com in-between), but clicking on either article overwrites the tab I'm currently in. I can middle-click, which does open a new tab, but it means I have a new tab, when what I wanted was Tab 2 back, with its full history stack.
What ⌘Z does will depend on the context. If you have a text field in focus, it undoes typing. If you have a general page or tab in focus, it will revert to undo close tab.

quote:

I have seen Glims mentioned as a possibility, but then when I go to a page to download it, I see various comments talking about ads. I will look into SafariStand.
It turns out that Glims was my problem, and rather counter-intuitively, it was its “undo close tabs” option that prevented Safari from undoing tabs with full history. :bang:

And the ads are entirely optional.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Axiem posted:

But it won't let me undo close tabs multiple times, which is what I want: to grab the tab that I closed 3 closed tabs ago.

Well, maybe that's a Glims thing then (since I completely forgot that it has tab options — I only got it for the search engine mods… but it still works even if I disable that functionality so vOv), but I can do that just fine. Granted, I will have to do 3 undos to get that particular tab, so it's not the drop-down list other browsers might offer, but I can still undo my way through the stack and just re-close the ones I don't want.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Linx posted:

I'm really liking using Safari on my new Macbook, I honestly thought I'd just install Chrome and be done with it. Anyway, the only thing I really miss from Chrome is that little bar that shows the URL when you hover over a link (I want to say URL inspector?), I've googled around for an extension that emulates this with no success. Anyone know if this exists?

Link URLs are displayed in the status bar if you turn it on (⌘/)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Does any of that mean that I can finally migrate my itunes library to a new drive (or, gasp!, computer) without having to rebuild it from scratch and re-authenticate every item and every device?
Does it mean that it will no longer quietly reset itself if the drive doesn't respond instantly (or even, gasp again!, ask for user input before deleting itself)?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Hey, moving a folder from one place to another isn't the easiest thing in the world.

…especially when it doesn't actually work and just causes itunes to say “so, I see you have no library — let me wipe it out for you so you can add everything back in again” (never mind the contradiction in wiping something out that it apparently can't find). And when I say “say”, I mean “just do it without telling the user”. In fact, a lot of it is just down to iTunes not asking the user anything and just happily nuking itself if it can't find its library.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lawen posted:

It's been a while since I moved my iTunes library to my NAS but I don't remember having any of those problems. IIRC all you should have to do is go into iTunes prefs, change your "Library Location" to point to the new volume and directory, then run the Organize (or Consolidate maybe?) My Library command and wait for it to complete.

In fact, iTunes is bad about coping with an unmounted NFS volume causing it to fall back to the default Library location if my NAS isn't mounted when iTunes starts. It'll start fragmenting my library, putting new stuff on local disk while everything else stays in its original location on the NAS. Running through the above steps works fine to get everything back on the NAS.

It's some variation of the latter problem I always suffer from, with the added bonus that I can't just point to the correct location because then it somehow gets the idea that it should start adding what's in there to the library, and now everything is duplicated. And of course, those dupes are different entries so they won't sync with any connected devices and getting rid of them runs the risk of killing an entry that is actually the old “correct” one, at which point the whole re-authentication problem pops up.

Now, granted, it's been ages since I tried it too, so maybe later versions have stopped being quite so stupid, but the whole “yes, let's reset this key setting without any prompting or input” behaviour just infuriates me. I understand that Apple prefer to hide as much of the innards as possible from the user, but sometimes, that kind of automated responses just needlessly breaks things.

:negative:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

flavor posted:

Yeah, I've had my iTunes library on external volumes for years now. There may have been some issues at some points, but that was a long time ago.
The same issues are around today, most notable the whole settings reset if the volume doesn't respond for whatever reason.

quote:

Are you using iTunes 5 on Tiger or something?
No, latest everything. Otherwise I wouldn't (still) be complaining. Now, granted, it might very well be some very ancient and deprecated setting that has tagged along through the various upgrades, but the number of times I've had to rebuild the library from scratch makes me reticent to want to experiment with new installs.

quote:

Additionally, I'd recommend making backups.
Doesn't do away with the problem that iTunes just can't seem to get its head around that the files already exist (where they've always been) and is very fond of trying to add them back in if/when you tell it where they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

All this complicated advice.

1. Move your iTunes folder (may be called "iTunes" or "iTunes Library") to wherever the gently caress you want it.

2. Launch iTunes. It'll either find the folder still (if you moved it within the same volume) or it'll ask you to point it to the new location.

3. There is no step 3.
Yes there is.

Step 3 is called “you have now created a new library, as opposed to kept your old library, so you now have to re-authenticate all your purchases, re-sync all you devices (from scratch, all content on them will be lost) since they were synced to your old library, and very possibly end up with a bunch of dupes that somehow manage to point to files that already exist in the library, just for good measure”.

I accidentally did exactly what you described the first time, before I read up on how to consolidate libraries, and step 3 is becomes pretty horrific at that point. What you describe might work if the music is actually located in the iTunes folder… but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm guessing that this is also the assumption the Apple eggheads were making, which fed into all the bad assumptions that go into their automated and unprompted “fixes” for any errors that occur.

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Mine kept doing this, the solution that I ran into (and that seems to be working well), is to protect the iTunes file on the local disk so that iTunes can't modify it, and then you'll always get a prompt from iTunes to go locate the library and can go redirect it to the NAS library.
I've only briefly toyed around with this idea. Is it a stable solution or does it now require you to unprotect the file whenever you want to add or update the library?