Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Does anyone know of a top-secret highly-experimental method to turn off the scrollwheel acceleration?

I found the way to do it for the mouse pointer itself (defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1), but I have yet to find a way that works to do the same for scrolling. The acceleration may make sense for the trackpad, but it's very annoying on a mouse.

Yes, I found the scrolling speed slider in System Preferences, but all that does is limit the speed at the top of the curve. I want there to be no curve at all. I just want each click up or down on the scrollwheel to mean x lines up or down. Just like every other computer on the planet.

There has GOT to be a way to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Holy crap THANK you. That scratches my last UI itch.

So, by using a combination of Steermouse to fix the scroll wheel and Smoothmouse to fix the pointer, plus a custom DefaultKeyBinding to fix the Home and End keys and a custom NSDragAndDropTextDelay to get rid of the (downright dangerous) drag-and-drop of selected text... I can finally use this new Macbook without wanting to hurl it off a bridge. It's actually rather nice. :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

unclenutzzy posted:

I don't necessarily need to use the command line, it's just to expand my skillset. I only have a few years doing help desk, but I enjoy batch and PowerShell scripting so I was hoping I'd be able to do stuff with the Terminal and possibly get into a Unix sysadmin position down the road. I'm really just looking for ways off of the help desk and I thought maybe I could turn OS X server management into Unix experience. If that's not reasonable I need to know before I invest much time outside of work learning and studying it.

If you're hoping to be a unix sysadmin, you most definitely do need to get comfortable on a command line.

Some of the OSX Server things you learn will carry over to general Unix / Linux knowledge, but some of it will be Apple-specific. It might be hard to tell the difference if you're concentrating purely on OSX stuff and not also hacking around in Linux. By all means, take all the Apple training your work will give you, but if you want to get out of Apple at some point, start teaching yourself other systems too.

A great (and pretty cheap) way to get started in Linux is to get yourself a Raspberry Pi and make it into some cool little projects. There are a zillion how-to guides out there to get you going, and they'll teach you enough to start improvising your own ideas.

Linux thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159
Pi thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468084

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Silly but quick question: does MacOS have a way to execute a one-shot CLI command without opening a terminal window? Something similar to Win-R in Windows, or Alt-F2 in most Linuxes.

It seems a little silly to leave an entire terminal tab open just to sit there on my "firefox -p OtherProfileName" command, for example.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

japtor posted:

I can't think of anything by default to do that, but I feel like it'd be trivial to make something like that Automator or something. Hell I just did. Make an app and stick this in:

Big thanks, got partway there on this track but I'm running into problems involving the execution path, aliases, and other local things like that. I'll just look into one of those spotlight extensions.

Thanks again.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Last Chance posted:

if you make a text file called firefox.command, drop in your firefox -p "profile" thing into it, and make sure it has execution privileges you can just link that .command file to your dock or make a shortcut or soemthing and spotlight will also pick it up.

running that file will just execute the commands inside of it, sort of like a batch file on windows

Thanks, but the trouble with that is I'm not always running the same thing. :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who even needs email. Set up a rule to send it all to your trash. If someone emails you something important, they'll call in a few days.

I'll just Slack it to you, that's so much better than email for some reason. :suicide:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I'm hitting an annoying little feature of some sort with the trackpad on the new MacBook I got for work. Google is failing me, but maybe someone here will know what this is and how to turn it off or at least avoid it.

Sometimes, when I want to switch focus to a different window, I'll move the pointer to the one I want and tap the touchpad, and the current active window instantly jumps on top of it to that point, exactly as if I had dragged its titlebar there. This only happens occasionally, but often enough to be irritating. I'm not aware of anything I'm doing differently with that particular mouse move, and I've never been able to make it happen on purpose by trying to do odd things. This only happens with the touchpad; an external plug-in mouse always works as expected. In System Preferences -> Touchpad, I've turned off all the gesture crap by unchecking everything in all three sections except tap-to-click and two-finger secondary click, but there's still something in there that thinks I want to move the active window and helpfully does so for me.

Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hammerite posted:

The real question I have is, if we do get her back into her account, what's the best way to help her avoid this situation in future? I don't want to be their tech support on an ongoing basis, so I don't want to end up being the person who always sorts it all out for them. I am doing it on this occasion because I feel sorry for them because they lost their son. I want to get them into a position where they don't need me to help them out with this.

Don't over-complicate it. When/if they're able to reset the password, have them write it down and keep it in a safe place.

My parents' "password manager" is a recipe box on the computer desk. Each account gets a 3x5 card with all its info written out in pencil. This has potential drawbacks (e.g. fire, burglary) but for older people who are still, after all these years, not terribly confident working the computermajig, it works extremely well.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I paid for Steermouse like 8 or 10 years ago and I've been happily using it ever since to simply turn off the acceleration on both the scrollwheel and the pointer. Does macmousefix cover that case nowadays?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've had a 24" M1 iMac for two years now and I barely use it. Every time I try to force myself to use it I get hung on on one thing: the loving mouse pointer control in macOS sucks absolute poo poo.

At first I thought it was just the Apple Magic Mouse, and while that is the worst mouse I have ever used, it isn't just that. I have tried several different mice, Logitech's Logi+ app, 3rd party github mouse pointer apps. Nothing. The mouse acceleration always feels unnatural to me, causing me to over or undershoot the things I want to click constantly, no matter the settings. The scrolling, since they refuse to give you "one mouse wheel click = X number of lines no matter what" as an option, always feels laggy and jumpy. The hacks that attempt to override this only result in the scrolling being even more jumpy and sporadic.

Any other suggestions before I give up and sell this thing?

Steermouse. It's 20 bucks, which is a little ridiculous for something that should have just been a few settings in the OS to start with, but it does exactly what you're asking for here and does it well. I've been using it happily for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'll give this a shot since it has a free trial, but I've tried a few recommended github programs that I can't recall the name of that look just like this with the same options. The newest Logi Options+ combined with the MX Anywhere 3S (a very good mouse though a little overpriced) also more or less does this.

Basically macOS forces scroll acceleration on you in an attempt to make mouse wheels feel like touch scrolling. I don't want that, if I rotate the mouse wheel one click, then I want that to always move the page the same distance. In Windows, you define this by number of lines per mouse wheel rotational click which I set to "5". That way, when you spin the mouse wheel faster, the page scrolls faster in a consistent way. Every single thing I've tried that attempts to fix this ends up making it feel like the fix is fighting the macOS scroll behavior.

There's a Steermouse setting for exactly that. I use it myself, and it's the only thing I've found that actually works and doesn't run into the problems you describe.