Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fedule posted:

Have an annoying but esoteric issue that's being thoroughly ungooglable and that I can't narrow down definitively to one help thread so let's ask the macOS thread and see what happens.

YouTube seems to randomly jump ahead by a few minutes whenever I unpause a video. The amount of time seems to be random but always between 1-10 minutes or so. It happens regardless of if I press the given play button in the toolbar, press the play/pause button on my keyboard, click inside the video frame, or press the space bar. It happens regardless of any variation in the state of the video I've tried, including position in the video, resolution, theater mode etc, or airplay status. It also happens whether using YouTube's normal video player or something like Vinegar. Where do I even start with this?
I definitely don't have an answer, but some other troubleshooting suggestions: have you tried a different browser? And does it still do it if you're logged out of your YouTube account? Or if you're logged into your Mac as a different / guest user? After you've disabled all your Safari extensions (assuming this is in Safari)?

Maybe enable Keyboard Viewer and make sure that something isn't silently sending keyboard commands??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Grumbles posted:

What adblockers would people recommend for Safari? It's one of those things that's impossible to google because you get a load of machine-written listicles (which are also ironically slathered in ads).
AdGuard for me, because you can import all your custom uBlock filters and set up new ones by selecting specific page elements to block

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sonoma doesn't get the new ringtones and alert sounds from iOS 17, so I still can't have the same message tones on both devices :sigh:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

On Sonoma, yeah it's a very minor thing but drat, those lock screen/screen savers/smooth fade in to desktop are so cool.
Extremely Apple-haver problem but I was a bit disappointed to see it just snaps back to the beginning at the end of the loop instead of doing some gentle fade / transition.

OTOH it’s really nice to see the landscape desktops return, it seemed very weird to name your OS after beautiful locations and then make the desktop background an abstract colour smear

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Corb3t posted:

I've been primarily using a Apple devices since 2005, but I was recently given a Windows laptop for work, and hot drat is it jarring trying to get any real work done on it. Not having a top menubar for every app with quick access to keyboard shortcuts is so odd once you're used to having it. Keyboard shortcuts not visually showing that they're triggering like MacOS is really weird too. Mousing over ribbon menubar icons to figure out their keyboard shortcut is just so slow.

Plus the trackpad and keyboard are hot garbage - my body hates the fact that they gave me a laptop with a T10 numpad, shifting the trackpad and regular keys to the left.

If you’re allowed to install software, PowerToys is a good Microsoft utility with a few Apple-like functions (wiggle mouse to highlight, CTRL-Space brings up a launcher, shortcut guide) that you might like.

(I also have to use a Windows machine for work ☹️)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's insane to me that even after a new version number release of macOS it still has this dumb "Login Item Added" notification showing up every single time I login.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is there a current favourite app for home asset management? Delicious Library looks like it's not being maintained anymore.

I'm aware I could just use a spreadsheet and if there's nothing available that doesn't use a cursed subscription model, I probably will.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

FCKGW posted:

Delicious Library is “done” and the developer works at Apple now. He says he’s not adding any more features but will ensure it still works on new MacOS releases.
Ah cool, guess I’ll keep using that then, cheers!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Lord Bude posted:

I live with him, so can’t really sever. He is infuriating though. This is someone who keeps their computer disconnected from the internet unless they are actively using their web browser, and won’t do anything online until they’ve manually checked for updates that day and installed them.

He has a spreadsheet where he tracks how much he paid for fuel and what mileage he got out of that tank going back decades. He’s fundamentally broken.

Like, he can’t handle having a normal conversation with someone or having someone recount something. He expects people to communicate in executive summaries and bullet points, even in verbal conversation, with him ‘asking questions if he wants further elaboration on anything’ and gets frustrated when people don’t do that.
Let him do what he wants and when he complains the computer is running slow you can pull up activity monitor and show him Norton is eating all the CPU and battery (and if that never happens then there’s no problem).

E: Maybe show him how to use Homebrew for non-App Store apps so he can be happy running brew update every day :)

TACD fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 18, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

“Add apples to my shopping list”

Who is speaking?

“It’s me!”

OK, I’ve added nappies to your shopping list.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I feel like I'm very late realising this, but is there no connection between any of the first-party Mac apps with tag support? It would be really handy to have some sort of interface that lets me see where I've used a specific tag in Notes / Reminders / Finder (are there any others?) but as far as I can tell they're all siloed off?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Anything deeper than ~/Music might as well be the swirling vortex of mystery computer files from Hackers. Just don’t look at it IMO.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Reset the PRAM every time you boot, just in case

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Capital letters? Luxury! Half of my Safari tabs and bookmarks end up displaying favicons from some other random website instead

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

buglord posted:

1)Is there a free/low cost application that allows me to snap windows to halves of the screen like on windows?

My vote is for Swish, the trackpad gesture support is fantastic.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’m still using the DaisyDisk license I got from working at the Apple Store in like 2010 and I’m starting to feel a little guilty about it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I am constantly opening up a TextEdit window purely to paste and re-copy text without formatting, completely forgetting there’s an Alfred shortcut that would do it for me :doh:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I quite like DBeaver but I also don’t know if my use case is very typical

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Warbird posted:

How does the logic of what has "focus" of the media controls work? Is there some way to change what has that focus? Occasionally I'll have a youtube video playing and try to pause via F8 but that input is intercepted by something else that hasn't been messed with in hours.
This is something that used to just work flawlessly but a few years ago they changed something and hosed it all to hell.

If I ever make the mistake of watching a video on Twitter the media controls will be stuck trying to operate on that video until I close the entire Safari window (not just the tab).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Branch Nvidian posted:

⌘ + Spacebar is the ONLY way I ever launch applications on macOS and I use the equivalent method on iOS pretty consistently too. It's frustrating how close Windows has gotten to allowing a similar flow while still not quite getting it right.
PowerToys includes a utility called PowerToys Run which is basically Microsoft’s answer to spotlight. The PowerToys suite in general is IMO a must-have for Windows and includes several clearly Mac-inspired utilities.