Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this gets answered every week, but what is the best MS Office replacement I can use on Mac? OpenOffice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Define "MS Office replacement." If you just want a productivity suite, then people are generally going to say iWork. If you want 100% Office compatibility, then use Office. If you want free, I don't know. LibreOffice I think it's called now?

Well for now I'm not doing anything complicated with Office stuff just the occasional excel file etc.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So since I installed Mavericks on my 2012 Macbook Air I've had the "Service Battery" notice. Battery seems to last less than it did before. Do I just wait for a patch fix or what?

http://www.zdnet.com/macbook-users-seeing-service-battery-message-after-mavericks-upgrade-7000022588/

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have the same beachball thing.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ah hmm, so did it have nothing to do with using a different cord? I used maybe a plug from a like 15 inch macbook very briefly. I guess I'll take it in either way.

Maverick caused this for me. It eventually went away on it's own yesterday, but I have been letting it go completely empty and filling up the charge 100% before I use it each time now. :shrug:

I asked here about it earler.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mest0r posted:

If anyone was waiting to update to Yosemite due to trim support for your SSD, Trim Enabler app was updated and has full compatibility:

http://www.cindori.org/status-of-trim-enabler-in-yosemite/

Do I need this on my apple default SSD?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for time tracking / project management software? I really just need basic stopwatch functionality that can save each incidence as whatever project I'm working on, so I can keep track of where I'm putting most of my effort in on any given day.

I've been using working hours for the past half month and it's a piece of poo poo. The basic functionality is exactly what I need but the bugs are just killing me. The latest one is that for some reason, ever since the new month began, all work is recorded for the day following. Example: I put in some time on a thing I'm writing this morning, and it double entered it for both today and tomorrow, and when I manually created an entry for the class I teach tomorrow it shows it on the 4th.

If anyone knows of a go-to program that does what that PoS does I'd love a recommendation.

Maybe this? https://www.getharvest.com/

Oops not an online service. Beats me then. :iiam:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

I think the Mac Apple Pay is mostly useless but it's one of those things I might use if I'm feeling too lazy to get up and walk 2 feet to grab my wallet from the table.

Even if it's in my pocket I'm too lazy to get it out.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kill me please. Yeah, let the black woman dance it up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Great for sexting.