Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

~Coxy posted:

They replaced it with their own implementation which apparently works with Win7 machines but not much else, including WinXP and random NAS devices/ XBMC/Boxee/etc.

You can install samba3 through MacPorts, and I'm sure someone will package it soonish when it becomes apparent that we're back to the 10.1 days of nothing loving working interoperability-wise.

There is an RC build on the boxee box forums that works with Lion. It supports Lions SMB, AFP, and also NFS

For clean installs. Once you run the installer, reboot and hold down option. you will have a Recovery HD option now. Boot to it and you can clean install lion.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

El Jackalope posted:

I'm downloading Lion for my MBP at home right now, but I have 2 machines at work that I would like to upgrade (they are my macs, this isn't a :files: question since we are allowed 5 installs per Lion purchase) but they are connected to lovely, lovely DSL. Trying to download a 3.5 gig file on those crap phonelines would be bullshit, so can I just throw the .dmg file onto a usb stick and upgrade the work macs via that?

You get unlimited installs with lion btw plus 2 vm's per machine.

Yes, you can image the dmg to a usb stick or burn it to a dvd with disc utility.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ziploc posted:

Which is only good for upgrades right? And you can run it off the stick? Does it force an AppleID login every install?

No, you can clean install off of it. Insert usb drive or dvd, boot up holding option, and boot off of it. No authentication required. You are never asked for an appleID or anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ziploc posted:

This is amazing. I was going to hold off, but it turns out I can make my own USB Lion key for 30$ instead of waiting for physical release?

If yes, then I will click the buy buttan.

Yes, you can.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

lelandjs posted:

That's pretty sweet. I wonder what they did to make this work?

Put network drivers on the recovery partition and have it download the install image.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm pretty sure 1 purchase is good for 5 machines. If this is the case, it's going in the FAQ.

1 purchase = good for every mac you have control of.

Also the GM version is the exact same product you get off the app store. Updates come through software update, not the app store.

edit: you are also allowed to run 2 virtualized copies on every mac.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 20, 2011

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know how to remove the name of the currently logged in user from the upper right of the tool/menu bar? I know that i'm logged in, I dont need OSX to remind me!

Hold command on your keyboard, drag the menu bar item off the menu bar and let go of the mouse button

poof. Works for all the poo poo up there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

FamDav posted:

Is there any problem with having applications installed into the users directory as opposed to the general applications folder? Why doesn't OS X default to this behavior, anyways.

Because most people want applications available to everyone that uses the computer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

No, you have to boot off a disc (or USB I guess) to wipe the system. Do you really expect to be able to wipe a system while it's running?

I also did an in-place upgrade off the .dmg, so that will be nice for doing multiple machines.

I think you can boot to the recovery HD partition and format the primary. Then it will download and install lion off the internet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SourKraut posted:

Since buying Lion through the App Store conveys a 5-machine license, couldn't frunksock simply backup his Mini, format the HDD, and install Lion fresh by having burned the .DMG to a DVD or putting it on a USB stick?

Seems like that would work fairly well, as long as backing up the Mini is an option.

Yes, and for lion its as many machines as you control license, not 5 user.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I said 5 machines, not 5 users. But you're right in that it's as many machines that a person can authorize through the Mac App Store, which is unlimited. I was thinking of iTunes' 5-authorized machines restriction, but it doesn't apply here.

Yea, that was my typo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

I just installed an SSD on my MBP. Are there any tweaks I should be doing in Lion for maintenance? It's an OWC 120gig and they claim that it doesn't need TRIM and has garbage collection built-in.

No, no tweaks are required for your SSD.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just FYI, you can use macports and install Samba3 and get smb1 back. You have to configure it manually though through the smb.conf file.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

alo posted:

I'm hoping 10.7.3 comes out soon (if 10.7.2 is just "Features").

10.7.1 isn't even out yet. The version of 10.7.2 for developers is basically just for icloud testing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

gregday posted:

I'm pretty sure my 15" MacBook Pro doesn't have any GPS hardware in it, so how the hell does Find My Mac work so accurately?

I understand CoreLocation can use a database of known wifi hotspots, etc, but I'm using my own WiFi hanging off an ADSL connection and this thing is accurate down to my street address.

Someone drives by your house with gps. it picks up the hotspot and gps coordinates.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ouhei posted:

I think this is the right thread for this?

We currently have a 2011 iMac and are looking to trade it for a MacBook Pro, I'm a jerk and never backed the thing up so I finally went out and bought an external drive to use (got this little guy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...5&skuId=4668013) and the initial time machine backup is saying it's going to take 23 days, is this going to get a bit more accurate as time goes? The total amount on our HDD is about 225GB but it still seems...well excessive.

Time estimates are never accurate. Just let it go, Will probably take a number of hours.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you are fixing something anyway sure, but its not like it should be top priority unless there is a way to exploit it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Civil posted:

Through very unfortunate circumstances, I now have a 2012 Macbook Air. It belonged to a girl who got in an accident, and my wife had been helping the family. When they were going through things to move, they found the laptop, who no one wanted, and so now I have it. The girl can't talk, and therefore, I have no access to any of the passwords for the admin account or otherwise.

I'm happy to have the Mac, my last mac was an iBook, which I loved, but this is now the only apple product in the house. Since the guest account was so limited, I figured I'd just re-install the OS, and begin anew, setting up my own admin account so I could do what I like.

After a bit of googling, I found that the recovery partition held the OS installation files, since no media was shipped with the Mac. It was purchased in August 2012, soon after the 10.8 release, and the girl had upgraded it from 10.7 to 10.8. In doing so, the recovery partition was updated to contain the install files for 10.8.

I wiped the OS partition, and prepared to re-install MacOS, and it prompted me for an Apple ID. I don't know what ID she had used, nor the password, but I've owned a couple ipods and ipads, so I had an Apple ID. Unfortunately, I'd never bought MacOS, and it's telling me since I don't have a record of purchasing Lion on my Apple ID account, I can't install OS X.

I'd called Apple support, and the guy was friendly, but ultimately couldn't help. He told me I'd need to purchase OS X from anther mac on my Apple ID account to just be able to install OS X on this laptop. I couldn't do that on my Windows iTunes account, and he sent a message to someone else at apple itunes support, who also couldn't help. So I made an appointment at my local apple store.

What kind of insanity is this? It used to be that the "hardware dongle" joke was that you could only install OS X on a mac. Now, the OS license isn't tied to hardware anymore, it's tied to an apple ID? I guess I'm kind of stuck here, I'll be a bit upset if I have to re-buy MacOS for a computer for which it was already purchased.

I guess it's a bit of a cautionary tale for anyone looking to buy a used Mac. Is this the way it is with all models now?

If you know anyone with mountain lion on their apple account you can use their appleid and password.

Download this
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

Make a bootable usb stick with it and you should be able to install the original shipping OS (lion) without an appleid.

The original shipping OS is verified by serial number, not appleid. When she got mountain lion they gave her a code that registered it with her appleid.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

crazysim posted:

The idea is that the recovery partition you boot in has no installation media. It's just a cut down installer that fits onto a small partition on that SSD. You are asked authenticate in to download Mountain Lion from Apple servers.

Normally, when you buy a Mac, you start the machine up and register it with your Apple ID. This process registers a copy of Mountain Lion to your Apple ID with the serial of your computer.

As for Mountain Lion itself, it's not really tied to an ID. You should be able to use any copy of Mountain Lion to install onto the Mac. It's only the recovery procedure that's dependent upon an Apple ID being present.

Here are some options if the visit does not work out.

When you first boot the machine the original OS is not registered with your appleID. If you buy a mac with the old OS after the new one ships though you will get a claim code you use in the app store, that new version is registered with your appleid.

The original shipping OS is simply registered with the machine serial number.

If he boots that recovery usb stick i posted, removes all partitions on the ssd and then reboots, he should be able to boot into internet recovery which will install the original shipping OS.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Civil posted:

I'll still head to Apple store this afternoon to keep the appointment. I was nervous about wiping out the recovery partition, since I haven't owned a mac in several years and was unfamiliar with current recovery options, and thought I might really kill myself if I wiped out all recovery options, since I don't know any local mac users that I could tap in the event that I needed something.

I thought this would be a more common situation, and a quick trip to Apple's site on reinstallation and wiping didn't mention the pitfall I happened to fall into.

The machine has internet recovery built in. Once you wipe the recovery partition you can then boot and install the OS.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It sounds like your computer was never actually sleeping before and just had the monitor sleeping.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

NOTinuyasha posted:

I have an issue with this popping up constantly:

I've tried almost everything, disk repair/permissions, keychain first aid, clearing system/user cache, etc. I haven't changed my password recently and I have no idea what triggered this. Any advice before I spend the next few hours reinstalling OSX?

Delete the keychain from keychain manager and start a new one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Unarchiver is also free on the app store so it updates itself.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BusinessWallet posted:

I have kind of a unique situation, I was hoping I could find help with it here.

At work, I have a 2012 iMac, 3.1 Ghz i5, 6970M, 10.7.2, etc. I'm running boot camp into Windows 8 and every day, it BSODs, the error is always related to Intel Graphics Drivers:

On Wed 3/6/2013 8:01:42 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030613-25281-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: igdkmd64.sys (igdkmd64+0x23AA4F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8801D0DDA4F, 0xFFFFF8801B48B0B8, 0xFFFFF8801B48A8F0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys
product: Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows 8(R)
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: igdkmd64.sys (Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver, Intel Corporation).
Google query: Intel Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

It shows up as "Video Controller" in device manager, but it detects that it's not plugged into the computer :confused: I'm able to update the driver for it, but I'm not sure it makes a difference.

I realize that Windows 8 on boot camp is kind of YMMV, but I can't understand why it's crashing on video drivers that aren't even enabled...

Click the arrow next to "display driver" you have some video drive rinstalled for something.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

How much are you spending vs selling yours and buying a newer model that supports ML natively?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Now lets see what happens to home spun fusion drives.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TealShark posted:

Better than expected!

Mine is different

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

I would like a good, stable, lightweight IRC client for OSX.

Colloquy has a memory leak or something, because if I leave it running too long, it bogs down my system something fierce. So what are the alternatives?

I use limechat off the App Store

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

A lot of apps need reupholstering.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Windows 8 is supported now with 10.8.3.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Joe Don Baker posted:

Since this is most definitely software related, I'll put this here. Maybe someone is experiencing this too.

I'm on a new iMac with the 680MX graphics. I'm on 10.8.3. I setup a Win 8 Bootcamp. Everything is fine but the graphics driver keeps stopping and restarting. I figured this was because I had upgraded the drivers to the newest Windows drives. That didn't make sense since I don't recall having problems with that on previous Macs. I uninstalled the drivers completely and installed the ones from the Bootcamp driver pack. Same issue, even after I verified I was using those drivers. Any ideas?

Did you run or install anything else besides windows 8 and the new drivers? Games or apps or anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you arnt very technical, leave crossover alone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gunjin posted:

Do they sell physical media of OS X 10.8? I'm in a corporate situation where downloading the software is going to cause a giant poo poo fit between the purchasing people, the audit people, and the IT security people, and take several days to weeks to work out, but I have to get the upgrade so I can upgrade another piece of software to fix a crippling bug that's stopped my work cold.

No, you can make usb keys though with the download.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gunjin posted:

That's a bummer. Did they give no thought to corporate clients when they went media-less for their software? At this rate we're going to have to expense a gift card (that's going to be great to explain to finance and corporate audit) and then get a special internet line run that's outside of the corporate firewall.

Certainly someone has an internet connection somewhere that can connect to apple. You can also burn dvd's, doesn't have to be usb keys. Download it to one computer and burn a bunch of dvd's.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Martytoof posted:

From what I gather you don't even need to make any kind of custom stick. You just go to their volume licensing page, do some business stuff that businesses do with each other where money changes hands, then Apple gives you a volume license key that you redeem on ONE AppleID which then gives you carte blanche to copy the Install Mountain Lion.app to any computer you want within your license terms.

I think their issue is setting the firewall up so everyone has access to the app store.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea, great price. Picked it up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Stare-Out posted:

I've been using Colloquy since forever and it works just fine on top of being free. What's the major difference between Textual and it?

You can post your specs and uptime to irc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

the_lion posted:

Hey guys, having a bit of trouble with my Late 2012 imac, 10.8.3. I have a 1TB fusion drive.

Somehow, i've ended up with all these little partitions on the main drive (Macintosh HD). I just want to wipe the whole disk and flatten it but disk utility just won't let me. (I've tried booting off a external and doing it, but no dice)

Is there a good app that will let me do this?

Whatever setting you changed to let you see all the hidden partitions, undo it and go about your life. They are supposed to be there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

the_lion posted:

I tried wiping the drive in Black right at the top (also named "Macintosh HD" -though now when I go into disk utility it's calling that "Internal Drive.") and I got a "wipe failed" message.
Wiping just the "Macintosh HD" further down seems to be just fine.

Is that normal?

I'll uh...Turn those hidden partitions back off.

If you are booted into your install of OSX its not going to let you format the drive you are running off of. Boot from a thumb drive or off the recovery partition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

the_lion posted:

Sorry, just edited my post because I forgot to mention- i am booted off an external with 10.8.3 when i'm doing this.

If you dont care about whats on the drive. Click the top level of it, click the partition tab and do 1 partition and allow it to re partition.