Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

excellent bird guy posted:

Thanks! Am not a purist. In arch I use the same key sequence to run dmenu. Will for sure customize that as you said

You might also want to check out Alfred; I believe the basic version is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

excellent bird guy posted:

I'm going to start using BBEdit on the Mac for as much as I can. I hear that is the great classic Mac text editor. All I really want to do on a computer is edit text anyway, other than the usual browse internet. If I could ssh into my workstation from it, I'd be a happy camper.

Excellent editor (it doesn't suck).

Note that you can edit remote files over (S)FTP, which might address your SSH requirement. It looks like this is available in the free mode, too.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

Bob Morales posted:

TextWrangler is dead now right?

Yeah, they replaced it with the free version of BBEdit. (Not sure whether there are any significant feature changes.)

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

nexxai posted:

The one build into Alfred is pretty sweet

Seconded.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

TACD posted:

This looks interesting, cheers — I'll give it a go, though I'm suspicious of the long-term usability of any free software with a subscription option.

Yeah Bear is gorgeous. I basically want Bear but with the ability to store files in my own filesystem.

Joplin might handle your requirements.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

nexxai posted:

Just curious if anyone who uses iTerm can tell me how the "inactive" window coloring is set in the profile. I feel like I've tried every color option but have had no luck changing the background color (the lighter purple in the background of the left split).

I think this is via Appearance > Dimming > Dim inactive split panes. There's a slider to control the dimming amount.

Not quite what you're asking for but might help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

nexxai posted:

Holy poo poo, this is exactly it. Thank you!

Do you want platinum or something? This has been driving me insane for months.

Ah, no need for that (but thanks). Glad to hear the above solved the problem.