Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
E: better for the hardware thread

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

IUG posted:

I'm not "doomsaying". I'm saying I don't know if buying a Mac now is a wise idea considering I've been using my current one for 8 years, and anything I buy now will have a much shorter lifespan.

If it means anything to you, these will certainly be the last Macs to support Boot Camp. I installed Windows on my new 13" last week and omg I can play games now :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thing is if you're running Boot Camp it's not just to run Windows but programs compiled for Windows, which without exception are currently compiled for x86. Just because Windows is ARM doesn't mean Windows apps are compatible.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

That’s definitely the Bluetooth device auto pressing play upon connection. MacOS should probably not auto play in some situations like that though. I’ve never liked the play button launching an app and playing whatever in both iOS and macOS

Holy poo poo this happened to me twice this week when connecting to a Zoom call. I thought I was going nuts.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

Oh hey, it’s that lovely thing every other tech forum on the internet does where they don’t answer the persons question and just be a dick for no reason.

jfc thank you

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I got a big fuckoff 32" monitor yesterday, and it's great but obviously it needs some serious GUI changes compared to the 13" screen on this MacBook when it's undocked. Larger UI fonts for starters. Is there an easy way to make these adjustments automatically rather than manually zooming everything in/out as I switch displays?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh, that's excellent. Thank you!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I can't use attachments at all in the new Outlook. I'm sticking with Legacy Mode.

My music (from the Music app) shuts off when I'm using Bluetooth speakers and a message comes in. Any idea what's going on?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

~Coxy posted:

Something is sending an alert over the Bluetooth handsfree profile.

Oh you know what, my iPad is connected to the speaker as well. Hm, wonder if there's a way to disable it there without disabling it entirely. Thanks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

The article says these have been patched in the main Ventura install?

quote:

If you aren’t on Ventura but intend to upgrade right away, your first experience of the new version will automatically include the 112 CVE patches mentioned above, so the version upgrade will automatically include the needed security updates.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What's the good option for ad blocking these days? Setapp switched over to AdLock and it breaks too many sites to be useful.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Radirot posted:

I'm using Adguard. There's decent discount codes if you google for them.

Setup had been offering AdGuard, but they delisted it in March. Setapp is apparently based in Kyiv, AdGuard in Moscow and, well, "Russian ad blocker, go gently caress yourself" I suppose.

I'm surprised ublock isn't on Safari. Guess I can give wipr a try. Thanks all.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have a couple dumb questions I should probably have learned the answer to by now.

I've had the upgraded 2TB iCloud storage for forever now, largely as part of the One subscription. While I'd love to take advantage of it unfortunately it's been largely sitting at 1.95TB available because I don't know how to effectively use it, especially on MacOS.

For a specific example, I have two Macs, a 2020 Intel Macbook and this shiny new Studio. How can I use iCloud to automatically sync files between the two other than just the Desktop? I was surprised to find that their download folders don't sync, and I'd like to make that a priority. They both each also have specific folders I'd like synced up.

Can iCloud be effectively used as a backup of other folders on an External drive? What do other folks do with all of that space? It just seems like I have very little control of what ends up on there.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

teraflame posted:

Why did apple abandon Aperture?

I dont know but a decade later I'm still salty about it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dear Apple, this is not helpful

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have no idea if it's real or not. I clicked cancel and my computer didn't melt so :shrug:

e: I haven't installed 13.3.1 yet though; I'll do that now but even if that's where the dialog comes from it should say so.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

What’s confusing about it?

I hadn’t authorized a software update for anything at the time. I was just working on some crap in Excel and — bam — update box out of nowhere.

Interestingly, while I didn’t take a screenshot the password box for when I updated Ventura was slightly different, with my username and a white dot on the lock. I still don’t know what the screenshotted dialog was for.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

franco posted:

I poked around a bit and they've put an option to revert to "old" under the Outlook menu rather than on the taskbar itself and suddenly it isn't dogshit AND has brought back all the emails that had "vanished". And moments after going back to old it is offering an update to the old. Christ knows what will happen now!

e: sorry for my ranting bitchery

I've had to keep reverting to the old Outlook for over a year now because I can't send attachments with the New Outlook. It thinks my IT department has set an upper size limit of 0kb. I can't even reply to messages if their sig has an image or whatever.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You know for your Dad's specific situation, I think I'd recommend Carbon Copy Cloner and two or three external drives. CCC is extremely configurable, would him actively click a button to get the assurance he needs that the job is being performed, and having two drives means he can take one to your place for safe keeping and periodically swap them out, avoiding use of a cloud solution for offsite backup. If your place isn't feasible he could use a safe deposit box.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

As someone that has had to do tech support for an "eccentric" family member (before he stopped using laptops entirely :toot:), I am enjoying this in a weird vicarious way.

Yeah, same. Kinda like watching a quasi-ASMR video of someone taking care of a hoarder house.

e: At least his Dad knows how to use a computer, even if he's extremely particular about it. Trying to janitor my grandfather's while his dementia took hold was... not fun.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 23, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm running 13.6.3 and I have a headset that I use for multiple things - primarily USB connection from its base to my PC for Teams, but I use bluetooth from the base to my Mac. The problem is whenever it reconnects to my Mac it changes the sound output to the headset, which I don't want. I go back and change it to headphones (which plugs into my amp) but is there a way to make it stay on that output and not change when it detects a new one?

I have the opposite problem. Connect my Bose headphones and Teams decides no, it'll just continue to use my Arturia AudioFuse despite it not having a mic, so when someone calls I have to fumble about clumsily to change it. Seems to work okay with my AirPods though -- fancy that. Annoying!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
OWC might be more reputable than Apple when it comes to Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I used TouchDraw on my iPad a few years ago for just that purpose. Don’t know if there’s a MacOS port.