Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Ahahahha gently caress YOU Samsung for packaging your printer drivers in that lovely VISE X installer that requires you to literally quit every running program on your Mac in order to install a printer driver.

I would have used the ones that come from Apple which OSX auto-downloads when you first plug in your printer, but this one isn't connected to the network :(

But seriously. VISE X, everyone :golfclap:

Holy poo poo VISE X still exists? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I opened my Sys Prefs just a minute ago to get to something and I realized that my MobileMe was still there even though I've converted over to iCloud long ago. Is there a way to remove this preference panel? No big deal if the answer is no, just curious.

It probably will just go away after June with a software update :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

There's a menu option (I think under 'View') when you have System Prefs open to disable specific prefpanes from showing.

Ah, brilliant. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Howdy thread- I'm visiting my mom in LA and setting up a time machine for her and she mentioned to me that my stepfather has a script that is typewritten from 30 years ago that they tried using OCR software on but it was a no-go and just made an uneditable PDF. Is there a decent OCR package that they can use that doesn't cost $200 out there?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mongoibur posted:

If the file is not too humongous you can use a site like this http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/ or this http://www.pdftoword.com/ .
Both have worked for me.

I'll have her take a look. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've had a problem with the Mail app for a while and I just realized that it's been bothering me while I happen to be reading this thread. Ever since I updated to Lion, Mail no longer makes a notification noise when I receive mail. I have tried changing which sound it is supposed to make, restarted the app, etc and nothing changes this. Does anyone have any suggestions? This happens on all 4 of my macs running the latest versions of Lion.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just got ML from the app store on my 2011 MBA and saved the installer to a usb stick so I can upgrade my mid 2007 iMac and 2011 Mini without having to wait for it to download again for those 2 machines. My question is this: is the installer a universal, or are they machine-specific? I just want to make sure that I don't gently caress things up a bit.

Also, is there a site to find out how much my aforementioned 2007 imac is worth on the market? I really would rather just get rid of it and buy a thunderbolt display for my MBA to dock with; the old imac is really showing it's age these days and I'm not needing it as much as I used to.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eBay/Craigslist are usually wildly varying. I remember at one time there was a general pricing guide that seemed to be accurate, but I don't remember what it was.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That is the one. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jesus christ having software update happen in the App Store makes perfect sense as to where OS X is going but it still is a :psyduck: thing in my head.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ever since upgrading, my 2011 13" MBA is running hot and the fan is going off just while doing regular web browsing and checking mail. It used to do this only if some lovely flash video came up. Anyone else experiencing this?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oneiros posted:

Checked Activity Monitor yet? Unless it's been doing this for several hours I'd wager that it is just Spotlight reindexing.

I'll be damned. Yup.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm suddenly having connection problems with both my MBA and Mini running Mt. Lion. As of this morning neither device can connect to the Internet using my wifi network, but my other iMac running lion and all my iDevices are connecting with no issues whatsoever. Airport utility on both my MBA and Mini show that the cable router is disconnected and the airport is fine. I have restarted the cable modem but that changes nothing.

Is anyone else running into this? I'm off to work right now and hope that the iMac there isn't running into this problem as I don't have my Lion installer anymore to be able to roll back and I really need to be able to get online.

Edit: apparently I can connect online at work using the wifi setup here. So I'm thinking that there are some settings that Mt. Lion borked when installed into my MBA and Mini. This is very odd as my MBA was connecting just fine on my home network last night, and it was just this morning that it started having problems. I've deleted the network and re-added it in the network preferences, renamed the service, and reset the service order which has been suggested in other forums, but to no avail. Apparently this is a big problem for people and is quite widespread.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 27, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

I'm suddenly having connection problems with both my MBA and Mini running Mt. Lion. As of this morning neither device can connect to the Internet using my wifi network, but my other iMac running lion and all my iDevices are connecting with no issues whatsoever. Airport utility on both my MBA and Mini show that the cable router is disconnected and the airport is fine. I have restarted the cable modem but that changes nothing.

Is anyone else running into this? I'm off to work right now and hope that the iMac there isn't running into this problem as I don't have my Lion installer anymore to be able to roll back and I really need to be able to get online.

Edit: apparently I can connect online at work using the wifi setup here. So I'm thinking that there are some settings that Mt. Lion borked when installed into my MBA and Mini. This is very odd as my MBA was connecting just fine on my home network last night, and it was just this morning that it started having problems. I've deleted the network and re-added it in the network preferences, renamed the service, and reset the service order which has been suggested in other forums, but to no avail. Apparently this is a big problem for people and is quite widespread.

Anyone else having this problem? There are people suggesting such 'solutions' as quitting iTunes, changing the router from N to G, etc. Nothing seems to work for me. I have an Airport Extreme with the latest firmware.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I tried changing my IP as well to no avail. This is really bothersome :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My imac is getting really loving long in the tooth and I'm thinking of just replacing it with a Cinema Display that I can hook up to my MBA as I really barely use my iMac anymore anyway. The problem is that I have two loving enormous libraries that are hooked up to said iMac: iPhoto and iTunes, and my MBA's SSD is far to small to effectively carry either of them at all. Is there a way to set up a NAS and have the libraries based on that device so all my machines can access them at home? I'm asking the software thread because I'm not sure if iphoto and itunes can work in a NAS at all.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

diehlr posted:

You'd probably be much better off using a Thunderbolt based external drive. I can't imagine storing iTunes on a NAS would be anything but slow and quirky.

The thing is I would like to access iTunes from other machines in the house as well. If I'm in the basement doing work on the office iMac there I would like to listen to music stored in my upstairs iTunes library, and if the MBA isn't hooked up to it, then the drive won't be connected to anything. Same with iPhoto; I'd like the photos to be accessible from any Mac in the house.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

In my experience they only do the old iTunes sharing, not Home Sharing. It's not nearly as robust of a solution.

drat. :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm having a problem with my 2011 Mini since I've updated to Mavericks: I have an external drive where I store my music and videos, and suddenly I have lost permissions to write to it. I can read it no problem, and in the Get Info window in the Sharing & Permissions area it tells me that I can only read the drive, even though on the list it says my Privilege is Read & Write. Disk Utility says all is fine with the drive, but it will not allow me to Verify Disk Permissions.

What happened? :confused:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol internet. posted:

Is the drive formatted as NTFS by any chance? I had this issue with a NTFS formatted drive and I had to run a chkdsk on a Windows PC to fix the issue. If it's FAT it might as well be worth a try as well. I'm assuming your using Tuxera NTFS if it is. Ended up the drive wasn't ejected properly and it caused problems.

Might want to update critical data before running chkdsk though.

No it's MacOS Extended. I solved the problem; I ejected the drive and then plugged it back in. All is back to normal! :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there any compelling reason why I should switch from 1Password to iCloud Keychain? I can't think of any and was wondering if anyone here could maybe name some good reasons.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Supgaiz posted:

I use both. 1Password has a better password generator, can handle more fields than username/pass(i.e. my bank requires account number, id, and pass) and can be used on my gaming PC. iCloud Keychain autofills in Safari on my iPhone and iPad so I don't have to copy/paste from the 1Password app.

Hmm good point. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hey I'm going to have access to a web seminar next week and although afterwards I will have access to the recording, the access only lasts for a couple weeks. Is there a recommended piece of software that I can record it to my drive?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

japtor posted:

Assuming you mean videos, there's screen recorders, including QuickTime Player itself.

Otherwise what I've been able to do before with some online classes is download the source video itself by looking through the source or cache. Not sure how to do the latter in Safari but did it through Chrome (where about :cache is still a thing). Copy/pasted the URL into Safari's download window (or opt-return in the address field) to download since I couldn't figure out how to do that in Chrome :downs:

Yeah I had forgotten about the old source code trick, that worked. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Night shift is ok but man F. Lux still kicks it's rear end. I'm surprised that Apple didn't make NS a lot easier on the eyes, so I'm glad there is still an option.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Where can I download a 10.11.6 installer from? My co-worker has a mid 2009 unibody MBP that we just installed a replacement SSD due to his HD dying and I can't find anything except for an updater .pkg file on apple's site. I intend to put his MBP into target mode and format his new drive and install 10.11 to it from my 2015 MBP running 10.13.

Edit: Ah, I have learned that I can get this by going into the "Purchases" tab of the App Store. Nevermind!

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 26, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

i think most people clamouring for a modular mac pro would be satisfied with them just putting some pci slots in the thing; can't wait to see them screw that up

Jokes on you! They will revive NuBus

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Since the update to Mojave, iPhoto no longer has a share option to go to Flickr. I have Flickr Pro so I still rely on it (is there a way to post photos on boards directly from my iCloud photos? I dunno) and I need to reinstate this extension ability for Photos but can't find anything about it anywhere. Flickr has their auto uploader but I don't want to put my entire loving library on their site. Does anyone know how to get this ability back? I don't want to duplicate photos onto my desktop then drag them into the goddamned Flickr website.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Roadie posted:

For anyone using old non-subscription Photoshop, I recommend Affinity Photo as a replacement for the vast majority of what it does, including sliced exports.

Agreed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been having massive problems with Catalina staying on my WiFi on my early 2015 MBP. So far renewing the DHCP license and then rebooting seems to help, but I don't know if other people are having the same problem and it's been persistent. Anyone else have these issues?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Im trying out the "unlock my mac" thing with my iWatch v5 and 2015 MBP and it's only working intermittently. I have it turned on the mac, and it's worked a few times, but it seems to randomly do so. Is there some setting I should be looking for?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

IUG posted:

I'm not "doomsaying". I'm saying I don't know if buying a Mac now is a wise idea considering I've been using my current one for 8 years, and anything I buy now will have a much shorter lifespan.

Yeah my 2015 MBP's motherboard died a few weeks ago and I was bummed because I can't afford a new laptop at this time and I was thinking about getting one this summer (well, before the world meltdown happened). The repair was cheaper than it was quoted as though, and they also gave me a new battery AND replaced the screen and keyboard as well so I figure I can get another 2 years out of this just fine. By then I guess I can look at what the apple chip macs are like. Nonetheless, I think even buying a mac now will still be fine for at last 5 years of life.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mllaneza posted:

I've been elbow deep in more 2015 MBPs than I care to think about. That's not a repair, they moved your hard drive over to a working laptop. The only components that they didn't "replace" based on that list are the fans and maybe the speakers; a new top case (battery+keyboard) comes the speakers. Oh, and the mag safe board for the power connection, but those are about $29.

You got lucky. How many power cycles are on the new battery (in System Info under Power) ?

Oh yeah I figured as much for the motherboard swap (that’s what I refer to as a motherboard ‘repair’). 19 cycles on the battery.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A friend of mine’s daughter is wanting to play an old game that doesn’t run on newer versions of OS X. Does anyone know where she can download a disk image of High Sierra so she can install it on an external drive to boot from? The link I found on Apple’s site apparently opens her panel to check if her system is up to date instead of just downloading the image.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Unfortunately, Apple closed up direct avenues of downloading images. The only way to easily download a High Sierra installer is through the App Store.

However, there is a python script that will let you bypass the App Store and do a direct download of the HS/Mojave/Catalina installer, but it requires a fast internet connection and plenty of SSD/hard disk space.

https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts

After you assemble an installer, you can run a Terminal command to create a bootable USB key to install the OS; the USB drive has to be at least 8 GB in size, preferably 16 GB.

Good lord. Ok I'll pass this info along. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Strange request: does anyone know of software that can rip subtitle files from .mkv files?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SaintFu posted:

Depending on what format you need the subtitles in, you can use Subler.

I just need to extract .srt files from an .mkv to use them in another. That looks like it should work I believe. Thank you!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

If you have MKVToolNix you can use the command line arguments to mkvextract in the Terminal to extract them, if you really wanna nerd out lol.

My understanding of command line is limited to like 2 or 3 things so that's not really a option for me :sweatdrop: but thank you!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tbh I’m still a bit baffled and annoyed that for no explained reason whatsoever Apple took out the ability to view animated gifs in Preview long ago so I can see someone getting mad that they might pull that poo poo with FaceTime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been using F.Lux for years and really enjoy it, but would really love to be able to turn to full 1200k at will as it's really easy on my eyes normally unless I'm watching a video or doing some photo crap. Is there a way to do this other than going into the preferences and changing the "when I wake up" time and moving the color slider all the way to the left? I'd love to just be able to toggle it on and off.