Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

frumpsnake posted:

The Twitter app hasn't been properly updated in years, it's not going to sync poo poo.

If you cough up a few bucks for Tweetbot for iOS (and you should), the free alpha client for Mac will sync your position via TweetMarker. (The final release will support iCloud too.)

Appreciate it. I use Tweetbot now with the alpha, but it doesn't sync with TweetMarker for some reason.

Was hoping that since Apple is all about iCloud and syncing between devices, they would realize syncing twitter feeds might be something smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Echofon also syncs your read tweets between mobile and computer, and you can get it for free if you don't mind ads.

Also, I guess my CNN experience was just some weird nonsense. So has anyone had any remarkable bugs like at the Lion release, or is this update fine?

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket

Macintosh posted:

gently caress yeah! It looks like Launchpad hides Adobe junk by default now.

I don't even use launchpad that often but this pleased me no end to see all of that poo poo gone!

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I signed up for my Mountain Lion upgrade code last night at around 9:30. I still haven't been mailed it yet :arghfist::(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zenostein posted:

So has anyone had any remarkable bugs like at the Lion release, or is this update fine?

Well, my Time Machine is still set to "preparing backup" and it didn't let me login when I woke it up from sleep so I had to restart but I'm still going to lay the blame on some of that on Spotlight still indexing everything (3 days to go!).

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

SgtScruffy posted:

I signed up for my Mountain Lion upgrade code last night at around 9:30. I still haven't been mailed it yet :arghfist::(

I got mine yesterday after only a few minutes but the code didn't work. I think they are having problems and aren't sending out codes until its fixed.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
What the heck is this Game Center thing? Is it supposed to work even a little bit? I put in my Apple ID and password, and it pops up a blank dialog with only a "Cancel" option. I close it, retype my password, and now when I click login it just doesn't do anything. I think the blank dialog is supposed to pop up a EULA or something, but it doesn't.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Messages will be a really fantastic app some day. Until then, they have a shitload of work to do. Whenever it decides to switch protocols, it gives my contacts a different icon -- which should be unified in the Address Book (Yes, now Contacts, I know) -- making it seem like I'm having this schizophrenic conversation between two or three different people instead of the one person I'm just trying to have a conversation with. When I want to share something from Safari or Preview, why can't it highlight for me the protocol I'm currently using to talk to that person? Why do some messages occasionally go to my iPad, which I have never used Messages on?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Fren posted:

Messages will be a really fantastic app some day. Until then, they have a shitload of work to do. Whenever it decides to switch protocols, it gives my contacts a different icon -- which should be unified in the Address Book (Yes, now Contacts, I know) -- making it seem like I'm having this schizophrenic conversation between two or three different people instead of the one person I'm just trying to have a conversation with. When I want to share something from Safari or Preview, why can't it highlight for me the protocol I'm currently using to talk to that person? Why do some messages occasionally go to my iPad, which I have never used Messages on?

iMessages sent to your appleid address will go to all your iOS devices registered with that ID.

When using the share sheet, if you start typing the name of the person, it'll let you choose which address you send to and it does show the protocol.

I'm guessing the contact icon thing is because people on some services like google talk, AIM, YAHOO etc can SET their contact icon and that might be different than what's in your address book.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

echobucket posted:

iMessages sent to your appleid address will go to all your iOS devices registered with that ID.

When using the share sheet, if you start typing the name of the person, it'll let you choose which address you send to and it does show the protocol.

I know. But it doesn't show me what protocol I'm using to currently talk to that person.

And iMessage just rejected my password out of nowhere, after being logged in and talking to people all morning.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Manky posted:

What the heck is this Game Center thing? Is it supposed to work even a little bit? I put in my Apple ID and password, and it pops up a blank dialog with only a "Cancel" option. I close it, retype my password, and now when I click login it just doesn't do anything. I think the blank dialog is supposed to pop up a EULA or something, but it doesn't.

Maybe the servers are just overloaded from people signing up with Game Center? I dunno, I've been a game center users in iOS for a long time, so I just signed in and it worked.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Fren posted:

I know. But it doesn't show me what protocol I'm using to currently talk to that person.

And iMessage just rejected my password out of nowhere, after being logged in and talking to people all morning.

It'll show you what protocol when you SWITCH protocols. And in the Messages window at the top you can click on their name and it'll show you a drop down list of the person's accounts and which one you are talking to. And you can choose a different one and it'll switch

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket

Fren posted:

I can't wait for that day but yeah, it's got a long way to go!
It's frustrating that I can't just tie my phone number to it so that when I send a message to someone that hasn't got my email address they don't get all pissed off and confused as to why there's suddenly two conversations

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

This is a test with the new dictation feature Armand see how well it works it's propagate to make heaps of mistakes because it doesn't recognise Australian accent properly arm I'll leave it as it is with the typos and then after this Olcott without the dictation. Wallets not necessarily making to me thanks truants really something that the working world state incentives Whitsundays you ready to get people talking it's only not sure if I'm really ready to try this arm will ever seen a pretty funny and officer were mentally yelling at the computer screens you and seeing what sort of Colleens she is called a mention using this as some sort of pretty stupid thing

Ah yeah........ I can see why this isn't called "Siri" yet.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

echobucket posted:

It'll show you what protocol when you SWITCH protocols. And in the Messages window at the top you can click on their name and it'll show you a drop down list of the person's accounts and which one you are talking to. And you can choose a different one and it'll switch

You don't understand what I'm frustrated about :) Don't worry about it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

duck monster posted:

This is a test with the new dictation feature Armand see how well it works it's propagate to make heaps of mistakes because it doesn't recognise Australian accent properly arm I'll leave it as it is with the typos and then after this Olcott without the dictation. Wallets not necessarily making to me thanks truants really something that the working world state incentives Whitsundays you ready to get people talking it's only not sure if I'm really ready to try this arm will ever seen a pretty funny and officer were mentally yelling at the computer screens you and seeing what sort of Colleens she is called a mention using this as some sort of pretty stupid thing

Ah yeah........ I can see why this isn't called "Siri" yet.

Probably because Siri is meant to be an assistant with a personality. The dictation in OS X is just dictation.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
Okay, what am I missing? Is strikethrough only in red in Preview now? There's got to be a color picker somewhere, right?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

echobucket posted:

Maybe the servers are just overloaded from people signing up with Game Center? I dunno, I've been a game center users in iOS for a long time, so I just signed in and it worked.

No worries, it's not a feature I'll ever use, just mad that it doesn't work.

I'm madder that AirPlay refuses to work since I upgraded. Wasn't that supposed to be a major point in ML? The Expresses that have been fine for years now just time out when I try to play anything.

vvvvvv yeah that loving thing

Manky fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 26, 2012

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Thish is good guys... reallysh. We tested it and everythin' *staggers to ground, vomiting*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

Appreciate it. I use Tweetbot now with the alpha, but it doesn't sync with TweetMarker for some reason.

It seems like at this point in the Alpha it only syncs when you first launch the app, but even that's not totally dependable yet. This is still alpha software though, so I wouldn't worry about it yet. If you need something that works right now, Osfoora is pretty good and it syncs with TweetMarker.

quote:

Was hoping that since Apple is all about iCloud and syncing between devices, they would realize syncing twitter feeds might be something smart.

I'm sure someone at Apple realizes this, but there's not much they can do since they don't make any Twitter apps.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

gregday posted:

Probably because Siri is meant to be an assistant with a personality. The dictation in OS X is just dictation.

Its not very good. Actually, its unuseable. Unless one actually wants to carefully read it a bunch of finely crafted words, have it disapear for half an hour and return with garbled vogon dada poetry.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I finally got gamecenter to show me something.

:suicide:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

mediaphage posted:

I avoided this issue by assigning them to hot corners in syspref!

Yeah...that's not really an acceptable fix.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

duck monster posted:

garbled vogon dada poetry.

New thread title: Mountain Lion's Garbled Vogon Dada Poetry

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I'm having a problem with iCloud tabs. On my MacBook Air, I installed a new SSD, installed Lion, bought the upgrade to Mountain Lion and upgraded. Then I did a restore through internet recovery pretty much just to see if I would have to install Lion and upgrade again if I wanted to restore.

Anyways, now that previous installation of Mountain Lion is showing up in my iCloud tabs and I have no idea how to remove it. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Should have Googled before. Gotta wait 7 days for it to expire for those who are also curious.

birds fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 26, 2012

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Cool, 24hrs later and still waiting for the email. I'm not the only one still waiting am I?

gregday
May 23, 2003

duck monster posted:

I finally got gamecenter to show me something.

:suicide:

http://screenshotsofdespair.tumblr.com/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ever since upgrading, my 2011 13" MBA is running hot and the fan is going off just while doing regular web browsing and checking mail. It used to do this only if some lovely flash video came up. Anyone else experiencing this?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Cool, 24hrs later and still waiting for the email. I'm not the only one still waiting am I?

You are not.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Ever since upgrading, my 2011 13" MBA is running hot and the fan is going off just while doing regular web browsing and checking mail. It used to do this only if some lovely flash video came up. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm assuming you've already done an SMC reset?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Nope. Been over a day here too.

PFlats posted:

I called up Apple (been about 10 hrs here now), they said to email uptodatesupport@apple if I hadn't gotten my email in 72 hours. :sigh:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Checked Activity Monitor yet? Unless it's been doing this for several hours I'd wager that it is just Spotlight reindexing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oneiros posted:

Checked Activity Monitor yet? Unless it's been doing this for several hours I'd wager that it is just Spotlight reindexing.

I'll be damned. Yup.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I'll be damned. Yup.

Probably should be at the top of the OP.
Q: "Why is my Mac running so damned hot?"
A: "Adobe Flash Spotlight."

Between Spotlight reindexing and the XCode update installing my i5 was completely pegged and even with the the fans going full-blast it was still at a toasty 98ºC for a while.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Nope. Welcome to the joy that is Apple web services.

Speaking of, it's kind of incredible to me that anyone would ever entrust Apple's mail or iCloud file services for their business.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Sent from my iPad posted:

Nope. Welcome to the joy that is Apple web services.

Speaking of, it's kind of incredible to me that anyone would ever entrust Apple's mail or iCloud file services for their business.

I wouldn't. I would always encourage people to use Google's services - my free Gmail has been fine since the day I got it, where as the apple services have gone down several times and transitioned through several iterations, each incompatible with the previous.

One good thing from ML - Skype now no longer require the discreet graphics even when it is not on a call - it now uses integrated and kicks it up to discreet only when in a call. This means one less thing for GFX status to deal with and I no longer need to explain to my friends why their brand new MBP only gets 3 hours battery rather than 7

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

duck monster posted:

Its not very good. Actually, its unuseable. Unless one actually wants to carefully read it a bunch of finely crafted words, have it disapear for half an hour and return with garbled vogon dada poetry.
It's not very good. Actually, it's unusable. Unless one actually wants to carefully read it a bunch of finely crafted words, have it disappear for half an hour and return with garbled Vogan.poetry.

I'm guessing it's just your weird voice. This entire post was done with dictation and I encountered little to no problems with it. Certainly not unusable in any sense of the word.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

As pointed out above, holding down Option while looking at the File menu will reveal Save As. Apple does a lot of focus testing. The focus groups no longer target tech savvy people, and this is due to more and more nontechnical people buying computers. I can't remember where Siracusa made a similar point in that lengthy review.

Jony posted:

We don’t do focus groups — that is the job of the designer. It’s unfair to ask people who don’t have a sense of the opportunities of tomorrow from the context of today to design.

Jony Ive in an interview in March.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Fren posted:

echobucket posted:

I'm guessing the contact icon thing is because people on some services like google talk, AIM, YAHOO etc can SET their contact icon and that might be different than what's in your address book.

In Messages, you can select a person, then "Show Info". Under the "Address Card" tab, there's a preference "Always use this picture". That will tell Messages to always use that Contacts photo instead of whichever avatar the person has set for the particular protocol.

Unfortunately it looks like that needs to be set per-person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

duck monster posted:

Am I the only person for whom firefox is incredibly broken in mountain lion?

The CSS just isnt loading at all in in somethingawful and facebook. Google and twitter seem ok.

Also... lots of beachballs. Beachballs everywhere. This new lion has yet to do anything to impress me yet :/

e: Ok shift reload seems to fix it. Must have had its cache smushed somewhere in the upgrade.

I'll just wait and see if the rest of this stabilizes.

I've been having this issue off and on in Firefox as well, with CSS not loading on lots of random pages in ML. Refreshing never helps, but closing and reopening firefox seems to do the trick. I don't get it.