Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Cripple Fight posted:

I would say it's probably getting mashed but I'm getting 6-7MB/s so it's ok if you can actually get through

Is there a way to view the transfer rate in the App Store like there is with iTunes downloads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

hannibal posted:

Go to your Purchased tab, you can watch it downloading there.

(Downloaded in 30 min for me, thanks FiOS)

That shows some of what I wanted, but not transfer rate (like when you option-click in iTunes). But it's something to watch.

Thanks.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Jack's Flow posted:

My Kindle for Mac application is pretty much dead since the upgrade to Lion. It doesn't download titles anymore and I can't even log on to my Kindle/Amazon account.

I had the same problem. This may not strictly be related to the OS upgrade: I also changed laptops and restored my old Time Machine backup to the new laptop today. However, this process worked:

I deleted the app, deleted the Kindle folder from ~/Library/Application Support/ and redownloaded the app from the App Store. It's working for me now, though I have to redownload all my books.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Non-Lion chat:

I know I'm years behind on this, but Delicious Library is awesome. I just changed jobs, and am setting up my study at home to be my new office. This entails moving hundreds of books to my basement. Scanning them into Delicious Library and adding a note that the item now lives downstairs is going to save a lot of "where did I put that book?" over the next year.

Not to mention the whole "hold the book up to the webcam and let it figure it out for me" thing is way cool.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Xandu posted:

It's a fun program, I wish there was an iphone app for it though, at least to do the scanning. I don't have the patience to hold thousands of books up to my computer.

Yeah, and that's why I never bothered with it until this one project came up. I could never see myself cataloging everything. Plus I have a kid who thinks it's fun, and has been appointed "project intern."

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Accipiter posted:

All it does is save a copy of the unedited image in whatever alternate format you ask of it.

Not my experience testing this again just now. I printed a doc to PDF, opened in preview, added a signature and exported it, without saving the original. I then opened the exported copy and it contained my modification.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Accipiter posted:

And this is just talking about Preview. What about other applications that lack both "Save As..." AND "Export..."? Like say, TextEdit for example. Here's a perfect example. Open TextEdit, create a simple document, and "Save..." it to the desktop. Now make a minor change to the file, and find a way to save it in the exact same format as a completely separate document with a separate filename. YOU CAN'T DO IT.

Ugh. Hadn't even looked at other apps like TextEdit for this.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I only just realized while setting up my new machine that Fraise is dead. :cry:

You can still find it on MacUpdate and such but it won't be updated for Lion.

Does it need to be? I've been using it on Lion on my new MBA without issue.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Any idea what would cause my 2011 MBA (not that that should matter) running Lion to start suddenly doing this when I try to type a Z? I haven't made any preference changes, that I know of, and it's happening in Safari forms, text documents and the like.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks, that worked. I wonder why it started to be an issue just this afternoon. I use an uppercase Z a lot and haven't seen this. The only key I was holding down was the Shift modifier.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Inside Outside posted:

I just switched to Safari from Firefox so I could use all the new Lion features for it. Since then I've noticed that I can't click on any thumbnails in the forums to make them expand or view them in a new tab. I can right click and open them in a new tab where the image will be its original size, but that's not really as convenient. I haven't gotten much in the way of help from Google, I saw someone with a similar issue fix it by clearing out their cache but I didn't have any luck with that.

Try here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427084

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

NerdPolice posted:

How does the Mac version of Chrome stand up? I currently use Firefox over Safari but was thinking about replacing it.

I use it for its built-in Flash support when necessary and use Safari for everything else. It's never running long enough for any quirks to bother me.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Am I blindly missing something, or does the Lion DVD player app not support AirPlay?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

I just go with the Gruber method of uninstalling it and using Chrome when you really really need it.

I've done this on my MBP and my Air, and it's remarkable how little I hear the fans now.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Cockwhore posted:

last I checked, if you edit metadata in iTunes, it writes it to the iTunes library but not to the file itself, so if you move the file, the data gets lost. Is that still the case?

Right-click on the track(s) in iTunes, choose "ConvertID3 tags..." and iTunes will write the metadata into the file(s), not just the library.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Have you tried adding the drive to your login items? Drag it into the window to auto-mount it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Not sure if this is a hardware (decoder) or software (player) problem, but the DVD Player app on my 13" MBA has stopped playing sound from both physical discs (using MBA external Superdrive) and ISOs. Other apps play sound just fine, and the discs can be ripped by Handbrake including the audio.

Is there some hidden mute setting I'm overlooking, or a preference file I can delete?

Relevant info:

Version of DVD Player:

Files I've deleted and let be recreated, to no avail:

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Yep, there's a link to redeem iTunes gift cards on the front page of the App Store.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

In Lion, is there a way to force Preview to always open PDFs in Single Page view? They always open in continuous scroll view, and I always have to change it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's a good utility to convert FLAC audio into an iTunes-compatible format (AAC, MP3, etc)? Everything I see tends to be some system-takover audio player.

I use xACT

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

What's the best way to end up with a single m4v/MP4 file from a DVD that's split across chapters? I have a music tutorial DVD which Handbrake detects as made up of 11 chapters, and I want the whole thing in a single file for my Apple TV.

Thanks

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

McFunkerson posted:

It should default to converting all chapters, but you can check right next to the "Title" drop down, it will say Chapters ___ through ____. It's hard to find being right towards the top of the window in plain view, but you might be able to find a screen shot with google image search.

Thanks, but that doesn't do it. I was using the wrong term. I mean titles, not chapters. The list on the left:

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 21, 2011

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

japtor posted:

just tag them all as episodes of a show, then again I don't know if Apple TV does continuous play with TV shows if you want that.

That's what I wound up doing. It just wasn't worth the additional :effort: to make it one video.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Office sucks so much balls on the Mac. Import 20,000 line CSV file? Beachball for 2 minutes then probably crash. Make a graph from some of that data? Crash.

It has to be ten times slower than the Windows counterpart. I swear using XP+Office 2003 on a Pentium III would smoke any current Mac running Office 2010. And have more functionality.

Counterpoint: I just imported a 60,000 line CSV file in <12 seconds on an 2011 MBA with 4GB RAM. But I suppose you follow your own lovely advice on RAM and don't have enough.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

You also didn't say what version of Office you are using, which can cause these huge differences in processing time. Office 2008 was absolute garbage, Office 2011 is a step in the right direction.

I'm using Office 2011. Bob Morales mentioned using Office 2010, but I'm sure he meant 2011.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

I'm having a little difficulty following the discussion: is the consensus that the Software Update version of 10.7.3 is hosed, but the combo updater from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484 is OK? Or are they both intermittently hosed?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks, I went with the combo and it seems fine.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Tutu posted:

What stuff do you guys mainly use the Alfred powerpack for? It looks cool but I'm not sure if I need these features.

This kind of thing: http://blog.alfredapp.com/2011/08/02/alfred-extensions/

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Would anybody know of a OSX program that would allow me to save and search folder structures of external drives not plugged into my Mac?

I basically have about 10 external hard drives, and occasionally I am missing a file that is on one of them. I'd love to search for the file name and have search result that tells me which drive it's on.

Right now I just copy the folders of each hard drive into its own Text Edit file, put all 10 text files into a folder, then search that folder with Finder for the file I'm looking for. But there has to be a better way... as it involves manually copy and pasting all files to a text file.

Something like this? http://obviousmatter.com/disklibrary.html

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Yea it's just the attachments, I'm using a SSD so space is somewhat of a premium and mail is eating up 5GB.

Does this give you what you want?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Checked here? http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

What's the simplest method for transferring contents + OS of my Macbook's internal HD to a newer, larger one (this is with Lion)?

I have an external USB enclosure I can use. Should I just format the new one in the enclosure and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything from the old one before I physically swap the drives? I don't want to deal with a new OS install and Migration Assistant if I can avoid them. I do have a current Time Machine backup, if that offers any options.

Thanks

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

kapalama posted:

Seconded. If a MacBook (and Intel based Mac) cannot boot from USB, there is something wrong.

Windows will not boot from USB, so Of course that does not work.

Yes but it will install from USB.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

The hardware change will certainly cause Office to prompt for a registration key. Not sure about the others.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Mike Bombich has also tirelessly updated CCC for years, listens to users complaints, and has been great about supporting the drat thing essentially for free; for all the times CCC saved my bacon I thought it was only fair to throw some back at him (I bought it.)

This. I bought it as well, having used it most recently just last month when I switched SSDs. I don't mind paying for good software.

It's also on a pre-ML sale for $29.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Premise overload?

http://patdryburgh.com/blog/preparing-for-john-siracusas-review-of-mountain-lion/

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

It does. Mine's doing it right now.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Now that I have a ton of Ram I don't mind iTunes so much, it pretty much stays open 24/7 anyway so there are not many problems with launching it to sync. I just wish I could hide poo poo like Ping and iTunes Radio.

You can:

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

So post-Mountain Lion I have noticed that I can no longer create aliases to external video files by option-dragging them to my iTunes window. I can only copy the file into the iTunes library (which I don't want to do). Anybody have a workaround or advice?

I'm still able to, so it's not necessarily ML related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Upon closer inspection it seems that they are importing (they appear in my recently added playlist) but aren't showing up in my library when I click on Movies. Don't know why that would happen.

Oh, I've had that happen with songs. No idea what caused it other than library database file fuckery. It went away when I trashed the library and rebuilt it in a fit of pique. Sorry I can't be of more help.