Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Why are the half dozen PDF files I have open stacked and obscuring each other? How do I make them unstack?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

decypher posted:

Because that's how poo poo works in Mission Control. What you want is All Window Expose.

I can't find that option.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

decypher posted:

edit: Regrettably, It seems I have mis-remembered and that feature appears to have been stripped from OSX in favor of Mission Control, which is Steve Jobs loving us again.

Oh. Holy. poo poo.

There is no way I can't write an essay without seeing my PDF docs.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

law abiding rapist posted:

Two finger scroll when the mouse is over the preview windows and it will spread them out.

I have an iMac with click button mouse. What do I do?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

law abiding rapist posted:

Try the scroll wheel?

That's even worse:

Edit 2 :

A ha!

Edit 3:

Oh christ, why do I have to click a window three times before it's brought to focus? It's like it can't quite get there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmQE5GW62r8

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 23, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

duck monster posted:

If you do a lot of pdf journal reading, you should put serious consideration into getting an ipad, even just a cheap second hand 1st gen (which are still perfectly capable machines). They are the greatest thing ever if you have to do a lot of reading.

Yeah absolutely agree, I'm just hanging out for one with a higher res display and then I'll be all over it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

ToastyX posted:

That's because you're moving the window slightly when trying to click. Honestly, they should make that count as a click because it's too easy to do. I've encountered this myself, and it wasn't a problem before Lion. If this bothers you, report it as a bug. The more people that report it, the more likely it will get fixed.

Ah, the same problem the safari beta with tabs up top had.

Thanks.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I found this really handy website on all the new Lion things:

http://mac.finerthingsin.com/

e.g.

http://mac.finerthingsin.com/post/7277323077/lion-allows-resizing-of-windows-from-any-side-or

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I just did a clean install of Lion and now I can't disable the inverted scrolling. I was able to disable it before :(

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 7, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Martytoof posted:

What mouse do you have? Try unplugging and plugging it in again maybe?

Microsoft Intellimouse.

I just plugged in the original apple mouse and now I can disable it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

ndrake posted:

I'm not really a power user but I felt like leopard and snow leopard were very smooth. I also don't remember any significant bugs bothering me with the launch of tiger but that's probably selective memory.

Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion have all been very smooth for me on my early 2008 iMac with 4GB RAM. I always completed a format before installation though.

Expose in Snow Leopard loving sucked though. Lion's implementation takes the good things about Expose in Leopard and turns it into something even better.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 13, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

ikillhostages posted:

That didn't work.

You have to intall it and select the right option in the prefpane.

Edit: although maybe it only works with a microsoft mouse.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 14, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

quote:

Rudix: The hassle-free way to get Unix programs on Mac OS X

http://code.google.com/p/rudix/downloads/list

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I bought a bluetooth receiver so I can stream music to my speakers from my iMac. It works perfectly with everything except skype (I don't have the options in prefs to change the output device).

Why is that?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 15, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Does anyone know what's going on with the overlap here?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

carry on then posted:

That's how Mission Control displays 3 windows from different apps. The algorithm doesn't put space between them until you have a few more apps and/or windows open.

So I opened 6 and now I can't even see all the windows:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

japtor posted:

Are the windows all the same size? If so I think that's a bug that's been around for a while, I remember something similarly funky happening with 10.6's Exposé too sometimes when I had same sized windows.

Yeah, the windows are the same size. That seems to be the problem.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

eames posted:

ClicktoPlugin 2.5.2 now supports Airplay

Is it possible to add this feature to a program like mplayerx?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I'm trying to get off skype because every update seems to make the interface more clunky than the last.

Is there voice interoperability between iChat and GTalk? I only need voice.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Is there any limit on how many times I can re-download my purchased music from iTunes?

I plan on using this feature instead of backing my music up and I don't want to be caught out 10 years from now by discovering that I can only download it like 5 times.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 15, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

http://www.winamp.com/mac

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not going to dare try and ask this in the Diablo thread so I was hoping to see if I could get some advice. I basically never game on PC so I am a total newb when it comes to this stuff.

I'm playing the D3 beta and my 2009 macbook pro:

Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

According to the site, my laptop exceeds recommended requirements, yet the game runs at like 2 FPS on bare minimum settings. This is basically the problem I have had with the few games I have tried to install on this thing. I always exceed the requirements but every game runs like total poo poo. Maybe it's just a beta thing but I don't want to buy D3 just to find that I can't play it. What gives? Why won't my laptop play games it should be able to run just fine?

Edit: Nope. I am retarded. it's my video card isn't it? I have been waiting for this loving game for 5 years and I'm not going to be able to play it :cry:

The Diablo 3 thread indicates there is still a crippling mac specific bug.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

flavor posted:

Don't get too specific with descriptions, links or anything.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468869&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=177#post402843136

Blizzard support:

quote:

Bear in mind that the beta has its own FPS issues simply because it's a beta; Diablo III won't be optimized until release. My custom-built gaming system can't play the beta smoothly either, but it will be fine on release. Blizzard betas are genuine betas, unlike the glorified demos that some companies refer to as a "beta".
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4427566486#15

Seems pretty clear that predicting performance right now is pointless.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Do we know about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqTKFPw154

Just used this feature to figure out the path to my new WDTV media player NAS.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 8, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

So I use the sizeup app to manage my windows and I couldn't live without it.

The problem is that I end up re-centering my Firefox window several times a day because I accidentally move or resize it with my cursor.

Is there a way to disable window resizing/moving with the mouse entirely? I never use the mouse to adjust window positioning and now it's just irritating.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 21, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

KingEup posted:

So I use the sizeup app to manage my windows and I couldn't live without it.

The problem is that I end up re-centering my Firefox window several times a day because I accidentally move or resize it with my cursor.

Is there a way to disable window resizing/moving with the mouse entirely? I never use the mouse to adjust window positioning and now it's just irritating.

Anyone got a solution?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Is there a way to set up a non-apple keyboard to power-off my display?

Control + Shift + Eject works on apple keyboards but I can't figure out how to get it working on my logitech solar keyboard.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

So my dongle just arrived and now I have a dual display setup.

Question:

I have an 5657 × 2289 image that I would like to span the entire 3840x1200 workspace.

Why can't I find the option in Preferences?

If there is no way to enable this, how can I use Preview to slip the image straight down the middle?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Ziploc posted:

What does one do if they want smart borders on a Mac?

One reads the OP. See: 'Window Management'

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

decypher posted:

You see the old style exposè with every window from every app then the spaces on top. It's basically Mission Control without the windows grouped by application.

Leopard and Snow Leopard both had different expose styles. Which does it revert to?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

quote:

now, when you buy an album, song, movie or TV show on any device, it’s instantly accessible in your iTunes library on your Mac or PC. Just double-click to play. Or if you’re going offline — say, taking your notebook on a plane — click the new Download button and bring a copy with you.

This tid about the new iTunes suggests that I'll be able to play (stream) my purchased music or download it.

Am I missing something? I would love to stream all my music from the cloud.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

wolffenstein posted:

That's been the case with iTunes Match, plus music you didn't buy through the iTunes Store.

Ah so it seems they'll be extending that feature to purchases as well.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I've had to start using my iMac in safe mode because after it boots the UI becomes unresponsive and goes all pixelated. I'm assuming the video card (an 8800GS) is broke.

Is it possible to disable the video card acceleration so I don't have to constantly boot into safe mode?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Scrolling is much improved in Mavericks (on a new RMBP) but I still find it a bit jittery in Safari. Is this a problem that's really hard to fix or something?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Guys I'm doing a clean install of El Cap on my girlfriends Macbook and I've created a bootable usb key to do this. She currently has Yosemite installed and I've just used an external HDD to do a time machine back up.

Will I be able to restore from a time machine backup made on Yosemite? Will it prompt me to restore automatically or will I have to do something else?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

carry on then posted:

You'll want to use Migration Assistant pointed at the Time Machine volume if you're doing a clean install. You could also just do the upgrade, it's pretty reliable nowadays and with the TM backup you have insurance in case it isn't.

Thanks for this migration assistant worked flawlessly.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Can someone explain how spotlight indexing works? Will it index any drive that gets plugged into it? I want to plug in an external HDD to someone else's Macbook and rather it didn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Does anyone know if it's possible to get nearest neighbor scaling working like this on macOS?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/844905/geforce-drivers/-feature-request-nonblurry-upscaling-at-integer-ratios/post/5180305/#5180305